• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 9 |OT| - A Fraud Had Some Nice Shoes

NYHorn36

Fuck Sam Bradford and DeMarco Murray those goddamn land thieves. This Cowboys season has been such a disaster, and they keep making me think we have a chance each game.

squicken

Jeff McLane ‏@Jeff_McLane
Lane Johnson on Greg Hardy: "I've faced better. ... When things aren't going well he's a guy that shuts it down."

FTF

lol I love all these Giants fans already saying the Pats game is a loss...stop pretending like you don't believe they can win the game.

Farooq

Banned
I wonder where Jones would have lined up if Scandrick didn't get hurt.

I never would have antcipated this much man from Marinelli. They have essentially become a team that runs predominantly cover 1.

Honestly the Cowboys as a team are just not good. Romo being out is hurting them bad, but they just suck in several areas that Romo really has nothing to do with.

Farooq

Banned
Honestly the Cowboys as a team are just not good. Romo being out is hurting them bad, but they just suck in several areas that Romo really has nothing to do with.

A top 5 QB makes up for a lot of deficiencies on the team. Romo elevates the Cowboys to the point where their flaws aren't exposed as much.

Striker

lol I love all these Giants fans already saying the Pats game is a loss...stop pretending like you don't believe they can win the game.
People need to grow balls. If Prince plays there is absolutely a chance. They have been competitive in all their games so far minus one. Sucks losing John Hankins though. Giants DT's are straight ass now.

NYHorn36

We've had a chance to win late in every game besides the Pats game and the Falcons one. With Romo, at worst we're in the same position (with a way better QB at the helm), at best, we're running away with each game.

KingBroly

Banned
It's shocking how much the Cowboys rely on Romo. Even with Bryant, Weeden and the defense, without Romo, they're basically nothing. 0-6 without him. Laughable GM work on Jones' part.

Konka

Banned
It's shocking how much the Cowboys rely on Romo. Even with Bryant, Weeden and the defense, without Romo, they're basically nothing. 0-6 without him. Laughable GM work on Jones' part.

Yeah and it's not likely Tony Romo hasn't been injured in the past. You can't go 0-6 without your starting QB.

Farooq

Banned

They are afraid of developing a qb for someone else, like Tyrod Taylor and the Ravens.

That's why they settle for cheap veterans. But those veterans are cheap for a reason. The last time they invested in a quality back-up, they got burned by fucking Orton.

cashman

Banned
They are afraid of developing a qb for someone else, like Tyrod Taylor and the Ravens.

That's why they settle for cheap veterans. But those veterans a cheap for a reason. The last time they invested in a quality back-up, they got burned by fucking Orton.

Is time to suck off for Goff? Might not even need to tank that much with how his season has been going.

Not even the markiest of Eagles fans should have confidence in Bradford getting an opening TD here, so it's all in the defense's hands

as in, can Maxwell not do dumb shit

so basically, congrats DallasGAF

wtf are you talking about? Maxwell played well for most of the game, and those calls at the end game were fucking bullshit. anyone who watches this game and understands can easily see those calls were bullshit.

the only db who got burned most of this game was Jenkins, surprisingly.

NYHorn36

Please tell me all the #2s that the Cowboys are missing out on. How many teams can function with a backup for more than 3 weeks?

Syrinx

I'm thinking about what the Bucs are gonna need in the draft and all I can think of is "everything" (except QB).

Defensive backs first and foremost though.

Farooq

Banned
Is time to suck off for Goff? Might not even need to tank that much with how his season has been going.

I don't know. For all my shit talk about tanking, I was really hoping they could have pulled off these two wins.

I antcipate Garrett and co playing Romo as long as they are not mathematically eliminated. Who knows where they finish.

Watching more of Cook, think I would rather develop him. But if they pick in the top 10, should they pick a qb? Trading back and stacking talent might pay dividends for Romo's final years. Essentially following the Broncos model but with cheap young talent.

RELAYER

Banned
A top 5 QB makes up for a lot of deficiencies on the team. Romo.

sitecore-mvc-user-grojtjdo.jpg

squicken

Dallas would be running away with the division with Romo. It's a bad break for them and I think at this point they shouldn't rush him back. Season is over

People need to grow balls. If Prince plays there is absolutely a chance. They have been competitive in all their games so far minus one. Sucks losing John Hankins though. Giants DT's are straight ass now.

There's always a chance of course but it has little to do with balls and more to do with the realities of this defense against a top QB. Even with Prince. If the offense comes out and plays the way they are able and if we do get Cruz back, yeah good things can happen but it's a game I expect to lose.

The status of my testicles not withstanding....

RBH

JZeMjcD.jpg

With exactly three minutes remaining, his team trailing the San Francisco 49ers 17-13, Atlanta Falcons head coach Dan Quinn faced what seemed like a tough call. The Falcons faced a fourth-and-goal from the San Francisco 1. With two timeouts, a solid kicker in Matt Bryant and an unproven backup quarterback on the opposing sideline, Quinn leaned on convention -- he had his team kick the field goal.

The alternative, going for the touchdown immediately, would have put the Falcons up by three. It would have been risky and still wouldn’t have guaranteed a win, but it would have been the percentage play. It’s not even close.

Going for it would have given Atlanta a 48.6 percent win probability. A field goal attempt would have given them a 27 percent win probability. The decision cut the Falcons' chance of winning nearly in half. Those estimates account for the relative strength of teams, as the Football Power Index gave the Falcons a 76 percent chance of winning at the outset of the game.

Conversions on the goal line from the 1 are successful about 55 percent of the time, although in this case it happened to be a relatively long one yard. But if we look at things from the other direction, and calculate the chance of success needed for the conversion attempt to be worth the risk, the decision should have been easy. The Falcons would have needed only a 15 percent chance of success for the total win probability for going for it to be at least as high for the nearly-automatic field goal.

Even a failure would have left the 49ers with the ball at their own goal line, an advantage for the Falcons that can be easily overlooked. And if their fourth-down attempt failed, it was likely Atlanta could get the ball back in good field position with enough time remaining to score.

It’s not as hard to score a needed touchdown in desperation as you might think. With all four downs available and a risk-reward equation that makes turnovers no worse than a stop on downs, the consolation prize for failing to score on fourth down at the goal line shouldn’t be forgotten.

In fourth-down situations, the analytics clearly favor more aggressive decisions, and it’s easy to sound like a broken record on the topic. But this case was especially costly for Quinn and the Falcons, as the 49ers never relinquished possession after the field goal.
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/111309/quinns-decision-to-kick-was-a-very-costly-one

I hate football.

RELAYER

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/JZeMjcD.jpg[/img

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/111309/quinns-decision-to-kick-was-a-very-costly-one[/url]

[spoiler]I hate football.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

The 4th down decision wasn't even his worst of the game, since it at least had some logic behind it.

In the haze of that 4th down call, a lot of people are forgetting about the goofy challenge where we lost a crucial timeout.
There is also his habit of calling timeouts when we are on defense, in order to stop the clock in that iffy gray area of 3-4 minutes left, with the expectation that the defense will get the stop. Of course we all know what happens....their offense takes the chance to regroup, plan a play, and easily convert. He did it once this game, and he also did it last week against the Bucs, after which they converted the 3rd and 14. These are the same exact decisions Mike Smith used to make and he got eviscerated for it.

i was pretty shocked they dont go for it there. worst case scenario (as the article states) the falcons probably get the ball back around midfield AT WORST with no timeouts and 2 mins against a not-so-great niners D (i know they played ok today but come on).

gabbo summoned the ghost of mike smith to be resurrected within dan quinn and willed us to victory!

The 4th down decision wasn't even his worst of the game, since it at least had some logic behind it.

In the haze of that 4th down call, a lot of people are forgetting about the goofy challenge where we lost a crucial timeout.
There is also his habit of calling timeouts when we are on defense, in order to stop the clock in that iffy gray area of 3-4 minutes left, with the expectation that the defense will get the stop. Of course we all know what happens....their offense takes the chance to regroup, plan a play, and easily convert. He did it once this game, and he also did it last week against the Bucs, after which they converted the 3rd and 14. These are the same exact decisions Mike Smith used to make and he got eviscerated for it.

this is another good point. both coaches made knucklehead challenges that essentially had no chance to be overturned. in tomsulas challenge, gabbert was clearly down, wasn't even close. in quinns challenge, i mean it was close and ultimately i think he had the first down but the refs NEVER overturn that shit where its pretty close to where they spotted it and you really can't see. on one hand i suppose its worth a challenge but on the other hand i dont think its worth a challenge late in the 4th quarter of a tight game

Bitanator

What is the percentage of teams that made the playoffs at 2-6? 1% or 0%? Dallas is done for, this loss is too much for me.

Top Bottom