• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Conference Championship |OT| - Better Games than the Switch's Launch Lineup

harSon

Banned
The qb is playing like ass. The obvious solution is to pass more.

Yes, the solution against a team and coach who is famed for taking away your top outlet is to not predicate yourself on that one outlet. It's not like they're not the 3rd best defense against the run or anything.

Doomsayer

It was really surprising how badly Ben played Sunday. He was really, really inaccurate. Throwing high and away for pretty much the whole game. He has to clean that up if they even want to try and have a chance against the Cheats.

Atlanta/GB is going to be an insanely high scoring game. It's hard to bet against Rodgers right now.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Yes, the solution against a team and coach who is famed for taking away your top outlet is to not predicate yourself on that one outlet. It's not like they're not the 3rd best defense against the run or anything.

They should go for the ultimate surprise move and start Landry Jones.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It was really surprising how badly Ben played Sunday. He was really, really inaccurate. Throwing high and away for pretty much the whole game. He has to clean that up if they even want to try and have a chance against the Cheats.

Atlanta/GB is going to be an insanely high scoring game. It's hard to bet against Rodgers right now.
It's not surprising at all if you've seen the Steelers lately. Ben has been bad all year and even worse than usual after his yearly injury.

I think Bell doing incredibly well actually hurts us as far as the passing game is concerned. If you watched these last two games, Ben and our receivers look crisp and on the same page. But once Haley gets a taste of the defense's inability to stop Bell, our offense will literally go entire series' only throwing the ball once. Bell is definitely a beast, and I know its tough not to do what's seemingly working, but I've noticed our tendency to run run run at the expense of our pass game going cold on a number of occasions this season. It's hard to argue with results though. I just think to beat the Patriots, and then the Packers/Falcons - it's going to take a balanced attack. And you have to begin to ask, while Bell is clearly effective, is rushing your RB 60 times over two games (and ~28 attempts/game on average over the last 8 games) going to have diminishing returns at some point? That's a lot of wear and tear on your running back, especially when you have a capable backup who literally has touched the ball twice over the last two games.

The last few seasons the Asterisks offense has gone mostly through their running game but that doesn't stop Brady from making a play when necessary.

I agree with you about it hindering Ben - he is a rhythm passer - but any coach in the league would argue that you need to put the ball in the hands of your playmakers. Should we sacrifice touches for Bell (who's been on absolute fire) against the Asterisks so Ben can get his throws (and conversely allow the Asterisks defense to pin their ears back and go after Ben and force turnovers, which is exactly what they want)?

Steelers have more than enough firepower to beat the cheaters but in order to do so Ben HAS to be all in for 4 quarters and cut this streaky ass play.

Even as longtime greenbay fan its just more and more surprising to see the things Rod do. I remember hanging out with my brother and his boy evans, rookie safety on green bay and I asked him who is the best on the team he said Rodgers. Said he be throwing no look passes in practice and shit

squicken

http://aflcfootball.com/index.php/team/team_intro

Just putting down that I am now a Hong Kong Combat Orcas fan

UTflMcm.png

MechDX

Aaron Wilson ✔ @AaronWilson_NFL
Bill O'Brien on if George Godsey will be back: 'We're looking at everything.' Emphasized nothing decided on anything for anyone
11:34 AM - 16 Jan 2017

Bill O'Brien on Romeo Crennel contract being up: 'He's done a great job. We would love to have him back.'
11:33 AM - 16 Jan 2017

Bill O'Brien: 'I can tell you we want A.J. Bouye back. He's one of us.'
11:36 AM - 16 Jan 2017

One of these things is not like the other.....Godsey is dead man walking

Also, yeah on paper the Asterisks are third best against the run on the season, but what good team did they beat to earn that mark? Their last 7 wins (since the Seahawks beat them at Foxborough):

Dolphins
Jets
Broncos
Ravens
Rams
Jets
Niners

Best running team on that list? The Dolphins, who were down 14 points early and couldn't run. Every other team has had documented concerns running the football, or just plain sucked ass as a football team.

I'm so not scared of the Asterisks run defense.

Also, yeah on paper the Asterisks are third best against the run on the season, but what good team did they beat to earn that mark? Their last 7 wins (since the Seahawks beat them at Foxborough):

Dolphins
Jets
Broncos
Ravens
Rams
Jets
Niners

Best running team on that list? The Dolphins, who were down 14 points early and couldn't run. Every other team has had documented concerns running the football, or just plain sucked ass as a football team.

I'm so not scared of the Asterisks run defense.
Speaking of running, can we give some credit to the Steelers fantastic o-line? Bell has his patented patient running style but as I've said before that shit is worthless if your o-line isn't winning consistently. Those guys are well-coached and they beat d-lines up, it's fun to watch.

The Pouncey brothers are something special, if only they could stay healthy...

I wouldn't be surprised if they have trouble running against NE, though. Pats defense excels because guys are always where they need to be, it's hard to find lanes against them. I think Ben will have to have a big game for Pittsburgh to win.

Speaking of running, can we give some credit to the Steelers fantastic o-line? Bell has his patented patient running style but as I've said before that shit is worthless if your o-line isn't winning consistently. Those guys are well-coached and they beat d-lines up, it's fun to watch.

The Pouncey brothers are something special, if only they could stay healthy...

I wouldn't be surprised if they have trouble running against NE, though. Pats defense excels because guys are always where they need to be, it's hard to find lanes against them. I think Ben will have to have a big game for Pittsburgh to win.

The Steelers O-line is God tier. Never thought i'd be able to say that while Ben was still QB.

That said I agree with you - the Asterisks best quality (aside from their proficiency for cheating) is knowing where to be and when at all times. That said, i've seen the Steelers O-line just exhaust defenses with run after run where Bell gets 5,6,8,9 yards per run.

Harson's right though, let's bench Bell.

Spinluck

how the fuck is ben sucking when he has that o-line

bell

brown

and an all around talented supporting cast?

enough about bell's unique runnin style, how about how awesome he in the passing game?

if ben lays an egg next week he's dead to me.

Bread

Banned
The Steelers O-line is God tier. Never thought i'd be able to say that while Ben was still QB.

That said I agree with you - the Asterisks best quality (aside from their proficiency for cheating) is knowing where to be and when at all times. That said, i've seen the Steelers O-line just exhaust defenses with run after run where Bell gets 5,6,8,9 yards per run.

raichu redeemed

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

bell

brown

enough about bell's unique runnin style, how about how awesome he in the passing game?

The one thing that is hurting Ben is the lack of a deep threat. He throws a good deep ball and uses that to loosen up the defense underneath.

harSon

Banned

You're really good at oversimplifying an argument to best serve your purpose. I didn't say to bench Bell. I said to bring greater balance to our offense, which has no bearing on whether the offense still maintains its run heavy lean.

The reality of our pass offense is that it can and has gone cold if kept out of the fold for long periods of time. That's why our offense would seemingly disappear at times when our defense couldn't keep an offense off the field. As you said, Ben is very much a rhythm passer - and is susceptible to positive and negative momentum in the best and worst ways possible. That's the reality of the situation. You can either work with that, and come up with a game plan where you're not running all the way to the red zone - and then wondering why you walk away with a field goal when the sole pass is a 3rd down conversion that fails. Or you can try to keep the pass offense engaged from the onset, not running Bell into the ground in the process, and hopefully reap the benefits within the pass and run game against a defense that is left scratching their head on what the offense will do next.

You are right that the Dolphins never got to run because they were down early. On top of that their first matchup was the second game of the season well before Ajayi had established himself, plus the o-line wasn't healthy yet.

I'd love nothing more than to see Bell go for about 215 and 3 TDs with 5+ ypc.

FTF

Bionic, are the Steelers coming for the AFC crown on Sunday or not? We need a definitive answer from you on this.

bell

brown

When Ben is inaccurate, he tends to miss high. Most of these interceptions are on tips. That's sometimes okay when Coates, Green, or James is receiving as they're all 6 foot plus, not so great when Brown and Rogers are deep.

Chuck made a good point - He's missing that deep threat that he can rainbow a deep pass to. Coates is active but Tomlin clearly doesn't trust his broken fingers and Green is still in concussion protocol after the Rats game.

Put dreads on Deebo, change his number to 90, blitz in the middle and do this:

Aypedpl.gif

I'm happy for the Texans that Clowney (and Mercilus) panned out and can't wait to him and Watt together. That's gonna be scary.

harSon

Banned
The one thing that is hurting Ben is the lack of a deep threat. He throws a good deep ball and uses that to loosen up the defense underneath.

That definitely has a lot to do with.

It's not a coincidence that Ben looked really good when Coates was tearing the top off opposing defenses, and started to look good again once Green slowly started to cement himself as a legitimate # 2.

Brown is always going to be Brown, but a good secondary will always be able to limit his ability to take over a game if he's the only legitimate threat. Brown being so good and commanding so much attention from the defense should open up the field for some of our other receivers. That was the case last season with Bryant, and for some of the season, Wheaton as well. But that hasn't been the case. And that's due to the fact that we're relying on Rogers, Ayers and Hamilton - who would be on the practice squad if it weren't for the fact that Bryant, Wheaton and Heyward Bey were not playing. Don't get me wrong, they've stepped up in a big way - and they may be able to work their way into being legitimately great receivers in the near future... but let's be real - they were on the practice squad for much of the year for a reason.

I think it's the lack of a true # 2 in the pass game, outside of Bell (whose been noticeably absent in that role within the playoffs), that has resulted in our struggles to put the ball into the end zone. And that's why I think Green status for this upcoming game is one of the keys to victory. Without receivers who can create mismatches and beat their man, or find soft spots in a zone, it can potentially be difficult to mount an effective passing attack - especially if your QB is not on top of their game.

Top Bottom