• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 9 |OT| - A Fraud Had Some Nice Shoes

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
My guess would be stability? They need to hire the new FO before any new coaches anyway right?

They're a 1-7 team that just fired their president and their GM. Caldwell isn't even standing on a floor right now.

But I guess firing him makes no sense if they don't even have an assistant they want to give a trial audition for.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I actually like the idea of getting a new gm midseason because it allows them to set the direction of the scouting department while cfb is still in play. Unsure as to whether or not they'll find one right now, however.

Farooq

Banned
They're a 1-7 team that just fired their president and their GM. Caldwell isn't even standing on a floor right now.

But I guess firing him makes no sense if they don't even have an assistant they want to give a trial audition for.

You still need to play the games. The logistics of handling that would be a massive undertaking for a interim head coach with no FO.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
awyeahhhh_400x400.gif

:jnc

So flawless!

ampere

I actually like the idea of getting a new gm midseason because it allows them to set the direction of the scouting department while cfb is still in play. Unsure as to whether or not they'll find one right now, however.

It would seem like the smart thing to do is not fire your GM until you have another lined up

Who knows if the Lions ownership thought ahead though

MechDX

Just followed Kave on Twitter.

Make me special?

All these mid season firings are due to the Dolphins. #TrendSetters

Farooq

Banned
"Total wipeout" but the obvious lame duck head coach will provide stability? Ok.

They already fired the OC and offensive line coaches. Are you going to have the assitant coaches run meetings for other positional groups they are not qualified to coach? Have QB coach be your new OC and call the plays? Less moving parts imo and easier to get through the season with Caldwell there.

eznark

Banned
The trailer looked great but I dont get the Metal Gear reference in it. I wonder if someone from Kojimapro works at Bethesda.

What's the metal gear reference?

It looked pretty much like a c/p of Fallout 3. Which is fine. I can't wait to murder massholes.

They already fired the OC and offensive line coaches. Are you going to have the assitant coaches run meetings for other positional groups they are not supposed to coach? Have QB coach be your new OC and call the plays? Less moving parts imo and easier to get through the season with Caldwell there.

That's why Jesus Christ invented assistant position coaches. Seems like a punishment to keep Caldwell. It will delay his ability to find another job when he is inevitably fired. Bush league move.

This is the closest it's ever been to being the end of the line for Stafford. Can't see a guy taking any places (GM, OC, president, or HC next year) who won't like the option of cutting him before next year more than the alternative of keeping him and risking another disaster. Love him or hate him, he's now been part of 2 historically bad teams, both on the Lions. It's hard to say he should get a third chance, just like it's hard to say Megatron shouldn't be freed from this embarrassment

I named one of the cats in Neko Atsume after Kave. His cat has a power level of 0 (aka he will give up any toy he's playing with if another cats tries to play with it) and his personality trait is that he is Faint-Hearted.

They already fired the OC and offensive line coaches. Are you going to have the assitant coaches run meetings for other positional groups they are not qualified to coach? Have QB coach be your new OC and call the plays? Less moving parts imo and easier to get through the season with Caldwell there.

Why not? It's not like they're gonna lose more games.

I'm telling you, they kept him to prove to the fans that they're not intentionally tanking the season.

eznark

Banned
This is the closest it's ever been to being the end of the line for Stafford. Can't see a guy taking any places (GM, OC, president, or HC next year) who won't like the option of cutting him before next year more than the alternative of keeping him and risking another disaster. Love him or hate him, he's now been part of 2 historically bad teams, both on the Lions. It's hard to say he should get a third chance, just like it's hard to say Megatron shouldn't be freed from this embarrassment

$17m cap hit says he stays. Plus, he is a great buffer for the new GM. $11m of that is in 2016. Why not keep him around as the scapegoat for you and your new head coach then trade him before the 2017 season when his cap number plummets.

lol at people still thinking cap matters more than sense

"Oh no, we won't be able to afford to pay the 0 free agents who want to sign with us"

MechDX

According to local sports radio 3 teams have already contacted Paxton Lynch's high school coach. Texans, Bills and Broncos are the 3

#Lust4Lynch

Jim, we need you to make a decision about Stafford

E6IsVt3.png

Jim, this is important, please

E6IsVt3.png

Jim, I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to leave if you don't make a decision right now

E6IsVt3.png

You're fired

E6IsVt3.png

Pack your bags, Caldwell

E6IsVt3.png

Please leave, Jim

E6IsVt3.png

Security

E6IsVt3.png

...Alright, you can stay for now

E6IsVt3.png

eznark

Banned
lol at people still thinking cap matters more than sense

"Oh no, we won't be able to afford to pay the 0 free agents who want to sign with us"

Paying $14m to start Dan Orlovsky makes sense to you?

They lose nothing keeping Stafford next year. They aren't going to be a winning football team.

On the other hand, if he has a decent season he becomes easily trade-able after next season, when he will be only 29.

Pissing away an asset out of spite is not "sense"

Farooq

Banned
Why not? It's not like they're gonna lose more games.

I'm telling you, they kept him to prove to the fans that they're not intentionally tanking the season.

That's why Jesus Christ invented assistant position coaches. Seems like a punishment to keep Caldwell. It will delay his ability to find another job when he is inevitably fired. Bush league move.

Meh, maybe I am wrong. I just think it would be easier for the Lions to still have Caldwell deal with running the team and facing the media. While the Fords deal with replacing the FO.

Top Bottom