• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 8 |OT| - A Fraud Knows What He Likes

Fox318

Nfl opened this can of worms when they started doing the pink month and other such moths.

They are attempts to get groups that wouldn't normally watch football to pay attention.

These owners don't give a shot about women going through cancer.

Let the players raise awarness.

MechDX

Why does rick smith have a job?

A poster at BRB just posted this:
Got this from the Texans subreddit; apparently this guy works for NFL Network. Don't shoot the messenger

Hijacking the top comment to say that the Texans have not quit on Bill O’Brien, they quit on Rick Smith.

1 – Rick has been known around the locker room for quite sometime as untrustworthy and very underhanded in how he treats players. He sees them more as chess pieces than actual people. Seriously, this has been going on for a long, long time.

2 – The real straw that broke the camel’s back in the locker room before this year even started was the IR’ing of linebacker Mike Mohamed, a critical member of this defense who was well liked in the locker room. He was easily their best coverage linebacker, and someone who had earned a lot of respect over the years as he improved every single season into a defacto starter. He got a calf injury in the preseason that would have only sidelined him a few weeks (maybe half the season at the most if it nagged him), but Rick Smith put him on IR to "open up a roster spot that he needed".

3 – The real motivation for IR’ing Mohamed, however, was that he was in the last year of his contract and if he balled out again (as expected), he would have commanded a higher price tag next March. Rick wanted to save some money, so he threw his own player under the bus. Mo was furious and demanded his release with an injury settlement, which he got. The locker, then, was also furious because they lost a good player and a friend due to Rick being a fucking cheap ass.

4 – Rick has pulled this "IR stash" move every single year with young players who he thinks are either a year away from contributing or who he doesn’t want to have to pay as much down the road, which in turn has hurt their earning potentials later on when their resumes are not as good as they should be.

5 – This locker room absolutely cannot STAND Rick Smith, and now neither can O’Brien.

6 – When Ryan Mallett disobeyed team rules yet again and was STILL allowed to suit up because of Rick Smith, the team just stopped giving a shit. They never gave up on O’Brien, they just don’t want to play for a GM they don’t trust

Would also explain the stupid decision of IR'ing Savage who is now fully recovered already.

O'Brien does have final say on the 53 man roster but has to choose from the pool of players that Smith provides.

Just hit me: Texans are now some mutated combination of the Browns and Jets!

EDIT: Now it has been revealed this Reddit post was from Brett Kollmann. Contributor at BRB and currently works for NFLN

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Nfl opened this can of worms when they started doing the pink month and other such moths.

They are attempts to get groups that wouldn't normally watch football to pay attention.

These owners don't give a shot about women going through cancer.

Let the players raise awarness.

I wouldn't go that far. Some of these owners had cancer and have players with cancer.

jmdajr

Would also explain the stupid decision of IR'ing Savage who is now fully recovered already.

O'Brien does have final say on the 53 man roster but has to choose from the pool of players that Smith provides.

EDIT: Now it has been revealed this Reddit post was from Brett Kollerman. Contributor at BRB and currently works for NFLN

hmmm

JPP will do pre-practice drills and move to the side to work with athletic trainers during regular practice.

He came in weighing 268 pounds. Probably the lightest he's been since being with the team. They'll no doubt work on bulking him up a bit before he plays.I don't see him coming back until after the bye but it would be great if he can get on the field vs the Pats.

Beatty, Prince and Cruz all but ruled out for the Saints. Beatty will be doing scout team work and hasn't even had pads on yet. Prince will likely be another week or two. Cruz? Who knows.

MechDX

Brett Kollmann ‏@BrettKollmann · 22h22 hours ago
IR'ing Mike Mohamed was the straw that broke camel's back to me. Smith didn't do it save roster spot, he did it to make extension cheaper.

Brett Kollmann ‏@BrettKollmann · 22h22 hours ago
That right there violated the trust of the players and they haven't been the same since. Unnecessarily IR'ing Savage had similar effect too.

Teflon Rick. Heard the stories of how he threw Kubiak under the bus in 2013 and kind of blew it off because Kubiak did need to go but damn

Now the difficult thing to decide: who is at fault? the players hate Smith, fine, but does that give you the reason to quit? At the same time change wont come unless you take drastic measures as quitting. O'Brien as shitty or inept as he has been is in a difficult situation to keep players motivated and performing if they feel strongly about this. All comes down to the element I blame for this: Bob McNair

Well, if that true it makes a lot of sense. Why bust your ass when the GM is just going to take you to the cleaners and fuck you over? Play like shit and make everyone above the players look bad till ownership caves and breaks out the firing squad.

Godslay

Banned
Texan's cycle seems more along the lines of who to try and blame for the failures rather than someone standing up and being accountable.

It was Kubes, no wait it's Smith, but no its McNair, fuck BOB he did it. Why doesn't anyone just step up to the plate, take the beating and move on? It looks really dysfunctional from the outside.

As far as Smith is concerned, GMs have to treat players like pieces of a chess game to some degree. The best ones make it seem like there isn't that churn, but it's always there no matter the team.

Personally, I feel bad for Mech because it's constant and quite frankly I would lose a ton of faith in the org if you could see that they are always seemingly divided or at the very least that's the public appearance. I hope that they all get on the same page and clean this shit up because it's gone on for too long.

MechDX

I thought I knew what it looked like when a team quits watching the Dolphins play the Jets. Then I saw the Texans last weekend.

This is a powder keg right now. When/if the Texans lose at home to the titans this Sunday the bye is the following week. This shit is going to explode.

I'll be good though because my Panthers will destroy the Colts on MNF

eznark

Banned
1 – Rick has been known around the locker room for quite sometime as untrustworthy and very underhanded in how he treats players. He sees them more as chess pieces than actual people. Seriously, this has been going on for a long, long time.

Ted Thompson is literally a robot and refers to players as assets. He removed Favre, Jennings, Williams, Woodson, Ryan Grant, Scott Wells, Kampman, etc. when they were no longer useful.

Not a lot of quit up in GB though.

GM's job is to treat guys like assets. Coaches job is to make them feel like part of a team.

Line_HTX

Morning.

Although the Texans terminated former backup quarterback Ryan Mallett’s two-year, $7.005 million contract Tuesday, he’s eligible for $1.47 million in termination pay for the remainder of his Paragraph 5 base salary under the NFL collective bargaining agreement.

That still counts against the Texans’ salary cap

lol!

Robbed by a druggie.

I think we all know what needs to be done. Embrace this man as HC, Texans fans:

pariani_brian.jpg

Like it or not the Browns are the litmus test for organizational dysfunction. Sorry bae but facts are facts
Yes while being a Browns fans, it is the not lost on me the perception of the team and our history. I just think it's silly when other fans of teams in the shit take time to throw stones. But that's just me 🐸🐸🐸
#BOBonMechBOBon

I keep submitting my resume' but no one is listening.

Greg as my head coach
Squicken my head of scouting
Spin would be the head of nutrition
Bae BG would just be my lackey
Trejo head of cheerleaders

You're cut. You were going to be my head of bringing players home to. :(

You will have the second best cheerleaders in the league!

BigAT

EDIT: Now it has been revealed this Reddit post was from Brett Kollmann. Contributor at BRB and currently works for NFLN

So the Texans didn't quit on BOB, he just never had their respect enough in the first place to prevent them from sabotaging the team in an attempt to spite management. Got it.

So the Texans didn't quit on BOB, he just never had their respect enough in the first place to prevent them from sabotaging the team in an attempt to spite management. Got it.

Yeah it really does read like the players couldnt care less about Bob. Their plan to sabotage the season to get the GM fired is also going to get the coach fired as well.

Godslay

Banned
#HireJimBobCooter

You do know that Jim Bob Cooter got blackout drunk, drove to his old house which apparently he thought he still lived at, climbed through a window, stripped down and climbed into bed with the lady that lived there?

Weird situation, but still a case of bad decision making.

MechDX

Yeah it really does read like the players couldnt care less about Bob. Their plan to sabotage the season to get the GM fired is also going to get the coach fired as well.

Win/Win

You do know that Jim Bob Cooter got blackout drunk, drove to his old house which apparently he thought he still lived at, climbed through a window, stripped down and climbed into bed with the lady that lived there?

Who doesn't want a coach that does this?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

Mech wants to hire more criminals. #FireMechForNotHiringMe

This is bullshit. Every GM in the league does what Rick Smith is accused of here. To a GM, players ARE assets.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
All of that shit is a bunch of non sense. The problem is the defense is fucking slow and taking bad angles. Dolphins skill players once out in free space weren't even touched. You can clearly see Texans defenders running full speed and the dolphins players just running away from them. Rahim moore playing horribly, being a horrible safety, often knocking his own players down instead of the other teams players. Andre Hal, an undersized corner playing strong safety just flat out missing running backs because he's playing a position that's not his normal position.

Injuries and a bunch of slow linebackers and defensive backs are the problem. If they quit they wouldn't have beaten the Jaguars on the road just a week prior.

Whether that makes the situation worse or better, who fucking cares. Fire RAC, smith at minimum, O'Brien will likely stay but you can fire him too.

Line_HTX

Yeah, there's something about that BRB post that just feels weird to me.

I thought that players would normally "lose their faith" in the HC and just flat out quit on him.

It's kind of like what Godslay and eznark said, the GM's job is to shuffle the pieces, so why would the players care about the executive level when they got gameplans to make?

I mean I hate Rick Smith myself and thought he should've been gone two years ago with Kubiak, but I don't think the players need to worry about that aspect when they themselves don't execute the basics and look even softer than pudding.

MechDX

All of that shit is a bunch of non sense. The problem is the defense is fucking slow and taking bad angles. Dolphins skill players once out in free space weren't even touched. You can clearly see Texans defenders running full speed and the dolphins players just running away from them. Rahim moore playing horribly, being a horrible safety, often knocking his own players down instead of the other teams players. Andre Hal, an undersized corner playing strong safety just flat out missing running backs because he's playing a position that's not his normal position.

Injuries and a bunch of slow linebackers and defensive backs are the problem. If they quit they wouldn't have beaten the Jaguars on the road just a week prior.

Whether that makes the situation worse or better, who fucking cares. Fire RAC, smith at minimum, O'Brien will likely stay but you can fire him too.

Personally I blame McNair, Texans fans and the city of Houston.

Top Bottom