• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 5 |OT| - A Fraud’s Hankering for Some Bites

eznark

Banned
Most companies want it to look like they aren't making a profit. It boggles my mind when people say stuff like, "SONY IS LOSING MONEY!" Well, yeah, their accountants made it look that way but kept the books legal.

That's not really quite as true for publicly traded companies. They want to show modest growth to keep the stock price up. Traditional companies anyway. The difference is Amazon really isn't making a real profit, and that's sort of their point. Free cash flow is their king. Though, with their increasing dip into making stuff it seems like that is changing. Maybe they actually want to be profitable so

zychi

Banned
That's not really quite as true for publicly traded companies. They want to show modest growth to keep the stock price up. Traditional companies anyway. The difference is Amazon really isn't making a real profit, and that's sort of their point. Free cash flow is their king. Though, with their increasing dip into making stuff it seems like that is changing. Maybe they actually want to be profitable so

Wouldn't you want a slight dip down of your stock price when your reports come out? More people would invest at a lower price. People aren't throwing money at Apple stock because it's super high, but smart investors would throw money at well-known companies that had their stock slightly drop.

I"m not saying like when GM or Ford plummeted, but if Sony's stock goes down 5 points, and people know the brand, they might invest their money into the company over a more expensive stock.

There's obviously more to it than that, but like I said, I always laugh at posts on this forum that companies are failing when you don't get the entire picture of how they are ran.

cdyhybrid

On track to join Luck.

Maybe they can text on the sidelines during games after their O-lines get them killed!

He just might if changes aren't made.

Radio is suggesting there is no accountability with the OL - our starting C is learning the position on the job (he played DL in college), and we've got a guy on the bench who played C in college AND was the starting center for multiple 100+ yard rushing games last season for us.

Everyone else is struggling too.

don't post that trash in here

Hate seeing people fall for that shit but hey...can't say they aren't good at what they do. And what they do is bullshit. And if you listen to sports radio a lot you'll realize just how prominent that "good cop/bad cop" shit is.

"Aaron Rodgers is the most overrated QB of all time. GB would be better with Tebow"
"No, Aaron Rodgers is amazing and Tebow isn't an NFL QB"
Random minority female co-host: "Ok...let's see who social media agrees with"

Listening to Caldwell's presser now and he finally lost me. I'm done, get him out of here.

-Addressed the fumble call in his opening statement, said nothing can be done, and then said he would not discuss the call ever again. Also said he told his players not to comment on it to the media.

-Once again defends the offense, says they played well and are putting things together slowly. Jesus...

-Claims the offense wasn't in hurry up on the last drive....

Wow.

Not to pick on you but what are you expecting him to say in the press conference?

It amazes me how irate fans get over the things said in a mandatory action for coaches.

Russell was hit 16 times on 26 passing attempts last night, according to radio.

Neat.

It amazed me the past 2 seasons how teams just let Russell flow out to the right to make passes. Now it seems teams are coached to rush up the field then contain. He's gonna take a lot more hits this season.

eznark

Banned
Wouldn't you want a slight dip down of your stock price when your reports come out? More people would invest at a lower price. People aren't throwing money at Apple stock because it's super high, but smart investors would throw money at well-known companies that had their stock slightly drop.

I"m not saying like when GM or Ford plummeted, but if Sony's stock goes down 5 points, and people know the brand, they might invest their money into the company over a more expensive stock.

There's obviously more to it than that, but like I said, I always laugh at posts on this forum that companies are failing when you don't get the entire picture of how they are ran.

No because no one gives a fuck about those trend buyers. You want to keep institutional investors happy, and they give no fucks about anything other than quarterlies.

Your last point is spot on though.

BigAT

He just might if changes aren't made.

Radio is suggesting there is no accountability with the OL - our starting C is learning the position on the job (he played DL in college), and we've got a guy on the bench who played C in college AND was the starting center for multiple 100+ yard rushing games last season for us.

Everyone else is struggling too.

Didn't they have a really good starting center last year? Why don't they just put him in the lineup?

zychi

Banned
No because no one gives a fuck about those trend buyers. You want to keep institutional investors happy, and they give no fucks about anything other than quarterlies.

Your last point is spot on though.

Those institutional investors arent going anywhere when a stock that is 35 today drops to 30 because of the quarterly/yearly reports. They're going to abandon ship when a scandal breaks out, or the stock goes from 35 to 5.

cdyhybrid

It amazed me the past 2 seasons how teams just let Russell flow out to the right to make passes. No it seems teams are coached to rush up the field then contain. He's gonna take a lot more hits this season.

Yep. He'll still make a miraculous escape or two, but he won't run free all the time anymore.

Didn't they have a really good starting center last year? Why don't they just put him in the lineup?

Because Harvin worked out great, why not get Harvin 2.0?!

dionysus

Yaldog
They have positive cash flow, negative profits. It's their entire business model.

https://hbr.org/2014/10/at-amazon-its-all-about-cash-flow/

Right back at you with a link.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cf?s=AMZN+Cash+Flow&annual

Free cash flow includes amazon's new borrowings. Basically they have a very small positive cash flow that they make much larger by borrowing more money. Notice the year 2013 when they didn't increase their net borrowing they only generated 1.2 billion in cash flow, for a company with a current market cap of 251 billion that is pathetic. Even if you just look at operating cash flow it is a pathetic 6 billion in 2014 for its market cap size. For comparison, Walmart generates 28 billion in operating cash flow and has a smaller market cap.

I'll admit they do generate small amounts of positive cash flow, I was wrong about the negative part.

Like I said, amzn business model is revenue growth/churn => higher stock price => obtain more financing to fund revenue growth, not cash flow or profits.

IND @ HOU Houston since Colts suck this year

BUF @ TEN Mariotas got this!
CLE @ BAL Joe Flacco to the rescue!
CHI @ KC Jay Cutler will suck this game as always
SEA @ CIN Not Prime Time so Bengals win
STL @ GB Rodgers gonna be Rodgers
JAC @ TB Winston sucks.....
NO @ PHI Eagles also look sucky
WAS @ ATL Falcons on a hot streak and theyll probably beat the redskins easily.

ARI @ DET Lions HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
NE @ DAL In Tom Brady we trust :p
DEN @ OAK Surprise upset :p

SF @ NYG Eli's got this!

PIT @ SD Rivers is good enough to win it plus no Big benny boy.

eznark

Banned
Those institutional investors arent going anywhere when a stock that is 35 today drops to 30 because of the quarterly/yearly reports. They're going to abandon ship when a scandal breaks out, or the stock goes from 35 to 5.

Nah, computer models are more sensitive than that but yeah, that's my point. The real money isn't going anywhere based on minor stock price manipulation over a short period. There are like no arbitrage opportunities anymore.

I'm sort of anxious to see what happens when the automated investment sites hit critical mass. Playing around with some of them, you can force somewhat volatile transaction behavior. If enough people get super aggressive with betterment et. al, it could make for some fun times short term and bring back arbitrage!

Even if you just look at operating cash flow it is a pathetic 6 billion in 2014 for its market cap size. For comparison, Walmart generates 28 billion in operating cash flow and has a smaller market cap.
Wal Mart has no significant R/D or manufacturing costs. Amazon makes shit now, remember. Which means they have assets beyond inventory and dirt.

Not to pick on you but what are you expecting him to say in the press conference?

It amazes me how irate fans get over the things said in a mandatory action for coaches.

You're right, fans shouldn't expect much. I went in knowing he wouldn't use the refs as an excuse. But telling players not to discuss it and refusing to do so himself...laughable. But the worst thing is the nonsense about us not being in a hurry up offense at the end of the game. NFL coaches tend to treat media and fans like shit in terms of assuming they don't know anything...but this was beyond the pale for me.

The offense looks like utter shit in every game until the end when we're either in hurry up against a prevent defense (ie when the game is already lost), or in hurry up in order to win (like last night).

Grexeno

Fantasy Updates!:

Standings for Pick'ems Sponsored by Taco Bell™ Top 15
Standings for Pick'ems (Confidence) Top 15
Survivors Eliminated Week 4
NFL-Gaf Fantasy - Sponsored by Taco Bell™ Week 1 Results
Standings after Week 2
RIP My fantasy team
I am the Pick'em master

ampere

Rosie Colvin says that the Patriots used to practice what to do for a fumble when the ball was knocked into the endzone:

and then added

#hashtag

Of course Belichick knows the rules. He's always ahead of the refs because he knows the book better than they do :p

Russell was hit 16 times on 26 passing attempts last night, according to radio.

Neat.

He's a scrambler so they prob figured he doesn't need an O line

dionysus

Yaldog
Wal Mart has no significant R/D or manufacturing costs. Amazon makes shit now, remember. Which means they have assets beyond inventory and dirt.

Yes, but if I compare them to tech industry peers amazon looks even worse. Walmart is a more favorable comparison.

Though betting against amazon is a widowmaker trade, the fundamentals on amazon have looked like shit from the beginning but the company still exists and everyone who has bet against it has been destroyed.

eznark

Banned
Yeah they have eaten a lot of R/D costs the past 5 years. Hurts the ol Scrooge Money Silo

Of course Belichick knows the rules. He's always ahead of the refs because he knows the book better than they do :p

Willie McGinest said he had never heard of the rule.

Respect

NPR knows what a sports ball is?

Well - they were talking to one of the founders and he was talking about how it is in its infancy "to use a baseball term, we're just in the first inning here" or something along those lines.

Afternoon Respect. How are you doing? S.S.D.D?

Always, but not complaining...except the wife has strep throat and just told me not to drink from the milk that is open (of which I already have already had today)...oh well.

Hope things are going well for you friend.

zychi

Banned
Not sure if this is real, but its hilarious if it is:

Victor_Cruz_Wife.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Good, daily fantasy is rad. Especially for baseball and golf.

I just want the Feds to give us our online poker back. Doing it on a state-by-state basis won't help since it segregates the player pool. If you're gonna loophole in fantasy sports, get poker there at least as well.

Lions got completely hosed. I joked about the PI penalty the fans all cried about in the playoffs last year but that was with 6 minutes left. This was the last play of the game at the goal line. It's not even subjective like a PI penalty, either. It was obvious to everyone that the defender intentionally swatted the ball out of bounds.

Every play needs to be reviewable, with reviews being instigated by a cohort of rules experts watching the game, not just the officials on the field.

How much longer until the NFL and TV broadcasters get a hold of technology which detects penalties on every play? 10-15 years, if that? Whoever develops that is rich. Once that technology exists, how could the NFL not use it? And at that point who needs the refs on the field at all?

I don't think that they are an integral part of the culture, just a necessary part. Once they aren't necessary, dump em.

IND @ HOU - another exciting TNF matchup!

BUF @ TEN
CLE @ BAL
CHI @ KC
SEA @ CIN
STL @ GB
JAC @ TB
NO @ PHI
WAS @ ATL

ARI @ DET - Our season will officially be over
NE @ DAL
DEN @ OAK

SF @ NYG

PIT @ SD

eznark

Banned
Guys, Rodgers could never be successful behind a line as bad as Seattles

OL ranked by pressures allowed:

1. D.Barclay 21
2. J.Hurst 16
3. D.Newton 14
t4. K.Long 13
t4. Cherilus 13
t4. Staley 13
t4. Bakhtiari 13

oh

Always, but not complaining...except the wife has strep throat and just told me not to drink from the milk that is open (of which I already have already had today)...oh well.

Hope things are going well for you friend.

Goin fine at the moment thank you.

Why would your wife care if you drank from the milk if she has strep?

cdyhybrid

Radio just said that (coming into the game, I think), the Lions had been giving up a perfect passer rating on passes that travel 20+ yards in the air.

Crisco

Banned
Lions got completely hosed. I joked about the PI penalty the fans all cried about in the playoffs last year but that was with 6 minutes left. This was the last play of the game at the goal line. It's not even subjective like a PI penalty, either. It was obvious to everyone that the defender intentionally swatted the ball out of bounds.

Every play needs to be reviewable, with reviews being instigated by a cohort of rules experts watching the game, not just the officials on the field.

How much longer until the NFL and TV broadcasters get a hold of technology which detects penalties on every play? 10-15 years, if that? Whoever develops that is rich. Once that technology exists, how could the NFL not use it? And at that point who needs the refs on the field at all?

I don't think that they are an integral part of the culture, just a necessary part. Once they aren't necessary, dump em.

Dude your best player
5913153267_f25fe5072e.jpg

dropped the ball, come on.

Sure, with your team led by Cutler or Jameis Winston. You can always trade for Fatford. Hmm :)

Tannehill isn't inspiring right now and Romo is crippled so those are your options.

I put in a claim for Cutler, but things are very dire even with Brown, he has Vick throwing to him :/ and Tannehill is on Bye anyways so this might be an easy win for you :(

j-wood

I don't understand why, for major penalties only, the NFL doesn't allow reviews to happen. Penalties like the full pass interference, the one from last night, shit that effects the outcome of a game. Not talking about a random holding penalty or whatnot.

And it's not like it's complicated. You have rule experts in some NFL office watching replays. They call the ref, overturn penalty. Done. Less than a 5 minute process.

I put in a claim for Cutler, but things are very dire even with Brown, he has Vick throwing to him :/ and Tannehill is on Bye anyways so this might be an easy win for you :(

I need to rebound after losing to PD. But, I am hoping that I get a claim on Hillman which I doubt because I am seventh on the wire.

Just accept Fatford into your heart and give me something good for him.

Top Bottom