• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 5 |OT| - A Fraud’s Hankering for Some Bites

jmdajr

Truly it is 2005 again.

Astros good again, Texans back in Don Capers era.

They might still give me some hope if they win Thursday. But having them win is probably more cruel in the long run.

Respect

The Bills signed Billy Cundiff.

Never forget...

SgfS5.gif

Wasn't he one of better kickers in the league before he missed that?

Giants promoted a former Packers WR - Myles White.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2015/10/...s-julian-talley-dominique-jones-news-analysis

The Giants filled the open roster spot by promoting former Green Bay receiver Myles White from their practice squad to the active roster.

White is a 6-0, 182-pound undrafted wide receiver from Louisiana Tech. In 22 games at La Tech, White caught 86 passes for 1,132 yards and 16 touchdowns. White played well throughout the preseason for Green Bay, with 16 receptions for 157 yards and 2 touchdowns. As though the Giants actively wanted to continue the storyline, White was cut in favor of James Jones.

Though he is undersized, he has intriguing athleticism, with a 4.42 40 yard dash (low of 4.32), 6.90 second 3-cone drill, 4.13 sec short shuttle, 37.5-inch vertical jump, and 10-1 broad jump.

Any insight Packers fans? No clue if he ever played any meaningful snaps for you guys.

bionic77

We may have a shitty QB but our Punter and kicker are amazing!!

Hmmm they were also on our SB winning team, I'm starting to wonder if having an Elite Punter and Kicker is the key to winning the Super Bowl......
We had one of the worst 5 punters in the league and a average kicker (who was an above average fighter when it came to kicking the ass of paper towel dispensers) and a shit offensive line when we won in 2008. Sub 40 yard punters were not unusual for us that year.

So the answer is no.

Donté Stallworth @DonteStallworth

Brady actually paid practice squad and look team guys if they picked him off in practice. http://twitter.com/ShannonSharpe/status/651374235311558657 …

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...y-used-to-pay-practice-squad-players-for-ints

GOAT

When asked in yesterday's press conference about how the team gets players to understand league rules, Belichick gave an 8 minute answer

Q: Roosevelt Colvin said on Twitter last night that you taught your players that specific rule and practiced that situation. Is teaching players the rules an ongoing practice throughout the season, and do you have to teach all new players the rules because it seems a lot of players across the league are unfamiliar with the NFL rulebook?

Bill Belichick: I think it's a really good question, but it would entail probably a pretty lengthy answer. There are so many different levels that that question encompasses. Let's start with rookies coming into the league. The first thing we do is teach them the rules in the National Football League and in particular make them aware of the changes between the college rules and the pro rules, which there are a significant number. And we don't really assume because we have no way of knowing how educated or uneducated they are on the rules, if they even are the same between the two – between college and professional football. So, it starts there. The NFL comes in and they go through all the rules changes with the team and the coaching staff, they meet with the coaching staff in the spring, which is a very informative meeting, and then they meet with the team in training camp and go through the rules changes and it's usually done during the time when the officials come to work the few days of training camp that they do for each team. So, that's also good. It creates a good dialogue between the officials, the players and the coaches, and gives coaches and players an opportunity to ask questions. Sometimes the dialogue goes back and forth – how's this being coached, how's this being officiated and so forth. All of that is done with the intention of trying to get everybody on the same page. Each of our position coaches devotes a significant amount of time in the spring and then also in training camp, particularly in individual, one-on-one-type drills where a lot of times there are only two or three guys on the screen instead of all 22 so you can really get a good, close-up look at a lot of rules like that – the holding and illegal contact and offensive pass interference, defensive pass interference – all those kinds of things. So that's covered very much on an individual basis, specifically to that position. Obviously, the offensive guard doesn't have to know everything about pass interference and vice versa, but it's important for them to know the things in their position and how the game is being officiated. And then those things are also pointed out in various other team or individual settings as they become pertinent over the course of the year, whether it be a particular play or particular opponent or that type of thing. And then I talk to the team on a regular basis on situational plays, which involve officiating, timing, utilization of timeouts and so forth and so on, so that's probably on a regular basis from training camp all the way through the end of the season – call it once a week or something like that – somewhere in that vicinity. Sometimes it's more than that, but always trying to keep our team aware of situations, and a lot of times we change the situation a little bit just to extend the conversation about a play. So this is what happened, but if something else or if they hadn't had timeouts or if the ball was here, or the ball was there, just try to understand and comprehend totally what we're doing from a team standpoint or an individual situation. The whole sideline, ball security, whistle, all those kind of ball possession plays, those are very important for everybody to understand and we stress those a lot. Any time the ball is loose, like it was in last night's game, try to make sure everybody understands what they can do, what they can't do. And of course once you get into the kicking game, you can multiply everything that happens on offense and defense exponentially because you not only have the possession plays, but then you have all the plays that happen when the ball is kicked, and those rules sometimes are, well they are different than plays of possession like a runner or a receiver or a returner who's carrying the ball. There is the whole handling of the ball and the kick and did it cross the line of scrimmage and so forth and so on. It's a lot for the officials to understand, it's a lot for the coaches to understand, and it's a lot for the players to understand. But in the end we try to look at the rule book as a useful tool, something that can benefit us if we know what we have to work with, how to make the best of a situation based on the way the rules are written and try to maximize our opportunities there. But that being said, there is still a lot happening in a short amount of time. It's challenging for all of us – players, coaches and officials. I don't know if that really answers your question. We could probably talk about that one for weeks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...livers-a-lecture-when-asked-about-nfls-rules/

jbug617

Banned
Somebody burned down Manziel's family home in Texas.
http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/loca...-manziel-relative-destroyed-by-fire/73506944/

Fire crews from Whitehouse, Flint Gresham and Chapel Hill were called on to the scene, as well as the Smith County Sheriff's office. According to Brooks, the fire is suspicious in nature. They are investigating it thoroughly.

Arson investigators from the State Fire Marshals Office are being called in to do a search on the residence. Arson canines will also be called.

Check out the block by Newhouse (#73 here)

https://twitter.com/BigDuke50/status/651606724860772353

He's not a long term starter at RT for us but for an old veteran, he's put some good plays out there. I'm curious to see what direction Coughlin goes when Beatty is back on the roster. I really don't think they move Flowers to RT. He's their left tackle of the future and the future is now considering how he's played. Beatty at RT seems to make the most sense to me but will Coughlin opt for continuity and keep Newhouse there? I'm doubtful on that front and I hope not. Beatty is a better player by far when healthy.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Just keep Green Bay the fuck out of Europe and I don't care what happens

Wish we didn't have Thursday night games either

squicken

Johnny Manziel is close to his grandfather. When Manziel won the Heisman Trophy last year, he thanked him for practicing Hail Mary passes with him as a boy.

Manziel famously posted an online video saying he always wanted to go 100 mph on a boat — and apparently was doing just that on Lake Tyler with his grandfather at the wheel.

Texas has no speed limits on bodies of water, but it's unlawful for a boat owner to “operate at a rate of speed greater than is reasonable and prudent or greater than will permit him to bring such boat to a stop within the assured clear distance ahead.”
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...-was-larger-than-life-long-before-4723092.php

eznark

Banned
Just keep Green Bay the fuck out of Europe and I don't care what happens

Wish we didn't have Thursday night games either

The good thing about being a Great Franchise is that if you are playing on Thursday night it means no one else wanted the game, which also means it's likely a non-conference game against a shitty opponent. So it's essentially a free extended bye week.

Giants promoted a former Packers WR - Myles White.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2015/10/...s-julian-talley-dominique-jones-news-analysis

Any insight Packers fans? No clue if he ever played any meaningful snaps for you guys.
Poetically, he's the guy we cut to make room for James Jones.

I would say his upside is probably around a #3. He never jumped out to me as having potential to make the leap to full time starter, but he could end up being a decent receiver.

BigAT

He's not a long term starter at RT for us but for an old veteran, he's put some good plays out there. I'm curious to see what direction Coughlin goes when Beatty is back on the roster. I really don't think they move Flowers to RT. He's their left tackle of the future and the future is now considering how he's played. Beatty at RT seems to make the most sense to me but will Coughlin opt for continuity and keep Newhouse there? I'm doubtful on that front and I hope not. Beatty is a better player by far when healthy.

Newhouse has been a pleasant surprise this season.

squicken

Film Study with Aaron Donald

The objective, he says, is to keep Carpenter “off the linebacker, but at the same time, try to split him. If you watch, his head is down the whole time. He’s coming down, his head’s low, so I’m going to get him with a step, and I’m going to swim, use my quickness and get down the line, trying to get Lynch.”

Carpenter finishes the play with his face in the turf.

A3.jpg

eznark

Banned
Poetically, he's the guy we cut to make room for James Jones.

I would say his upside is probably around a #3. He never jumped out to me as having potential to make the leap to full time starter, but he could end up being a decent receiver.

If I'm any organization though, I'm tripping over myself to sign guys that Ted Thompson liked.

And remember, he made the Packers. He was on the team until Jordy got hurt.

eznark

Banned
How did Jordy getting hurt make him expendable?

They decided they needed a guy who could play now, not a developmental guy. If the Giants hadn't cut Jones, the Packers wouldn't have cut White.

"James Jones returns to Green Bay" was a pretty huge story line, "Packers cut Myles White" was not.

Yes it was.

Draxal

I'll think they move Flowers to the right for this year only. I don't think they want to ease Beatty into a position he never played, and while Flowers will be our LT for the future, he would make for an extremely nasty RT for this year. I do think Newhouse will get alot of burn in our Jumbo set as well.

Farooq

Banned
Brice Butler is out for the pats game. This has to be the thinnest wr corps I can ever remember.

Time for Escobar and Hanna. Also, I hope Whitehead doesn't fumble the ball.

Edit: Broaddus is hearing that they are adding another DL to replace Dunbar's roster spot. Curious who it might be. Oh...DT Hebron Fangupo, I remember now. It was between him and Irving. Or maybe Ringo. But Ringo measurables are hot garbage.

Top Bottom