• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 17 |OT| - A Fraud’s Road Ends

mr2xxx

Banned
What happened to Byrd? Top safety in free agency a couple years back and I haven't heard his name. I know he's been hit by the injury bug but how has he looked when actually playing? I know the Saints have one of the worst pass D but how much of that is on him?

squicken

What happened to Byrd? Top safety in free agency a couple years back and I haven't heard his name. I know he's been hit by the injury bug but how has he looked when actually playing? I know the Saints have one of the worst pass D but how much of that is on him?

I think LJ has said his success was kinda fluky, and based on INT totals buoyed by QBs throwing the ball right at him. Never was very rangey

effzee

Saints D is really perplexing to me.

They have thrown high draft picks, big time FAs, and known D coaches at it to fix it and it seems to only get worse. Is it the players, poor coaching, poor evaluation, or a combination of all?

How accountable is Payton for the mess on d?

Makes me wonder if both Brees and Payton were made available if that was a viable option for the Eagles. Ride Brees for another 1-2 seasons while grooming a high draft pick qb? But if Payton is going to create similar mess here on D then no thanks.

Just wondering pretty sure if Payton leaves he goes to coach a team with established franchise qb like Indy.

effzee

I think LJ has said his success was kinda fluky, and based on INT totals buoyed by QBs throwing the ball right at him. Never was very rangey

Chip who coached him at Oregon passed on him as a FA and instead signed Malcolm Jenkins who has clearly been the better player.

They have thrown high draft picks, big time FAs, and known D coaches at it to fix it and it seems to only get worse. Is it the players, poor coaching, poor evaluation, or a combination of all?

How accountable is Payton for the mess on d?

Makes me wonder if both Brees and Payton were made available if that was a viable option for the Eagles. Ride Brees for another 1-2 seasons while grooming a high draft pick qb? But if Payton is going to create similar mess here on D then no thanks.

Just wondering pretty sure if Payton leaves he goes to coach a team with established franchise qb like Indy.

Payton controls personnel. That garbage D is on him.

squicken

Similar to Howie with Lurie, I don't get how these guys keep getting 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances when they clearly haven't proven anything and are glorified accountants masquerading around as GM/personnel guys.

One of the Philly writers made the point that Lurie needs to do with Howie what he did with Chip; give him clearly defined power. I think Howie always gets by b/c his role is murky. So he can take credit and deflect blame as needed. He's so good at the office politics of it that his version always wins out

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Matthew Stafford Mic'D Up against the 49ers

One of the best NFL personalities to get Mic'D up. Love his enthusiasm and leadership on the field. He'll get on guys but he's mostly encouraging his teammates and offensive line.

And to Megatron: "I love you man." :*)

As we discuss all these firings, Terly Austin remains the best head coaching canidate out there IMO.

And if the Lions do not do something quick one team will be lucky to snag an unbelievably talented defensive coordinator.

Lions' Jim Caldwell expects Teryl Austin to become head coach this offseason

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/12/lions_dc_teryl_austin_expected_1.html

I'm perplexed as to what the Lions are going to do but it's really going to depend what happens tomorrow.

I personally think that we should fire Coach Caldwell and promote Coach Austin to Head Coach and keep Coach Cooter, obviously.

Coach Teryl Austin is going to be picked up by a team as a Head Coach, and that team will probably have the best HC candidate unless Sean Payton gets traded. There is no better Head Coaching canidate than Coach Austin this offseason IMO.

I don't get why more players don't demand teams? Was there a rule put into place to prevent it? Or is that reserved for dynasty families?

Mariota deserved Chip! Should have forced a trade!
If Chip really wanted Mariota he'd stay in Oregon then leave.

Also What the Duce is going on in Philly? Hopefully Staley does get a chance

effzee

Payton controls personnel. That garbage D is on him.

Meh. I was hoping somehow it wasn't on him so if the Eagles were to interview and bring him in, I wouldn't be too worried about the Defense.

Then again whoever the next coach is, he (she?), won't have much if any personnel power.

That's why I think with no personnel power and no set QB, Eagles job will only be attractive first time coaches who don't have many other options.

effzee

If Chip really wanted Mariota he'd stay in Oregon then leave.

Also What the Duce is going on in Philly? Hopefully Staley does get a chance

Duce is probably top 5 favorite Eagles player ever. I'm so happy for him that he got the chance and will continue to grow into a HC. Not sure if he is the guy right now but maybe whoever comes in makes him OC?

Great guy. Pickle juice game forever!

He would look amazing in Eagles green playing opposite Jenkins.

Move Thurmond back to CB.

Eagles gaf- What would you guys think of McDermott as HC? To me he is the #1 candidate for the job with Hue and Gase as 2a and 2b. I'd be fine with either of the 3, but I think I want a defensive minded coach who can fix the talent present on D.

McDermott as Head Coach and Spagnola as D coordinator? Both worked together under Jim Johnson and I think would turn the Defense around rather quick.

Though the fact that they have interviewed Duce already and fired Chip so early leads me to believe they have already identified Gase as the top choice and will be ready to announce him as Coach very quickly this coming week.

All the other candidates won't be available to interview until later next week.

Also is Sean Payton confirmed out as Saints coach?

Ray Didenger today said he is hearing Gase is the guy, said he would check a lot of the boxes that Ried did when Lurie hired him. Them getting the token minority interview out of the way so early definitely makes it seem like they have a guy in mind.

ampere

dKVhs14.png

lmao

100% sure this has happen numerous times.

Not something I'd think would happen, but it clearly does. Just weird

Beach

I wish the Chargers had a rival so Weddle could sign there. Sadly no one gives a fuck about the Chargers and this clown show certainly doesn't help.

Well, Weddle going to the Raiders makes a lot of sense for both sides and they are as close as a rival to the Chargers as there is one.

effzee

Ray Didenger today said he is hearing Gase is the guy, said he would check a lot of the boxes that Ried did when Lurie hired him. Them getting the token minority interview out of the way so early definitely makes it seem like they have a guy in mind.

To be honest I'd be fine with either Gase or McDermott.

The more I read about both the more I love. Louis Riddick was on ESPN NY radio earlier today and when asked who is top candidate would be he said without a doubt McDermott.

Both candidates have what the Eagles need. McDermott started as a personnel guy with Eagles before transition to coach, grew up in Philly, coached here, and is well known to Lurie. Learned under Reid, Jim Johnson, and now Ron Rivera.

Gases has a great resume with QBs and could be the right guy to start over like Reid. Only negative is that unlike Reid he doesn't have a top 5 pick nor a real can't miss candidate coming out this year.

I think Gase is who they are after. Would explain why they are moving as fast as they are. I suspect Tennessee will also have himy in mind and Eagles will have to really outbid salary wise and downplay Howie Roseman presence for Gase to take Eagles over Titans.

Striker

They have thrown high draft picks, big time FAs, and known D coaches at it to fix it and it seems to only get worse. Is it the players, poor coaching, poor evaluation, or a combination of all? .
Bad drafting.

They've had a lot of mediocre to bad drafts and only Cam Jordan is the only one defensively who's been worth a damn for them. They hadn't made many key mid-late rounds picks either. Only Carl Nicks, Jimmy Graham, and Jahri Evans were anything notable.

effzee

Why are we okay with McDermott again? Do we not remember when he was DC with the eagles?

Because he has proved himself in Carolina far more.

And keep in mind he took over after Jim Johnson passed and took over some of the worst personnel the Eagles have ever assembled on D. This is when they let go of key guys like Dawkins. I don't hold those 2 years against him especially not now when he has proven himself in Carolina.

And while the Eagles D was bad under him, they still made the playoffs in his 2 seasons and the Defense was never as bad as it has been posted McDermott.

Like I said if he is the guy, bring him in Spagnola as D coordinator, and watch the Defense turn around over night. Reading up on him, his players love him, he is young, and very smart.

For other defensive minded candidates, I'd look at the Bengals DC.

Top Bottom