• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Conference Championship |OT| - Better Games than the Switch's Launch Lineup

It's becoming apparent that the only thing we can be sure Bionic was right about was the Patriots and their cheating ways.

Who knows what else he has lied about? What if Jordan was actually ok at basketball after all?

cdyhybrid

When Bread tries to hire someone

kpWiXG2.gif

Farooq

Banned
I honestly don't see why you should be?

I regret writing that because I don't have anything solid to back my opinion.

I just felt that there is a good chance the Cowboys regress next season based on the history of the league. They had some insane injury luck so who knows if that continues. I also think that Tyron's back issue leaves for some uncertainty about the Cowboys strongest unit. They are also going to need a replacement for Free and the current swing has been injured every season since being drafted. They also need a replacement for Terrance Williams.

There is still an off-season to get through, so my remarks may have been premature. It is not based on my opinion of Dak though. I think Dak has been awesome.

Edit: Sorry for the late reply.

MechDX

How Brock Osweiler May Have Screwed the New England Patriots

It’s no secret that the Patriots could be in line to trade their backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo this coming off-season. His contract will be up in 2018, so their last chance to get some value back in return before he leaves is almost at hand. Initially there was a belief they could get upwards of a 1st round pick and more for the 25-year old.

Turns out the buzz may be changing on that, and it’s because of Osweiler. Bucky Brooks of NFL.com wrote an in-depth piece about the state of quarterback play in the league. One of the subjects was whether top executives would prefer to build a team around a young quarterback from the draft or trade for one that already has experience. The answers he got were universal in one sense it least.

Osweiler has definitely tainted the waters.

Former GM:

“They haven’t played enough for me to make a solid assessment on what they could be as starters. It reminds me a little of the Brock Osweiler deal, and I wouldn’t want to get burned.”
AFC Personnel Director:

“We’ve seen this movie before with Osweiler. I would pass on the vets and hang my hat with one of the young guys. If you miss on the rookie, you can move on after three years. With the vet, you’re giving up picks and paying big bucks, so it might cost you your job if you’re wrong.”

Fun fact I never realized:
In the past 51 years, only one team has ever traded for the backup from another franchise and managed to win a Super Bowl. Just one. That was the Green Bay Packers when they sent a 1st round pick to the Atlanta Falcons for Brett Favre. He is the only viable example holding this industry of drafting and then dealing quarterbacks alive.

Somebody will likely still end up trading for Jimmy Garoppolo come this spring. He showed enough talent during his brief appearances in 2016 to think he can be a starter. However, the Patriots may not be able to get the kings ransom in return they were hoping for. If they wanted to point the finger of blame at anybody for it, then Brock Osweiler is the man.

Brock done fucked it up for everyone.

MechDX

Mech, you like DJ's mock draft of having you guys drafting Deshaun?

If Chip was the OC, yes. I have absolutely no clue what the team will do this off season. If I had to bet? My money would be on Osweiler staying and they go defense in the first round again. Maybe draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round.

I dont think Watson falls that far and if he did I would bet they would pass or trade down to someone who does want him.

If Chip was the OC, yes. I have absolutely no clue what the team will do this off season. If I had to bet? My money would be on Osweiler staying and they go defense in the first round again. Maybe draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round.

I dont think Watson falls that far and if he did I would bet they would pass or trade down to someone who does want him.
They have us drafting a TE. Don't need one, unless we're losing either Delanie or Fassano

MechDX

Tom Brady in trouble? Right

Colin Cowherd believes that, with a lackluster postseason performance against the Steelers, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady will be in jeopardy of being jettisoned for Jimmy Garoppolo.

Why in the bloody hell do people even pay attention to the likes of Cowherd?? That is the dumbest thing I have read today next to....

Chris Carter going on FS1 with Bayless and saying the Cowboys should trade Romo and a first round pick to Houston for Watt. Now cowboy "fans" on social media are all worked up saying "talks about Watt to Dallas are heating up". No they arent. A fucking moron who knows jack shit is giving his hot take.

Line_HTX

There is zero chance Watt is getting traded. That was NEVER a thing to begin with. Fucking stupid Cowturds thinking there's something there.

Why in the bloody hell do people even pay attention to the likes of Cowherd??
That is the dumbest thing I have read today next to....

Chris Carter going on FS1 with Bayless and saying the Cowboys should trade Romo and a first round pick to Houston for Watt. Now cowboy "fans" on social media are all worked up saying "talks about Watt to Dallas are heating up". No they arent. A fucking moron who knows jack shit is giving his hot take.

Indeed

Bill Simmons apparently thought that, had the Niners hired McDaniels, they would have traded the number 2 overall pick for Jimmy G.

His pods with Lombardi are basically 45 minute Belicheck handjob sessions.

cashman

Banned

This is ridiculous. Why would the Cowboys trade a franchise qb for a guy who, while a very good player, missed pretty much the whole year with back issues.

Bitanator

Why in the bloody hell do people even pay attention to the likes of Cowherd?? That is the dumbest thing I have read today next to....

Chris Carter is a dipshit who has succumb to delivering shit on Skip Bayless show which gets less ratings than a rerun of Bubble Guppies, fake fans think this shit stain is a good source of opinions as gospel and bandwagon people eat his takes up. Dude is not even a fan of the team, it is sad ex players have found need to come on his show and lose credibility by spouting bullshit.

ATLANTA FALCONS

Homegrown Players: 27 (20 draftees, 7 college free agents)
Outside Free Agents: 24
Trades/Waivers: 2
Quarterback Acquired: Drafted Matt Ryan with the 3rd overall pick in 2008.
Last Five First-Round Picks: S Keanu Neal (2016, 22); OLB Vic Beasley (2015, 8); OT Jake Matthews (2014, 6); CB Desmond Trufant (2013, 22); WR Julio Jones (2012, 6).
Top 5 Cap Figures: Ryan $23.75M; Jones $15.9M; DE Tyson Jackson $6.35M; G Andy Levitre $5.375M; Matthews $4.48M.

GREEN BAY PACKERS

Homegrown Players: 44 (34 draftees, 10 college free agents)
Outside Free Agents: 7
Quarterback Acquired: Drafted Aaron Rodgers with the 24th pick in 2005.
Last Five First-Round Picks: DT Kenny Clark (2016, 27), S Damarious Randall (2015, 30), DB Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (2014, 21), DE Datone Jones (2013, 26), DE Nick Perry (2012, 28).
Top 5 Cap Figures: Rodgers $19.25M; OLB Clay Matthews $13.75M; CB Sam Shields $12.00M; OLB Julius Peppers $10.5M; WR Randall Cobb $9.15M.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Homegrown Players: 37 (27 draftees, 10 college free agents)
Outside Free Agents: 10
Trades/Waivers: 6
Quarterback Acquired: Drafted Tom Brady with the 199th overall pick in 2000.
Last Five First-Round Picks: DT Malcom Brown (2015, 32); Dominique Easley (2014, 29); DE Chandler Jones (2012, 21); LB Dont'a Hightower (2012, 25); OT Nate Solder (2011, 17).
Top 5 Cap Figures: Brady $13.76M; Solder $10.32M; Hightower $7.75M; DE Jabaal Sheard $6.81M; TE Rob Gronkowski $6.62M

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Homegrown Players: 30 (23 draftees, 7 college free agents)
Outside Free Agents: 21
Quarterback Acquired: Drafted Ben Roethlisberger with the 11th overall pick in 2004.
Last Five First-Round Picks: CB Artie Burns (2016, 25); OLB Bud Dupree (2015, 22); ILB Ryan Shazier (2014, 15); OLB Jarvis Jones (2013, 17); OG David DeCastro (2012, 24)
Top 5 Cap Figures: Roethlisberger $23.95M; ILB Lawrence Timmons $15.13M; WR Antonio Brown $11.88M; C Maurkice Pouncey $10.55M; DL Cam Heyward $10.4M.

Clearly, the Falcons aren't built like the Packers, the Steelers' construction is different than it was with their most recent (drafted-player heavy) title teams, and the Patriots' high percentage of homegrown talent belies the fact that half of their first-round picks since 2012 are on other rosters. But when other teams look, they do see a few commonalities.
------------------------------------

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/19/how-nfc-afc-championship-teams-built-nfl-playoffs

kmag

Cowboys only save $5.7m by trading or cutting him. No one is taking that contract as is. He will end up being released outright.

They can 'save' up to $14m this year by designating him a post June 1st cut. Of course that splits the hit into next year but they're up against the cap with only 46 players under contract and large number of free agents.

Frankly it makes more sense for them to cut him with the post June 1st designation (they can do that at any time.

Striker

They can 'save' up to $14m this year by designating him a post June 1st cut. Of course that splits the hit into next year but they're up against the cap with only 46 players under contract and large number of free agents.

Frankly it makes more sense for them to cut him with the post June 1st designation (they can do that at any time.
Oops, thanks. You know they'll try to trade him but I just can't see it with his cap and his injury situation. Future mentioned KC as a spot and that is one spot he could thrive in. Good weapons and a nice line. But I don't see Andy giving up on small hands.

Top Bottom