• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

Line_HTX

I would hope, at a minimum, the Browns will be the first team to start using optimal 4th down and 2 point strategy. I wonder how far they take it. How much say does coach get? Does he have to go by the book (as written by front office) about that stuff? Will they go fast when behind and slow when ahead?

4th & 3? Always go for it, stacking the box be damned.

Always go for 2 points.

SMOrc

LJ11

I would hope, at a minimum, the Browns will be the first team to start using optimal 4th down and 2 point strategy. I wonder how far they take it. How much say does coach get? Does he have to go by the book (as written by front office) about that stuff? Will they go fast when behind and slow when ahead?

Baseball managers still do stupid shit, and they have every number available.

Too many people jumping on full on analytics wagon. Joe Thomas is a guy that's been rumored in trades in the past, this is a trade more likely to happen now than before. Get the best return possible for a player who is on the backside but has a few more years of high level play. Also what makes your LT more important than your RT? OL play in the league is shit but you have SB teams with awful OLs and Tackles.

spyder_ur

Tom Brady tried to cheat and then cover it up. We'll see what happens when it is cold and Brady starts throwing properly inflated footballs

I'm sure you'll be here if they make the Super Bowl eating crow on deflategate.

I'm not too worried about him throwing 'properly inflated footballs'. Brady and the Pats at large have been more secure with the ball this year.

Damn at the Eli reaction - actually kinda emotional.

Bowser

Hope McDermott remembers what happened to the last Panthers coordinator to become Browns HC.

Although I'm honestly not too worried about losing McD. He's been great, but this is Rivera's defense and we've got a in-house candidate in DBs coach Steve Wilks (who was Rivera's original choice for DC, but SD wouldn't let him leave).

Wish McD was doing the interview in CLT though rather than traveling to CLE. Then again, we've played all 3 of our possible divisional opponents this season so we've got a bit of a leg up in terms of scouting anyway.

Too many people jumping on full on analytics wagon. Joe Thomas is a guy that's been rumored in trades in the past, this is a trade more likely to happen now than before. Get the best return possible for a player who is on the backside but has a few more years of high level play. Also what makes your LT more important than your RT? OL play in the league is shit but you have SB teams with awful OLs and Tackles.

Case in point - Panthers as #1 seed with Michael Oher and Mike Remmers manning the T positions.

eznark

Banned

Only issue I see is having other teams willing to play ball. Draft picks are still considered far more valuable by GM's than math.

What good is being the smartest guy in the room if no one will talk to you?

Why would you want Shurnur running the entire offense? Because he squeaked out a win against an absolutely shit-tier Giants team in a game that didn't matter.

If Chip is gone, he's gone. I don't want to see half-measures. No need to run a knock-off version of his offense headed by a Browns reject.

Chip's offense was amazing. Sam looked super good in it the 2nd half once he got comfortable. I would rather he not have to learn an entirely new offense again, with yet another OC if possible. Keep what works, add to it.

Watching Stephen A this morning going ham on the Coughlin story was hilarious but he did have a point on the last 6 or so years about not making the playoffs.

LJ11

Only issue I see is having other teams willing to play ball. Draft picks are still considered far more valuable by GM's than math.

What good is being the smartest guy in the room if no one will talk to you?
You're absolutely right, can't dance without a partner.

squicken

Yeah and his play slipped a bit this year. It's hard to talk to Browns fans about him though, so I think it would be a really tough sell.

Banner was on Sportcenter and said when he traded Richardson the coach wanted to kill him. Trading current players for future gain is part of baseball, but in baseball you aren't asking the rest of the team to play out the year with partially torn knee ligaments and arthritic elbows

I'm sure you'll be here if they make the Super Bowl eating crow on deflategate.

I'm not too worried about him throwing 'properly inflated footballs'.

Don't worry, I'll be here. Though hopefully we'll all be on to whatever the next uncovered Patriots cheating scandal is

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Browns fans yesterday: DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Browns fans today: WHY DIDN'T YOU HIRE A FAILED RETREAD AGAIN??????!!!!!!?????????

Not I!

What's the worse that can happen we fail? Oh no I've never seen that before.

Draxal

"Eli, it's not you" was such an amazing moment even without seeing his reaction. With the reaction...man. Great, great moment.

Here's the transcript.

Q. What would your message be to Eli, who now faces tremendous change and possibly another offense?
TOM COUGHLIN: He can handle it all. He's done it before. He'll handle it again. He's extremely bright. He's extremely competitive. He's what you want a son to be made out of.

He thinks he's the reason. He's not the reason. Eli, it's not you, it's not you. It's us. We win, we lose together. When we lose, I lose. When we win, you guys win. That's the way it is. That's the game. I know what it is. I got the game. I got it.

But what I would tell him, he's going to be right in here in about two days starting to work on next year, just like he always does. That's never going to change. God bless him for it.

I was like wow when that happened.

LJ11

You're absolutely right squicken, hard get vets to play through the rigors when it's a lost season, which is why you end up dumping most of the vets and get young. Get guys who have to fight for their jobs. Easier said than done.

Chip's offense was amazing. Sam looked super good in it the 2nd half once he got comfortable. I would rather he not have to learn an entirely new offense again, with yet another OC if possible. Keep what works, add to it.

Chip's offense was bottom 10 in yards per drive, points per drive. Ranked #28 in turnovers per drive. It was inefficient even when Bradford was getting the hang of things the 2nd half of the season. It was a dink-and-dunk offense that somehow was still turnover-prone.

Chip's offense was bottom 10 in yards per drive, points per drive. Ranked #28 in turnovers per drive. It was inefficient even when Bradford was getting the hang of things the 2nd half of the season. It was a dink-and-dunk offense that somehow was still turnover-prone.

This year it struggled due to the poor OL play and the drops, but the 2 years before it was top 5 each year with garbage at QB. Keep Shurmer and what worked from what Chip was doing. Add in slower tempo in the right situations, let the QB be under center some times, and even mix in some audibles and the offense with Bradford could be really good.

When the Philadelphia Eagles interviewed running back coach Duce Staley over the weekend, many were quick to point out how the interview satisfied the Rooney Rule requirement. According to NFL insider Jason Cole, the league took notice and is concerned with Philadelphia's decision:

"As the Philadelphia Eagles go through their coaching search, one of the concerns that came up over the weekend was the disappointment by the NFL over the interview of Duce Staley. The league felt that, in interviewing Staley, the running back coach for the Eagles, that this was a way for the Eagles to manipulate the Rooney Rule and get around the rule quickly so they could hire whoever they want to right away and not give a legitimate interview to a minority candidate.

The league office was especially disappointed because of the interview of Staley because of the support the Eagles got in the aftermath of the Riley Cooper incident from two years ago. So all of that put together put the Eagles in a bad light.

However, what the Eagles explained to the league office, and to other that were concerned with this, is that Staley, in fact, requested this interview, said that he was one of the best candidates, and they felt obliged to give one of their own assistants, one of their own people, a chance to interview for that job.

This is one of the continuing problems that comes up with team as they deal with the Rooney Rule."
Assuming this report is true, it seems silly to me that the NFL is concerned. The Eagles are reportedly set to interview Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin this week, so that alone would seem to debunk the theory that interviewing Staley was about bending the rules.
If anything, it's offensive that the NFL doesn't see Staley as a legitimate candidate. Sure, Staley isn't necessarily the favorite by any means, but the organization clearly likes him. He was one of two coaches to survive the house cleaning that took place when Andy Reid got fired.
This isn't the first time the Eagles have been wrongly accused of skirting the Rooney Rule. Some questioned the team's decision to interview Falcons special teams coach Keith Armstrong in 2013. Shortly after that, Philadelphia hosted Lovie Smith for a visit.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...ney-rule-duce-staley-head-coaching-job-racism

Interesting that the league is basically saying Duce isnt a real head coaching candidate. That must make him feel terrible.

This year it struggled due to the poor OL play and the drops, but the 2 years before it was top 5 each year with garbage at QB. Keep Shurmer and what worked from what Chip was doing. Add in slower tempo in the right situations, let the QB be under center some times, and even mix in some audibles and the offense with Bradford could be really good.

It was average again in 2014 again. Ranked 14, 13, and 32(!!!) in the three stats I mentioned before. The tempo and number of snaps per game artificially inflated the total production numbers.

The fuck is Urlacher doing?

CX9wAHZWEAAHIMy.png

Looking fabulous.

squicken

They were just a bad team. They seemed to always find ways to kill a drive. After the bye, the INT rates was actually above average, but the fumble rate was still awful. I'm sure drops and penalties were bad but there's no way to track the splits

Having seen Shurmur in STL and observed him in CLE I wouldn't want him as HC either. But the Eagles offensive issue was personnel. Guard play was as bad as any in the league, and the outside WRs weren't much better

rando14

Man that Coughlin presser was rough. Hope he finds work again real soon, the NFL is better with him in it.

Also this is an interesting chart:

CX931ReWkAADdsX.jpg

BigAT

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...ney-rule-duce-staley-head-coaching-job-racism

Interesting that the league is basically saying Duce isnt a real head coaching candidate. That must make him feel terrible.

I mean, is he? He's only been a coach in any capacity for 5 years and has never held spot above position coach. Doesn't look like the resume of a head coaching candidate (yet).

He'd rather get interviewed by 4 different teams than get hired by 1.

God damn.

MechDX

Man that Coughlin presser was rough. Hope he finds work again real soon, the NFL is better with him in it.

Also this is an interesting chart:

CX931ReWkAADdsX.jpg

So going by this chart the Super Bowl will be played by either the Texans/Patriots vs. Washington/Panthers ?

/sarcasm

Top Bottom