• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 15 |OT| - A Fraud’s Misses

The ball was still in play. Jogging several yards doesn't really come into it. It's a disgracefully cowardly cheap hit, but if it was just isolation it's not something which normally draws a suspension. As one part of Beckham's meltdown yesterday then sure I don't have an issue but then I'd suspend everyone who throws a punch after the fact if they're not ejected during the game.

A suspension would probably be the best thing for him and the Giants in the long run.

There's a big difference between throwing a punch and spearing someone helmet to helmet. Norman could have easily gotten a concussion on that or worse and if that happened I don't think we'd see OBJ back until a few games into next season. He got lucky.

OBJ was in a position where he could decide if the entire world (minus some jealous fans) would love him or hate him. He chose the latter and no one will forget it.

squicken

If ODB had been tossed he wouldn't get suspended. Dre got tossed for beating up Cort

Weird that making guys play for 75% of every game will start to hurt them down the stretch.

I agree with you mostly about the tempo thing. I think it should be used occasionally, not always. But it is letting the defense off the hook to put their struggles on the offense.

Just go back to Week 1 where Maxwell kept getting torched by Julio Jones and Davis wouldn't adjust.

Against DAL, Philly doubled Dez. So Beasley went for 112 yards. His career best previously is a bunch of 65 yard games. I doubt this was the first time someone doubled Dez

Billy Davis loses to opposing coaches. That's just the way it is

prag16

Banned
wGDKddq.gif
That look at it loses some of the context, and is framed solely to make it look as egregious as possible. Here's another look at the same hit:

fightobj.0.0.gif

More evident here that it was not late or away from the play, plus we see the deliberate knee to the head from Norman immediately after. And doesn't even shoe the smack to the side of the head from Norman at the start of the play. But none of that fits the narrative.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
If ODB had been tossed he wouldn't get suspended. Dre got tossed for beating up Cort

I agree with you mostly about the tempo thing. I think it should be used occasionally, not always. But it is letting the defense off the hook to put their struggles on the offense.

Just go back to Week 1 where Maxwell kept getting torched by Julio Jones and Davis wouldn't adjust.

Against DAL, Philly doubled Dez. So Beasley went for 112 yards. His career best previously is a bunch of 65 yard games. I doubt this was the first time someone doubled Dez

yea, but an offense staying on the field longer can help a bad or struggling defense.

also fuck the colts. so tired of that they've never won there before bullshit.

WedgeX

Banned
That look at it loses some of the context, and is framed solely to make it look as egregious as possible. Here's another look at the same hit:

fightobj.0.0.gif

More evident here that it was not late or away from the play, plus we see the deliberate knee to the head from Norman immediately after.

Uhhhhh that second gif makes it look even more explicit that OBJ went out of his way to change direction to hit Norman in the head.

squicken

also fuck the colts. so tired of that they've never won there before bullshit.

It's kind of funny that it was Weeden to do the deed. And in relief of Yates, who got them over the playoff hump. 13 years and still no QB. BoB is the best coach in the division, at least. But it's going to take some really good fortune to get the guy

Bengals got to do better running the ball to have a chance at Denver (36 carries 56 yards at niners). McCarron can throw some "beauts" over the top to Green and Jones. Basically same game plan as 49ers game, play mistake free, let the other offense become our offense.

fightobj.0.0.gif

More evident here that it was not late or away from the play, plus we see the deliberate knee to the head from Norman immediately after. And doesn't even shoe the smack to the side of the head from Norman at the start of the play. But none of that fits the narrative.

Sure, if you're coming into it riddled with confirmation bias.
Smh.

Crisco

Banned
I don't see how you can look at that and see anything other than an egregious cheapshot. Norman's lucky Odell's not a big guy or it coulda been lights out.

captive

lmao the texans radio voice just said they were talking to some of the colts people who were whining about their QB situation, the organization that hadn't had a their starting QB miss a start since like 1998 till this year.

So much gif potential from the Panthers/Giants game. I really want one of Cam shaking his head after the last OBJ TD like, "okay fuckers, I see you. Game on."

captive

I don't see how you can look at that and see anything other than an egregious cheapshot. Norman's lucky Odell's not a big guy or it coulda been lights out.

from the highlights i've seen, both of them should have been ejected at least once. Doesnt matter who started what.

eznark

Banned

I'm not letting them off the hook, I'm saying that it's almost impossible to evaluate that defense given the circumstances under which they are expected to perform.

xnipx

Norman still needs to get checked for a concussion. He literally could have broken his jaw on that play. The worst case scenario shouldn't need to happen to determine the punishment. Should be 4 games minimum.

MechDX

I'd actually like to see the Giants sit him voluntarily, but when this

Andre%20Johnson%20fight.gif

doesn't result in a suspension, then I'm not sure Beckham should be getting one.

That fight was coming for years before it actually happened. Watch the game and Innegan was throat punching Johnson the entire game Andre finally had enough after telling the refs repeatedly

Andre was ejected and fined

prag16

Banned

I just. I can't even.

:jnc

Headshot defense force. gaf is a wonderful place.

Are you for real?
Did he target him? Yes. Was the hit late? No. Was there intent to actually go helmet to helmet? Maybe, but we don't know. Was the hit deserving of a flag? Yes. A fine? Probably.

The officials set the tone early when they didn't flag Norman for throwing Beckham to the ground right in front of an official. Beckham lost his cool and it took him way to long to get it back. But this narrative is so full of hyperbole it's crazy. He has no history as a cheap shot artist.

To the guy who asked if I'm his mother, I am not, and I'd hope his mother gave him an earful about conducting himself like a mature professional.

OBJ definitely deserves some sort of punishment (fine/suspension) for the meltdown yesterday.

But let's not pretend Norman was innocent in all this either. He threw a punch early. And clearly decks OBJ in the head with his knee after the helmet-to-helmet cheap shot. He should be getting a call from the Commish as well.

eznark

Banned
Jesus Christ this OBJ shit is a microcosm of OUR FAILING SOCIETY.

It's everyone else's fault. Norman started it. There is too much media pressure. The officials didn't do enough to stop it.

Fine. Let's all stop pretending to care about protecting the players then if we're going to grasp at the thinnest possible straw to defend a guy for going out of his way to use his helmet as a weapon to attempt to knock another guy out.

Pathetic. Here is your participation medal. Grab a cruelty free farm to table no gluten vegan orange on your way out.

ampere

Brown caught 16/18 for 2 TDs and 189 yards against Denver

Guy is literally a monster. Pittsburgh actually looks really scary going into the playoffs

Milchjon

It's everyone else's fault. Norman started it. There is too much media pressure. The officials didn't do enough to stop it.

Fine. Let's all stop pretending to care about protecting the players then if we're going to grasp at the thinnest possible straw to defend a guy for going out of his way to use his helmet as a weapon to attempt to knock another guy out.

Pathetic. Here is your participation medal. Grab a cruelty free farm to table no gluten vegan orange on your way out.

Why do your posts always sound like you're at least twice as old as you (presumably) are

(setting myself up for a vicious comeback)

prag16

Banned

Great straw man. Nobody is justifying Beckham's actions. If we're divvying up blame, he deserves the largest piece of that pie. But this isn't a 90/10 situation, not even close, and people are losing their minds with the hyperbole.

OBJ definitely deserves some sort of punishment (fine/suspension) for the meltdown yesterday.

But let's not pretend Norman was innocent in all this either. He threw a punch early. And clearly decks OBJ in the head with his knee after the helmet-to-helmet cheap shot. He should be getting a call from the Commish as well.
Nope! You are now a head shot apologist apparently!

eznark

Banned
You should hear him talk about Lita Ford.

I don't care how old you are, Kiss Me Deadly is great.

Great straw man. Nobody is justifying Beckham's actions. If we're divvying up blame, he deserves the largest piece of that pie. But this isn't a 90/10 situation, not even close, and people are losing their minds with the hyperbole.
Horse shit. NFLN, Around the NFL, Kevin Seifert, Peter King...every one of them has blamed the officials since the game ended.

Guy clearly should have been ejected twice in that game. He should be suspended for a game. That's not hyperbole.

prag16

Banned
Horse shit. NFLN, Around the NFL, Kevin Seifert, Peter King...every one of them has blamed the officials since the game ended.

Guy clearly should have been ejected twice in that game. He should be suspended for a game. That's not hyperbole.
They offered more balanced looks that divvied up blame while not excusing what Beckham did. If somebody actually excused/condoned his actions, I missed that one.

squicken

Watched Browns-Seahawks and it is like a college vs pro team.

-I am always stunned how tiny the Browns WRs are.
-Except Pryor and Bowe, who are big and slow
-Barnidge and Benjamin are keepers. Toss the rest.
-The defense is so bad I can't even put in-
-OL is good but they will lose Mack and his presumptive heir...
-Cam Erving might not be an NFL player. Joe Thomas replaced him on FGs and XPs. If he can't even block for the kicking game then why is he on a roster?

I watched the game last night after I got home. Odell lost his damned mind.

Norman is no saint in the affair but good lord how did Coughlin not sit his ass with some of the antics he pulled on the field? Three personal foul penalties and he's still playing? Coughlin has sat players down for less. Though his job wasn't in as precarious a position as it is this season so I suppose that's the excuse?

The launch into Norman's head is uncalled for and there is very little defending it, IMO. If he gets suspended, its deserved. Whatever the league does or doesn't do - I'm disappointed more wasn't done during the game to bring Odell under control on the Giants sideline. I love him as a football player but he needs to grow the fuck up.

Top Bottom