• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Colts players really rallying behind Pagano, Frank Gore talked about knowing him since HS.

Like Chuck as a guy, but I just can't back the team here, they didn't play like they wanted him to stay all season (they showed some signs of will throughout the season). Or maybe they were trying to fuck Grigson but didn't know Chuck would be taking the fall.

He's not the worst coach we've ever had, but it's plain to see he can't stick with big dogs of the NFL. Really sucks that Luck just happened to suck a lot of the year, and that he got absolutely destroyed by this O-line. But they should've known that was going to catch up to them eventually.

thats on the GM for not drafting Oline help. I think Pagano did a pretty good job, honestly. 8-8 with 6 different QBs? The oline is so bad it got Luck beatup, it got Hasslebeck beat up. Whats the GM doing drafting a WR in the first round with that oline?

effzee

What if the league instituted a rule where a new coaching hire had to be retained at least 3 seasons? Or maybe firing a coach earlier than that would have cap consequences. Granted, a guy like Tomsula was obviously out of his depth, but would he have even been hired if you knew you couldn't scapegoat him after one season? Seems like it could improve the overall quality of play.

I like this idea. Make it 5 and make these owners and GMs make it work.

effzee

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6m6 minutes ago
#Eagles have Tom Donahoe running personnel dept. for now. Source says they'll hire a personnel chief to run day-to-day operations soon.

I wonder who it will be.

They top guys available of course. I also don't get why they won't just name Howie GM already.

Some theory that they are keeping Donahoe around until a coach is hired because he far mode liked and respected than Howie and would serve as a buffer of sorts so candidates aren't turned off by Howie.

Man I so wish Jets had lured Howie away last offseason. Apparently he was a finalist for that opening.

effzee

@UTgehlken
Eric Weddle said he probably won't get reason why past couple weeks went as they did "because I probably won't ever speak to them [Chargers] again."

He'd look amazing as an Eagle.

Him and Jenkins as beard brothers. Move Thurmond the corner.

They top guys available of course. I also don't get why they won't just name Howie GM already.

Some theory that they are keeping Donahoe around until a coach is hired because he far mode liked and respected than Howie and would serve as a buffer of sorts so candidates aren't turned off by Howie.

Man I so wish Jets had lured Howie away last offseason. Apparently he was a finalist for that opening.

Howie leaving would have been the best thing to ever happen to the Eagles fanchise. They are doing the current setup so that none of the blame can be directed towards a specific person. People say, "why did the Eagles reach for Marcus Smith, what a terrible pick", and Howie shrugs wasnt me, and Donahoe says wasnt me either. No one is at the top, so no one has to take the blame when things dont work.

effzee

Doug Marrone is going to interview for the Eagles job. WTF? I wouldnt let that guy anywhere near my team.

Also talk on wip that Griggson is going to be the guy to teach Howie how to be a GM once the Colts dump him. Maybe I should just buy a gun and off myself.

Worst nightmare. Grigson also had the owners ear and his only good draft pick was Luck who any onew doofus could have done right.

Marone quit on the Bills how is he even in consideration?

captive

What if the league instituted a rule where a new coaching hire had to be retained at least 3 seasons? Or maybe firing a coach earlier than that would have cap consequences. Granted, a guy like Tomsula was obviously out of his depth, but would he have even been hired if you knew you couldn't scapegoat him after one season? Seems like it could improve the overall quality of play.

there is definitely something to be said for having some patience. I feel like with the 24hr coverage, sometimes the only thing the media can do is bitch about negatives all the time and it just creates more and more pressure to win. IMO it takes longer than just one season to develop your team. A lot of times a new coach and GM come in and they are stuck with contracts and salary cap issues and you have to cut players just to clear their salary before you can begin to bring in FA's.

Zach Berman ‏@ZBerm 11m11 minutes ago
Connor Barwin: "I feel bad for Billy [Davis] because our numbers are so skewed. We played three more games than Seattle."

How players really feel about the Chipster coming out

2 year deal max and he could turn the team into contenders, actually coach tannehill and set them up really nice for the next coach to step in. Right now they are a mess and a joke of an organization.
I think Coughlin's best days are behind him. If you want the experienced guy Shanahan is a much better option, in my opinion.

Connor Barwin: "I feel bad for Billy [Davis] because our numbers are so skewed. We played three more games than Seattle."

By that logic then the defensive numbers should have been great at the beginning of the year and gone down as time whent by due to the players being tired.

I think Coughlin's best days are behind him. If you want the experienced guy Shanahan is a much better option, in my opinion.

And Shanahan's aren't? What the Dolphins need (from an outsider perspective) is discipline and leadership. I know Shanahan has two OWLs as well but the younger players were in elementary school when he was relevant.

What high profile coach wants to walk into an underachieving, out of control locker room? I think you could squeeze a couple good years out of Coughlin.

Hindl

I like Chip a lot and I think he'll eventually succeed in the NFL if he gets to the right spot. However, with all of these stories coming out about the way the players felt about him, it was the right decision to move on. Problem is now Howie is in another nebulous position of power, where if the team he can take credit, but if the new coach can't rebuild the team, he can offset blame to that guy

157465139-football-view-of-cleveland-browns-fan-in-gettyimages.jpg

Captain Cleveman!

Captain Cleveman.

Captain Cleveman?

Captain... Cleveman...

Cleve... man?

Wait a minute!

C L E V E M A N

K A V E _ M A N

Take off that mask!

6U4OSfq.jpg

By that logic then the defensive numbers should have been great at the beginning of the year and gone down as time whent by due to the players being tired.

From literally the same article:

"Half the time we're on the field, it's our own damn fault," Barwin said last week. "You look at the [Washington] game, we had third-and-15, third-and-10, third-and-12. We're adding two minutes to each drive because of our own problems. It's easy to point to the offense because they run that tempo, but when you dig into it, it's as much our fault."

http://espn.go.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/15304/truth-can-be-told-chip-kellys-offense-skews-eagles-defense

squicken

e; good for Barwin owning up to it!

The Texans ran the most plays in the NFL, but their defense faced the 5th fewest. b/c they got off the field. The Eagles defense gets a pass from people who didn't watch them play. Even when they were doing well they still couldn't get off the field; they lived off turnovers

Cleveland is such a dumpster fire, they are going to be stuck hiring Raheem Morris who will bring in Freeman and then only the local Taco Bells will be happy in the factory of sadness.

captive

I'd take Couhglin over Shanahan any day of the week. The last time he won the superbowl was 17 years ago. And that was with a hall of fame QB, a hall of fame RB(he should be) and a great offensive coordinator (Kubes)

From literally the same article:

"Half the time we're on the field, it's our own damn fault," Barwin said last week. "You look at the [Washington] game, we had third-and-15, third-and-10, third-and-12. We're adding two minutes to each drive because of our own problems. It's easy to point to the offense because they run that tempo, but when you dig into it, it's as much our fault."

http://espn.go.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/15304/truth-can-be-told-chip-kellys-offense-skews-eagles-defense

I was just responding to grover saying that the players were blaming Chip for the defense doing poorly this year. Chip's offense is not to blame at all for the defense struggling. Like squicken said they were bad on thrid down all year. When they forced turnovers it masked those problems, but when they didnt they got killed. Chip could have huddled every down and they still would have struggled.

Hindl

That's what happened. Our Defense kept us in multiple games this year when our offense couldn't get a 1st down to save their life, right up until November. Don't forget that in the beginning of the year we had a top defense. Billy D certainly played poorly, but our Defense was good. If we could get a real coordinator then the rebuild will be a lot better

I was just responding to grover saying that the players were blaming Chip for the defense doing poorly this year. Chip's offense is not to blame at all for the defense struggling. Like squicken said they were bad on thrid down all year. When they forced turnovers it masked those problems, but when they didnt they got killed. Chip could have huddled every down and they still would have struggled.

I got you. I was saying you were right, in that just last week Barwin was saying it was the defense's own fault.

captive

Tom Coughlin was born in NINETEEN FORTY-SIX.
ok?

You know what players respect? Winning, dude has 2 superbowls as a head coach and how many more as a coordinator?

You need good coaching, a good QB and a good defense, and a plan to get those things to win the superbowl, along with some luck. Age is just a number.

That's what happened. Our Defense kept us in multiple games this year when our offense couldn't get a 1st down to save their life, right up until November. Don't forget that in the beginning of the year we had a top defense

Defense gave up 26 points and like a million yards to the Falcons week one

Defense lets Brandon fucking Weedon drive down the field to put the game away week 2

Defense blows a lead and allows a 90 yards drive at the end of the game week 4 against the Redskins

Defense gives up 200 yards rushing to the Panthers in a loss week 7\

The offense didnt bail the defense out early on, but the defense didnt pull their own weight either.

Top Bottom