• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

KingBroly

Banned
It's so hard to have any basis for these predictions.

With the 49ers, you've heard talk of a lot of big names wanting the job. Holmgren, Shanahan, Kelly. They're not a well run organization right now, and will probably look for a big name as a legacy piece to help build some kind of hope for the upcoming season that ultimately doesn't work out.

With the Dolphins, you're looking for an offensive-minded head coach to help iron out Tanehill.

MechDX

Joel ShermanVerified account
‏@Joelsherman1
I have learned Paul DePodesta leaving #Mets to run the NFL Cleveland Browns as executive VP, answerable only to team owner/pres.

Wait,......the Browns are hiring a baseball guy to run their operation?

KingBroly

Banned
This quote in particular:

"When you lose 8 games by a total of 26 points, you're pretty close no matter what you think of the personnel"

If he truly believes that, color me dumbfounded.

I've seen that in practice before.

It led to a 2-14 season and a 4-12 season.

With the 49ers, you've heard talk of a lot of big names wanting the job. Holmgren, Shanahan, Kelly. They're not a well run organization right now, and will probably look for a big name as a legacy piece to help build some kind of hope for the upcoming season that ultimately doesn't work out.

With the Dolphins, you're looking for an offensive-minded head coach to help iron out Tanehill.
The Dolphins seem to be casting a very wide net. They are interviewing coaches of all types and with varying backgrounds. Hell, they're interviewing Shanahan today. I don't know what to expect other than eventual failure.

Draxal

This quote in particular:

"When you lose 8 games by a total of 26 points, you're pretty close no matter what you think of the personnel"

If he truly believes that, color me dumbfounded.

Yeah, I'll be real and I think this knocks down the Giants job opening a couple of notches ... Reese's butchered this.

MechDX

6841.jpg

Yeah, I'll be real and I think this knocks down the Giants job opening a couple of notches ... Reese's butchered this.

Giants will always be the most attrative opening. It's NY, and the owner there is the most respected owner in the NFL. I just wonder if a big name coach like Cowher comes in would they give him some control over the roster.

I'd be more concerned if I didn't already think Mara has him on a short leash at this point. "It's on him" is something Mara kept repeating about Reese so I don't think he has much wiggle room left.

I'm honestly curious to see what changes are made on the scouting/front office side. Both Mara and Reese stated evaluations are being made there.

How did that contingency plan go?

And didn't they have more defensive injuries that no one else heard about because the focus was on JPP?

Their contigency plan was YOLO and let a roster spot rot.

I honestly don't remember who they had listed injured at that time of JPP's incident other than Will Beatty and maybe Hankins.

CX-CrKwWcAAKdN9.jpg

Draxal

I'd be more concerned if I didn't already think Mara has him on a short leash at this point. "It's on him" is something Mara kept repeating about Reese so I don't think he has much wiggle room left.

I'm honestly curious to see what changes are made on the scouting/front office side. Both Mara and Reese stated evaluations are being made there.

Well that's the thing, what coach wants to coach under a GM's that's clearly on a short leash.

This will all turn out amazingly unbelievablely great or it'll take us down a new road of shame and laughter to sports fans.

*works on get away space ship

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I like the DePodesta hiring. Dude is a really smart guy who had a good run with LA before getting run out of town by local writers. It's an unconventional hire but you're the Browns - why the fuck not?

eznark

Banned
DePodesta is sort of an inspired choice as long as he is in a sort of Mark Murphy role and brings in a strong player personnel guy.

rando14

DePodesta is sort of an inspired choice as long as he is in a sort of Mark Murphy role and brings in a strong player personnel guy.

Looks like they're going in heavy on analytics. Harder to do in football than baseball, but if it works, good for them.

Spinluck

I wanted Pagano fired so hard this past season, but then he did an actually nice job and while there's been some bumps along the way I eventually realized the coordinators are the worst offenders. Pep sucked ass and if Manusky survives this he absolutely must have weird pics of Irsay. Pagano is not spetacular, but he is solid and the players love him. I mean, a Gary Kubiak coached team is the #1 seed in the AFC, so the bar is not set all that high.

Nice to see Irsay take Pagano and Grigson to a ayahuasca trip so they can hug it out. Grigson is a very very solid talent evaluator, I just hope he stops being an asshole interfering with the HC. I'm going to be happier when they fire Manusky and heck Tom McMahon as well for that punt return against Denver and that imbecilic play against NE.

Manusky is absolute trash, fucking shit bitch D coordinator.

Here is the Manusky gameplan/playbook on a game to game and situational basis.

-let's run zone when our DBs are better at press man

-hey DQ, you're dropping into coverage even though you're terrible at coverage and we're going to put our best cover LB Freeman in the box...

-Greg Tohler goes down? No problem, we'll just put Darius Fucking Butler on the outside so #1 and 2s can feast on him

-"oh hey Chuck, one of the opposing team's starting linemen went down, let's not exploit that to our advantage"

-run the same fucking "we lack a pass rush" stunt blitz every week, I'm sure no teams will figure out how to protect against it!

-maybe dropping our DEs into coverage will fool the offense!

-we only run a safety blitz every 2-3 games because they worked 2-3 games ago...

-oh hey, they keep beating us on this same route, if only we could adjust to beat it. Nah, time for zone.

Now, he doesn't have a lot of pieces to work with but good lord is he garbage at scheming. Pats, Steelers literally shit on us with the same gameplan every time we play them and it never looks like we've prepared. Pats didn't run much on us this year but that's due to the much improved run D. The Jags absolutely embarrassed us late in the season, that one showed me all I needed to see.

Pep was crap, but he's gone now and I've covered that enough in the passed. Fans have brought up the possibility of Chud luring in Alex Mack from the Browns since Mack might opt out and has expressed interest in the Colts before. This would fit our tradition of picking up Browns cast offs, and Lock would have a damn good Center who knows Chud's style.

Apparently Pagano might have more control now over personnel and staff. I cannot believe that Pep Hamilton never had to answer to Pagano, and answered to Grigs instead. What a disaster of a situation. Pagano was pretty handcuffed this season with the Grigson drama and Luck dying, but still did a fair job with this depleted crap roster Grigson left him with. Irsay said no such thing was happening but it's Irsay, we'll just have to see. He also said the team has to get younger so we'll see what Grigs does on that front.

I wonder if the GM being in hot water would make it more attractive? If things go well thats great for the coach, and if things go bad then blame the GM and hopefully get more power when he is fired.

LJ11

DePo wouldn't move to NYC, wonder if he's actually going to pick up and move. Good luck to him. Before he took the Mets job he was really on board with working with people he knew and worked with in the past, familiarity breads results. Complete 180 for him.

A lot because an NFL job is coveted, but you want to be the gm's guy.

You know damn well that ownership will have a heavy, heavy hand in selecting the next HC of the Giants and said person won't just be "the GM's guy". They'll want someone who will work well with Reese as Coughlin did but this isn't Jerry Reese's decision alone to make. Mara all but outlined that process in his presser.

kmag

From what I understand, the GM at the Giants makes the money picks in the draft but the rest of it pretty much goes by the board which is Chris Mara/Marc Ross's responsibility. With the GM and Coach making decisions about which position they should select in the absence of an player who they rate highly who has obviously slipped.

The only thing that might save Ross is that despite the talent vacuum, the drafts have improved the last couple of years, and it's problematic to get rid of the director of college scouting at this point in the scouting cycle. Scouting changes often lag 6 months after Black Monday as the scouting is largely done and it's just collation, sorting and evaluation at this point. Ross might be effectively sidelined while remaining in the role until after the draft.

Reese might be a poor GM, but he was a pretty good scout, the quality of Giants drafting went through the roof when he took over as Director of College Scouting (2003-2007) compared to Accorsi's prior drafts.

Where Reese has been shown up is in free agency, but that's largely a delegated responsibility as well. Again the quality has dropped a bit since Gettleman left, but until this year they've been up against the cap somewhat.

Ultimately a GM is typically as good as the front office team he puts together. Reese has put together a poor team and should carry the can for that.

Draxal

You know damn well that ownership will have a heavy, heavy hand in selecting the next HC of the Giants and said person won't just be "the GM's guy". They'll want someone who will work well with Reese as Coughlin did but this isn't Jerry Reese's decision alone to make. Mara all but outlined that process in his presser.

You're right there, ... I'm just not happy with how this press conference was handled. Created more questions than answered them.

squicken

Looks like they're going in heavy on analytics. Harder to do in football than baseball, but if it works, good for them.

Yeah unless they have some hidden tool about psychoanalysis I don't see how much it helps. The hardest thing to project in football is whether a guy will still try/care if you give him money

I'm not going to bean the Browns for making a move out of left field.

They have a history of striking out when they swing for the fences.

Sometimes a different approach at the plate is all it takes.

Neonsands

Neo Member
I don't know how many people care. But Andy is looking more and more like he's going to play on Sunday.

Peter King and Pete Prisco both say that he's assured them he is going to play. Marvin Lewis said "we’re going to at least in the early part of the week be preparing with AJ.”

We have confirmation he has the cast off already. Throughout this whole process he has been training with Tom House.

WHOOOO. GET HYPE.

Draxal

Yeah unless they have some hidden tool about psychoanalysis I don't see how much it helps. The hardest thing to project in football is whether a guy will still try/care if you give him money

Sample size is just too small, injuries matter too much in the nfl muddying that sample size even further, and the variations in playing styles just makes this analysis garbage in football.

MechDX

https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...ushers-should-rule-the-chiefs-texans-matchup/

3. Travis Kelce vs. Texans coverage
In Week 1, a big reason the Chiefs put up the 26 points they did was an excellent start of the season by Travis Kelce. He caught all six passes thrown his way for 106 yards and two touchdowns. It ended up being his only 100 yard game of the season, and he only had three touchdowns over his next 15 games.

In recent weeks, Kelce has not been as productive in this offense. Over the first seven weeks of the season, his 489 receiving yards was third most for tight ends, and his 2.05 yards per route run was seventh best. From Week 8 on, his 386 receiving yards was just 13th most, and his 1.60 yards per route run have been 15th best.

Since that first game, rookie linebacker Benardrick McKinney has taken over one of the inside linebacker roles. His pass stop percentage of 6.6 percent is second best among linebackers just behind Wesley Woodyard and just ahead of Luke Kuechly. Safety Rahim Moore who allowed over half of the Week 1 yards to Kelce has also been benched since that game in favor of Andre Hal. Hal has four interceptions and four passes defended which are both among the top ten for safeties.

All signs point to the Texans being able to stop Travis Kelce this time around, which means the Chiefs will need to find a new way to put up points on the Texans in order to win.

Bolded: Mike Vrabel has really done one hell of a job with these linebackers. Mercilus has hit double digit sacks, both him and Clowney are top 10 OLB vs the run and Cushing has rejuvenated his career.

LJ11

If you see how the Mets were/are put together, its more about swindling teams into bad trades than using metrics to unearth some hidden talent.

kmag

Reese will be involved, but as Mara said, it'll be Mara and Reese who'll be conducting the search.

Reese will be the scapegoat if the new guy doesn't hit the tracks running. Unless they get to the playoffs in the next two years (perhaps even if they don't get there next year) then Reese is gone even if the Giants have the best draft class in history this year.

Top Bottom