• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 5 |OT| - A Fraud’s Hankering for Some Bites

i can get outraged at a referee not knowing the rulebook, this is embarrassing as fuck and unfair for the Lions.

Yeah, embarrassing that the ref didn't get the call right, but I'm not really outraged as I would be versus say, the idea that the ref intentionally got the call wrong because he's caught up in Seahawks hype or wants Seattle to win, etc... Which is what a lot of the comments were directed towards when this first came out (maybe not your's though I didn't go back and read through)

Bread

Banned
Maybe you didn't see all the "Seattle always gets away with stuff like this!" posts.
Of course, winning teams will always get accused of better treatment from irate fans. But I don't think that if you replaced the Seahawks with the Bills that the outrage would be any less, maybe less people would have been watching? But it's still a regular season game that was likely decided by a huge fuck up on MNF.

cdyhybrid

You guys really have more penalties than Buffalo this year? I find that hard to believe.

Not this season (we're only 4 games in, give it time) but I'm going to refer you to my earlier post in this thread:

Nah breh, the Seahawks get away with more shit than any other team in the league!

oYMbWaB.png

A13sxjC.png

s9IxaAd.png

LfAyVqc.png

Xaz0eOY.png

#AllenMoney

Of course, winning teams will always get accused of better treatment from irate fans. But I don't think that if you replaced the Seahawks with the Bills that the outrage would be any less, maybe less people would have been watching? But it's still a regular season game that was likely decided by a huge fuck up on MNF.

That's exactly my point though. If it were the Jets winning like that the outrage wouldn't be nearly the same.

Syrinx

This is gonna be the next deflate gate, isn't it.

Fuuuuck and when I thought that was over...

This isn't the next deflategate. This was a fuckup by the refs and probably nothing more, unless somebody gets a hold of video of Pete slipping the back judge an envelope after the game.

We probably won't hear about this a couple weeks from now.

Josh5890

This isn't the next deflategate. This was a fuckup by the refs and probably nothing more, unless somebody gets a hold of video of Pete slipping the back judge an envelope after the game.

We probably won't hear about this a couple weeks from now.

That would be awesome

Not this season (we're only 4 games in, give it time) but I'm going to refer you to my earlier post in this thread:

Michael Bennett said it.

17th richest man in the WORLD.

THEREFORE THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST. WE HAVE THE 17th RICHEST MAN IN THE WORLD AS OUR OWNER. CLOSE DOWN THE LEAGUE #KraftMoney and #JonesMoney CAN NOT COMPETE!

Beach

The Giants have Sunday and Monday night the next two weeks.

That's 4 or 5 of their first 6 games being primetime. Dang

Draconian

Keeping the Seahawks from cheating causes so much work and stress for these refs that they blow obvious calls. What else is there to say really.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I feel like this discussion has overtaken the amazing videobomb Michael Bennett did post-game of Kam's interview. That was amazing.

squicken

Wright admitted to not knowing the rule and batting it. Said he didn't want to risk diving on it. And that's the thing. There's a tangible benefit gained from breaking that rule. Trying to recover fumbles can cause all sorts of weird bounces

Kam made a great play. CJ needs to hang onto the ball. And the refs blew a game altering non-call. All fair points of discussion

cdyhybrid

Keeping the Seahawks from cheating causes so much work and stress for these refs that they blow obvious calls. What else is there to say really.

You people are the worst.

Vaccines do not cause autism, alright? There have been dozens and dozens of studies that support this notion, and the one study that supposedly claimed it originally resulted in the guy losing his medical license.

Stop hurting humanity.

Michael Bennett is a modern William Shakespeare.

I feel like this discussion has overtaken the amazing videobomb Michael Bennett did post-game of Kam's interview. That was amazing.

Michael Bennet is such an idiot asshole that it doesn't matter. Lost all respect for him after his interviews during the super bowl when he was a complete prick to reporters who have to ask questions for their job.

I hope they do pay the man (chanellor). And then he finds out that the Seahawks are unable to put together an offensive line because they have the most expensive defensive backfield in football, and they they start under performing, and he blames coaching, or the organization, or the QB, or someone else.

eznark

Banned
Wright admitted to not knowing the rule and batting it. Said he didn't want to risk diving on it. And that's the thing. There's a tangible benefit gained from breaking that rule. Trying to recover fumbles can cause all sorts of weird bounces

Kam made a great play. CJ needs to hang onto the ball. And the refs blew a game altering non-call. All fair points of discussion

AND WE'RE THE LEAD STORY TIL THURSDAY BABY!

grant_r_goodell_roger_1024.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Giants have Sunday and Monday night the next two weeks.

That's 4 or 5 of their first 6 games being primetime. Dang

NFL writes the scripts for the season. It's their turn to beat the pats in the super bowl again so you might as well get as many primetime games as possible for the end of season Blu-Ray...

Or the real answer, NFC East gets a boatload of primetime games because they are all marquee teams. Even after almost two decades of futility the Washington DC football team gets a ton of primetime games, the Cowboys are "America's Team" and the Giants win the super bowl every four years in spectacular fashion.

Kiryu

Just move on...

That isn't Seahawks fault nor they didn't "cheat" this game.

Refs blew this because they didn't think that was a rule at the moment of critical play (and no one really caught the rule except Mike Pereira)

Sorry but it does happens to every game including Superbowl.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

If Deflategate taught us anything it's that evidence is not needed. Pete DID hand the guy an envelope and paid for that bad call.

I'm talking generally here, not specifically to this game/call. All sports refereeing has inherent tension between on-the-field calls and methodical review. It's actually a pretty interesting subject and there are interesting parallels between the standards of proof in professional sports and the standards of proof in the justice system. We ultimately sacrifice accuracy in exchange for pacing in sports, particularly in regards to the 'indisputable evidence' rule to overturn calls.

We can imagine a 100% accurate game that takes days to play out as computers review footage of every player at every moment on every play. Instead, we have more limited forms of review that gives extreme deference to calls on the field for a variety of reasons, primarily pacing, but this happens at the expense of accuracy. Of course, we can move the line farther in the direction of accuracy, but this increases game length as more penalties get called that are normally missed or overlooked for not being 'flagrant' enough. One obvious example of this problem: How many referees should be in a game? The answer to that question is inherently limited by things like time and money.

I'm not sure what the most ideal system would be or should be, but if the goal is to continually move in the direction of greater accuracy then eventually you want to move towards relying entirely on computers and automated systems. In MLB, for example, you could have a computer determine balls and strikes with much greater accuracy than a human umpire could, thus removing human error. But is that what fans really want or what's best for the sport? Even a 'perfectly fair' algorithm would still be subject to possible engineering or design flaws that could lead to incorrect calls, so even it can't provide perfection.

I do think there is hidden value in the drama of human refereeing errors, it's a love/hate relationship that I think fans ultimately prefer to computerized refereeing. I'm not saying the current system is fine as it is, or that it couldn't increase accuracy fairly easily without causing time or money problems. But there is a point where you say, more accuracy is not worth it.

Top Bottom