• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

squicken

Tavon Austin bit is hilarious. What a weird year he had.

When the Rams drafted him and tried to turn him into Danny Amendola it was the dumbest thing. He's just not a good WR. He's too easy to jam, doesn't have the best hands, and cannot block at all. If Sean Payton had him he'd figure it out, but that is not happening in STL

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I log onto ESPN.com to see if there were any new hirings or news and I see a headline with the Browns and Mets mentioned.

"Outside the Box: Browns hire Mets Deposta"

I had to do a double take "they're not talking about the Baseball Mets are they?"

"Is this a CFL team I haven't heard of?", I thought.

Nope, it's the New York baseball Mets, and somehow, someway, someone from that organization is the Chief Strategy Officer for the Cleveland Browns, a team in the National Football League.

I log onto ESPN.com to see if there were any new hirings or news and I see a headline with the Browns and Mets mentioned.

I had to do a double take "they're not talking about the Baseball Mets are they?"

Nope, it's the New York baseball Mets, and somehow, someway, someone from that organization is the Chief Strategy Officer for the Cleveland Browns, a team in the National Football League.

Hey buddy lots of talk in Philly about Austin being a guy they are really interested in. You can squicken to the Eagles if they hire him.

eznark

Banned

Think in his first press conference he will say "I'm not a football guy" ?

We should restructure Celek and Peters if we can, and keep Sproles. The rest will unfortunately become cap casualties. Also, are you factoring in the rollover from this year's cap?

Different websites give different figures, but I went with the lower estimate from Spotrac that we'll roll over about $3mm. It'll be somewhere between $3-9mm rollover, nothing crazy. Rookies should cost around $4mm so it's something of a wash.

Whatever the case is, some of those contracts need to be dealt with, either by cutting or restructuring -- which isn't different from any offseason. But don't expect big money free agent signings like 2015.

Line_HTX

Geez Pagano, the day you get extended by the colts is the best day of your life? Not being pronounced cancer free? Not the birth of your daughter(s)? But the day you get extended by the colts?

I know right? The way he said it with that smug face is too much.

:jnc

Hindl

Different websites give different figures, but I went with the lower estimate from Spotrac that we'll roll over about $3mm. It'll be somewhere between $3-9mm rollover, nothing crazy. Rookies should cost around $4mm so it's something of a wash.

Whatever the case is, some of those contracts need to be dealt with, either by cutting or restructuring -- which isn't different from any offseason. But don't expect big money free agent signings like 2015.

Ok gotcha that's what I figured. And yeah, I'm not expecting anything like 2015 again for a long while. We need to lock up our guys, and then spend FA potentially on a guard, maybe two if we have the room. Otherwise build through the draft. Also, a lot of our defensive signings will be based on if our new HC wants to switch to the 4-3, in which Curry becomes a lot more valuable than if we stay 3-4

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
GroundedOblongJapanesebeetle.gif

kmag

If we want to lock down Bradford, Cox, Curry, and maybe a priority free agent, we'll need to allocate about $20-35mm of 2016 cap to make that happen. We'll have maybe $16mm cap space as it stands after accounting for signing draft picks.

Realistic cuts & cap savings:

• Brent Celek, $5mm
  • DeMeco Ryans, $3.5mm
  • Mark Sanchez, $3.5mm
  • Darren Sproles, $3.5mm
  • Riley Cooper, $2.9mm
  • Jason Peters, $6.2mm
If Howie cuts them all (won't happen), that would leave us with about $44mm to spend, so obviously they don't all need to go. But expect Howie to cut a couple contracts, rework another couple, etc. I think Peters stays on his current deal, but the rest is going to depend on who the new coach is.

Most teams like to have between $1.5 million and $3 million for contingency during the season.

Listening to the Sports Radio channels in in the greater NJ/NY area has been hilarious the last couple of days.

You'd swear Coughlin dropped dead on the sidelines and John Mara came down from the Sky Box and took a dump on his body the way the callers are phoning in eulogizing Coughlin.

Did I miss the litany of Cardinals super bowls somehow?

You missed where the Cardinals have made sound Football decisions that have turned the franchise around from a joke to a Super Bowl contender. The Browns however continue to make terrible choices year after year and fail to capitalize on their early draft picks no matter how many chances they get.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
You missed where the Cardinals have made sound Football decisions that have turned the franchise around from a joke to a Super Bowl contender. The Browns however continue to make terrible choices year after year and fail to capitalize on their early draft picks no matter how many chances they get.

Hiring as many ex-Steelers as possible seems to be a successful strategy.

Most teams like to have between $1.5 million and $3 million for contingency during the season.

Right. Maybe $20mm is the absolute minimum it would take to resign Bradford, extend Cox, and maybe resign someone like Curry or Thurmond. You'd just need to severely backload the deals.

squicken

Sean McDermott went on Philly radio this morning. Said he still loved the Philly area and would like to coach the Eagles. So far the Eagles haven't scheduled an interview. Lurie thinks it is easier for an offensive coach to find a good DC than for a defensive coach to find a good OC

cashman

Banned
I don't hate the DePodesta hiring. The Browns are a complete mess and needed to do something big to change that. Will be interesting to see what he brings to the Browns.

I saw something yesterday that said they expect the Eagles to have around $25m in cap space next year. Try to get Bradford for around $16m a year, not sure he would do this but I hope, then you have to sing Thurmond, and lock up Cox. Losing Curry will really hurt but I am not sure they will be able to keep him. Bradford is the key to all of this. If he walks and Sanchez plus some scrub FA are the QBs next year they will be a 2 win team.

I don't think they should sign Thurmond to be honest. He's great in coverage as a free safety but he's too weak in the run. If Billy Davis is gone next year and we're not using safeties as essentially another cornerback I don't think Thurmond is going to be ideal for what they'd need from a safety, certainly not at the price he'll be at. I actually think Maragos could be a solid player, or Couplin, if the emphasis of the position is not as much of a pass coverage unit as a traditional safety.

I also don't think they should sign Bradford, but mostly because I think they should go after Hundley like crazy.

Hiring as many ex-Steelers as possible seems to be a successful strategy.

They've all been trash outside of Arians and Horton. Our D remained just as good if not better after Horton left but I credit him for setting up a successful system. Bowles and now Betcher were smart enough to not change too much and let the talented players continue to do their thing.

eznark

Banned
Wow the Cardinals have a 43% winning percentage as a franchise. Woof, worse than I thought. Second worst in football history as a matter of fact.

Sorry DM

Jesus Christ NFC south has 4 of the bottom 13.

Sean McDermott went on Philly radio this morning. Said he still loved the Philly area and would like to coach the Eagles. So far the Eagles haven't scheduled an interview. Lurie thinks it is easier for an offensive coach to find a good DC than for a defensive coach to find a good OC

I heard him say that his agent hasnt heard from the EAgles yet, I was really surprised. The local radio mentioned that Lurie fired his brother though from a position in the Eagles FO. I wonder if they just figured there would be bad blood over that. Sean did sound like he would be interested, so maybe they are just taking their time.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
They've all been trash outside of Arians and Horton. Our D remained just as good if not better after Horton left but I credit him for setting up a successful system. Bowles and now Betcher were smart enough to not change too much and let the talented players continue to do their thing.

Who was the coach when the Cards actually went to a SB? Where did he come from?

rando14

I don't think they should sign Thurmond to be honest. He's great in coverage as a free safety but he's too weak in the run. If Billy Davis is gone next year and we're not using safeties as essentially another cornerback I don't think Thurmond is going to be ideal for what they'd need from a safety, certainly not at the price he'll be at. I actually think Maragos could be a solid player, or Couplin, if the emphasis of the position is not as much of a pass coverage unit as a traditional safety.

I also don't think they should sign Bradford, but mostly because I think they should go after Hundley like crazy.

Hundley, as in Brett Hundley? Why do they need to pursue him like crazy?

Hundley, as in Brett Hundley? Why do they need to pursue him like crazy?

Because I think the dude is going to be a killer QB in the league. He looked great in the preseason, and he just had a year with a team that is probably the best at developing QBs in the league. I think Hundley is probably a better choice than almost any QB in this years draft. They should be able to get him for a relatively low price and use higher picks to rebuild other offensive positions. He's on a rookie contract so they can spread that money around resigning other talent or getting some needed FAs.

eznark

Banned
Because I think the dude is going to be a killer QB in the league. He looked great in the preseason, and he just had a year with a team that is probably the best at developing QBs in the league. I think Hundley is probably a better choice than almost any QB in this years draft. They should be able to get him for a relatively low price and use higher picks to rebuild other offensive positions. He's on a rookie contract so they can spread that money around resigning other talent or getting some needed FAs.

Why would the Packers trade him?

Yeah, you didn't see Carson Palmer dancing around on the sidelines a few weeks ago?
Did you dance after winning your Super Bowl, our Pre-season game on Sunday?
Wow the Cardinals have a 43% winning percentage as a franchise. Woof, worse than I thought. Second worst in football history as a matter of fact.

Sorry DM

I'm surprised it's not worse than that to be honest. I personally don't give a shit about the team's years before they came to Arizona, they are my team because they are an Arizona team although being my father's team helped and he was a fan before they came here having grown up some in both the Chicago and St. Louis area. Even then, only two stretches I've been able to enjoy as a fan which are the obvious, Warner era and the present. It's why I'm so happy and get so hyped up thinking about our current state. I doubt if many of you perennial-y good team fans remember what it felt like when you first went from shit to great. It's going to mean an awful lot to me if we win a championship. Regardless, it feels so good to be lead by guys like Keim and Arians after so so many awful coaches and Graves' garbage ass as GM. When your organization is run right, you have a chance and positive things will happen. I already came to understand this well long ago being a Suns fan when we were the fourth most winning-est team in NBA history but could never get over the hump because of poor leadership much of the time. The owner is awful and I have no confidence we'll truly improve until he sells the team as he's never been committed to hiring the right Basketball minds to run his organization. I digress, back to football.

squicken

Serious inquiry. What sort of money does Bradford get on his next contract?

Condon got Alex 3 years $45m guaranteed, so the thought is that he will try to beat that since the cap has gone up 20%. The argument will obviously be about injury protection as well

I heard him say that his agent hasnt heard from the EAgles yet, I was really surprised. The local radio mentioned that Lurie fired his brother though from a position in the Eagles FO. I wonder if they just figured there would be bad blood over that. Sean did sound like he would be interested, so maybe they are just taking their time.

His brother was in marketing. It had been hinted that Howie fired him, but it was Lurie. My guess is they really want Gase. Lurie likes his offensive guys, and I agree that is the way to go. Not sure about Gase, but it's hard to retain good offensive coaches

Beat guys said Marrone won't be a candidate

eznark

Banned
Did you dance after winning your Super Bowl, our Pre-season game on Sunday?

I'm surprised it's not worse than that to be honest. I personally don't give a shit about the team's years before they came to Arizona, they are my team because they are an Arizona team although being my father's team helped and he was a fan before they came here having grown up some in both the Chicago and St. Louis area. Even then, only two stretches I've been able to enjoy as a fan which are the obvious, Warner era and the present. It's why I'm so happy and get so hyped up thinking about our current state. I doubt if many of you perennial-y good team fans remember what it felt like when you first went from shit to great. It's going to mean an awful lot to me if we win a championship. Regardless, it feels so good to be lead by guys like Keim and Arians after so so many awful coaches and Graves' garbage ass as GM. When your organization is run right, you have a chance and positive things will happen. I already came to understand this well long ago being a Suns fan when we were the fourth most winning-est team in NBA history but could never get over the hump because of poor leadership much of the time. The owner is awful and I have no confidence we'll truly improve until he sells the team as he's never been committed to hiring the right Basketball minds to run his organization. I digress, back to football.

Nothing will ever top the Badgers winning their first Rose Bowl.
happytears.gif

Except when the Brewers win the World Series.........
cry.gif

Sorry DM

The Cards were bad for so long, I'm surprised their record isn't even worse. I'm pretty sure they were bad to awful for 30 years or so.

Why would the Packers trade him?

They kind of already have a QB. Wasnt that the point of drafting him, use a pick hope he looks good and then flip him for a better pick? I thought that was what people were saying at the time when they took him. For the record I dont want him, or any of the other availble QBs. I want Bradford.

rando14

Nothing will ever top the Badgers winning their first Rose Bowl.
happytears.gif

Except when the Brewers win the World Series.........
cry.gif

BITCH you getting my hopes up that someday the Mariners will win a World Series...

BUT I KNOW WE NEVER WILL SO FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUU

*cries

bionic77

Is anyone actually surprised that Munn sucked all of the talent and courage out of Rodgers?

I seem to remember that only me and Greg predicted this. The other Packer fans and "football fans" dismissed and ridiculed us.

eznark

Banned
They don't have a good reason to, honestly, unless they see it as a way to get players they need to win in the short term. Doesn't mean I don't want it to happen.

Well they took him with a fifth, spend a year investing in him, so I'd trade him to you for a third this year and a third next year.

Deal?

Well they took him with a fifth, spend a year investing in him, so I'd trade him to you for a third this year and a third next year.

Deal?

lol, no. Eagles need to draft multiple OL, they also need to get help at WR. Will need to adress depth at other spots. No way should they trade more picks for QBs. They do have an extra 3rd this year thanks to the Lions.

Deal?

I have no idea what is a good deal for him, I just think he's going to be a good QB and will be better than Bradford, and he seems somewhat obtainable. The thing I liked about him in general is if you look at all of the knocks against him in the draft they all seemed like things that were coachable to get fixed. I also like the idea of getting a young QB with the potential to take the team places and I don't think the Eagles are going to be able to do that through the draft, and that's certainly not Bradford.

Do you think I'm off base here? You probably know more about him than I do.

eznark

Banned
I have no idea what is a good deal for him, I just think he's going to be a good QB and will be better than Bradford, and he seems somewhat obtainable. The thing I liked about him in general is if you look at all of the knocks against him in the draft they all seemed like things that were coachable to get fixed. I also like the idea of getting a young QB with the potential to take the team places and I don't think the Eagles are going to be able to do that through the draft, and that's certainly not Bradford.

I think Hundley is at least two seasons away from even being a guy I'd ever consider dressing as the backup, but I do love his potential and how quickly he learned from rookie camp to pre-season. It was night and day. Supposedly that progression has not continued at such a ludicrous and exponential rate however and he has sort of tailed off. But that's based on like the two reports a month you get on bottom chart guys so who knows. Pretty much can't say anything about him until next Spring.

I'd be pissed if the Packers gave him away for nothing, but I'd be cool with trading him for a third. If someone thinks he can start in the NFL in 2016 they are fucking insane...or just don't want to win football games.

You do know that Bradford just turned 28 right? He has many more productive years ahead of him still. Build up the OL, get the WR's some stick em gloves and he will be great.

Top Bottom