• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 17 |OT| - A Fraud’s Road Ends

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Old Republic is neat...always scratches that MMO itch when I need it to.

Just finally finished the Witcher 3. What a relief after three weeks of playing it. Just such a ridiculously massive game...like Skyrim but somehow even bigger. Might take a break for a while before hitting the expansion.

Just finally finished the Witcher 3. What a relief after three weeks of playing it. Just such a ridiculously massive game...like Skyrim but somehow even bigger. Might take a break for a while before hitting the expansion.

Now you can play Yakuza 5, and spend hours upon hours doing random shit throughout the cities.

I sat down last weekend to get that thing done. Got back to the Witcher castle, looked online and saw that I had literally 2 full acts left. I dont know if I can do it.

Vachiano is reporting from a team source that high level meetings have occurred about Coughlin's future and ownership is divided on the path forward. Tisch is in favor of making a change as are other high level people in the front office but Mara does not want to let him go. The expectation is that he will likely be pressured into making the change but no decision has been arrived at yet.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...-tom-coughlin-future-source-article-1.2481302

Vachiano is reporting from a team source that high level meetings have occurred about Coughlin's future and ownership is divided on the path forward. Tisch is in favor of making a change as are other high level people in the front office but Mara does not want to let him go. The expectation is that he will likely be pressured into making the change but no decision has been arrived at yet.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...-tom-coughlin-future-source-article-1.2481302

This is a bad year. You give him a rebound year and he will probably win the super bowl.

MechDX

Why not just promote him to vice president of something? Then he isn't fired and the team saves face

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Found Dega today:

CXhQDCuUwAA27Rp.jpg

RW9916U.gif

MechDX

I would like to think that Tom and the Giants both have enough pride to not do something so transparent and pandering.

I dont feel its pandering. If you respect the guy and all he did for the organization its a nice bonus for years of service. More than likely just going to retire anyway

squicken

I've never heard of some of the things that went on with the Eagles. Chip had a Chief of Staff as well as a Director of Player Engagement. These two were sort of Chip's buffers between he and the players. Players went to those guys with their complaints/requests/thoughts, and then those were supposedly relayed to Chip. The players felt their opinions weren't always delivered to Chip

My guess is Chip thought this was the most efficient thing possible, w/o realizing how alienating it was to actual humans. Lurie wanted Chip to fire those guys last year but Chip demurred. The Howie thing remains the dumbest thing. Who takes that job with Howie still there? He has been in power struggles with endless amounts of people, and has survived them all. Even if they bring a real GM to go along with the coach, both guys know Howie will be in Lurie's ear with his Wormtongue routine

e: effzee, good writeup

Disagree on the OL. Peters is not worth his salary, and his unreliable health make him really a bad idea to bring back as a starter. Seems like late-era Jake Long. Kelce is small. He isn't a good fit in all offenses. He may not work in a power scheme if that is the way they go. Two new guards. Could conceivably just be Lane back, though I guess Kelce is back too

Sproles cap savings are minor. I'd move on from Murray out of principle. More than a few players have whined about players not being accountable or wanting a coach that was "hard-nosed". Need another WR but really just have to hope Algholor develops. Bad rookie year.

I like the defense but they need a pass rusher and an ILB. Hard to know really until the new coach comes in and decides on a scheme

KingBroly

Banned
I've never heard of some of the things that went on with the Eagles. Chip had a Chief of Staff as well as a Director of Player Engagement. These two were sort of Chip's buffers between he and the players. Players went to those guys with their complaints/requests/thoughts, and then those were supposedly relayed to Chip. The players felt their opinions weren't always delivered to Chip

My guess is Chip thought this was the most efficient thing possible, w/o realizing how alienating it was to actual humans. Lurie wanted Chip to fire those guys last year but Chip demurred. The Howie thing remains the dumbest thing. Who takes that job with Howie still there? He has been in power struggles with endless amounts of people, and has survived them all. Even if they bring a real GM to go along with the coach, both guys know Howie will be in Lurie's ear with his Wormtongue routine

If you want to go after anyone right now, you go after someone in Bruce Arians' coaching staff. Look at Bowles in New York right now. The dude is a hard ass who learned from probably the second best coach in the game today.

SonnyBoy

Saw this quote from Deangelo providing additional perspective into what happened in Philly. I think the last sentence really did Chip in. The league is so small, it's a fraternity. When Frank Gore bailed on Chip this past off-season, many people felt that it was because other players warned/warded him away.

Meangelo Hall said:
It’s different from coaching 18 to 22-year-old vs. coaching grown men that probably a lot of them make more than you. There’s a different mindset that has to go into coaching those guys. You kinda have to let men be men. In college you kinda mold them boys into men. When you get to the NFL, you pretty much got men on your roster. You look for the guys in the locker room to kinda help coach them up and help mature them, as opposed to coaches really riding them or doing whatever he was doing up in Philadelphia. I don’t know. I wasn’t up there. I just heard the stories.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Peters should be gone if he saves the Eagles even a penny. Not only is he a huge injury risk and going to be 34 next year, but he's now weighing every play against potential future injury. He's gun shy to the point where he pulled himself out of a game. Even if you agree that it was a pointless game for him to be in, that mentality does not equal a player giving his best for his multi-million dollar contract.

SonnyBoy

Peters should be gone if he saves the Eagles even a penny. Not only is he a huge injury risk and going to be 34 next year, but he's now weighing every play against potential future injury. He's gun shy to the point where he pulled himself out of a game. Even if you agree that it was a pointless game for him to be in, that mentality does not equal a player giving his best for his multi-million dollar contract.

I think that's a bit unfair, granted I'm on the outside looking in as a non-fan of that team. From what I've garnered, the guy has played hurt for quite some time. So his level of commitment and toughness isn't in question. In last weeks game, he gave up 3 sacks to a 2nd round pick in Preston Smith.

It was obvious that Peters wasn't effective. So that more so speaks to bad coaching and player acquisition. If your hobbled LT has given up 3 sacks in one game and he's STILL the best option to play LT... Who the f*ck do you have as a backup? I saw a player who was detrimental to the success of the team and to his own health. He shouldn't have had to remove himself, the coaches should have done it first.

WanderingWind

I think that's a bit unfair, granted I'm on the outside looking in as a non-fan of that team. From what I've garnered, the guy has played hurt for quite some time. So his level of commitment and toughness isn't in question. In last weeks game, he gave up 3 sacks to a 2nd round pick in Preston Smith.

It was obvious that Peters wasn't effective. So that more so speaks to bad coaching and player acquisition. If your hobbled LT has given up 3 sacks in one game and he's STILL the best option to play LT... Who the f*ck do you have as a backup? I saw a player who was detrimental to the success of the team and to his own health. He shouldn't have had to remove himself, the coaches should have done it first.

Well, okay, so add to the above that your big money LT is giving up multiple sacks a game. That only strengthens the "he's done" argument, tbh. Whether its due to injury, age, bad coaching, unwillingness to give it 100% (and taking yourself out of a game is the very ultimate in that from any angle) the fact is that if the Eagles can cut him without incurring debt, it'd be smart.

SonnyBoy

Well, okay, so add to the above that your big money LT is giving up multiple sacks a game. That only strengthens the "he's done" argument, tbh. Whether its due to injury, age, bad coaching, unwillingness to give it 100% (and taking yourself out of a game is the very ultimate in that from any angle) the fact is that if the Eagles can cut him without incurring debt, it'd be smart.

And that's fine but I see that as a different discussion. It's just my humble opinion that his dedication/commitment to his teammates shouldn't be questioned because of one instance. Especially when he's playing for a coach that had serious hurdles in his relationships with players.

Players will put their careers on the line for certain coaches. Chip Kelly alienated himself from his team. Who would want to jeopardize their livelihood and earning potential for someone like him?

effzee

If you want to go after anyone right now, you go after someone in Bruce Arians' coaching staff. Look at Bowles in New York right now. The dude is a hard ass who learned from probably the second best coach in the game today.

Bowles was his own man/coach before the year with Arians. I think what you said sells him short.

He was long praised for being a good defensive mind and a HC candidate who for years was the token Rooney Rule interview.

SonnyBoy

Bowles was his own man/coach before the year with Arians. I think what you said sells him short.

He was long praised for being a good defensive mind and a HC candidate who for years was the token Rooney Rule interview.

Wow. That's pretty disappointing, yet also amazing because of what he's done since simply being given the opportunity to succeed in the HC'ing capacity.

WanderingWind

And that's fine but I see that as a different discussion. It's just my humble opinion that his dedication/commitment to his teammates shouldn't be questioned because of one instance. Especially when he's playing for a coach that had serious hurdles in his relationships with players.

Players will put their careers on the line for certain coaches. Chip Kelly alienated himself from his team. Who would want to jeopardize their livelihood and earning potential for someone like him?

I don't really disagree up to the point where you're using the word "commitment" to describe his actions. Whether you feel it was justified or not, taking yourself out of the game because you no longer feel like playing is 100 percent, literally the exact opposite of that phrase. You are not committed if you quit. You say it's justified. That's fine. I disagree, but it's an opinion. What's not really an opinion is calling a player that does that "committed." That's simply not what the word means.

You know who was committed? The other players on the field, most of whom were making substantially less money and all of whom were also working for a boss they may or may not have liked.

I don't blame the guy for not wanting to play any longer. But I also wouldn't be looking to extend big bucks to a guy who is 34, injury riddled and has shown he's fine with literally taking plays off when he's not happy - for whatever reason.

effzee

e: effzee, good writeup

Disagree on the OL. Peters is not worth his salary, and his unreliable health make him really a bad idea to bring back as a starter. Seems like late-era Jake Long. Kelce is small. He isn't a good fit in all offenses. He may not work in a power scheme if that is the way they go. Two new guards. Could conceivably just be Lane back, though I guess Kelce is back too

Sproles cap savings are minor. I'd move on from Murray out of principle. More than a few players have whined about players not being accountable or wanting a coach that was "hard-nosed". Need another WR but really just have to hope Algholor develops. Bad rookie year.

I like the defense but they need a pass rusher and an ILB. Hard to know really until the new coach comes in and decides on a scheme

Whatever the oddities with Murray, it's clear Howie and the current roster of players won over Chip and his regime. Thay includes Murray who echoed the team's sentiments when he told Lurie he had no confidence in Chip as a coach.

That, the money tied to him, and plus the fact that he is actually a good RB keeps him here I think. Both Ryan Mathews and Sproles are far more cap friendly to cut.

You maybe right about the offensive line but I think Peters is an elite athlete who has another 2-3 years if he chooses to play. His health was only in question this year due to an injury early in camp he tried to play through all season. He was very healthy and elite the last 2 seasons.

At the very least considering the need at Guards, I don't think that you also create a giant hole at LT or RT assuming Lane Johnson moves over.

I'd keep Peters, Kelce, and Land as is for another year and focus on starting guards and depth. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a OT somewhat early but not necessarily to start now. The whole OLINE needs depth, youth, and talent infusion. They haven't drafted an oline player in two years!

I also think Kelce is fast more versatile and not just a product of Chip's scheme. He was good under Reid as well.

On D, if they switch to a 4-3 guys like Brandon Graham and Vinny Curry can return to their natural positions at DE and rush the passer. I think that suits the D, the depth at DE, and the LBS better. The current log jam at MLB can also be better utilized under a 4-3 scheme.

SonnyBoy

I don't really disagree up to the point where you're using the word "commitment" to describe his actions. Whether you feel it was justified or not, taking yourself out of the game because you no longer feel like playing is 100 percent, literally the exact opposite of that phrase. You are not committed if you quit. You say it's justified. That's fine. I disagree, but it's an opinion. What's not really an opinion is calling a player that does that "committed." That's simply not what the word means.
It's my belief that he quit on Chip, not his teammates. I also believe that players don't interpret the sense of commitment/allegiance/rivalry the same way us fans do. And I could be totally wrong on this. If he was 100% healthy and did this, Id be more inclined to agree. But as stated in the post above, the guy played the entire season hurt. Why risk the rest of ur career and earning potential for a man who prolly doesn't give a damn about you? And for fans who'll forget about you after the next drat?

You know who was committed? The other players on the field, most of whom were making substantially less money and all of whom were also working for a boss they may or may not have liked.
Sure, they absolutely were. But that situation presents itself in many ways and numerously throughout the season and even over the course of a week. High profile players always get the benefit of the doubt over an UDFA or marginal player.

I don't blame the guy for not wanting to play any longer.
I think his motivation was mostly that of self preservation. Again, as fans we look at this as a game. And it is exactly that, a game but at the same time it's someone's livelihood. His body and the bodies of all the players are their livelihoods. I guess I'm just giving the guy too much credit, who knows.

But I also wouldn't be looking to extend big bucks to a guy who is 34, injury riddled and has shown he's fine with literally taking plays off when he's not happy - for whatever reason.[/QUOTE]

Milchjon

Belichick was "disappointed" by Chip's firing and said that a lot of the guys he fired aren't really doing well on other teams.

SonnyBoy

Belichick said that a lot of the guys he fired aren't really doing well on other teams.
I think that's pretty irrelevant because they were doing well on Chips team. Jackson, Shady, Maclin were lethal on Andy's team and Chips team. Just because some of them were injected into new circumstances doesn't erase that Chip made a poor decision in believing that his scheme trumped talent.

effzee

Couldn't be more wrong. He played hurt all season coming back each time early and at times after a few plays only because he knew, hell everyone knew, there was no depth or hope without him.

Do I like that he pulled himself out? No but I don't question his toughness, commitment, or ability to play. I'd be fine moving on from him but only if there is a solid plan on place.

Eagles did something similar and stupid IMO when after the the last run at the NFCCG, they let both starting tackles go with no real plan or players to replace them. Same with Dawkins. Then when the following season the team was no where as good, they blamed McNabb and shipped him out too.

Hmm come to think of it that was all Howie's doing. Well I guess if he has his way a lot of the big money guys who can be cut will be cut.

WanderingWind

It's not a big deal, tbh. But what you're doing is justifying (note: not being used in a negative connotation here) why he quit. Injury. Pay. Not liking his boss. All well and good. But, the fact is you keep saying "committed" when you mean "good player." The direct opposite of commit is quit. You can't be committed when you quit (for whatever reason, even if it is 100 percent justified) much in the same way you can be a sober jakncoke at 2pm on a Saturday.

The reason I feel this ultimately semantic dilatation is important is that it has absolutely become fair - if you're the guys responsible for making the money decisions - to question his overall continued commitment. It's not a guarantee that he'll do it again. But he has proven that it's something he's willing to do and when you're looking at big decisions, all fair questions have to be asked.

In any event, it's likely not going to matter. From what I've read, it doesn't look like the Eagles could even cut him without losing money, so it's a moot point.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Part of me worries that the Vikings will make a deep run only to lose in either the NFCC or SB in heartbreaking fashion.

That's more daunting to me than going 1 and done.

I've been hurt too many times.

Is your avatar a pic of Prince attending a Vikings game a few years ago?

Oh yeah, just saw your earlier post about it. I remember his constant intense emotionless stare.

Top Bottom