• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

Bread

Banned
Why are people believing spin's "sources" again? He probably just overhears people talking through the drive thru window at work.

SonnyBoy

Well they're still paying the rest of Tomsula's contract, which is like 10 million (chump change for them but still). I wonder how badly Tomsula's stock has been damaged (not just as HC but as a position coach as well). For all intents and purposes, he was a really good D-line coach.

If Jim Zorn can find work... This can most certainly can.

Godslay

Banned
I say you just ignore the bullshit Slay.

Oz did a fine job picking up after Manning when he went down, and I think he's still the future of the franchise. What he did with a lack of experience this year was more than what most teams could ask for. I'd love to see what he can do with a full off season of first team reps and a coach to help iron down some of his accuracy issues (the power in his arm and throws is something that goes without saying).

I'm sure the year or so he had sitting under Manning has helped as well. But nothing teaches you like going out on the field and playing.

Them pulling Brock out in the second half was a risk that payed off. Idk wtf encouraged the team to start kick into gear, but Manning continued his legend on the field that day. No one can check to a run like he can!

Thanks for the concern and kind words.

Tabris will rejoin us Bronco fans, and cheer for the Broncos (who Manning and Brock are a part of). I just need him to put down the sword and pledge allegiance to the team who very well could be a part of helping Manning to winning the Super Bowl, no matter who leads that team. That's all I ask, very simple.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...re-johnson-laughed-at-not-starting-for-texans
Andre Johnson 'laughed' at not starting for Texans

The more we learn about wideout Andre Johnson's pending breakup with the Houston Texans, the more it appears the team made an awkward mess of the split.

Johnson told the Houston Chronicle on Monday that coach Bill O'Brien sat him down last week to say that he shouldn't expect to catch more than about 40 passes in 2015.

"I just laughed," said Johnson, the team's all-time leading receiver. "They gave me my role, and I just laughed at them. How do you tell a guy who is used to catching 80 balls a year that he was going to catch 40?"

So how did that work out for you, Andre?

Andre Johnson, WR IND 41 77 503 12.3 4 35 7 31.4 0 154 31

oh.

rando14

FUTURE/FREEBANDZ ‏@1future
This bitch got control problems...
I gotta go through lawyers to see babyfuture...the fuckery for 15k a month
I jus want babyfuture that's all.
FUTURE/FREEBANDZ @1future
Get ready for this classic

OMG Future boutta roast Russ in his next mixtape, PLS I am not emotionally strong enough for this disrespect to my QB!! *fades away

Well they're still paying the rest of Tomsula's contract, which is like 10 million (chump change for them but still). I wonder how badly Tomsula's stock has been damaged (not just as HC but as a position coach as well). For all intents and purposes, he was a really good D-line coach.

Rod Marinelli went 0-16 for the Lions but was picked up elsewhere as a D-line coach. The guy gets a ton of cred for his defensive coaching. I imagine Tomsula can get another D-line job. Of course, if he's really getting $10M from Jed, he might take some time off, finish working on whatever cars he has that need oil changes, etc.

Why Lurie decided he'd had it with Chip Kelly's act:

Chip Kelly didn't try to change anyone's mind or argue for his job when he was called into the meeting Tuesday afternoon with Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie and team president Don Smolenski.

"The atmosphere was such I think he knew he was being let go," Lurie told a large media assemblage on Wednesday.

The owner didn't bother saying the coach had been "released," the euphemism dreamed up by the organization to make Kelly's departure seem more like a smooth transition and less like the acid wart removal that it actually was.

Kelly was fired, plain and simple, and booted out of the building shortly after nightfall without the opportunity to address his players one last time, or to at least pass them silently in the hallway just for old time's sake. He knew what was coming, according to Lurie, which is a pretty good trick for someone who had never been fired before. Not many football coaches get to 52 without being fired, but Kelly, as we know pretty well by now, is not just any football coach.

Lurie had his fill of him, though, and he described Tuesday's firing as the culmination of a "three-year evaluation," although it is one that took a dramatic turn since September, when Lurie said Kelly had nothing to prove as either a coach or an assembler of talent. The turn had a lot to do with the team's 6-9 record, of course, but the timing of the decision makes it clear there was more to it as well.

The owner said he acted when he did in order to get a head start on the coaching search, to give Kelly the same jump into the marketplace, and in order to schedule sit-downs with the players this week before they scatter into the offseason.

"I already knew what we were going to do," Lurie said, explaining why he didn't wait until after the final game.

That's fine, but then why didn't he do it last Sunday, first thing in the morning after the team was eliminated by the Redskins, and get two more days of those benefits? Why would he let Kelly take the podium Monday as the representative of the organization?

It's just a guess, but when Kelly shrugged his way through another interview session and topped it off by saying he wasn't the general manager, that tore things for the owner. One day later, Kelly was gone.

"I wanted to make Chip accountable for everything he wanted to have happen," Lurie said, recounting why he gave Kelly full control of the roster. "One way was to have him make those decisions because that was what he insisted on decisively doing. So, if you want to make those decisions, be accountable for them."

Which is exactly the opposite of what Kelly did on Monday with his semantic games about not being the one who scheduled the scouts or negotiated the contracts. The owner gave him the roster and expected him to either succeed or own up to his failures. Kelly did neither, and the fact that Lurie's action so quickly followed a galling denial of responsibility could be coincidental, but I don't think so.

The next coach might be many different things, according to Lurie. He could be another college coach, or an NFL coach with head coaching experience, or maybe an up-and-coming coordinator or position coach. He could specialize in either offense or defense, might be young, or he might be more veteran. The field is open. One thing the next guy is going to do, however, and you can bet every dollar on it, is he's going to say hello to people in the hallway. Kelly failed as a coach, but he might still have his job if he cared a little more about the interpersonal side of things.

"We're looking for someone who interacts very well and communicates clearly with everybody he works with and comes in touch with," Lurie said. "You've [also] got to open your heart to players and everybody you want to achieve peak performance. I would call it a style of leadership that values information from all the resources provided, but at the same time values emotional intelligence."

It's fair to say that Kelly didn't lead the league in opening his heart. Maybe that's a quality that, all by itself, won't get you hired, but, combined with a 6-9 record, the lack of it can help get you fired.

"The original hiring of Chip was a bold choice," Lurie said. "We knew what the potential pitfalls were . . . there's a risk involved in allowing Chip to have that kind of say over player transactions. However, it's risk/reward. Sometimes the risks don't work, and in this case, it didn't work."

It didn't work in spectacular fashion, and rebuilding this team isn't going to be accomplished quickly. Lurie knows that, but he grew tired of waiting for Kelly to show the improvement that was promised. He grew tired of the losing and the embarrassment. One other thing, for sure: He grew tired of the act.

LOL at him being pissed that Chip wouldnt say hi to him in the hallways.

bionic77

/shakes head in disgust at the disrespect shown to Star Wars

Most of you are disgusting. Not just to me judging by the posts about Star Wars, but likely even by your immediate family. Not even a mother could love some of you knuckleheads.

I believed that TFA was great enough to perhaps to instill some common sense, family values and wisdom into your empty ass heads and change things, but alas even something as great as Star Wars has its limits.

May Tebow have mercy on your soul and may he forever curse you and your pathetic franchises.

Jed York's press conference just ended on this:

"We need someone who can win a Super Bowl."

"Didn't you have that guy?"

"......................we haven't won a Super Bowl since 1994."

I just want everyone to appreciate this, it's rare someone so dumb isn't on the Browns or Lions

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
/shakes head in disgust at the disrespect shown to Star Wars

Most of you are disgusting. Not just to me judging by the posts about Star Wars, but likely even by your immediate family. Not even a mother could love some of you knuckleheads.

I believed that TFA was great enough to perhaps to instill some common sense, family values and wisdom into your empty ass heads and change things, but alas even something as great as Star Wars has its limits.

May Tebow have mercy on your soul and may he forever curse you and your pathetic franchises.
are you high? TFA was A New Hope re-made, essentially..

SonnyBoy

Rod Marinelli went 0-16 for the Lions but was picked up elsewhere as a D-line coach. The guy gets a ton of cred for his defensive coaching. I imagine Tomsula can get another D-line job. Of course, if he's really getting $10M from Jed, he might take some time off, finish working on whatever cars he has that need oil changes, etc.

You just reminded me, Joe Barry was the DC of that Lions team. He's now with Washington and has a decently ranked squad... The legit talent evaluators and decision makers understand the circumstances surrounding an individual.

Revolver

Finally Webster gone, interviewing Mularkey

I'm so happy Ruston's gone. They don't need to interview Mularkey. He's been interviewing for the last two months. They should know by now whether or not they want to keep him. Nice guy in a tough situation but a .316 career winning percentage. It would probably be such a Titan thing to do to keep him though.

Spinluck

Thank you based Bort

Texans away schedule next year is fucking brutal.
EDIT: also makes that game in mexico a Raiders home game! WOOHOO!

Holy shit lol.

To think that could've been us, thank you for your sacrifice friend. Let us enjoy the 4-year contact Pagano will sign today.

Spinfuck pls, everyone knows I'm technically advanced in the art of football.

Oddly Amari Cooper is strangely similar to Marvin Harrison, not physically imposing but can run routes. He also isn't a thug like Marvin, but he doesn't have hands like Marvin.

I think Marvin was the best route runner ever. I think Rice had better hands (even though Harrison did it without stickum) and was still a top tier route runner, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like Manning and Harrison. Manning would just throw balls his way and he'd just finish his break or just get to the top of his route while knowing where the ball was going to be. It was ridiculous synergy between two guys who probably spent a shit ton of hours forming that bond. It was unguardable at times because of the ridiculous timing (except in the playoffs where teams found a way to shut it down having two safeties deep). Marvin's greatness was in his route running, now that the league is cupcake, it's a skill that seems to matter less and less every year.

Also, fuck you.

You know i'll be drinking regardless

lol

Jed York's press conference just ended on this:

"We need someone who can win a Super Bowl."

"Didn't you have that guy?"

"......................we haven't won a Super Bowl since 1994."

I just want everyone to appreciate this, it's rare someone so dumb isn't on the Browns or Lions

Lord have mercy on that team.

I need a new offseason Eli. This one seems apt from today's media meeting.

eli2.jpg

m5vBB5l.png

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Can someone explain why head to head is not a tie breaker for draft order? Lions and Eagles are both 7-9 but the Lions pick ahead of the Eagles due to a weaker strength of schedule even though they beat the Eagles head to head. That seems like a flaw in the system to me.

I think the idea is to take away any possible motivation to lose to a particular team on purpose for draft order.

Head to head, record against like opponents are not used at all, even when there are only two teams tied. Just schedule strength and conf record i think. Then it goes to coin toss.

Spinluck

Why are people believing spin's "sources" again? He probably just overhears people talking through the drive thru window at work.

Are you jealous that Spincenter has kicked off and Breadstream is struggling to kick off on America Online internet speeds, and cannot find any sponsors outside of Gata or any other easy cheap sellout?

It's ok friend, when it's not so busy over here I'll try to look for an open position for you. But first we'll have to do something about you still playing Xbone in 2016 lol, plebe.

Godslay

Banned
Tabris, join me in pledging allegiance to OUR Denver Broncos, it's easy, just look at these guys. They both are doing what's best for Denver, I think we need to do the same.

osweiler_manning_CP_151223.jpg

bionic77

are you high? TFA was A New Hope re-made, essentially..
It was perfection. You are a fool and probably a Texans fan if you think that Star Wars became the biggest movie franchise of all time because of its clever screenplay. 99% of complaints about TFA are basically "but this is fucking star wars and I wanted something else that is factually inferior because I suck!". If you didn't cry tears of unadulterated joy when *spoiler time*
Rey picks up lightsaber
then you have failed my personal test for whether or not you are a decent human being.

Don't listen to the negative nancy's on GAF who will shit on any movie other then the ones that actually suck balls like Speed Racer and the first Captain America movie.

Top Bottom