• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 17 |OT| - A Fraud’s Road Ends

MRSA

Banned
Will start reading all of your posts in Egg Shen's voice.

1726.png

Spinluck

Are we taking about movies?

I rewatched Phantom Menace last night. That fucking racially insensitive Jar Jar bullshit--not to mention him being the worst character in SW history, and those alien federation dudes were clearly based off Asian people. As if that wasn't bad enough, the movie is a gigantic shit sandwich, hard to imagine that Attack of the Clones might be worse. I also watched Creed last week, at least that was great.

Fuck George Lucas.

Are we taking about movies?

I rewatched Phantom Menace last night. That fucking racially insensitive Jar Jar bullshit--not to mention him being the worst character in SW history, and those alien federation dudes were clearly based off Asian people. As if that wasn't bad enough, the movie is a gigantic shit sandwich, hard to imagine that Attack of the Clones might be worse. I also watched Creed last week, at least that was great.

Fuck George Lucas.

Yeah older me realizes now.. Woof there was some latent racism in there Georgie.

It's still better than Attack of the Clones to me though.

Rando is a shirtless champion!!!

RANDO! RANDO! RANDO!

My goal is to make Rando a one time champion..

I'm so going 0-12. :(

Milchjon

IMO, AOTC is much better. Still has a lot of the same problems, but I love a bunch of the scenes. Seismic charges, that urban chase scene, the
Fett-Kenobi
fight, the
Yoda-Dooku
fight (don't think these spoilers really spoil anything, but whatever).

TPM truly has nothing going for it.

Honestly, personally I enjoyed ROTS more than TFA, mainly because I expected little, and any problems it had were in line with what I expected. The problems I had with TFA weren't what I expected, which made the impact of the disappointment larger. Audio-visually, I actually much prefer a lot of the ROTS scenes.

Despite all his flaws, Lucas always made it feel like all his planets, characters and actions were connected to a bigger universe. Through transitions, establishing shots etc. All his planets had a clear identity. TFA feels like a "small" movie in comparison. Half of it looked like it could've been shot within half a mile of my house.

IMO, AOTC is much better. Still has a lot of the same problems, but I love a bunch of the scenes. Seismic charges, that urban chase scene, the
Fett-Kenobi
fight, the
Yoda-Dooku
fight (don't think these spoilers really spoil anything, but whatever).

TPM truly has nothing going for it.

Honestly, personally I enjoyed ROTS more than TFA, mainly because I expected little, and any problems it had were in line with what I expected. The problems I had with TFA weren't what I expected, which made the impact of the disappointment larger. Audio-visually, I actually much prefer a lot of the ROTS scenes.

Despite all his flaws, Lucas always made it feel like all his planets, characters and actions were connected to a bigger universe. Through transitions, establishing shots etc. All his planets had a clear identity. TFA feels like a "small" movie in comparison. Half of it looked like it could've been shot within half a mile of my house.

I don't disagree and that is Lucas's strong point... The visual effects, sound, setting.. That shit is what Lucas is good at and has always been good at.

The prequels showed that he has trouble with story without feedback. TFA even with the criticism of how it's just Episode IV was better with characters and tone and that sort of thing.

Milchjon

Different strokes...

Thought the action scenes were completely uninspired in TFA. I only remember a single one that was kinda fun.
The escape through the that old crashed ship in the Falcon.
. The rest seemed mostly like a rehash without any defining moments-

I mean, it's a fucking Star Wars film, and I much preferred the character moments to everything else. Something's definitely wrong there.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Different strokes...

Thought the action scenes were completely uninspired in TFA. I only remember a single one that was kinda fun.
The escape through the that old crashed ship in the Falcon.
. The rest seemed mostly like a rehash without any defining moments-

I mean, it's a fucking Star Wars film, and I much preferred the character moments to everything else. Something's definitely wrong there.

None of that really has anything to do with the effects though. Go back and look at the prequels. The overuse of green screen effects and 2001-era CGI is really, really apparent. It looks really bad now. The practical effects of TFA are going to age so much better. Prime example, Jar Jar versus Simon Pegg's GameStop employee.

RBH

Eric Weddle wanted to make a statement.

Placed on season-ending, injured reserve earlier this week against his wishes, Weddle ran 50-yard sprints and did lateral slides on a side field while his teammates went through stretches at the start of Thursday’s practice.

Weddle appeared to be running at full speed, and his effort drew comments from quarterback Philip Rivers watching while the rest of teammates stretched.

Rivers said on Wednesday he wished that Weddle had more time to show that he could get healthy before Sunday’s game.

“I hate it that he’s not going to be out there for his last one and finish this season with all of us,” Rivers said. “That’s definitely tough. You don’t want to see it end that way for him.

“He’s played through a lot of things over his career. And so I would have loved to see him have the chance to get to Friday or Saturday, and see if he could go. But that didn’t happen because I think he would have done all he could to be out there with us one last time.”

Chargers head coach Mike McCoy said the organization decided to place Weddle on injured reserve on Monday after a conversation with the team’s medical staff, including head trainer James Collins, determining that Weddle could not make it back to the field healthy after reinjuring his groin.

Placing a healthy player on injured reserve is in violation of league rules.

“We made the decision on what we thought was best for the football team this week, with what his injury was, what his diagnosis was and when we thought he could play again and be at full speed to help our team,” McCoy said. “That’s the decision we made.”

McCoy said Weddle’s replacement, second-year pro Adrian Philips, had been in Weddle’s hip pocket ever since joining the team last season, learning daily from the veteran safety.

Along with placing Weddle on injured reserve, McCoy confirmed this week that the Chargers fined the 30-year-old safety $10,000 for violating team policy by not going into the locker room at halftime of the team’s 30-14 win over the Miami Dolphins two weeks ago, choosing instead to watch his daughter perform in a halftime show with the team’s cheerleaders.

An unrestricted free agent in 2016, Weddle is all but certain to be playing elsewhere next season. Weddle skipped voluntary workouts last offseason to show his displeasure with the Chargers’ unwillingness to sign him to a contract extension.

Weddle said he felt disrespected by the way the organization handled negotiations.

“It’s tough anytime a guy gets hurt,” defensive coordinator John Pagano said. “It’s always a setback. But the thing is, these younger guys are getting better. They’re playing more. They’re playing together, and you see the things they’re doing, which is good because it always takes reps.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-c...-weddle-runs-sprints-during-chargers-practice

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The opening battle in ROS is no joke though even after 10 years. There's just so much shit going on so I kinda get what y'all are saying.

Milchjon

None of that really has anything to do with the effects though. Go back and look at the prequels. The overuse of green screen effects and 2001-era CGI is really, really apparent. It looks really bad now. The practical effects of TFA are going to age so much better. Prime example, Jar Jar versus Simon Pegg's GameStop employee.

I'm kinda torn on the effects. TPM and to some degree AOTC and ROTS look like shit now, but back then they blew my mind. Just rewatched the intro scene of ROTS, and I still love it. There's nothing near as flashy and "state of the art" in TFA, which made it feel too grounded and kinda retro.

When you watch the OT, you are always aware that it represents the very cutting edge in effects at the time. Same for the PT. That blew my mind. Once again, trying to make it look more "real" also makes it look much more basic. Star Wars doesn't have to look real.

Think it's kinda the same thing for me with the Craig Bonds (which, unlike TFA, I truly dislike). Trying to make something a "better" movie doesn't necessarily make it a better Bond or Star Wars experience.

And no amount of improved effects can hide that the action itself is really boring.

You can't have Oakland and San Diego both move to LA and keep them in the same conference. Especially if the plan is to have them share a Stadium like the Giants/Jets. A Conference re-alignment has to occur. Now if the Rams and the Chargers move to LA, you have no problem.

If Oakland moved to LA and changed Conferences, you'd also have to keep them on opposite conference sides of San Francisco since Oakland would probably retain TV rights for the Raiders. One would be on CBS, one on Fox.

The whole thing's probably going to be very messy.

FYI that isn't a thing anymore, both networks do both conferences now.

Just like the video game argument, I don't watch movies just for the graphics.

The opening scene in ROTS had amazing special effects, but I had no idea who they were fighting or why, why there were so many ships or what side any of the ships were on. It meant nothing, even as massive capital ships were falling out of the sky.

TFA was very intimate, and I cared about EVERYTHING that I was seeing.

Not to mention that like video games we've long passed the point of no return in movies as far as being wowed by special effects.

One final day of Football, friends. One final day, for many of us, to watch our teams duke it out on the gridiron battlefield. Or show up and half ass it, as the case may be. And then, the select few will be able to continue to cheer on their teams in the coming weeks, as they are all eliminated one by one until we all get to watch in abject horror as the two supposedly best duke it out in the Owl.

And then its the offseason of Madden time and withdrawl symptoms.

Good Morning Friends, Enemies, Degenerates, Gata

Happy Saturday!

Unfortunately I'm still removed from my computer so you'll have to bring your own dance gifs

Top Bottom