• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Divisional Round |OT| - A Thread on NeoGAF.com.

Hindl

All they had to do was knock the price down by $50, make pro controllers $50, and have free online, and there would be a massively different reaction

As a Skins fan I have nothing against McVay and think he's certainly competent, but his offense underachieved here. Some of the worst red zone play calling I've seen in a while too.

I think he has potential but think the chances of him succeeding with what the Rams have is basically zero.

All they had to do was knock the price down by $50, make pro controllers $50, and have free online, and there would be a massively different reaction

The pay for online garbage is Microsoft's fault. Worst thing to happen to consoles in their history.

Paying for online play is the reason I don't have a PS4.

edit: actually scratch that. It's GAMERS fault for buying into that bullshit. Giving these corporations free money for peer to peer services. Ugh.

Hindl

The pay for online garbage is Microsoft's fault. Worst thing to happen to consoles in their history.

Paying for online play is the reason I don't have a PS4.

I agree, but at least with Microsoft and Sony there's a robust account system and features, and free recently released games as long as you keep the service. I'd rather have free online but those make it more tolerable. But Nintendo has no current account system, it looks like major features are being tied to a smartphone app, and it looks like you'll only get the game free for a month AND it's going to be at least 20 years old.

Poor people ruin everything.

Yeah but they keep these companies in business

The paid online is a huge bummer. I can justify it on PS4 because I play a fair amount of online games there but Nintendo consoles... It'll be hard to justify unless they really step up their game.

The paid online is a huge bummer. I can justify it on PS4 because I play a fair amount of online games there but Nintendo consoles... It'll be hard to justify unless they really step up their game.

It's not worth it for me at all because I just don't play consoles enough to waste 50 bucks a year for a feature I may want to use seldom, but cripples most games when it's missing.

Honestly though were it not for Bloodborne I wouldn't even want a PS4.

I think people exaggerate about Nintendo's online presence. Only glaring omission they ever had constantly was voice chat. Everything else worked fine. This smartphone thing though...I get it, you want to offload the battery life, but sometimes convenience is more coveted.

It's not worth it for me at all because I just don't play consoles enough to waste 50 bucks a year for a feature I may want to use seldom, but cripples most games when it's missing.

Honestly though were it not for Bloodborne I wouldn't even want a PS4.

I think people exaggerate about Nintendo's online presence. Only glaring omission they ever had constantly was voice chat. Everything else worked fine. This smartphone thing though...I get it, you want to offload the battery life, but sometimes convenience is more coveted.
I guess you aren't into Japanese games but PS4 has plenty of exclusives to justify buying one in my opinion, even if you are primarily a PC gamer. That said, it's worth it for Bloodborne alone (the true GOAT).

Hindl

Being honest the online doesn't bother me that much since I've probably only played online Nintendo for a total of two months in the past 4 years so I probably just won't buy it. But for Mario kart and Splatoon 2 that's fucked.

I'm also assuming they'll have shit to bring at E3. If they have a good showing there it'll make up for this somewhat. If they screw that up I'll start prepping the grave

So did they even mention the guts inside this thing? What's under the hood?

No but they never do that. We pretty much know it's a customized Nvidia shield tho. It'll be like running games on low settings on your laptop

I guess you aren't into Japanese games but PS4 has plenty of exclusives to justify buying one in my opinion, even if you are primarily a PC gamer. That said, it's worth it for Bloodborne alone (the true GOAT).

For other people sure, not for me. I probably play through 3-4 games a year now, whereas 10 years ago it was 5 times that. PS4 has some interesting games but I know I won't bother.

I bought a Wii U at launch and the only games I bought and played for a considerable amount of time were

NSMB U
Zombi U
Monster Hunter
Super Metroid

There are other games I want to play on it (Like Xenoblade and Tropical Freeze) but I just can't force myself anymore.

That said, if Nintendo announces a new Metroid Prime game I probably will flip the Switch.

Hindl

I thought the presentation was fine? I want most of the games they showed.

Splatoon 2 on was a great showing. I think it's gonna have a great library. But the launch lineup is anemic and it's expensive. $70 for a pro controller? $110 for a set of joycons and the grip? Paid online? I'll buy it but I don't think the masses will and that's bad for everyone

First free switch game will be urban champion
��

I bet it's Balloon Fight.

That presentation was whatever and I was tired at the time it aired but I got a GameStop preorder in. I'm probably gonna just sell off my Xbox One to try to mitigate the cost.

How is that 1/2 Switch game not a pack-in though?

Sephzilla

Nintendo asking for paid online when they haven't proven to even be competent at online yet is quietly the most eyebrow raising part of the whole thing

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Nintendo Switch looks kinda like a disaster in the making...short term anyway.

Might be looking at getting one whenever Mario comes out I guess. That lineup for the rest of the year just doesn't look very exciting and now I'm even more confused about what they've been working on while the Wii U has had a bit of a software drought.

Sephzilla

Nintendo Switch looks kinda like a disaster in the making...short term anyway.

Might be looking at getting one whenever Mario comes out I guess. That lineup for the rest of the year just doesn't look very exciting and now I'm even more confused about what they've been working on while the Wii U has had a bit of a software drought.

Yeah, I kind of figured the system would be front loaded with launch titles... but it's not. Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 are a little ways off, Mario is way off, no word on Smash, and I'm shocked at how few Wii-U ports there are.

Hindl

Hopefully the first few months are awful for them and Nintendo gets their heads out of their asses and has a $250 price point with a bundled game by Black Friday

I will say though, I'm watching the Treehouse stream on a second screen at work, and it looks pretty good. Not $60 good but if it were $30 or something I'd get it

Fox318

The bigger issue for Nintendo is I don't see 3rd parties willing to go all out on a tablet system like that knowing Nintendo's history of lackluster support.

Jarnet87

Hopefully the first few months are awful for them and Nintendo gets their heads out of their asses and has a $250 price point with a bundled game by Black Friday

I will say though, I'm watching the Treehouse stream on a second screen at work, and it looks pretty good. Not $60 good but if it were $30 or something I'd get it

The Wii U dropped like $50 through its entire lifecycle. I could see a bundled game but not in addition to a price drop this holiday season. At least with one SKU they won't have to kill off the cheaper one again.

jmdajr

Yeah, I kind of figured the system would be front loaded with launch titles... but it's not. Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 are a little ways off, Mario is way off, no word on Smash, and I'm shocked at how few Wii-U ports there are.

Any word on the architecture? Does it have WiiU guts?

MechDX

C2Bc7GkVQAAf7t-.jpg:large

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Yeah I was expecting a port of Smash at the minimum but nope!

Feels like the Wii U all over again with a super slow software drip. They really must be working on 3DS games still or something because the lineup is just blah.

I think they'll be lucky to do better than the Wii U. It should since it's a far more functionable device than the Wii U tablet in terms of portability, power, touch screen capabilities, etc.

Although that 32GB storage is kinda painful in this day and age...another expense to consider since that thing is getting upgraded day 1.

Top Bottom