• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

2008: Steelers win 31-0, Browns QB is Bruce Gradkowski (Dorsey, Anderson, and Quinn all IR'd). 11th straight loss to Pittsburgh. 6th straight game offense doesn't get a TD (NFL record 24 quarters). HC Crennel and GM Savage fired

2010: Steelers win 41-9, Browns QB is Colt McCoy (drafted that year). Worst deficit they lost by in the year. HC Mangini fired

2012: Steelers win 24-10, Browns QB is Thad Lewis (only start of the year). 1-7 away record. HC Shurmur and GM Heckert fired

2013: Steelers win 20-7, Browns QB is Jason Campbell (Hoyer IR'd). HC Chud fired and GM Lombardi fired

2015: Steelers win 28-12, Browns QB is Austin Davis (McCown and Shaw IR'd, Manziel drunk and concussed). Tied for worst record in the league. HC Pettine and GM Farmer fired

Predictions for what happens in 2017? I'm thinking prosperity with a Steelers win by only 10 points this time, with the HC fired

ok?

You know what players respect? Winning, dude has 2 superbowls as a head coach and how many more as a coordinator?

You need good coaching, a good QB and a good defense, and a plan to get those things to win the superbowl, along with some luck. Age is just a number.
Okay Mr. "Voice of the Dolphins Locker Room."

If age is just a number let's bring in Don Shula, the only coach to ever lead a team to a perfect season! He's only 16 years older than Coughlin and age is just a number anyway.

Coughlin doesn't excite me at all, especially after the past few years in NY. Granted a lot of that wasn't his fault but the Dolphins roster isn't exactly in great shape. I want a guy they can build around for years to come, ideally.

Not even that old tbh
He's 5 years older than the second oldest HC and he's not getting any younger...

You guys are nuts.

harSon

Banned
2008: Steelers win 31-0, Browns QB is Bruce Gradkowski (Dorsey, Anderson, and Quinn all IR'd). 11th straight loss to Pittsburgh. 6th straight game offense doesn't get a TD (NFL record 24 quarters). HC Crennel and GM Savage fired

2010: Steelers win 41-9, Browns QB is Colt McCoy (drafted that year). Worst deficit they lost by in the year. HC Mangini fired

2012: Steelers win 24-10, Browns QB is Thad Lewis (only start of the year). 1-7 away record. HC Shurmur and GM Heckert fired

2013: Steelers win 20-7, Browns QB is Jason Campbell (Hoyer IR'd). HC Chud fired and GM Lombardi fired

2015: Steelers win 28-12, Browns QB is Austin Davis (McCown and Shaw IR'd, Manziel drunk and concussed). Tied for worst record in the league. HC Pettine and GM Farmer fired

Predictions for what happens in 2017? I'm thinking prosperity with a Steelers win by only 10 points this time, with the HC fired

Goff is benched for under performing

If age is just a number let's bring in Don Shula, the only coach to ever lead a team to a perfect season! He's only 16 years older than Coughlin and age is just a number anyway.

Coughlin doesn't excite me at all, especially after the past few years in NY. Granted a lot of that wasn't his fault but the Dolphins roster isn't exactly in great shape. I want a guy they can build around for years to come, ideally.

He's 5 years older than the second oldest HC and he's not getting any younger...

You guys are nuts.

I really dont want to put TC down, but his teams have 1 playoff appearance in the last 7 years, and that is with a QB who is unquestionably elite. The Giants also play in a division that has been kind of a joke for a lot of those years.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

You guys are nuts.
you said you wanted Shanahan over Coughlin. I think you are nuts. I was just saying i would take coughlin over shanahan.

Tom Coughlin was born in NINETEEN FORTY-SIX.
He won a Super Bowl in TWO THOUSAND AND ELEVEN.

Coughlin vs. Bill twice a year? Yeah, I'd be down for that.

I can understand wanting to go young and that being the reason to not look at Coughlin. Outside of that, you and I are usually on the same page but Shanahan over Coughlin? Bro, what? That's a joke right?

ok?

You know what players respect? Winning, dude has 2 superbowls as a head coach and how many more as a coordinator?

You need good coaching, a good QB and a good defense, and a plan to get those things to win the superbowl, along with some luck. Age is just a number.

Coaches can lose it just the same way players can. I don't buy into the idea that being old or having previous success on your resume automatically brings with it future success and stability. I lived through Joe Gibbs 2.0 and Mike Shanahan fucking shit up.

Will we be drafting well in this scenario? Or will be drafting at Farmer level again...

I think the issue with Tom is that if he'll come here in Miami and see it's not working after a year or two and just bail like Jimmy did. Starting over from scratch can take a toll on a coach and Tom might be too old to start again. The Dolphins don't really have a solid foundation. They need a whole new defense and they need to fix the Oline, they won't fix that in a year, maybe if they get luck with draft picks/FA in two years but I doubt it. If we had the defense we did 5 years ago with the current offense then I could see it work.

I think the issue with Tom is that if he'll come here in Miami and see it's not working after a year or two and just bail like Jimmy did. Starting over from scratch can take a toll on a coach and Tom might be too old to start again. The Dolphins don't really have a solid foundation. They need a whole new defense and they need to fix the Oline, they won't fix that in a year, maybe if they get luck with draft picks/FA in two years but I doubt it. If we had the defense we did 5 years ago with the current offense then I could see it work.

I think the structural issues of the Dolphin organization would be more preventative of Coughlin coming in outside of the personnel problems. A 70 year old coach with his success isn't going to come into an organization that has no idea what the word stability means. Why walk into that?

squicken

A good way for CLE to run into trouble with Goff is drafting him at 2 over some really good players in this draft. I've seen some solid stuff from him, but I can't think of a top 5 QB that I needed to be talked into during the draft process

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Did you see the Cardinals coaching staff?

Age is not an issue. Coaching in the NFL is hard and it's even harder to get all the right pieces which is why some of those old successful coaches never pan out again.

If I'm remembering right, Pete Carroll is shockingly old.

Did you see the Cardinals coaching staff?

Age is not an issue. Coaching in the NFL is hard and it's even harder to get all the right pieces which is why some of those old successful coaches never pan out again.

If I'm remembering right, Pete Carroll is shockingly old

Second oldest only to Coughlin, yes.

I think the structural issues of the Dolphin organization would be more preventative of Coughlin coming in outside of the personnel problems. A 70 year old coach with his success isn't going to come into an organization that has no idea what the word stability means. Why walk into that?

Yup another reason against the Dolphins and not just from Coughlin but any big name head coach. According to Miami media the Dolphins aim to fix that issue this off season but much like anything Miami tries, it'll end up in failure.

A good way for CLE to run into trouble with Goff is drafting him at 2 over some really good players in this draft. I've seen some solid stuff from him, but I can't think of a top 5 QB that I needed to be talked into during the draft process
We'll probably trade down like we always do and grab a punter or something or Cardale Jones..

I love Coughlin, but he's crazy if anyone will give him a head coaching gig at his age. He'll probably get a special advisor position, at best.

Thought 2nd interview usually means there is an agreement and the 2nd one is to discuss contract?

No, Adam Gase got a 2nd interview with the 9ers last year. Supposedly they were going to offer him the job but got scared off due to him acting cocky during the 2nd interview.

The Giants under Coughlin have lost a fair amount of games they should have won. I don't mean simply underperforming against inferior opponents either as every team does that. I'm talking honest to goodness up 3 Touchdowns in the 4th quarter and lose chokejobs. It seemed liked it happened at least once a season.

Thought 2nd interview usually means there is an agreement and the 2nd one is to discuss contract?

No, sometimes it's just to expand on ideas from first, discuses coordinators and structure. Dolphins had a few 2nd interviews lined up when they got Phiblin.

I'm prolly one of the few guys here that doesn't hate Shanahan. I think he'll do well in Miami. However, I'm glad he's gone because we wouldn't have our GM if he was here.

I think his offense could work with Tannehill and our WRs/RB. I wouldn't be against it we just need a strong DC.

Howard Eskin ‏@howardeskin 4h4 hours ago
I'm hearing preliminary talks with #Eagles and Fletcher Cox (no surprise) and Vinny Curry. Good chance could play 4-3 D.Line next season

sounds like the "brain" trust has decided what defense the team will run next year, before even hiring a HC or DC.

Is Miami interviewing anyone else or are they one and done? And is the new GM doing the hiring or is Ross doing it?

Seems... like a very Dolphins thing to do...

slabrock

Banned
Lions interviewing Patriots director of pro scouting Bob Quin and Seahawks co-director of player personnel Trent Kirchner for their GM position.

Aditi Kinkhabwala – Verified account ‏@AKinkhabwala
Told the Cleveland beat reporters they're a cynical bunch. Unsurprisingly, I was laughed at.

Bread

Banned
No offseason thread until the super bowl thread goes up. Then we stay in our fort and the casuals can fight it out and call players thugs in OT.

Top Bottom