• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 5 |OT| - A Fraud’s Hankering for Some Bites

Line_HTX

Stealing from jello44 because that robot is a Broncos fan. :p
FaST3Q4.gif

IND @ HOU - Who has heart, guts, confidence, AND WHO HAS NOT?! Let's go, Postseason Astros!!

BUF @ TEN - Tyrod's still cool. Maybe they won't commit NBA levels of personal fouls.
CLE @ BAL - That cheesy escape from last Thursday gave those wretched black birds momentum.
CHI @ KC - Reid game management.
SEA @ CIN - Andy Dalton is gonna SWAT those Illegal Bats back to the Northwest.
STL @ GB - A. A. Ron is his own referee, that that ref is in a State Farm commercial.
JAC @ TB - I believe in Printer Bear.
NO @ PHI - WHO! WHO! WHO! WHO! Squeak BREEEEEESSS!!
WAS @ ATL - Fucking Falcons schedule.

ARI @ DET - This offense is under the radar.
NE @ DAL - No way this'll be close unless Weeden goes super insane.
DEN @ OAK - Need more Papa John's commercials.

SF @ NYG - Eli is less derpy than Shook Kaepertaint.

PIT @ SD - Rivers can edge Vick out a little.

Spinluck

Luck died for our sins.

You can tank for QBs, but you cannot tank for a sober owner or fans that can sellout a home playoff game. Or a good GM, or a decent coach. Or 4 good offensive linemen.

ParityBit

It feels like the Eagles are really starting to implode.

Eagles coach Chip Kelly on DeMarco Murray's comments that he's not getting enough touches: "It’s tough to be productive when you’re not on the field."

eznark

Banned
IND @ HOU Houston wins 2-0 on a Watt safety

BUF @ TEN meh, home team
CLE @ BAL meh, home team
CHI @ KC lol bears
SEA @ CIN Red Rocket > Magic Water
STL @ GB please no injuries
JAC @ TB no, because who fucking cares
NO @ PHI meh, home team
WAS @ ATL Cowardly rides the weak schedule

ARI @ DET lololol
NE @ DAL who cares?
DEN @ OAK Carr with 6 turnovers

SF @ NYG Kaepernick might be the worst starter at any position in football.

PIT @ SD No one is going to watch this game.

oneHeero

The nice thing about Hardy no longer being a Panther is I can laugh at his antics without that uncomfortable feeling of "this is gonna back to bite us eventually". Enjoy, Cowboys!

Oh we're use to it, Jerry is a sucker for picking up bad apples in FA in hopes to get something out of it.

I'm just hoping to get production if he comes w baggage lol

eznark

Banned
The nice thing about Hardy no longer being a Panther is I can laugh at his antics without that uncomfortable feeling of "this is gonna back to bite us eventually". Enjoy, Cowboys!

Michael Irvin slit his teammates throat over a barber chair and no one heard about it for 20 years. You think Cowboys fans are worried about anything blowing up on them?

Jerry owns the entire city of Dallas. Who is gonna say shit?

gutshot

If the blocking allowed for the backs to get downhill, I would definitely want Murray getting most of the snaps. But as it stands, with little blocking, Matthews is a better fit.

I definitely agree with that.

Of course, none of this should really be a factor against the Saints. Their pass defense is historically bad (Adjusted yards per attempt: 11.0!!!) so the Eagles need to come out throwing against them. And not just the dinking and dunking of the Atlanta game, but the downfield attack of the Washington game.

I beg to differ.

http://gfycat.com/CostlyEmptyEastrussiancoursinghounds
http://gfycat.com/CloseRewardingBlackbuck

And according to the author, there were more like this. And, of course, the advanced metrics tell a similar tale.

I do agree that the execution of the blocking scheme has been much worse this year than in the past. And that is why the Eagles have the second-worst run game in the NFL. But even if they were performing at their 2013 standards, we still would not be at the top of the league in terms of rushing because the RB we have now is just not as talented as the one we had in 2013.

I just don't see it. There have been maybe three clean running lanes for the Eagles RB in four games, one of which Murray went 30 yards on, and I think Mathews had the other which he went for 15+ on. Shady got that far more often than these guys do. He sometimes made something out of nothing, but an equal amount of time he made a loss out of what would have been a no gain. I would love if we could make something out of nothing AND have the head to know when to just take the no gain, but you weren't going to get that with Shady. I think in Chips mind he would rather take a no gain on 2nd & 7 than take a 5 yard loss and make it 3rd & 12 and that's exactly what he would get with Murray. Murray just can't do it by himself, and when you can't even make it back to the line you're going to take a loss no matter who you are.

I definitely agree with that.

Of course, none of this should really be a factor against the Saints. Their pass defense is historically bad (Adjusted yards per attempt: 11.0!!!) so the Eagles need to come out throwing against them. And not just the dinking and dunking of the Atlanta game, but the downfield attack of the Washington game.

At least last week silenced the people who said Bradford was incapable of throwing the ball deep. He missed too much, but it looked like a timing issue as much as an accuracy one.

squicken

@PaulKuharskyNFL: .@gregcosell on @Midday180: #Seahawks have most remedial pass game in the NFL. It's elementary. We marvel at it. Simple, unsophisticated.

Really? Some medicine for a week and she was fine. Isn't it only a big deal in like infants and olds?
Ah hell, I don't know. It just has a scary connotation for me based on getting it as a kid, haven't really heard much about it since then. Even when I wish your family well you find a way to make me feel stupid. ;)

gutshot

I just don't see it. There have been maybe three clean running lanes for the Eagles RB in four games, one of which Murray went 30 yards on, and I think Mathews had the other which he went for 15+ on. Shady got that far more often than these guys do. He sometimes made something out of nothing, but an equal amount of time he made a loss out of what would have been a no gain. I would love if we could make something out of nothing AND have the head to know when to just take the no gain, but you weren't going to get that with Shady. I think in Chips mind he would rather take a no gain on 2nd & 7 than take a 5 yard loss and make it 3rd & 12 and that's exactly what he would get with Murray. Murray just can't do it by himself, and when you can't even make it back to the line you're going to take a loss no matter who you are.

At least last week silenced the people who said Bradford was incapable of throwing the ball deep. He missed too much, but it looked like a timing issue as much as an accuracy one.

The thing is the narrative going into this season was the offensive line and scheme was good enough to open up the holes and we just needed a one-cut runner who could exploit those holes. Shady wasn't that guy, so Chip jettisoned him and brought in Mathews and Murray.

The problem is the stats don't support that narrative. The Eagles adjusted line yards in 2013 and 2014, basically the amount of yards that can be definitively attributed to the offensive line, was near the bottom of the league (25th and 29th, respectively). The reason the Eagles were still successful running the ball was because McCoy was a beast, especially in '13.

This year the Eagles offensive line has been abysmal, so that is clouding the outcome of this a little bit. Their adjusted line yards isn't just last in the league this year, it is last in the league by a wide margin. So the fact that the running game is an abject disaster is mostly on the O-line. But the point is even if the offensive line was playing as good or better than they did in 2013, our running game still would not be as effective because the back(s) are just not as talented.

Basically, Shady McCoy in his prime was really fucking good.

eznark

Banned
Ah hell, I don't know. It just has a scary connotation for me based on getting it as a kid, haven't really heard much about it since then. Even when I wish your family well you find a way to make me feel stupid. ;)

I was being serious! I appreciate the sentiment. I have no idea what to be worried health-wise about so I don't worry about anything.

Crisco

Banned
@PaulKuharskyNFL: .@gregcosell on @Midday180: #Seahawks have most remedial pass game in the NFL. It's elementary. We marvel at it. Simple, unsophisticated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/3nvazz/greg_cosell_seahawks_have_most_remedial_passing/

Wilson: "OK Guys, Huddle up! Alright, we're running 'Houston Right, 356 Fuzzy Bottom Fakey Right on 2 on 2.'

Baldwin: "Wait Russ, what do I do?"

Wilson: "Houston, Doug. Houston is Hitch"

Baldwin: "Ohhhhhhhhh....what's a hitch?"

Wilson: "Just run 5 yards and turn around."

Baldwin: "I can do that."

Wilson: "Ok on 2 on....."

Lynch: "Just give me the damn ball, Vanilla Shake."

Wilson: "No, and stop calling me that. It's play action."

Graham: "But I don't waaanna block!"

Wilson: "Oh for...you're not blocking Jimmy! You're going to act like you are then go right"

Graham: "Act like I'm blocking....I can do that!"

Wilson: "Ok, everyone got it? On...."

WHISTLE

Ref: "Delay of game, Number 3"

Mebane: "That ain't good man, you got us a penalty"

Wilson: "Thanks I got thi.....Mebane get back on the sidelines, we're on offense. Ok, for fucks sake. How about this, everyone just run around until you get open? That work? OK, Break!"

WILSON SACKED FOR 5 A YARD LOSS

Wilson digs the grass out of his face mask and walks back to the huddle

Wilson: "What the FUCK was that, O-line?"

Okung: "You said to act like we're blocking, boss."

Wilson: "I told JIMMY to act like he was going to block."

Lynch: "Just gimme the damn ball, cheesecake."

Wilson: "No, it's 3rd and long. Ok, everyone. Salem Right, Y Drizzle Left, Z Snuggle."

Baldwin: "What do I do?"

Wilson: "You know what? I don't fucking care, Doug."

Graham: "Just some good ole' backyard football, eh Russ?"

Wilson: "Shut the fuck up, Jimmy."

I would hope so. I mean he's the offensive coordinator I mean I've had job before where I was coordinating shit, and if shit wasn't right well it was my fault.

I haven't watched as many Seahawks games as you i'm sure, but this is what I see whenever I do:

Snap
5-7 step drop by Wilson
Scramble to the outside (usually the right)
run back towards scrimmage, throw a bomb to receiver.

Do you think said receiver was still in his original route by the time that bomb comes?

The thing is the narrative going into this season was the offensive line and scheme was good enough to open up the holes and we just needed a one-cut runner who could exploit those holes. Shady wasn't that guy, so Chip jettisoned him and brought in Mathews and Murray.

The problem is the stats don't support that narrative. The Eagles adjusted line yards in 2013 and 2014, basically the amount of yards that can be definitively attributed to the offensive line, was near the bottom of the league (25th and 29th, respectively). The reason the Eagles were still successful running the ball was because McCoy was a beast, especially in '13.

This year the Eagles offensive line has been abysmal, so that is clouding the outcome of this a little bit. Their adjusted line yards isn't just last in the league this year, it is last in the league by a wide margin. So the fact that the running game is an abject disaster is mostly on the O-line. But the point is even if the offensive line was playing as good or better than they did in 2013, our running game still would not be as effective because the back(s) are just not as talented.

Basically, Shady McCoy in his prime was really fucking good.

That's a FO outsiders metric. The offensive line gets little/no credit for run plays greater than 10yards (I think?) by FOs metrics, even though on a large percentage of those runs Kelce/Mathis/Johnson would be pulled into man blocking schemes on the edge or chip blocking the NT then going for the LB that opened up huge swathes of open field for Shady to run in. They get barely any credit for those plays. I see it as a flaw in the FOs metric for OL run blocking grades more than anything. FO also heavily penalizes OL for runs that result in losses, but barely penalizes them for runs that go for no gain. I just don't think the metrics they use accurately reflect the way the Eagles ran the ball last year.

Edit: Their metrics for OL:

Losses: 120% value
0-4 Yards: 100% value
5-10 Yards: 50% value
11+ Yards: 0% value

If a run goes for 11 yards, even if the OL were the primary blockers, they get zero credit. Conversely, if Shady dances instead of taking the no gain he could, the OL gets punished.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article38085930.html

Ryan Tannehill is livid with a National Football Post report that, in Tannehill’s view, erroneously accused him of telling a scout team player to “enjoy your practice squad paycheck.”

Speaking with reporters Wednesday, Tannehill held little back.

“Yeah, I’m upset,” Tannehill said. “Honestly, it’s slanderous to report things that I didn’t say. To put words in my mouth that I didn’t say and to degrade my reputation and what I stand for, honestly, it’s sickening to me. On top of that, just the fact that something inside the locker room gets out, honestly it gets me upset.”

The controversy stems from an incident Saturday in London — which was incidentally Joe Philbin’s final practice as Dolphins coach.

The Miami Herald reported Monday that Tannehill grew angry when linebacker Chris McCain did something more aggressive than typical for a Saturday practice, saying something to the effect that he would prepare a scout team trophy for him.

Other outlets also reported that he made a comment about a practice squad player’s salary. That never happened, Tannehill insisted.

“I got upset,” Tannehill acknowledged. “I said nothing about a paycheck or anything close to that. I know everybody in this building works hard every single day, so I respect guys and I would never take a shot like that.”

Tannehill added: “Am I happy about everything I said? No. The way things went down? No. But I hold myself to a higher standard than to take a shot at someone like that, especially guys that I work with everyday and I respect how they go about their business.”

Center Mike Pouncey backed up Tannehill’s version of events, calling the report “[expletive].”

Pouncey added: “He doesn’t deserve that.”

The dust-up was just the latest in a long line of leaks that undermined Philbin and his coaching staff and gave the impressive of a team in disarray.

That needs to stop, Tannehill added.

“Someone’s leaking, obviously,” Tannehill said. “I don’t think it’s a huge problem where everyone’s running to say everything that happened here, but I’d like to think as a team, when something happens in this building or out on the practice field, whatever it may be, that we protect each other and represent each other well. The fact that someone’s airing out our dirty laundry from within, it’s a bad feeling.”

eznark

Banned
Tannehill is so dumb he doesn't know the difference between slander and libel. Fucking clown. Enjoy your Texas education.

“Someone’s leaking, obviously,” Tannehill said. “I don’t think it’s a huge problem where everyone’s running to say everything that happened here, but I’d like to think as a team, when something happens in this building or out on the practice field, whatever it may be, that we protect each other and represent each other well. The fact that someone’s airing out our dirty laundry from within, it’s a bad feeling.”
Good to see some of Richie's lessons stuck.

Top Bottom