• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 5 |OT| - A Fraud’s Hankering for Some Bites

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The best part is Gerry Austin is literally the only person on Earth that caught this initially, and also was able to quote it's exact placement in the rulebook.
Yeah, it says a lot that only one of the most experienced former refs noticed it.

Damn, Ray wants to tar and feather this ref

Fantomex

Kas is just another Lions fan now.

A broken husk of a man who has never known true joy in sports.

LionsGAF support your brother through these times

I feel bad for Kas. Not even joking. And I'm a dolphins fan, usually I'm the one people feel sorry for. Stay up Kas! Come down to the OC I'll treat you some mariscos and some pho.

oh please

this is just ridiculous cdy

I agree with cdy. What's the alternative? You think this ref purposely didn't call a clear as day penalty because he wants Seattle to win? No way. I think the ref made an honest mistake, didn't know the rule, or didn't know how it's applied. It's embarrassing for the league and that ref, but that happens.

FWIW, it's an incredibly rare rule... I've never seen a situation like that in my years of watching football.

Also, NFL would have loved Detroit to win that game OR at least be put back at the 1 yard line going into the endzone with 3 chances. No way that the NFL wants a team to be 0 - 4, and Seattle at 1 - 3 makes the season that much more interesting.

Can we just marvel at this instead?

p24heNg.gif

p24heNg.gif

p24heNg.gif

p24heNg.gif

p24heNg.gif

p24heNg.gif

Bread

Banned
I agree with cdy. What's the alternative? You think this ref purposely didn't call a clear as day penalty because he wants Seattle to win? No way. I think the ref made an honest mistake, didn't know the rule, or didn't know how it's applied. It's embarrassing for the league and that ref, but that happens.
No, I said the outrage is because of the enormity of the call and when it happened, not because of the team and some referee bias towards the Seahawks. Maybe I'm being lumped in with that crowd I guess?

Josh5890

Honest question, if the exact scenario happened with the teams switched AND Detroit was called for the penalty giving Seattle the ball at the 1, and Seattle ended up winning, what would the reaction be?

Bring the teams back out.

Can we bring Brady back out against the Raiders while we at it? Is Golden Tate gonna put on a Seahawk jersey and go back out against the Packers?

Honest question, if the exact scenario happened with the teams switched AND Detroit was called for the penalty giving Seattle the ball at the 1, and Seattle ended up winning, what would the reaction be?

Same as always.

LOLLOLOLOLOL LIONS

No, I said the outrage is because of the enormity of the call and when it happened, not because of the team and some referee bias towards the Seahawks. Maybe I'm being lumped in with that crowd I guess?

I'm with you on the enormity of the call and when it happened, but the outrage is like "omg outrage... the ref made a mistake."

and then, I just can't get that outraged at it.

? The right call was made?

Although, honestly, I could very well see that if the opposite happened In seattle the refs would have huddled and gotten the call right. I do think a lot of the crowd hype gets into that, and there's this collective mania on the field and refs don't make the right call. Where as if the stadium is a mausoleum, then the refs slow down and analyze it and don't get caught up in it.

Bread

Banned
I'm with you on the enormity of the call and when it happened, but the outrage is like "omg outrage... the ref made a mistake."

and then, I just can't get that outraged at it.
i can get outraged at a referee not knowing the rulebook, this is embarrassing as fuck and unfair for the Lions.

cdyhybrid

Maybe you didn't see all the "Seattle always gets away with stuff like this!" posts.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Same as the reaction in this game: lol Lions

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

The outrage is basically because its a high profile nationally broadcast game and it probably cost the Lions a win. On top of it, this is the second time the refs managed to hose up a game winning call in Seattle. With the way the NFL punishes players and teams for the slightest missteps; the double standard for when refs HOSE things (see the Giants / Cowboys game with the fake PI against the Giants in the end zone) and get away scot-free (perception wise at least) grates on everyone.

You deserve the dolphins

Hush you. I restarted my Madden season just to try to create some scenario where they aren't a dumpster fire.

If it was the right call, there would be probably calls to change the rule (see: Calvin Johnson rule). If they say, ruled it incorrectly the other way (Lions guy tries to pick it up, kicks it out off bounds, is called for penalty) - then pretty much same outrage.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nah, we're the most penalized team in the league. A blown call is a blown call, regardless of when in the game it happens.

Sucks to hear, but it's the truth.

You guys really have more penalties than Buffalo this year? I find that hard to believe.

Top Bottom