• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 5 |OT| - A Fraud’s Hankering for Some Bites

Hindl

An interesting narrative is building that shows that maybe the Eagles offensive line (and Kelly's scheme, by extension) was never really that great to begin with and the success they enjoyed in running the ball in past seasons was mostly due to the greatness of LeSean McCoy.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Video-analysis-Why-the-Eagles-cant-run.html

And here is a post from 2013 that shows the same:

http://mcnabborkolb.com/blog/2013/1...ensive-line-quietly-even-worse-than-last-year

Saw that too, it does make sense. Aside from Lane we haven't addressed the line in a long time. Chip needs to address this in 2016 draft, otherwise this team isn't going anywhere. Seeing Mathews have success against the Jets gives me hope, and until the line improves more I can't fault Murray for his lack of success as well.

squicken

An interesting narrative is building that shows that maybe the Eagles offensive line (and Kelly's scheme, by extension) was never really that great to begin with and the success they enjoyed in running the ball in past seasons was mostly due to the greatness of LeSean McCoy.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Video-analysis-Why-the-Eagles-cant-run.html

And here is a post from 2013 that shows the same:

http://mcnabborkolb.com/blog/2013/1...ensive-line-quietly-even-worse-than-last-year

I have read that too, and you guys have watched more and so you know more about it, but I don't agree with that. My recollection is some very wide holes for the Eagles running backs to run through in previous years. Which created lots of wide-open receivers in the secondary.

Now, from what I have seen, it appears that defenses solved things last year at some point, to the point where the Eagles are behind this year. More than 50% of their runs go for zero or negative yardage

The one thing I have seen that I do agree with, is that Chip is the coach and the GM. So that is why he always says the problem is execution. Because execution being the problem means the players are the problem. If it was anything else then it would either be scheme or personnel , which would be his fault

Big Blue View ‏@bigblueview 2h2 hours ago
Coughlin said Myles White "knows the system well," can play slot and outside and has had first-team reps recently due to injuries. #nyg

...as expected. He'll no doubt get some chances on Sunday.

Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton 40m40 minutes ago
Ereck Flowers, Markus Kuhn and Jerome Cunningham all working as Tom Coughlin said they would be. #Giants

Good news on Flowers.

Hosely is also running on the side is likely to be cleared from his concussion tomorrow.

Bad news..

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz 40m40 minutes ago East Rutherford, NJ
Devon Kennard (hamstring) and Victor Cruz (calf) not on the practice field.
Kennard would be a big loss but I'd prefer they not rush him and cause a bigger problem.

Spinluck

Not sure if talking about Brady's wife is the best route to take coming from your situation... Hardy

Tammy gonna shred on Sunday

squicken

Some dolphin fans are going crazy thinking campbell will cure what ails Miami...it's a lost season and they need to move on.

What exactly did Mike Tannenbaum do to make Jeff Ross look at his resume and think "oh my that guy is really good at what he does, I'm going to give him absolute authority over my football team"?

Spinluck

@ColtsReporter
The @Colts have re-signed QB Josh Johnson and placed CB Jalil Brown on injured reserve. 5 CBs going into TNF, with Vontae status in doubt.

Spinluck

Ben Stockwell @PFF_Ben
Lowest % of runs with backfield contact after Wk4:

1. CHI: 13.1%
2. IND: 14.3%
3. NE: 15.5%
4. CIN: 15.9%
5. TEN: 18.5%

Dwayne Allen coming back should help the run game. Fleener and Doyle have been terrible finding their assignments in this scheme. And when they do they are getting blown up.

Brady said he doesn't care about what Hardy said.

He also said the balls were perfect

Anyway, I will be rooting for meteor, but since Hardy is a shit--I'd be ok if he got fucked.

What exactly did Mike Tannenbaum do to make Jeff Ross look at his resume and think "oh my that guy is really good at what he does, I'm going to give him absolute authority over my football team"?

They are both new york buddies since Ross spends most of his time there and he's a "Parcells Guy", fuck we still can't get rid of the Parcells stench.

bionic77

I agree with weinke.

Thursday night games suck.

Ain't nobody got time for that and also these games are destined to always suck.

Crisco

Banned
The nice thing about Hardy no longer being a Panther is I can laugh at his antics without that uncomfortable feeling of "this is gonna back to bite us eventually". Enjoy, Cowboys!

Tom Penny

It's pretty pathetic the media tried to slander Tannehills name claiming he mocked the practice squad salaries when he was really insulting them in a different fashion.

Mindlog

Rick Stroud ‏@NFLSTROUD 2h2 hours ago

Bucs OC Dirk Koetter says they should probably go no huddle more because @Jaboowins is very good with that tempo.
Hell yeah. Playing to the strengths of our smart decisive Quarterback.
Good days ahead Buc Fans!

Sanjuro

Was gonna take the kids up to Columbus last weekend for the pre-season but my daughter got pneumonia, plus the tickets are like $80. For a shit team in the pre-season. Thefuck, NHL??

That is garbage. Once they built the FleetCenter (TD Garden) here, tickets went up an insane amount. Before we won the cup, I was going to a bunch of games 2 for $20.

I'll pay $80 for a fucking playoff or anticipated game.

MechDX

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 18m18 minutes ago
The #Colts announced that both QBs -- Andrew Luck and Matt Hasselbeck -- are questionable for tomorrow's game vs #Texans

Josh Johnson looking like a GOAT incoming.

I have read that too, and you guys have watched more and so you know more about it, but I don't agree with that. My recollection is some very wide holes for the Eagles running backs to run through in previous years. Which created lots of wide-open receivers in the secondary.

Now, from what I have seen, it appears that defenses solved things last year at some point, to the point where the Eagles are behind this year. More than 50% of their runs go for zero or negative yardage

The one thing I have seen that I do agree with, is that Chip is the coach and the GM. So that is why he always says the problem is execution. Because execution being the problem means the players are the problem. If it was anything else then it would either be scheme or personnel , which would be his fault

I am with you on this. Shady had very big holes to work with, and the man blocking schemes when he was here actually worked. The frustrating thing is that when he didn't have a big hole he'd run sideways and lose yards, instead of just running into the backs of the offensive line. People weren't penetrating into the back field and practically taking the handoff when Shady was here. It almost never happened, but that's exactly what's happening to running backs now. Shady was never forced to lose yards, there weren't tackles being put on him because he couldn't get back to the line, he lost yards because he tried to make something out of nothing instead of just going for no gain.

That said it's definitely a personnel issue, which makes it Chips fault in the end. Having Mathis could have made a difference, but more to the point they just need new OL people that have talent. But it's not just that. Kelce, Johnson, and Peters are good players, and Kelce in particular is having a lot of trouble executing, and Peters has had nagging injuries the last 2-3 games.

The man blocking scheme wasn't helping things because the line isn't solid enough or doesn't have the timing down, but I think the team has already basically shifted away from those in the past two games in favor of zone blocking anyway, so I wouldn't say that Chip has refused to change his scheme in that regard. There's only so much you can do though when something as simple as a screen pass has the guard you pulled to block for the pass literally blocking nothing but air. There have been a ton of execution errors.

bionic77

Really? Some medicine for a week and she was fine. Isn't it only a big deal in like infants and olds?
Sometimes the meds don't work well and you are miserable.

Fucking doctors don't do shit!

Hockey is blah. I am not a young dude with too much free time who can watch sports for 10 hours a day.

gutshot

There were definitely times when big holes opened up and Shady had plenty of room to operate. But there were also plenty of times when he had to make a guy miss in the hole or in the backfield and he almost always was able to do that, especially in '13.

There definitely has been a defensive scheme adjustment as well. You see a lot more stunts and slants from the D-lines that aims to disrupt the blocking scheme. The Eagles also have tendencies that are now apparent which defenses can tee off on.

I am with you on this. Shady had very big holes to work with, and the man blocking schemes when he was here actually worked. The frustrating thing is that when he didn't have a big hole he'd run sideways and lose yards, instead of just running into the backs of the offensive line. People weren't penetrating into the back field and practically taking the handoff when Shady was here. It almost never happened, but that's exactly what's happening to running backs now. Shady was never forced to lose yards, there weren't tackles being put on him because he couldn't get back to the line, he lost yards because he tried to make something out of nothing instead of just going for no gain.

That said it's definitely a personnel issue, which makes it Chips fault in the end. Having Mathis could have made a difference, but more to the point they just need new OL people that have talent. But it's not just that. Kelce, Johnson, and Peters are good players, and Kelce in particular is having a lot of trouble executing, and Peters has had nagging injuries the last 2-3 games.

The man blocking scheme wasn't helping things because the line isn't solid enough or doesn't have the timing down, but I think the team has already basically shifted away from those in the past two games in favor of zone blocking anyway, so I wouldn't say that Chip has refused to change his scheme in that regard. There's only so much you can do though when something as simple as a screen pass has the guard you pulled to block for the pass literally blocking nothing but air. There have been a ton of execution errors.

I beg to differ.

http://gfycat.com/CostlyEmptyEastrussiancoursinghounds
http://gfycat.com/CloseRewardingBlackbuck

And according to the author, there were more like this. And, of course, the advanced metrics tell a similar tale.

I do agree that the execution of the blocking scheme has been much worse this year than in the past. And that is why the Eagles have the second-worst run game in the NFL. But even if they were performing at their 2013 standards, we still would not be at the top of the league in terms of rushing because the RB we have now is just not as talented as the one we had in 2013.

Top Bottom