• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 5 |OT| - A Fraud’s Hankering for Some Bites

Megatron isn't blaming the refs so I won't either. Just a stupid play. I understand he wants the TD but you have to recognize the situation. If you don't score it's 1st and goal with less than two minutes left. Secure the ball. If you score, grats. If not your running backs will score. Sigh.

Johnson is getting cut after this season. I'm glad he'll be able to go to a good team and win.

cdyhybrid

lol all that does is make the back judge sound incompetent at best, blind at worst.

He missed the call, plain and simple. Even old Petey Carroll admitted the refs missed the call.

I mean, you're right, but the refs missing the call doesn't mean anything is going to happen.

The issue is already settled in the league's eyes aside from potential penalties for the ref (that we won't hear about). So the debate is pointless.

Bowser

I mean, you're right, but the refs missing the call doesn't mean anything is going to happen.

The issue is already settled in the league's eyes aside from potential penalties for the ref (that we won't hear about). So the debate is pointless.

Yeah but every single debate in this thread is pointless though

Kiryu

lol all that does is make the back judge sound incompetent at best, blind at worst.

He missed the call, plain and simple. Even old Petey Carroll admitted the refs missed the call.
I didn't know about the rule and would assume that it's still Seattle ball after touchback.

I know right and that doesn't mean Seahawks were cheater this game as Neogaf people claims they are.

It is controversy call for sure! I didn't deny it but that's not our fault if we win that by Ref blown call.

lol apparently the back judge said he felt the bat was not intentional, but inadvertent

jlawyeahok.gif

giphy.gif

Roger Goodell is knocking at Belichick's with a fucking pitchfork if that was the Patriots, but since it was the humble and good guy asshole Russell Wilson I guess it's okay.

_woLf

This is the stupidest shit ever. It's not like the Hawks were trying to cheat the play. It sounds like it's a rule that needs to be better communicated if anything.

Line_HTX

For some reason I am picturing an image of an actual bat, painted in blue and green, as an Illegal Bat and there are a whole swarm of them all over CenturyLink Field.

Josh5890

For some reason I am picturing an image of an actual bat, painted in blue and green, as an Illegal Bat and there are a whole swarm of them all over CenturyLink Field.

Next Seattle home game is going to have so many cardboard bat cut outs in the stands it will be hilarious.

Honest question, why is intentionally knocking the ball out of the endzone a foul but doing so on an onside kick so you gain possession not?

Because it's a safety and throwing the flag for the safety ends in the same results so throwing the flag is pointless. Or that's what they said.... either way KJ didn't know the rules or he would of just grab the ball and if he miss it would of went out anyways but not intentional. And refs obviously didn't know it either.

10052015-kam05-1560x1142.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRbVeypFE3Q&feature=youtu.be

I turned the game off after the megatron fumble. Just seeing about the illegal bat now.

How do they miss that? Is it not reviewable? If it weren't the Lions getting screwed over, have to imagine there'd be hell to pay.

And yes, i figure even the lions could hit a chip shot fg to force OT.

Bowser

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 56s56 seconds ago
The Lions have been the last remaining winless team in the NFL 8 times, the most of any team

:kas :jnc

I turned the game off after the megatron fumble. Just seeing about the illegal bat now.

How do they miss that? Is it not reviewable? If it weren't the Lions getting screwed over, have to imagine there'd be hell to pay.

Yeah illegal batting is not currently reviewable.

I say currently because you know it's going to be reviewable next season.

It's a judgement call and therefore not reviewable. It's like pass interference... judgement call for the ref. The ref gets to judge if it was intentional or unintentional. He picked the wrong one.

AbsoluteImaginaryBantamrooster.gif

wYff5pF.gif

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 56s56 seconds ago
The Lions have been the last remaining winless team in the NFL 8 times, the most of any team

:kas :jnc

Yeah illegal batting is not currently reviewable.

I say currently because you know it's going to be reviewable next season.
Ok, makes sense. And I agree, it will be reviewable next year now that it gifted one team a w--

Well, ok, the Lions would've lost in OT anyway. But still

The back judge just needs to jump on the grenade and say he blew the call. No need to be an idiot and try and sell that inadvertent garbage.

DMczaf

What a stupid rule? Why are defenders not allowed to bat the ball out of the end zone if it is advantageous?

Why does the title not change hands due to DQ or countout in wrestling? Why doesn't the champion just get DQ'd on purpose and keep his title forever??

Why don't we allow any of the infractions that are currently outlawed if they're advantageous?

It just doesn't make sense. Like, if there's a fumble you can still knock the ball out of bounds so that the other team can't get possession, right? Just seems dumb to have a rule where you can't knock the ball out of bounds. Why not?

zychi

Banned
It just doesn't make sense. Like, if there's a fumble you can still knock the ball out of bounds so that the other team can't get possession, right? Just seems dumb to have a rule where you can't knock the ball out of bounds. Why not?

What is the controversy going on? Offensive player had possession of the ball, it went out of bounds in the end zone on a fumble, that makes it the other team's ball. That happened to my high school team, RB had the ball, fumbled outside the endzone, everyone tried to jump on it, and it rolled out of bounds on the side of the endzone. Touchback to the team that was on defense.

e: i see the controversy is actually the smacking of the ball out. ok nvm

Pro

My my how those Seahawks have a way with refs in that endzone on Monday nights #replacementrefssimultaneouscatchvsgreenbay

Jackson

Feels like a non-issue to me.

A blown call, sure, but had everyone known that obscure rule (which no one did) KJ would have grabbed it. He had plenty of time and space to do that instead of batting it. Even Marino and Lewis were like "What rule is this?!" after the game. Probably 10/10 defensive players would have batted it out as well, since no one knew this rule.

Game would have played out the same either way.

Kam needs dat rise doe.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Lucky call for Hawks, lol at all the "cheat" comments.

Hawks played a rough game and were lucky to get away with a win, THAT is worse than teh call to me. They really need to pick it up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It would be nice if they reviewed all aspects of any turnover/score in the last two minutes. Wouldn't slow the game down anymore and these oh, can't review or call a penalty on a play of that sort usually messes up the result of one game a season.

zychi

Banned
It would be nice if they reviewed all aspects of any turnover/score in the last two minutes. Wouldn't slow the game down anymore and these oh, can't review or call a penalty on a play of that sort usually messes up the result of one game a season.

Then you dont create fake rivalries over stupid fucked up ref calls. NFL has to manfacture drama somehow when 25 of the 32 teams are trash by week 4.

Guess who covers the headlines all week over NHL season opening, MLB playoffs and NBA training camp?

Megatron isn't blaming the refs so I won't either. Just a stupid play. I understand he wants the TD but you have to recognize the situation. If you don't score it's 1st and goal with less than two minutes left. Secure the ball. If you score, grats. If not your running backs will score. Sigh.

Johnson is getting cut after this season. I'm glad he'll be able to go to a good team and win.

i would arguably say it's better he DIDN'T score there. then you have what, 1:30 or so with the clock running or seattle has to use it's 2nd timeout, and you have the ball at the 1. you run on 1st, don't get it, now they're out of timeouts. then on 2nd/3rd down you can pick and choose what you do but ultimately if you score a TD it's tough for seattle to win (i'm sure the lions would find a way to lose it but just saying) with a minute left (tops) with no timeouts and needing a TD against a defense that has basically handled them all game

Line_HTX

I'm surprised so many didn't know the rule, the dolphins were screwed by it a long time ago so I know it well.

When was this and what was the situation?

I forgot there was plenty of time left on the clock. At the very least they could've forced overtime with a 20-yd FG or something.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Honest question, why is intentionally knocking the ball out of the endzone a foul but doing so on an onside kick so you gain possession not?

Probably because the offense can still potentially make a play on the ball. If an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field and a defender knocks it out of bounds whether going for the ball or inadvertently, if the defense does not gain possession it's still offenses ball.

A good friend texted my after the game saying how we got screwed. I turned my TV off right after the Seahawks got that last first down and did not watch ESPN afterwards. He was essentially saying "dude you guys got fucked again." I was more focused on the fact like PD had mentioned only the Lions can come back and get close with a defensive TD, Stafford throw perfect on that last drive and have our Hall of Fame GOAT player fumble on the last play.

Then I started reading all the hoopla on here and elsewhere.

Good call by squicken pointing it out right when the play happened. Kind of glossed over it only reading the "Wow" part which I had exactly posted right after posted

Either way it doesn't matter like I said. It is what it is and it's a shitty, heartbreaking loss yet again.

Stafford did have all game to make a good pass.... he finally made one in the last 2 minutes. Lol... I mean he had like 58 minutes before that to make a good pass.

Top Bottom