• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 15 |OT| - A Fraud’s Misses

eznark

Banned
Intuitively that doesn't make sense. I've seen plenty of sacks come from tackles slow off the ball b/c of crowd noise adjustments. Officials are also prone to siding to loud home crowds. But if you know of research on that I'd be interested to read it

I think it was the Freakonomics guys did a study looking at individual player performances as well as teams throughout the big four sports and really it's almost irrelevant. I think baseball had the largest HFA of the big four, but that didn't hold for playoffs. That, plus some other stuff like neutral zone games, etc. led them to conclude that travel was a huge issue as your chances of winning the longer you are home increased.

Really though it was very marginal when spread over all the sports. I think baseball was the biggest and they concluded there was like a 1-3% improved chance of winning.

They didn't see anything that led to the idea that crowd noise impacted anything (including officiating).

It's like "clutch." You see the times guys are affected by the crowd but think about it. Those stand out BECAUSE they are rare. On every other play the crowd is irrelevant.

Beach

If the Bengals beat the Broncos and the Jets beat the Pats at home then there is a good chance the Broncos do not make the playoffs. Crazy to believe.

MechDX

Brandon Weeden has a 95% chance of winning his teams division and making the playoffs.

Brandon Weeden. I keep saying it to myself and it just sounds wrong

Hindl

EAGLESGAF, chances of going to the playoffs is a long shot is it?

If they don't, Chip's gone right?

No to both. If they win out they still go, and we play WAS at home and chip generally does well against the giants. We'll get slaughtered in the divisional tho.

And no chip has two winning seasons. Lurie isn't going to abandon him after one shit season. Chip will most likely finish his 5 year contract at least

RELAYER

Banned
With the Eagles loss, the Vikings clinched a playoff berth? They have the head to head against the Falcons or am I missing something?

Nop.
If Falcons win last 2, Seahawks lose last 2, and Vikings lose last 2, then they will all be 9-7, and the wildcards would be Falcons and Seahawks on a 3-way tie-breaker, in which head-to-head doesn't apply.

playoffm9zzr.png

Falcons going to the Super Bowl baby

Hmmm they changed the title of the article from "Anger could alter trajectory of Odell Beckham Jr.'s career" to "Norman brings out worst in Beckham" on their front page.

ESPN going in on OBJ. Saying the game could "alter the trajectory of his career".

I would have thought so because he should have been tossed from the game and it would have provided a blueprint on how to beat him.. But the refs didn't toss him when they should have and he ended up blowing up in the 4th.

It's proving that he has very little mental toughness though

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Thinking about that game today, Wade Phillips really fucked up by not having a back up plan for Brown toasting Chris Harris Jr.

Kiryu

I think Seahawks should have at least one guaranteed win in last two week.

Rams give good game but Seahawks gotta take W at last home of game. (Possibly last home game of the season :( )

Cardinals rest their starters in last week so if they have nothing to play for beside 2# seed so Seahawks have to win one of either game.

Godslay

Banned
If the Bengals beat the Broncos and the Jets beat the Pats at home then there is a good chance the Broncos do not make the playoffs. Crazy to believe.

Broncos in a weird scenario.

1 win + KC or Pitt or NYJ loss gets them a playoff berth.

2 wins nets them a 1st round bye.

Lose out and it gets hairy depending on what other teams do.

Other teams win out and Den splits, I don't know what the tiebreaker would be off the top of my head.

Would like to make the playoffs or even win division, but no telling at this point and zero expectations after tonight.

mreddie

No to both. If they win out they still go, and we play WAS at home and chip generally does well against the giants. We'll get slaughtered in the divisional tho.

And no chip has two winning seasons. Lurie isn't going to abandon him after one shit season. Chip will most likely finish his 5 year contract at least

But his power is stripped away right?

Kiryu

Had to respect Bryant deep. Steelers are so dangerous because you have to respect all 3 receivers. Seahawks didn't and Wheaton rang them up.
At least Antonio Brown was shut down because who knows when he get ball against Seahawks Secondary. It was important to stop him over Wheaton or Bryant. Close game tho.

OuterLimits

I think Seahawks should have at least one guaranteed win in last two week.

Rams give good game but Seahawks gotta take W at last home of game. (Possibly last home game of the season :( )

Cardinals rest their starters in last week so if they have nothing to play for beside 2# seed so Seahawks have to win one of either game.

#2 seed gets a bye though. If Cards lose to Packers, they will play all their starters against Seattle. If they beat the Packers, yeah they prob rest some players. Cards lock up bye with one more win or GB losing to Vikings. Had stupid Detroit stopped a Damn Hail Mary, the Cards would already have the bye.

The only thing Seattle has left to play for is the #5 seed instead of #6

As a Cardinals fan it's a weird feeling to know that with 2 games left we have a guaranteed play off, we won the division and almost locked 2nd seed. Just thinking about playoffs now and actually putting more thought on other teams like Seahawks and Vikings wondering where they end up.

Just got back from San Diego, even though we lost I had a great time. I'm off tomorrow so I'll post pics from the game; as far as the Dolphins same old story. Terrible defense, horrible oline, especially after Albert came out and of course no run game.

Hindl

But his power is stripped away right?

I dunno that's a different question. Chip the GM may be done even if chip the coach is staying. The only thing is they can't go back to roseman after taking his power away. I can see a path where chip keeps control tho. Depends on how much faith Lurie has in him. These last two games will probably decide a lot. Gonna be another interesting off-season in Philly

Kiryu

As a Cardinals fan it's a weird feeling to know that with 2 games left we have a guaranteed play off, we won the division and almost locked 2nd seed. Just thinking about playoffs now and actually putting more thought on other teams like Seahawks and Vikings wondering where they end up.
and keep Carson Palmer healthy please!

congrats to cards-age and my boy squall! even though i have constantly trolled, it is nice to see bum franchises (in the grand scheme of their existences!) taste some success. that is why even though i hate the seachickens (and indeed all of our division rivals) i was happy to see the seahawks fanbase experience a championship.

as for the niners, like superman said it's always darkest before the dawn. but the thing is it's going to be night for us for a long time. this season is like our 2004 season. next year will be like 2005 (new drafted QB who is garbage at first, we go 1-15). then in 2 years we'll go like... 7-9 or something, still mediocre. then we'll have a few seasons ranging from 5-11 to 8-8 (maybe 9-7 but no playoffs) until finally our new harbs arrives (jim harbaugh returns after the niners are sold to the investment group headed by steve young and brent jones). i eagerly await this day!

congrats to cards-age and my boy squall! even though i have constantly trolled, it is nice to see bum franchises (in the grand scheme of their existences!) taste some success. that is why even though i hate the seachickens (and indeed all of our division rivals) i was happy to see the seahawks fanbase experience a championship.

as for the niners, like superman said it's always darkest before the dawn. but the thing is it's going to be night for us for a long time. this season is like our 2004 season. next year will be like 2005 (new drafted QB who is garbage at first, we go 1-15). then in 2 years we'll go like... 7-9 or something, still mediocre. then we'll have a few seasons ranging from 5-11 to 8-8 (maybe 9-7 but no playoffs) until finally our new harbs arrives (jim harbaugh returns after the niners are sold to the investment group headed by steve young and brent jones). i eagerly await this day!
Fuck you.

At least Antonio Brown was shut down because who knows when he get ball against Seahawks Secondary. It was important to stop him over Wheaton or Bryant. Close game tho.

Refs let them be VERY physical with the Steelers receivers. Sherman got away with a lot of grabbing and clutching, Broncos didn't get the same treatment. I was so shocked they called the PI on Harris - Never happened with Seattle.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is there news about Mathieu though? Honestly will have flashbacks to last season if he's out. Their entire defense is pretty much predicated on him being able to do everything back there, and without him they're a decent but not great team. Hope it's just a sprain.

cdyhybrid

Refs let them be VERY physical with the Steelers receivers. Sherman got away with a lot of grabbing and clutching, Broncos didn't get the same treatment. I was so shocked they called the PI on Harris - Never happened with Seattle.
Feels good getting to play with different rules from the rest of the league. The 31 other peasant franchises will never understand.

Feels good getting to play with different rules from the rest of the league. The 31 other peasant franchises will never understand.

It's the same rules - Superstar treatment.

Chris Harris isn't Richard Sherman. TJ Ward (though he didn't play today) isn't Kam Chancellor.

Brown has mugged quite a few DBs with no OPI calls. Look at what happened with Beckham today. It happens.

Is there news about Mathieu though? Honestly will have flashbacks to last season if he's out. Their entire defense is pretty much predicated on him being able to do everything back there, and without him they're a decent but not great team. Hope it's just a sprain.

He's a play maker for sure, but the defense still did great without him when he was hurt.

eznark

Banned

wtf

Top Bottom