• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 5 |OT| - A Fraud’s Hankering for Some Bites

jmdajr

Lions are now like Gary Kubiak era Texans. Just good enough to lose at the end.
"But the team is exciting to watch!" And yes Texans were once voted "most exciting team to watch."

Unfortunately, Texans are now back at Don Capers/David Carr era. Just garbage.

Bills update:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 23m23 minutes ago
#Bills GM Doug Whaley announced today on WGR that RB Karlos Williams suffered a concussion in the loss to the #Giants. He's in the protocol

eznark

Banned
So here is an honest question about a completely irrelevant player:

Jarred Abbrederis just signed a three year deal which pays him league minimum through 2017.

Why the motherfuck would any player EVER sign that deal???

Sanjuro

Lions are now like Gary Kubiak era Texans. Just good enough to lose at the end.
But the team is exciting to watch! And yes Texans were once voted "most exciting team to watch."

Unfortunately, Texans are now back at Don Capers/David Carr era. Just garbage.

Should have signed Cassel to complete the triforce.

Greg

Jarred Abbrederis just signed a three year deal which pays him league minimum through 2017.

the alternative being practice squad pay?

bionic77

That is a weird deal.

Maybe he knows someone in the organization and they are letting him stay on the team as a favor for friend/family?

dionysus

Yaldog

Is any of it guaranteed? That could explain it I guess.

Judging by his picture alone he looks like a career benchwarmer. If that's the case he got a pretty sweet deal.

eznark

Banned
the alternative being practice squad pay?

That only makes sense for this year. I'm asking why he would sign away the next two years. What if he plays great over the next 12 games? There is no upside to this deal for him.

Is any of it guaranteed? That could explain it I guess.
Of course not.

Judging by his picture alone he looks like a career benchwarmer. If that's the case he got a pretty sweet deal.
That makes no sense. He has unnecessarily created the lowest possible pay ceiling and gotten nothing in return.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Because otherwise he'd be on the practice squad making even less money. He's still super young, if hes good 3 years will be perfect time to build his portofolio up and ask for real money. If he's not he just secured 3 years of good wage so long as he performs ok.

dionysus

Yaldog
Because otherwise he'd be on the practice squad making even less money. He's still super young, if hes good 3 years will be perfect time to build his portofolio up and ask for real money. If he's not he just secured 3 years of good wage so long as he performs ok.

Ez's point is that if he is good enough to make the active roster he gets the pay automatically and still has upside if he performs well.

Only reason I would see to signing that deal is if some of it is guaranteed. Edit. Which apparently it is not so yea, seems dumb.

eznark

Banned

I don't think you know how NFL contracts work.

Its better than packing bags in your local supermarket?
This doesn't change the likelihood of that one iota.

Gotta eat bro , league minimum is like 400K
Also he's on the packers , might get a ring for being on the bench

eznark

Banned
Gotta eat bro , league minimum is like 400K
Also he's on the packers , might get a ring for being on the bench

He's already on the bench. The fuck are you talking about?

He is making league minimum if he signs the deal or not. As soon as you are activated from the practice squad you make league minimum.

He signed a deal limiting his pay to league minimum for three years.

NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

Players can only be on the practice squad for 2 years and are inelligible if they have been on the roster for 6 games.

Signing this contract makes literally no sense.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don't think you know how NFL contracts work.

This doesn't change the likelihood of that one iota.

Good contracts are only achieved if you have negotiating power, he has NONE. He's been kept on the practice squad despite injuries last year.

Additionally here is here contract: $435,000 in 2015, $525,000 in 2016 and $615,000 in 2017.

Coming from making barely any of that to now hitting those numbers, and his big desire to be a Packers (which he's been very upfront about), you can see why he would sign it. Especially if it was a "sign it or we'll look elsewhere" thing.

Sanjuro

Good contracts are only achieved if you have negotiating power, he has NONE. He's been kept on the practice squad despite injuries last year.

Additionally here is here contract: $435,000 in 2015, $525,000 in 2016 and $615,000 in 2017.

Coming from making barely any of that to now hitting those numbers, and his big desire to be a Packers (which he's been very upfront about), you can see why he would sign it. Especially if it was a "sign it or we'll look elsewhere" thing.

The reason he doesn't have any negotiating power is because he signed a stupid contract though.

eznark

Banned

HE WOULD BE MAKING THOSE NUMBERS REGARDLESS IF HE MAKES THE TEAM.

He signed a non-guaranteed long term deal for LEAGUE MINIMUM. Of course he has no negotiating power in 2015. But he is also assuming he will never have any with this deal. It's as dumb as it gets.

There is no way he actually has an agent, right?

Sanjuro

Maybe someone in his family is dying and he can present them with a token contract to show that he made it?

I'm going outside the box still.

BigAT

Only way it makes any sense is if all the years are guaranteed, which they surely aren't. Even if they were, you're really not betting on yourself at all.

bionic77

Maybe someone in his family is dying and he can present them with a token contract to show that he made it?

I'm going outside the box still.
More likely he is a family friend of the owner and his dream was to play in the NFL and this is there way of making that happen for a scrub.

Or even more likely he is fucking or getting fucked (literally) by the owner and his friends/family.

Sanjuro

More likely he is a family friend of the owner and his dream was to play in the NFL and this is there way of making that happen for a scrub.

Or even more likely he is fucking or getting fucked (literally) by the owner and his friends/family.

I'm an owner, and he ain't fucking me!

It's no risk to the organization though. It's only a risk to him, say he becomes some sort of relevant player.

Pagusas

Elden Member
HE WOULD BE MAKING THOSE NUMBERS REGARDLESS IF HE MAKES THE TEAM.

He signed a non-guaranteed long term deal for LEAGUE MINIMUM. Of course he has no negotiating power in 2015. But he is also assuming he will never have any with this deal. It's as dumb as it gets.

There is no way he actually has an agent, right?

What are you talking about? No he wouldnt, Practice Squad salaries are not set by league minimum requirements for active roster players.

This is from 2013 but still applies:

"If a player remains on the practice squad for an entire regular season, he would earn $102,000. A player with less than one accrued season on the active roster would earn a minimum salary of $405,000."

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/31/4677982/nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-eligibility

bionic77

I'm an owner, and he ain't fucking me!

It's no risk to the organization though. It's only a risk to him, say he becomes some sort of relevant player.
It doesn't make any sense if the guy is a real NFL player.

This only makes sense if he is the owners boy toy (or vice versa).

eznark

Banned
What are you talking about? No he wouldnt, Practice Squad salaries are not set by league minimum requirements for active roster players.

He can still be cut and resigned to the practice squad in 2016, unless he suits for 5 more games.

In 2017 he will be inelligible for the practice squad.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Why would somebody sign a $400k contract to get front row tickets to every Packers game for the next 3 years?

It's a mystery.

dionysus

Yaldog

What you are not understanding is that signing this contract doesn't guarantee he gets on the roster and actually earns the contract money. The only reason he would get on the active roster is if he is good enough to be on the active roster, and by collective bargaining agreement if he is on the active roster he earns league minimum no matter what. So this contract just gives him what he already has by collective bargaining agreement, and in return he gives up all upside. He gives up something for nothing.

Ez is right, it makes no sense.

Contracts are so fickle in the NFL it doesn't matter. If a player out-performs his contract, he'll renegotiate another one; If he under-performs, he'll be cut and presumably get some of the money that's guaranteed in that deal.

WanderingWind

Seriously, most people in the world would be set for life with 400k. Are we that far gone that we don't recognize that it's still a shitload of money to basically do nothing but work out?

Pagusas

Elden Member
He can still be cut and resigned to the practice squad in 2016, unless he suits for 5 more games.

In 2017 he will be inelligible for the practice squad.

Sure, and any player risk that. But if this was the contract presented to him and the team had a take it or leave it stance, than he had no choice if he wanted to get off the practice squad.

Lets not forget any team could have signed him when he didnt make the roster yet everyone passed. He was injured last year, this is probably his last chance to show he can play in this league. Suddenly he gets a 4x increase in pay and finally gets to be on the roster, the catch is he has to sign a 3 year contract.

eznark

Banned
He was already off the practice squad!!, getting paid the amount he signed this contract for no matter what.

I feel like you aren't at a point where you can discuss this intelligently.

Contracts are so fickle in the NFL it doesn't matter. If a player out-performs his contract, he'll renegotiate another one; If he under-performs, he'll be cut and presumably get some of the money that's guaranteed in that deal.

He will never outperform it to the point of re-negotiating though. At best he'll outperform it and deserve like $1.5m, which he is now s.o.l. on. He isn't an impact player, but he might be potentially useful in spots as a returner, etc.

I wish my employees were this idiotic.

He was already off the practice squad!!, getting paid the amount he signed this contract for no matter what.

He will never outperform it to the point of re-negotiating though. At best he'll outperform it and deserve like $1.5m, which he is now s.o.l. on. He isn't an impact player, but he might be potentially useful in spots as a returner, etc.

Hire more football players

KaYotiX

Banned
after Kam punched the ball out, it was bouncing in the endzone a seahawks player intentionally batted it out of the back. The refs called a touchback instead of calling a correct penalty which would have been Lions ball with a first down.

Yup, waiting on Kas to explode over it. It was obvious as hell too that he pushed it out and the ref was looking right at him.

Milchjon

Lemme just send you my CV real quick

eznark

Banned
Jesus Fuck people.

1. Abbrederis was activated from the practice squad on Saturday
2. Starting Saturday, Abbrederis was getting paid a pro-rated league minimum of $400k-ish
3. On Tuesday, Abbrederis signed a 3 year deal for the league minimum in this and each of the next two years.
4. Abbrederis is only eligible for the practice squad at most one more season
5. If he is on the roster 5 more games this year he is no long eligible for the PS ever
6. He can be cut at any time

He got literally nothing out of this contract. LITERALLY nothing. If he played without a contract, he would get paid exactly this amount yet have the possibility of upside earnings in the future. He gave that away and got exactly nothing in return.

No need. I'll pay you at most minimum wage for the next three years. I can fire you at any time but you can't leave on your own. Thanks!

WanderingWind

Really?

I dispute this statement.

The average person in the world makes 18k a year. More than a third of those live off less than 2 bucks a day. In the US, 400k is equivalent to roughly 11 years of the average salary of the regular worker. Used wisely, 400k would set you up for success anywhere in any first world country for life, even if you couldn't exactly hope to never work again.

bionic77

:lol

Would you really want to work for eznark?

You want to punch him in the face just by what he posts on a message board. I can't imagine what it would be like to get the same shit from him but with a horrible tone and facial expression that basically screams you are a fucking moron.

Jesus Fuck people.

1. Abbrederis was activated from the practice squad on Saturday
2. Starting Saturday, Abbrederis was getting paid a pro-rated league minimum of $400k-ish
3. On Tuesday, Abbrederis signed a 3 year deal for the league minimum in this and each of the next two years.
4. Abbrederis is only eligible for the practice squad at most one more season
5. If he is on the roster 5 more games this year he is no long eligible for the PS ever
6. He can be cut at any time

He got literally nothing out of this contract. LITERALLY nothing. If he played without a contract, he would get paid exactly this amount yet have the possibility of upside earnings in the future. He gave that away and got exactly nothing in return.

No need. I'll pay you at most minimum wage for the next three years. I can fire you at any time but you can't leave on your own. Thanks!

I think he knows he has no upside.

eznark

Banned

You want to punch him in the face just by what he posts on a message board. I can't imagine what it would be like to get the same shit from him but with a horrible tone and facial expression that basically screams you are a fucking moron.

At least I'm genuine!

I think he knows he has no upside.

My only thinking is that it gives him some tiny leverage if he gets injured.

bionic77

The average person in the world makes 18k a year. More than a third of those live off less than 2 bucks a day. In the US, 400k is equivalent to roughly 11 years of the average salary of the regular worker. Used wisely, 400k would set you up for success anywhere in any first world country for life, even if you couldn't exactly hope to never work again.
I agree that if you saved $400k or more of that money you would be in good shape in any country, but most people I know spend what they earn and don't really plan for the future.

bionic77

At least I'm genuine!

I love you ez but that is every asshole's excuse.

"At least I say what I mean!"

"Yeah but you just told your secretary that a concussed retarded midget would probably make less mistakes in a year than she makes in a day..."

Milchjon

*NFL minimum contract, or no deal.

Honestly, I'd mostly do it out of curiosity and for future tell-all books.

Draxal

Hometown boy will use that good will/press to parlay that into something else when he's cut after a year, either with the Packers/Badgers.

Top Bottom