• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 14 |OT| - A Fraud Probably Injures Himself

squicken

I've made this point, and one of the guys on NFLN made it recently. Mike Pettine has every reason in the world to want Manziel to bust. He and Farmer have been at war all year. This week he called out the "rest of the building". He's said it's possible some guys have quit. He basically wants to get fired

If Manziel plays and looks good then Pettine looks dumb for not playing him, and Farmer looks right for taking him. All along the argument has been they should have taken Bridgewater. And while I like Teddy, his limitations have become pretty obvious. I'm not saying Teddy will have a bad career or Manziel a good one, I just that I don't think they passed on a great talent in going with Manziel.

Carr is obviously the guy they should have taken, but that was never something they were doing. Their QB study thing that Banner commissioned said take Teddy, and Haslam and or Farmer wanted JFF. So BG and kave can hate Farmer and I'll hate Pettine

Good morning everyone

RBH wins with a top rope burnapeepeerama.

Grova should have tried to land the Dab Drop to put RBH away . The arrogance of Grova.

Well, I have to be up in a hour for a lab so I think I'll just jerk off and then drink coffee instead of sleeping.

Sounds like a perfect plan. Lol

I've made this point, and one of the guys on NFLN made it recently. Mike Pettine has every reason in the world to want Manziel to bust. He and Farmer have been at war all year. This week he called out the "rest of the building". He's said it's possible some guys have quit. He basically wants to get fired

If Manziel plays and looks good then Pettine looks dumb for not playing him, and Farmer looks right for taking him. All along the argument has been they should have taken Bridgewater. And while I like Teddy, his limitations have become pretty obvious. I'm not saying Teddy will have a bad career or Manziel a good one, I just that I don't think they passed on a great talent in going with Manziel.

Carr is obviously the guy they should have taken, but that was never something they were doing. Their QB study thing that Banner commissioned said take Teddy, and Haslam and or Farmer wanted JFF. So BG and kave can hate Farmer and I'll hate Pettine

Whynotboth.gif

Farmer fires Pettine and Farmer is still there.

Haslam fires both and Haslam is still the owner.

There's no winning in this situation.

We should have known he was a Trojan Horse sent by Pittsburgh..

All we can do is hope and possibly drink heavily to power through... Kave has the right idea.

The Browns are forced to move?

That's your Jags..

If Mike Brown can learn how to be an owner 70 years in anyone can

That would require us having

A) having a coach/GM capable of locating talent.

B) Haslam actually having family members make him sit down and shut up when he starts getting senile.

minx

I have a 2 day and 14 day xbox live gold code. PM for a code. You must praise the Bears in the message.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
KyleShanahan.txt time:

2010 Washington: Start 4-3, end 2-7
2011: 3-1, 2-10
2013: 3-5, 0-8
2014 Browns: 7-4, 0-5
2015 Falcons: 5-0, 1-6 so far

Offensive ranks in order
26 (Pass: 23, Run: 26)
18 (22, 20)
27 (26, 9)
28 (22, 26)
25 so far (24, 18)

But the powerpoint presentation!

Farmer fires Pettine and Farmer is still there.

Haslam fires both and Haslam is still the owner.

There's no winning in this situation.

bionic77

Guys are the Patriot fans going to be our overlords when Trump becomes emperor?

eznark are you renting space on your compound? I know how to drive a tractor and am pretty good with electronics. I also promise to lose in every game of mariokart. I need to have some contingency plans when Trump appoints Gata in charge of the entire East Coast.

Steeler fans are going to be among the first to go. :(

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

eznark are you renting space on your compound? I know how to drive a tractor and am pretty good with electronics. I also promise to lose in every game of mariokart. I need to have some contingency plans when Trump appoints Gata in charge of the entire East Coast.

pfft Texan fans gonna put up a fight and lead the resistance. You can join us!

I'm pretty sure Gata will send every person in New York into Death Panels who will be headed by three drunk Bostonians.

You should be okay Bionic.. You're one of the good ones.

Much like Anne Frank.. We would hide you in our basement for 8 years till our long and terrible national disgrace passes. You can watch Michael Jordan games on repeat.

You're right. Browns finally relevant in 2035.

That means that I would almost be in my mid 40s

Worth it!!

Unless we lose the War on Football..

Bengals basically had to wait for Mike Brown to become so old he quit trying to intervene and his daughter lets Marvin act as GM except for the contracts. Browns need to get ownership out of the equation before things will ever get better.

bionic77

You should be okay Bionic.. You're one of the good ones.

Much like Anne Frank.. We would hide you in our basement for 8 years till our long and terrible national disgrace passes. You can watch Michael Jordan games on repeat.
No offense bro, but the Browns and their fans are not going to be able to stop Trump and Brady. I am not sure that even the Cleve is safe. Steelers and Giants fans are going to go first. Immediately followed by the Jets. After that your safety will probably depend on the whims and wants of Gata and co.

Thats why I asked for safe passage to Eznark's compound. He has been planning for this for the past 10 years while the rest of us were living fat off of the bosom of freedom. Well now Brady's man is about to become Fuhrer and we are all fucked and eznark was right all along. I am just trying to get a spot on his compound before it fills up.

I can hate everyone.

But I'm not into all these conspiracy stories. Fuck Johnson and fuck pettine. Pettine has had his own set of failures
I get the feeling Pettine has no say in who is going to QB each week and that is pissing him off, so he is making more mistakes to purposely get fired and collect a nice severence before landing in some nicer place.

I get the feeling Pettine has no say in who is going to QB each week and that is pissing him off, so he is making more mistakes to purposely get fired and collect a nice severence before landing in some nicer place.
I don't believe the making mistakes to purposely get fired. He's had had say in who's starting going back to him keep in Hoyer for as long as he could (we say what happened to Johnny, wasn't ready). To this year, I believe he gets pressured to have Johnny in, but it's ultimately his decision. He has final control who starts in his contract. To me making mistakes on purpose concept is stupid as his work is a audition for future jobs. To me he's a guy that's gonna do it his way, in this case being stubborn with the Qb decisions ( I'm ok with this)

Even if the mistakes thing was true, the coaching staff has a good amount of questions.
Underdevelopment of players, not properly utilizing players, being stubborn in the scheme, trying to fit player to the scheme and not fitting your scheme to the players. I could probably go on.....

I'll wait for wandering wind to come in and pretend like he knows a shit ton about what's going on with the Browns and this coaching staff because he had like a good year with pettine as a coordinator. ....but I see this team all year long, watch the pressers, see the staff in action, and hear the going ons behind the scenes, and see the downhill place this team is going. None of it is on pettine though, none.

Shit I was a pettine fan going into the year for the most part

No offense bro, but the Browns and their fans are not going to be able to stop Trump and Brady. I am not sure that even the Cleve is safe. Steelers and Giants fans are going to go first. Immediately followed by the Jets. After that your safety will probably depend on the whims and wants of Gata and co.

Thats why I asked for safe passage to Eznark's compound. He has been planning for this for the past 10 years while the rest of us were living fat off of the bosom of freedom. Well now Brady's man is about to become Fuhrer and we are all fucked and eznark was right all along. I am just trying to get a spot on his compound before it fills up.

You really think those Bostonians are gonna do shit? They aren't shit, their lives haven't been shaped by tragedy much like strong Clevelanders.. 150 seasons without a championship and considering Golden State.. That tally is going to continue to rise.

Bostonians have a parade for one their teams every year. I remember that damn kid who had a parade for a sports team ever since he was born. Little bastard. Bostonians bitch about Curse of Bambino. Well kiss my ass, you people had the Celtics and now the cheating pats.

We can take them Bionic.. BG, Gobias, Kave and the rest of us vs Gata and a few Euros.. We can do it.

I can hate everyone.

But I'm not into all these conspiracy stories. Fuck Johnson and fuck pettine. Pettine has had his own set of failures

Just looking at our cap numbers and our defensive rankings makes me slightly homicidal. We are paying for the most expensive pile of shit in history baby.. :)

Shit I was a pettine fan going into the year for the most part

Me too BG... That's what makes it more depressing.

I have mutiple sources telling me Trump won't be in charge.

MUTIPLE SOURCES!

squicken

The guys on the ATL podcast were saying Alec Scheiner(sp?) is sitting in on position meetings now during film study. They said they have a source on the team who says things are real bad and Pettine has no power

My guess is Pettine is the source since they are sympathetic to him and he was the leak with the Jets during Rex's last years

Dragon

Banned
It's a war on Trump.

CVx3CDJWIAEElns.png

Yup. Be hilarious if he was somehow banned from the UK.

jmdajr

41% approval rating!

I wonder how many of those are even gonna show up to vote.

"He's entertaining but I actually wasn't going to vote for him."

was this Brady's plan all along

be so good at being a cheater and real piece of shit that trump thinks youre a winner and then now you're vice president?

It's not time for disrespect yet but fuck the redskins

BigAT

Am I the only one that doesn't quite understand the degree of the Pettine backlash? Not that he has done an amazing job by any means, but the guy doesn't have a quarterback and is coaching a team that is run by a front office that has completely whiffed on some important first round draft choices (choices which went against what Pettine wanted, if my understanding is correct).

I think the biggest disconnect for me though is seeing him get attacked for attempting to bring discipline and accountability to an organization that has been completely lacking in both at every level for quite a while. It's not like he took over some storied franchise and ran it into the ground. He was brought into an amateur hour, carny-run sideshow that only hired him after more qualified candidates weren't desperate enough to shame themselves into accepting the title "Head Coach of the Cleveland Browns".

Spinluck

So in my time in NY I did not realize how much people were dicks there. They made Florida hospitality seem like a thing. Also one of the friends I went with was getting hit on by like 70% of random dudes on the street. She handled it well but that must be creepy as hell. I was like what the fuck? I also barely bumped into a guy and he was all like, "WATCH WHERE THE FUCK YOU"RE GOING." He's lucky I didn't call my boy Gutor to kill him. You have to wonder why Spider-Man and the rest of the superheroes bother saving these people.

I want to go back next year, but wtf is up people's asses up there?

Sanjuro

Am I the only one that doesn't quite understand the degree of the Pettine backlash? Not that he has done an amazing job by any means, but the guy doesn't have a quarterback and is coaching a team that is run by a front office that has completely whiffed on some important first round draft choices (choices which went against what Pettine wanted, if my understanding is correct).

I think the biggest disconnect for me though is seeing him get attacked for attempting to bring discipline and accountability to an organization that has been completely lacking in both at every level for quite a while. It's not like he took over some storied franchise and ran it into the ground. He was brought into an amateur hour, carny-run sideshow that only hired him after more qualified candidates weren't desperate enough to shame themselves into accepting the title "Head Coach of the Cleveland Browns".

I see it as a non issue really. I don't think he did anything detrimental to the franchise who enjoys living in the mud.

Like I said in my post before I didn't mind the handling of the quarterbacks, like you said he's trying to bring a sense of discipline to this team. I like the discipline and accountability factor of pettine. If we're to assume picks were made he didn't want it would be one player in Manziel. Yes the drafting has sucked but he's failed in some basic duties. I'm not saying he's the worst coach in the world I'm just saying he's not blameless in all of this.

Really my point was please don't tell me pettine shares no blame as I watch this team develop every week, and I follow them everyday. I don't think outsiders looking in can say the same

The team is a all around shit show though, and everyone is part of it

eznark

Banned

I think he has completely botched the Manziel situation but that's understandable, guy is a football coach not a babysitter.

But his defense sucks. And the only thing he knows is defense. So...what exactly is he bringing to the table?

McCown played well enough to win in week 3, 4, 7, and 12. All were losses. All were games in which the defense gave up more than 25 points. You really can't put the state on the 2015 Browns on the QB position. Like, at all. The Browns offense has played well enough when McCown is in to have a winning record.

I think he has completely botched the Manziel situation but that's understandable, guy is a football coach not a babysitter.

But his defense sucks. And the only thing he knows is defense. So...what exactly is he bringing to the table?
Yes, I've seen many ppl say fire our D coordinator. It's still pettines Defense however, and we havent made the right corrections to put the players in good positions. We're trying to fit the players to the scheme, he's stubborn in the D that Isnt working. My favorite quote from Monday night football " What kind of Coverage are they running!"

eznark

Banned
Yes, I've seen many ppl say fire our D coordinator. It's still pettines Defense however, and we havent made the right corrections to put the players in good positions. We're trying to fit the players to the scheme, he's stubborn in the D that Isnt working. My favorite quote from Monday night football " What kind of Coverage are they running!"

I think everyone who hasn't blocked me knows by now my thoughts on head coaches. I almost always would prefer to keep them a year too long than disrupt the development of young players. But...what does Pettine give you? Like, seriously.

The only reason I wouldn't fire him is because it looks like there will be a ton of college and pro jobs open so the people willing to take the job in Cleveland is smaller than normal.

That said, they are looking at another top 3 pick. You really want to waste a year of development on some potential stud with a head coach who clearly gives the team nothing? Or do you want to attempt to start some excitement, bring in the #1 pick and a Hot Young Coach (Lane Kiffin would do it, he knows his rep is teflon) and start over.

This Time We Got it Right #BelieveInCleve

Hindl

So in my time in NY I did not realize how much people were dicks there. They made Florida hospitality seem like a thing. Also one of the friends I went with was getting hit on by like 70% of random dudes on the street. She handled it well but that must be creepy as hell. I was like what the fuck? I also barely bumped into a guy and he was all like, "WATCH WHERE THE FUCK YOU"RE GOING." He's lucky I didn't call my boy Gutor to kill him. You have to wonder why Spider-Man and the rest of the superheroes bother saving these people.

I want to go back next year, but wtf is up people's asses up there?

That's just Northeast culture. Everyone is assholes to each other. There was actually a Bill Burr quote on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee (Jerry Seinfeld's web series), where he says so many comedians come from the Northeast because everyone's so brutal that you have to be able to laugh it off and roll with the punches.

I think everyone who hasn't blocked me knows by now my thoughts on head coaches. I almost always would prefer to keep them a year too long than disrupt the development of young players. But...what does Pettine give you? Like, seriously.

The only reason I wouldn't fire him is because it looks like there will be a ton of college and pro jobs open so the people willing to take the job in Cleveland is smaller than normal.

That said, they are looking at another top 3 pick. You really want to waste a year of development on some potential stud with a head coach who clearly gives the team nothing? Or do you want to attempt to start some excitement, bring in the #1 pick and a Hot Young Coach (Lane Kiffin would do it, he knows his rep is teflon) and start over.

This Time We Got it Right #BelieveInCleve
Lol, but really one of the only ways I see this job being somewhat attractive is by getting the number 1 pick. The option to start with whatever player you want #believeInCleve

On a side note are 31 picks only going to made on the first day? Or will we have 32 and have the number 1 team pick again in the first.... Jw

eznark

Banned
That's just Northeast culture. Everyone is assholes to each other. There was actually a Bill Burr quote on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee (Jerry Seinfeld's web series), where he says so many comedians come from the Northeast because everyone's so brutal that you have to be able to laugh it off and roll with the punches.

When I had my entrance interview for BU grad school the interviewee was like "so, what's the biggest difference between Boston and Milwaukee, is it the running water?"

I laughed and said "no, the biggest difference is that I have never once seen a person on the green line stand up so a pregnant woman or elderly person can have their seat. Fan-cee Flushing terlets sure howdy makes people right ass holes"

I got in.

BigAT

Like I said in my post before I didn't mind the handling of the quarterbacks, like you said he's trying to bring a sense of discipline to this team. I like the discipline and accountability factor of pettine. If we're to assume picks were made he didn't want it would be one player in Manziel. Yes the drafting has sucked but he's failed in some basic duties. I'm not saying he's the worst coach in the world I'm just saying he's not blameless in all of this.

Really my point was please don't tell me pettine shares no blame as I watch this team develop every week, and I follow them everyday. I don't think outsiders looking in can say the same

The team is a all around shit show though, and everyone is part of it

I've read that he didn't want anything to do with Gilbert either, but who knows, that could be covering his ass after the fact.

I don't disagree that he hasn't been great, but at some point I kind of wonder what's expected in year 2 of taking over an awful franchise. If the Browns move on from Pettine after this season, their last four coaches will have been fired after:

2 years
2 years
1 year
2 years

If you're interviewing coaching candidates to replace Pettine, who the hell would want to sign up for that?

McCown played well enough to win in week 3, 4, 7, and 12. All were losses. All were games in which the defense gave up more than 25 points. You really can't put the state on the 2015 Browns on the QB position. Like, at all. The Browns offense has played well enough when McCown is in to have a winning record.

The ineptitude of the defense has certainly been confusing, especially since it seemed to be the one spot (along with offensive line) where Cleveland actually had some talent. Haven't watched nearly enough of the Browns to being to have an explanation for that.

eznark

Banned
If you're interviewing coaching candidates to replace Pettine, who the hell would want to sign up for that?

The ineptitude of the defense has certainly been confusing, especially since it seemed to be the one spot (along with offensive line) where Cleveland actually had some talent. Haven't watched nearly enough of the Browns to being to have an explanation for that.

On your first point, I mean let's be real. Anyone. There are 32 jobs sought by thousands of coaches. They won't struggle to find people they like, they just won't be rising stars.

On the second point, there was a report out months ago that Browns defensive players were whining that the defense was too complicated and that Pettine expects far too much (both mentally and physically) from the defensive line.

Rather than being assigned specific gaps, Cleveland's defensive linemen play different techniques based on how their offensive counterparts are blocking them. The linebackers, then, are expected to guess what technique their teammates are using, scrape through the resulting mess and make the play. Opposing offenses have identified this flaw on film and are repeatedly, week-after-week, gashing the edge of Cleveland’s defense. It’s a completely chaotic approach to stopping the run, and players have said—off the record—they're spending way too much time thinking, and not nearly enough time reacting.

“It’s an entire guessing game,” said one source. “Imagine trying to define mud.”
http://www.si.com/thecauldron/2015/10/21/mike-pettine-cleveland-browns-defense-problems-afc-north

I don't really know how true that is, I don't feel like I have a great grasp of defensive front 4 technique/responsibilities to really comment intelligently on it, but when you watch the Browns it certainly looks like their front seven is always reacting, instead of instigating. This is one of those cases where I feel LJ probably would have a lot to say if he ever watched Cleveland.

Top Bottom