• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 15 |OT| - A Fraud’s Misses

I know the NFC, and AFC for that matter, East is dog shit, but Gruden's done a good job. I've had the Skins game on pretty regularly for the last month plus and they get a lot out of that roster. Tough situation, managed to get around the RG3 fiasco, and did about as good a job as one can expect when you look at that roster.

Frankly I think the same can be said for Coughlin in many ways considering the complete dearth of talent on the Giants roster. They can't finish games but frankly they've been in every single damn one outside of that Eagles game.

squicken

It's a divisional game at home. Don't assume it'll be a cakewalk. Although if Maxwell and Rowe are still out that could decide it. Biggers and Watkins are fine depth but they aren't starters at all

Garcon ate them alive last time and now DJax will be playing his best bud Chipper too. They just suck at covering WRs. The games they have done well have been games where they got pressure. WAS has a decent OL and Cousin gets it out quick. Now that he isn't throwing INTs he's a really solid QB

Eagles offense is bad. They can't sustain drives. Huff is a good a KO returner playing WR and Cooper is a bad FB playing WR. But what is Algholor? Is Bradford holding him back? Rookie learning curve? He never looks open on the coaches tape but maybe take more shots?

Gigglepoo

"CHIP KELLY: Does anyone want this last piece of ice cream cake?
DEMARCO MURRAY: (raises hand)
CHIP KELLY: Nobody? Guess I’ll throw it away."

-- @celebrityhottub

Line_HTX

Qualcomm

CWwpgIPVAAARxMS.jpg

https://twitter.com/UTgehlken/status/678963280317038593

The End has come.

eznark

Banned
I know the NFC, and AFC for that matter, East is dog shit, but Gruden's done a good job. I've had the Skins game on pretty regularly for the last month plus and they get a lot out of that roster. Tough situation, managed to get around the RG3 fiasco, and did about as good a job as one can expect when you look at that roster.

I've always been a big Jay Gruden guy since he did a lot with a Bengals team that didn't have nearly the pieces they have now and I do like Cousins in today's NFL (low QB bar) and yeah, outside of that Dallas stinker they've looked every bit as good as Green Bay, firmly in that second tier of NFL teams.

Yeah the plays he made with his arms and legs on that drive were killer, but he's been consistently deadly in those situations. Even going back to his first two years where the overall team record was poor, he's always been at his best when trying to get a late score. He still makes some throws that will kill us against a better defense, including one in this game that should have been intercepted and returned for a td. That's where the defense just has to play better, even with those mistakes, we shouldn't come close to losing a game where the offense scores 35 points.

He didn't use his legs at all, that's what impressed me. He methodically passed them down the field, and not with his usual busted zone coverages and seams. He hit a couple outs to Funchess, had a few really nice mid depth balls and scored purely with his arm. It was fun to see. Now, against that Giants defense (and up by two scores in the first half) which is bad at every position it's easy to see why you'd be relaxed but still, that was an impressive drive.

Frankly I think the same can be said for Coughlin in many ways considering the complete dearth of talent on the Giants roster. They can't finish games but frankly they've been in every single damn one outside of that Eagles game.
Definitely.

On the flip side, I think this might be McCarty's worst year.

rando14

Garcon ate them alive last time and now DJax will be playing his best bud Chipper too. They just suck at covering WRs. The games they have done well have been games where they got pressure. WAS has a decent OL and Cousin gets it out quick. Now that he isn't throwing INTs he's a really solid QB

Eagles offense is bad. They can't sustain drives. Huff is a good a KO returner playing WR and Cooper is a bad FB playing WR. But what is Algholor? Is Bradford holding him back? Rookie learning curve? He never looks open on the coaches tape but maybe take more shots?

Agholor is looking like a bust, but to be fair, outside of Amari, Lockett, and Crowder (who I think is really underrated), last year's WR class has done a whole lot of nothing.

Manziel looked okay, nothing spectacular but definitely not the problem in the game.

About 4 or 5 drops by our WRs in crucial moments as well.

Commentators at one point were actually chastising him for staying in the pocket too long and not running. I think he only had 2 times where he actually took off and ran.

His one touchdown he probably could have ran it in but he decided on a strong throw across his body to Barnidge in the end zone. From what I remember I think he could have ran in but looked like he would have probably been hit hard right at the end zone as I remember 2 or 3 guys floating around the area.
I cuncur. The TD I believe he definitely could have run it in, I remember thinking the throw was kinda dangerous at the time.....but I have to see it again.

Optimism around him is certainly higher then it's been for a long time. The offseason will be interesting with probable new hires and a top draft pick. The decision on ManBae will be more then just about play on the field though, and he has no one to blame but himself.

Crisco

Banned
He didn't use his legs at all, that's what impressed me. He methodically passed them down the field, and not with his usual busted zone coverages and seams. He hit a couple outs to Funchess, had a few really nice mid depth balls and scored purely with his arm. It was fun to see. Now, against that Giants defense (and up by two scores in the first half) which is bad at every position it's easy to see why you'd be relaxed but still, that was an impressive drive.

Ah, you mean the end of the first half drive with the TD to Funchess.

eznark

Banned
Derp yeah, Meant to write end of second quarter or end of first half I guess. It was way more impressive than driving against a prevent defense.

I cuncur. The TD I believe he definitely could have run it in, I remember thinking the throw was kinda dangerous at the time.....but I have to see it again.

Optimism around him is certainly higher then it's been for a long time. The offseason will be interesting with probable new hires and a top draft pick. The decision on ManBae will be more then just about play on the field though, and he has no one to blame but himself.

With a talent like Manziel they should bring in a creative offensive guy who can get the most out of him like Chud or maybe even Shurmur. Oh, shoot.

Ok, well then you know, the offense actually looks fine so maybe they should focus on defense and bring in a guy like Mangini or even Romeo Crennell. They are respected and could bring some legitimacy to Clevela.... shit.

Hm, maybe we should start with a list of talented coaches the Browns haven't run out of town?

LJ11

Giants are probably better than their record, just choke it away more often than not. Ignored too many positions for far too long, or just plain missed.

SonnyBoy

I don't think I agree. Jackson, Garcon and Reed are damn fine receiving options. 4th round receiver Jamison Crowder has been great, especially considering his draft position. Morris and the rookie Jones are at worst decent. Granted they've sustained massive casualties at the interior offensive line position and TE (3 TE's went to IR).

Gruden's biggest hurdle was that the owner wanted one last hurrah for RGIII. The entire off-season was devoted to him. Cousins was handed an offense that wasn't tailored to him, nor had he received work with the #1 unit during the off-season. Jordan Reed and DeSean missed 1/4 and 1/2 of the season respectively. I think what we've seen is Kirk finally establish some trust and chemistry with this receivers. He's #1 in the league in accuracy and top 5 in the amount of yards his passes travel through the air, and it all coincided with Djax and Reed being healthy. The rest of the complimentary players fill their roles. I just can't see this offense being described as devoid of talent when they have one of the best deep threats in Djax and a top 3 receiving TE.

Agholor is looking like a bust, but to be fair, outside of Amari, Lockett, and Crowder (who I think is really underrated), last year's WR class has done a whole lot of nothing.

Hey hey JJ Nelson has done some thaangs too. For some reason we used Peterson to shut down Agholor last night instead of Jordan Mathews. I'm still scratching my head on that decision.

LJ11

I don't think I agree. Jackson, Garcon and Reed are damn fine receiving options. 4th round receiver Jamison Crowder has been great, especially considering his draft position. Morris and the rookie Jones are at worst decent. Granted they've sustained massive casualties at the interior offensive line position and TE (3 TE's went to IR).

Gruden's biggest hurdle was that the owner wanted one last hurrah for RGIII. The entire off-season was devoted to him. Cousins was handed an offense that wasn't tailored to him, nor had he received work with the #1 unit during the off-season. Jordan Reed and DeSean missed 1/4 and 1/2 of the season respectively. I think what we've seen is Kirk finally establish some trust and chemistry with this receivers. He's #1 in the league in accuracy and top 5 in the amount of yards his passes travel through the air, and it all coincided with Djax and Reed being healthy. The rest of the complimentary players fill their roles. I just can't see this offense being described as devoid of talent when they have one of the best deep threats in Djax and a top 3 receiving TE.

So a roster only consists of offensive players?

Edit: Fine I retract I may statement, Gruden hasn't done enough, talented roster in a shit division and that's all he can manage. He'll be fired next year.

kmag

eh Skins will clinch next week. I kind of wonder how the Maras will take all of this and how that relates to Coughlin and Reese

Given the state of the Giants roster this is going to sound strange, but I think Reese is a good evaluator of talent but is hamstrung himself by a couple of poor moves in the back office. Mainly the hiring of Marc Ross and promoting him from Director of College Scouting to Vice President of Player Evaluation over Dave Gettleman (who was demoted in 2011 from Director of Pro Football Personnel to Senior Analyst) while Ross moved from

Past the 2nd round, the Giants draft is essentially ran by Ross and Chris Mara (Senior Vice President of Player Personnel). Obviously Reese (or John Mara) has final say but the table is led by the scouting department while Reese only personally evaluates the top tier candidates.

The book on Marc Ross is that's he's not as focussed on football as some of the other guys in that position in the league are, and frankly he's not well thought off by others around the league.

Reese for better or worse has typically done a good job at the top of drafts, after that it's down to your scouting department which is Ross's responsibility. The quality of free agency signings has been hit and miss (although they were close to the cap for a number of years) but has generally taken a step back since Gettlemen departed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ross is the fall guy in the back office but the timing for that is tricky since typically you don't make changes until after the draft.

Coughlin will only stay if Mara takes the view that a new head coach and new offensive system isn't a good idea given Eli is 35. Arguably despite some late game fuckups Coughlin's done miracles to keep this squad half way competitive.

Despite a number of redzone and running issues, the offense has been good enough to keep them in most games (I think it's about 6th in the league) I can see the argument for keeping Coughlin and MacAdoo, not sure about Spagnolo (there's not much talent on the defense but he's not done anything with it and it looks kind of like his Rams and Saints defenses)

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Derp yeah, Meant to write end of second quarter or end of first half I guess. It was way more impressive than driving against a prevent defense.

With a talent like Manziel they should bring in a creative offensive guy who can get the most out of him like Chud or maybe even Shurmur. Oh, shoot.

Ok, well then you know, the offense actually looks fine so maybe they should focus on defense and bring in a guy like Mangini or even Romeo Crennell. They are respected and could bring some legitimacy to Clevela.... shit.

Hm, maybe we should start with a list of talented coaches the Browns haven't run out of town?

Running game aside I've really liked what John DeFillipo has done with the offense this year. We obviously still need some playmakers and a WR over the height of 5 feet but he's done a lot with the shit sandwich he was handed.

Hindl

I know, on paper the Skins should win this easy. But it's a divisional game in the NFC East. I know everyone hates these games because they are boring, but those games are just weird. I throw out all of my knowledge and predictions about football when it comes to these games because they always play each other tough, even if one team is like 12-2 and the other is 6-10. We'll probably lose but I dunno crazier things have happened in this division.

As for the offense, yeah. There's a lot of problems. One year isn't enough for me to call any player a bust, generally because evaluating a player based on a year, good or bad, is foolish. Imagine if we did that with Foles after 27-2? Agholor has not made the transition to the NFL well, but he's a rookie. I'll give him some slack, although I expect bigger things next year. I'm just worried he's another Huff. Shows some flash his rookie year but ultimately doesn't do anything, and in year 2 offseason we just hear about how he's so hard-working, ready to be a key member of the offense, etc. and then comes out in year 2 and does basically nothing again. We'll see though, but without a star wideout to stretch defenses vertically, we can't get anything going, and CBs are allowed to just bully him. This offseason will be interesting

eznark

Banned
Running game aside I've really liked what John DeFillipo has done with the offense this year. We obviously still need some playmakers and a WR over the height of 5 feet but he's done a lot with the shit sandwich he was handed.

Yeah, I wonder who will snatch him up once the new guy fires him.

Giants are probably better than their record, just choke it away more often than not. Ignored too many positions for far too long, or just plain missed.
Absolutely. Defensive side of the ball especially. The same criticism was deservedly leveled at the front office for ignoring the offensive line until it was too late (the disastrous 2013 season). The line is work in progress now but progressing. This next draft will be all about the defense and it needs to be.

I think Coughlin will be let go but unlike some, I don't think a new voice is needed. These guys are playing their asses off for him. Talent is what is needed.

tumblr_mmihkn3PkE1spiuxqo1_500.gif

I was holding a seat in the Cleve inner circle for you :/

RBH

I expected that team to go south quickly early on, but they've surprised me. Especially Cousins.

Coughlin will only stay if Mara takes the view that a new head coach and new offensive system isn't a good idea given Eli is 35.
This offense suits Eli tremendously to boot. Many said he couldn't operate a west coast style offense. McAdoo is still evolving as a coordinator but:

Eli Manning:
TD: 32
INT: 11
%: 63.7
Yards: 3900
AVG: 7.1
Rating: 96.9

Two games left to go. He'll be 35 as you mention and the last two seasons have been tremendous outside of some boneheaded decision making at the worst times (it IS Eli afterall). The presence of Odell is a big factor there obviously but considering the Giants have had a completely non-existent running game and nearly very few weapons outside of Odell - the job Coughlin/McAdoo have done on the offensive side of the ball is impressive to say the least.

Spags was just given almost nothing to work with on the defensive side.

Yep, something not mentioned enough is how RG3 is basically completely forgotten and not a factor on that team at all. Gruden deserves a lot of credit for somehow convincing RG3 to take the L and become a non-entity for the last 3 or 4 months.

eznark

Banned
tumblr_mmihkn3PkE1spiuxqo1_500.gif

I was holding a seat in the Cleve inner circle for you :/

I want the Browns to be successful. The AFC North is far and away the most interesting division in football year in and year and and it's garbage that the three solid franchises get 2 cake walks every year. It's time to rise up.

If I am Cleveland I think I get bold. I give Ben McAdoo, Darrell Bevell or Hue Jackson (less sold on Hue) a 6 year deal with a huge termination penalty. Bring in a GM candidate who has worked in a respected organization for many years (a Reggie McKenzie clone) and give him a 10 year deal with the same termination penalty. FORCE yourself to develop a plan and stick to it. Use the Raiders as your blueprint.

If it doesn't work you are still Cleveland. If it does work you have built an organization.

It's sort of what they tried to do with Holmgren, but I never got the sense that his heart was in it. Don't go for retreads, don't go for college guys. Hire people at a tipping point in their careers with everything to prove.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Don't the Browns already owe like $50M to ex-coaches? Not sure an early termination penalty is going to do jack squat.

jakncoke

Banned
Just thinking of something crazy even though we're in a era where its easier than ever to pass. Having 3 guys from the same draft class finish with 50k yards or more is pretty wild to me. Eli, Ben and Rivers should all comfortably finish above that mark

also Carson is 258 from being the 18th qb to reach 40k

If I am Cleveland I think I get bold. I give Ben McAdoo, Darrell Bevell or Hue Jackson (less sold on Hue) a 6 year deal with a huge termination penalty. Bring in a GM candidate who has worked in a respected organization for many years (a Reggie McKenzie clone) and give him a 10 year deal with the same termination penalty. FORCE yourself to develop a plan and stick to it. Use the Raiders as your blueprint.
Can't do that. Ben is going to be the new Giants HC.;)

SonnyBoy

So a roster only consists of offensive players?

Edit: Fine I retract I may statement, Gruden hasn't done enough, talented roster in a shit division and that's all he can manage. He'll be fired next year.

Well, you specified Jay. Despite being the HC, i don't see him as being too involved (in the weeds) on the defensive side of the ball.

Defensively, they were ravaged by injury. Despite years past, they have a true GM in Scot McCloughan. And as 49er/SEA fans can attest, he's a great finder of talent. The Redskins have actually improved in the absence of defensive starters. Joe Barry's defensive staff has done a good job of coaching up their players.

Up until this week, I would have agreed that he didn't do enough with the offense. But taking into consideration that it appears Cousins is finally finding his stride. I'll reserve judgement.

Top Bottom