• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 17 |OT| - A Fraud’s Road Ends

Sanjuro

The idea of Bradford was PHI would get a better QB than they had this year, for this man to keep his job.

They got a better QB...

...he just happened to be a bottom of the barrel QB.

LJ11

Billy Davis outlasting chip Kelly is fucking mind numbing. Dude has been avg everywhere where he ran a defense.

Derrick Gunn in Philly can lick my balls that whiney bastard. Lol I hate Philly media but the writing was on the wall when players like Peters who were all in, just grab their helmet and walk off field.

Peters has been a me first guy his entire career. I don't blame him either, but Peters looks out for himself and only himself. Dude has his own back, will be the first one off the boat, pushing old ladies out of the way Costanza style.

MRSA

Banned
Why you do this Iggles? Now you're bringing FMT's hopes up of him coming to the Niners......don't toy with FMT like that, he's suffered enough.

squicken

Hopefully Shurmur slows things down and just tries to get the game over quickly. Play if like the Pro Bowl. Play Thad Lewis
Jeff McLane @Jeff_McLane

Hearing that Jeffrey Lurie had a meeting with Chip Kelly today that didn't go well. A decision was then made to fire him in the afternoon.

effzee

As much as Chip maybe deserved to be fired, and we will probably learn a lot more of the background, rumors, in fighting, FUCK LURIE for doing this.

I am so pissed right now! How why and for what?

So after you pulled the rug from Howie Roseman cause Chip convinced you and then you let Chip tear the team and build in his vision all of a sudden you realize this isn't a good idea? WTF? It was never a good idea to give him full power. I am shocked Lurie let this happen or fired him. Leads me to believe a lot more happened and probably not all football related for this to take place.

Lurie is a patient man. He let Reid coach for 14 years here and 5 seasons past his best years. He wanted to hire Chip to build a whole program and culture for the long run. He give Chip power after 2 seasons assuming its all headed in the right direction and being pleased with his performance the first two seasons. And now 1 bad season and its all over?

I don't know what I hate more now. That Lurie gave in to giving him power or that he fired him after basically his 1 season as GM. This isn't a strong QB class coming out so it can't be fear that Chip would mess up a top 5 pick on a bad or the wrong QB. Might as well have let him finish rebuilding when you were so willing to give him total power.

And I know LOL CHIP REVOLUTION but I liked Chip and think he can coach in the NFL. He already showed it. Won 10 games first 2 seasons after taking over a 4 win team. Should have been in the playoffs last year if not for the stupid NFL rules about division winners. You win 10 games your first 2 seasons and have one bad season and you are fired? IT makes no sense and it shows Lurie being inpatient which I don't like.

Seems like a terrible soap opera. Howie was always Lurie's guy. Howie wanted McNabb, Banner, and Reid gone. Howie wanted Chip. Howie got Chip. Chip wanted power so he convinced Lurie to "promote" Howie but out of the GM role. Howie was still in the building and I bet in Lurie's year the whole season about how he would have done this or that differently.

Firing an underperforming coach is 1 thing but this reeks of backstabbing and a constant power struggle between 2 men Lurie really likes and respects. And because these 2 men couldn't get along he sided with Howie.

Fuck it all. Could have still had DeSean, McCoy, and Maclin but considering the vision was long term and everyone had bought into Chip, I was more than willing to go along with the ride and accept this 1 horrible season. Hell RG3 or Kaep might have been available. A top 10 pick. Yes the moves he made largely didn't work but the division sucks and they could just as easily build back up.

Chip will get another NFL job if he wants. SF, Indy, Tenn, and possibly Miami will be interested. And he sure as hell would want to coach Tenn. He wanted to stay he turned down interviews with top college programs.

Still doesn't make sense to me. Can't believe Lurie was this rash to make a decision. There has to be more a lot more. Lurie endured shitty season with Kotite, Rhodes, and even Reid in his final years. This seems so abrupt and so out of the blue.

Thanks for the brief memories Chip :(

MechDX

josh-mcdaniels.jpg

"I got you Philly!"
promptly trades 3rd round pick for Hoyer

JABEE

Peters has been a me first guy his entire career. I don't blame him either, but Peters looks out for himself and only himself. Dude has his own back, will be the first one off the boat, pushing old ladies out of the way Costanza style.
And the dude can play.

Hopefully he can return to form. He was playing through multiple injuries, but he's old. Only so many years.

Sanjuro

As much as Chip maybe deserved to be fired, and we will probably learn a lot more of the background, rumors, in fighting, FUCK LURIE for doing this.

So after you pulled the rug from Howie Roseman cause Chip convinced you and then you let Chip tear the team and build in his vision all of a sudden you realize this isn't a good idea? WTF? It was never a good idea to give him full power. I am shocked Lurie let this happen or fired him. Leads me to believe a lot more happened and probably not all football related for this to take place.

Lurie is a patient man. He let Reid coach for 14 years here and 5 seasons past his best years. He wanted to hire Chip to build a whole program and culture for the long run. He give Chip power after 2 seasons assuming its all headed in the right direction and being pleased with his performance the first two seasons. And now 1 bad season and its all over?

I don't know what I hate more now. That Lurie gave in to giving him power or that he fired him after basically his 1 season as GM. This isn't a strong QB class coming out so it can't be fear that Chip would mess up a top 5 pick on a bad or the wrong QB. Might as well have let him finish rebuilding when you were so willing to give him total power.

And I know LOL CHIP REVOLUTION but I liked Chip and think he can coach in the NFL. He already showed it. Won 10 games first 2 seasons after taking over a 4 win team. Should have been in the playoffs last year if not for the stupid NFL rules about division winners. You win 10 games your first 2 seasons and have one bad season and you are fired? IT makes no sense and it shows Lurie being inpatient which I don't like.

Seems like a terrible soap opera. Howie was always Lurie's guy. Howie wanted McNabb, Banner, and Reid gone. Howie wanted Chip. Howie got Chip. Chip wanted power so he convinced Lurie to "promote" Howie but out of the GM role. Howie was still in the building and I bet in Lurie's year the whole season about how he would have done this or that differently.

Firing an underperforming coach is 1 thing but this reeks of backstabbing and a constant power struggle between 2 men Lurie really likes and respects. And because these 2 men couldn't get along he sided with Howie.

Fuck it all. Could have still had DeSean, McCoy, and Maclin but considering the vision was long term and everyone had bought into Chip, I was more than willing to go along with the ride and accept this 1 horrible season. Hell RG3 or Kaep might have been available. A top 10 pick. Yes the moves he made largely didn't work but the division sucks and they could just as easily build back up.

Chip will get another NFL job if he wants. SF, Indy, Tenn, and possibly Miami will be interested. And he sure as hell would want to coach Tenn. He wanted to stay he turned down interviews with top college programs.

Still doesn't make sense to me. Can't believe Lurie was this rash to make a decision. There has to be more a lot more. Lurie endured shitty season with Kotite, Rhodes, and even Reid in his final years. This seems so abrupt and so out of the blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc

image.php

image.php

rando14

I will say, Chip had the Eagles in playoff contention each year despite a revolving door at QB. The problem is he was also the guy responsible for that problem, along with many other questionable roster choices. He needs to coach somewhere where he can have input on roster decisions, but someone else has the final word.

I'd argue that Chip coasted off the talent acquired in the Reid era and now that "His boys" are in the team is trash

effzee

I will say, Chip had the Eagles in playoff contention each year despite a revolving door at QB. The problem is he was also the guy responsible for that problem, along with many other questionable roster choices. He needs to coach somewhere where he can have input on roster decisions, but someone else has the final word.

He only had roster say this season though I am sure he was behind letting DeSean go.

His only questionable roster moves were Murray. Bradford was a shot he took cause Foles sucks balls too.

Chip coached his butt off the first 2 years with a revolving door at QB that he didn't create.

squicken

And the dude can play.

Hopefully he can return to form. He was playing through multiple injuries, but he's old. Only so many years.

Peters and his injuries were a big part of the problem this year. He was awful the last two games. He was hurt and out in several other games which made the offense even worse. A lot of that is on Chip for not having any OL depth. Dennis Kelly was a penalty machine when not getting the QB planted

It's best to part with him. I am not with Pep about being mad at the guy. He played hurt and it's okay if he wanted out of the game. But it's time to move on for both sides

Pepiope

Oh something definitely happened. Lurie didn't even wait for the season to be over to fire Chip. Even if he didn't want to give up power, what would be the point of firing him now?

It sucks because I realllly wanted to see this team created in Chip's image, for better or worse, because he tried to do something no other coach in the NFL would ever think of. We aren't getting that now, and maybe it's for the best. Maybe Lurie saved us from 3 to 4 more years of undisciplined football. Our offense did get worse, dramatically, over the course of his tenure, but I had hoped there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Now we'll never know.

effzee

I'd argue that Chip coasted off the talent acquired in the Reid era and now that "His boys" are in the team is trash

Coasted? With the same roster Reid won 4 games. Reid wasn't using the guys right. Chip fixed that right away.

That he didn't want to keep them for 1 reason or another was another story.

Reid did similar things. Reid had McNabb and a defense Rhodes had built. Once those guys either left or retired, the D was never the same and Reid started doing goofy things like OLINE Coach as D Coordinator.

Hopefully Shurmur slows things down and just tries to get the game over quickly. Play if like the Pro Bowl. Play Thad Lewis

They better play to lose. Bench Bradford and Sanchez.

Start all the young guys. I don't want to play Seattle in Seattle next year, rather play Rams in London.

squicken

Jeff McLane ‏@Jeff_McLane
Jeffrey Lurie apparently spoke to a few players before making the decision, although several I've contacted so far said they weren't one.

Probably Kelce and Jenkins. I'm sure Jenkins wanted him gone. Kelce always supported him publicly, but privately who knows?

Hindl

Oh something definitely happened. Lurie didn't even wait for the season to be over to fire Chip. Even if he didn't want to give up power, what would be the point of firing him now?

It sucks because I realllly wanted to see this team created in Chip's image, for better or worse, because he tried to do something no other coach in the NFL would ever think of. We aren't getting that now, and maybe it's for the best. Maybe Lurie saved us from 3 to 4 more years of undisciplined football. Our offense did get worse, dramatically, over the course of his tenure, but I had hoped there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Now we'll never know.

Yeah same, I wanted to at least see him get one more year to see what he could do. Oh well. Maybe if Bradford can audible we can start winning more games (if he comes back)

effzee

Peters and his injuries were a big part of the problem this year. He was awful the last two games. He was hurt and out in several other games which made the offense even worse. A lot of that is on Chip for not having any OL depth. Dennis Kelly was a penalty machine when not getting the QB planted

It's best to part with him. I am not with Pep about being mad at the guy. He played hurt and it's okay if he wanted out of the game. But it's time to move on for both sides

Best to part with Peters? Nah. He can still play if healthy.

But what they need to do, with whoever takes over, is make sure they actuall draft OLINE men and create proper depth at OLINE.

Its so shocking that Chip overlooked that aspect. I really liked all the things Chip was trying and found logic in most moves, but yeah he did make some really head scratching moves.

I also wonder if we now get the full story of what happened at the draft. All signs pointed to making moves for Mariota and then nothing. Maybe Chip tried and Lurie stopped him. Or Lurie wanted him to but Chip said nah I can make Bradford work.

Largely I think too many overhauls were made in 1 season for the team to gel and be on the same page. Brand new Guards, brand new RBs, new QB, new WRs, new LBs, new corners plus safety all in 1 off season.

I don't like the firing still. You either let him fix this cause it was only 1 fucking season or you don't give him that power to begin with. Lurie seems like he gave in and then was like oh fuck no and then tried to change his mind. And in the meantime all the guys who were super talented were let go.

Who are the hot up and coming candidates? Hue Jackson comes to mind immediately.

Kelly to the Titans makes too much sense not to happen. Just don't grant him full personnel control and I think he can turn that team around. Problem is can he manage to not turn that locker room against him too?

effzee

Probably Kelce and Jenkins. I'm sure Jenkins wanted him gone. Kelce always supported him publicly, but privately who knows?

Nah Jenkins was a Chip guy. So was Kelce.

In fact Kelce was the mouthpiece for Chip.

I hate that this firing somehow proves people right about Chip and his style when in reality his style and coaching worked. His decision to find a franchise QB didn't and that really set the whole team back. He won with Vick, Foles, and Sanchez. And a shit worse D than what the Eagles have now. Chip can coach. Chip made some really questionable moves as a GM but he should have been given 2-3 seasons.

I don't like this new Lurie.

I wonder if the Giants have any interest in Chip. SF, Indy, or Tenn would be ideal for Chip.

squicken

Nah Jenkins was a Chip guy. So was Kelce.

In fact Kelce was the mouthpiece for Chip. .

Jenkins today talked about the defense being unable to ever be a top unit with the way they played offense. It's impossible to still believe in all tempo all the time. It killed them this year. You can't do it with a bad offense. Chip needed to adjust that and he never did

Jenkins also had some stuff over Thanksgiving about the team needing to be able to call out teammates in group meetings. Brandon Graham today echoed that saying he agreed with Jenkins about calling guys out on "effort". Pretty obvious that Murray and Maxwell were not adored. There were a few comments to reporters about Murray's slide vs Miami

Every time I get pissed off at Coach Shades for shitting the bed against yet another lousy team, I read something like this and think, "Well, I suppose shit could be worse."

Top Bottom