• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 5 |OT| - A Fraud’s Hankering for Some Bites

Zeke

Lot of talk around Panthers country about the team not getting a lot of R-E-S-P-E-C-T in the national press.

I can't be bothered to care about it anymore. If they deserve more buzz nationally, they'll earn it. They play 5 teams that finished 10-6 or better last year over their next 7. Four of those games are "spotlight games" (MNF,SNF,AGoTW,Thanksgiving).

I'm not gonna crown them for winning 4 games we expected them to win so I'm not gonna be mad when the talking heads don't.

They went 2-0 last year and some Power Rankings had them as high as 3rd in the league going into Week 3. They then went on to lose (or tie) 9 of their next 10.

Panthers Nation, chill out, and let the season play out.
be glad be very fucking glad. The media circus gets old real fucking quick. Every little thing gets picked or blown up. Most people asking for "respect" have no clue what they are really asking for. I'd gladly give panther fans the media circus Dallas deal with for a few seasons so we could fly under the radar for a bit.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
LfGPxDI.gif

bionic77

battlefield star wars is terrible, but I'm going to buy it for the sound
I am probably going to get the beta.

What is so terrible about it?

The graphics at least look pretty sweet. And someone posted a video of Darth Vader running around a field wrecking fools. That seems like a instabuy from me from that alone.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I was really looking forward to it too....damn it

Is it at least better than Battlefront?

I never cared too much for the previous 2 games. Having to work on those while doing 60-90 hour weeks trying to ship them out likely didn't help in that regard, lol.

eznark

Banned
I am probably going to get the beta.

What is so terrible about it?

The graphics at least look pretty sweet. And someone posted a video of Darth Vader running around a field wrecking fools. That seems like a instabuy from me from that alone.

Coming from playing a ton of Destiny, the shooting just isn't close. Maybe I'm just too low level in SW.

jmdajr

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/10/despite-outcome-texans-audience-on-tv-easily-outnumbers-astros/

Astros-Royals and Houston-SMU may have been the more pleasant outcomes for Houston sports fans Thursday night, but Colts-Texans, as expected, drew the largest television audience.

Indianapolis’ win over the Texans drew a 25.8 Nielsen rating on KHOU (Channel 11) and NFL Network in Houston, accounting for 612,414 of Houston’s 2.3 million television households.

The Astros’ victory over the Royals in Game 1 of the American League Division Series drew an 11.2 rating on Fox Sports 1, accounting for 265,854 households. The rating does not include the 45-minute rain delay, which likely also dampened viewership for the rest of the game.

gutshot

It's too early to say whether Kelly is a better coach than Reid. I like that he doesn't make boneheaded in-game decisions. Reid was always terrible at game day coaching. But I think, so far, Reid has proven to be better during the week, gameplanning for opponents and also just being a more well-liked figure in the locker room and getting the team ready to play emotionally.

Also, Reid was a much better GM. Think of all of the talent he acquired during his tenure here, especially in the draft: McNabb, Westbrook, McCoy, Jackson, Maclin, Celek, Kelce, Herremans, Sheppard, Brown, Cox, Cole, Boykin, Kendricks. In comparison, Kelly has only a handful of hands-down successful draft picks: Matthews, Logan and Johnson.

squicken

The Chip stuff to USC, doubt that happens. For one, I think his ultimate career goal is to prove his way works at the highest level. The other is I don't think he likes the CEO aspect of coaching at a big school. He wants to actually coach. Now whether he is good or not at the NFL level is up for debate, but I don't think he scurries back to college unless he is fired

brentech

Coming from playing a ton of Destiny, the shooting just isn't close. Maybe I'm just too low level in SW.

after playing BF for a bit this morning, I think it's the recoil. Destiny recoil, even at its worst, doesn't seem to be as jarring or throw you off track so much.

ampere

Kelly is just as bad at clock management as Reid with his "time of possession doesn't matter" philosophy. Remember the playoff game Saints @ Eagles a few years ago?

The Chip stuff to USC, doubt that happens. For one, I think his ultimate career goal is to prove his way works at the highest level. The other is I don't think he likes the CEO aspect of coaching at a big school. He wants to actually coach. Now whether he is good or not at the NFL level is up for debate, but I don't think he scurries back to college unless he is fired

He got GM powers this offseason so he basically got that same role as a college coach. Which obviously is not working out

Hunter S.

Does the Battlefront Beta include local co-op?

Because that is what I alway liked it for and want it for.

I know it probably does not, but a man can dream!

Nice to see him playing better than Peyton too.

26 versus 39. It is clear that a man that had a pinched nerve in his neck and has no feelings in his finger tips will falter eventually. It is more of story Luck is faultering because he is in his prime.

Talamius

Lot of talk around Panthers country about the team not getting a lot of R-E-S-P-E-C-T in the national press.

I can't be bothered to care about it anymore. If they deserve more buzz nationally, they'll earn it. They play 5 teams that finished 10-6 or better last year over their next 7. Four of those games are "spotlight games" (MNF,SNF,AGoTW,Thanksgiving).

I'm not gonna crown them for winning 4 games we expected them to win so I'm not gonna be mad when the talking heads don't.

They went 2-0 last year and some Power Rankings had them as high as 3rd in the league going into Week 3. They then went on to lose (or tie) 9 of their next 10.

Panthers Nation, chill out, and let the season play out.

People actually care about power rankings?

I care about where the Panthers are in the division and conference. That's it. I don't care if the Panthers are considered frauds or not. I will happily take being a fraud who makes the playoffs (good), or gets a bye (better), or even (pie in the sky) wins the Super Bowl. I will happily take Bill Barnwell and the other talking heads crowning the Panthers the worst SB champions of all time, because it means we won the damn thing.

It's too early to say whether Kelly is a better coach than Reid. I like that he doesn't make boneheaded in-game decisions. Reid was always terrible at game day coaching. But I think, so far, Reid has proven to be better during the week, gameplanning for opponents and also just being a more well-liked figure in the locker room and getting the team ready to play emotionally.

Also, Reid was a much better GM. Think of all of the talent he acquired during his tenure here, especially in the draft: McNabb, Westbrook, McCoy, Jackson, Maclin, Celek, Kelce, Herremans, Sheppard, Brown, Cox, Cole, Boykin, Kendricks. In comparison, Kelly has only a handful of hands-down successful draft picks: Matthews, Logan and Johnson.

Chip has had one draft without Howie being involved. Ried also had guys like Heckert doing the drafting when he was starting out. The biggest difference between the 2 by far though is Jim Johnson. Give him to Chip and let Ried have Billy Davis and see how differently things turn out.

eznark

Banned

USC won't be able to pay as much as Texas.

RIP Lindy Infante. I always thought he got kind of a bum rap. He sort of turned the franchise around after the garbage 80's. All throughout the 80's the Packers kept hiring Lombardi guys. With Infante, they finally broke away from that.

He won coach of the year in 89 with that really good Majik Man team. He was just stuck with a shitty GM and people thought he wasn't a leader. Brilliant offensive coach though.

Basically Lindy Infante was Joe Philbin.

Spinluck

Holy Fuck!

I don't know how I rank this Texans loss. Maybe not as bad Rosencopter, or VY scoring on the last play. But it was BAD. Luckily I didn't have to witness this one in person.

Good for Andre Johnson going to a team that finds ways to win even with trash. The geriatrics still found a way to win even with their 40 year old QB, "literally on his death bed."

We are on the fast track to a top five pick but then what? QB can't fix this. Run the ball and play good defense they said. The whole team is poop!

You have teams triple teaming Watt and double teaming Clowney with his one good knee while the rest do god knows what. We are never going to have a good Special teams. Plus, the idiotic penalties we get even when we find a rhythm is pathetic. We keep finding new ways to lose.

Speaking of, Hopkins just scored a lot of points on me in Fantasy. yay!

I rewatched some of the game this morning.

When we didn't assign more than one guy on Watt, he was being manhandled 1-on-1 by our RT Reitz.

Are we sure he didn't already put it in autopilot mentally?

Also, I cannot understand the improved o-line play since Luck went out. I think it's an understanding that Hasslebald taking one good luck might kill him there and then on the field. And unlike the Pats, we don't want blood on our hands.

MechDX

I rewatched some of the game this morning.

When we didn't assign more than one guy on Watt, he was being manhandled 1-on-1 by our RT Reitz.

Are we sure he didn't already put it in autopilot mentally?

Also, I cannot understand the improved o-line play since Luck went out. I think it's an understanding that Hasslebald taking one good luck might kill him there and then on the field. And unlike the Pats, we don't want blood on our hands.

I said it last night:Watt has checked out.

squicken

He got GM powers this offseason so he basically got that same role as a college coach. Which obviously is not working out

The CEO stuff is the booster and media stuff. College coaches have a lot more media obligations than pro coaches do. And the booster stuff they all hate, except for Mack Brown. Chip was said to always hate that at Oregon, but since Nike paid all the bills, he didn't have to do as much as most coaches at big programs

I agree about the GM stuff. I had no idea he gave Miles Austin $3.5m this year. Why he would do that and not address the OL depth is crazy. Even going into the year it was an issue, before the injuries started

eznark

Banned
Everything I've seen from the Star Wars game looks like a trainwreck.

Everything except the shooting is awesome. And since I've only played like 5 matches, I've only used two guns.

They fucking NAILED the star wars feel. Sound, music, art, transitions, etc. are all tonally perfect.

MechDX

Watt to New England really is a no brainer.

Brady has 2-3 more years left easily. They can ship their next 4 first rounders and a scattering of 2nd and 3rd selections to Houston in return.

Do it Rick!

The CEO stuff is the booster and media stuff. College coaches have a lot more media obligations than pro coaches do. And the booster stuff they all hate, except for Mack Brown. Chip was said to always hate that at Oregon, but since Nike paid all the bills, he didn't have to do as much as most coaches at big programs

I agree about the GM stuff. I had no idea he gave Miles Austin $3.5m this year. Why he would do that and not address the OL depth is crazy. Even going into the year it was an issue, before the injuries started

The Eagles had to have a veteran WR. No way were they going to go into a year with 2 second year guys and a first year guy out side of Cooper. I guess you can argue that he could have found someone cheaper, but why does the money matter if they are under the cap and he liked the guy? Chip has said they didnt address the OL because they liked the guys that they had, and they did play well last year when they filled in. They fucked themselves by not having any depth though, they should have brought in some scrap heap guys for extra depth at the least.

bionic77

Watt to New England really is a no brainer.

Brady has 2-3 more years left easily. They can ship their next 4 first rounders and a scattering of 2nd and 3rd selections to Houston in return.

Do it Rick!
Why would anyone want a attention whore who quits on his team in the first week of October?

Only Jerrah might be interested in this deal.

ampere

OK, yea I have no idea on that side of it. Fair point

Top Bottom