• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Divisional Round |OT| - A Thread on NeoGAF.com.

Nintendo is fucking dead as a portable company. Outside of games they make nobody else is supporting their system aside from a few PC indies

Plus now every kid has a fucking smart phone as their system. They can get games for free instead of paying 40 bucks for a Nintendo game.

Nintendo refused to evolve and we are seeing the last gasps of a company trying to stay relevant.

If that's your honest opinion then we're seeing two last gasps (Nintendo and Microsoft) Which means the only worthwhile console to purchase is the PS4. If so, how long until that attitude affects Sony too?

The entire console market is shriveling up before our eyes, and this elitism towards only buying consoles on the "bleeding edge" (but still vastly inferior to PC) is the reason.

I don't think Corporations pay much heed to knee jerk reactions on message boards. Do you remember how bad the initial reception to the Wii was?

The Wii was an abnormality, it sold casuals on the motion control gimmick. It was cheap, and bundled with the best motion control mini game ever (bowling) to help sell others on said gimmick. There is nothing like that here

Syrinx

Launch lineup complaints are silly too. No hardware manufacturer is going to blow their load with games during launch. It's a stupid expectation to expect Zelda AND Mario together day one.

Not to mention that this thing debuts before E3. Nintendo will no doubt have games to show there (or their specific conference, however the fuck they do it now).

Every Nintendo conference GAF overhypes itself with ridiculous expectations.
The launch is admittedly bare (2 games?), and the price and paid online are disappointing. Everything else I thought was great.

The only real omission I noticed was Retro's game, which I'm assuming they're saving for E3 since it's more western-focused.

Sephzilla

This. The Pack have no running game and no defense.

I know everyone wants to equate this to 2010 but the Pack had one of the best Ds in the league that year and managed to stitch together a competent running game with James Starks. They have neither this year.

Their running game is serviceable right now but not great. Montgomery and Micheal collectively ran for about 74 yards against the Giants last week and the Giants gave up some of the fewest running yards in the league this year. The Packers running game this season has statistically been better than the 2010 and 2011 Packers.

Tom Penny

The Wii was an abnormality, it sold casuals on the motion control gimmick. It was cheap, and bundled with the best motion control mini game ever (bowling) to help sell others on said gimmick. There is nothing like that here
Wrong!!!

giphy.gif

How do you know this?

The point I was making with Wii is that it was shrouded by the same doom and gloom from the same knee jerk reactors we see here. Even when it launched and was sold out for a year GAF was still doomsaying it. Now years later "of course it was going to be a success!"

As I said earlier, GAF has an enduring bias against paying for Nintendo consoles because they think that graphics tech is the only thing worth paying for. Do you think those "Wii casuals" shared your opinion? The Wii could easily have sold for another 100 bucks and it had Gamecube graphics!

There are bad things about this console launch (read: paying for online play, ugh) but the terrible reactions and doomsaying from GAF yet again, is terribly overblown.

Dak and Zeke have been resting for a while now though, gotta shake that rust off. I think they made the sin of giving their key starters too much rest.

Like I said, if the Packers can keep Dallas around 20/21 points then the Packers should win the game. Plus playing in decent weather is more of a plus for the Packers than it is for Dallas

dak has looked pretty bad in games where he's had extra rest, and he's looked bad in cold weather games, so playing at home is a plus

it evens out?

C2D-v0TXgAAEI8G.jpg

5 at launch is bad but honestly happily impressed with most of that stuff actually having legit release dates and being this year at that. Baby steps?!

Hindl

Without Jordy Cowboys are gonna walk through that game

The launch is admittedly bare (2 games?), and the price and paid online are disappointing. Everything else I thought was great.

The only real omission I noticed was Retro's game, which I'm assuming they're saving for E3 since it's more western-focused.

Yeah I the weird Joycon games are whatever, I was expecting Nintendo to have something like that. But those should be all together and included with the System. Otherwise the games look great and they have to save something for E3, it's just the price

Tom Penny

Without Jordy Cowboys are gonna walk through that game

Yeah I the weird Joycon games are whatever, I was expecting Nintendo to have something like that. But those should be all together and included with the System. Otherwise the games look great and they have to save something for E3, it's just the price
GB really needed Jordy against a much better defense last game.

Steve Wilks officially promoted to DC of the Panthers

David Gettleman's second favorite word (behind hogmolly): Continuity

Speaking of hogmollies, as much as Getts talks about dominating the trenches, he's drafted only one viable offensive lineman (Trai Turner) in his 4 drafts with the Panthers.

Nintendo is fucking dead as a portable company. Outside of games they make nobody else is supporting their system aside from a few PC indies

Plus now every kid has a fucking smart phone as their system. They can get games for free instead of paying 40 bucks for a Nintendo game.

Nintendo refused to evolve and we are seeing the last gasps of a company trying to stay relevant.
[citation needed]

Sephzilla

The Packers have more receivers than Jordy Nelson. Randall Cobb is healthy again. Adams is a pretty big threat
if he can hold on to the ball
. Jared Cook is a pretty big part of the offense. Geronimo Allison has been a pleasant surprise this year. Montgomery can be a dual threat as well. No Nelson hurts their deep game a little but it's not a death nail to the offense. The Packers managed to do shit in the playoffs last year with Jeff Janis and Jared Abbrederis, for god's sake lol.

[citation needed]

Pretty much

We can and should all be disappointed, but it takes a lot more effort than you'd think to kill companies. This is nowhere near their last effort at a new system, and people who believe that it is are probably gullible enough to believe MS when they say the Xbone is the last, best, and only console you'll ever need and they'll learn from Scalebound's cancellation

bionic77

Last gen I believe the home consoles sold around 300 million consoles (Wii,. Let's give another 200 to the portable (probably more actually).

That is 500 million consoles sold. This gen they are going to struggle to sell half of what they did last gen if you add all of that up. Sony is doing well but the industry itself is obviously in decline. Weird how despite all the numbers most people can't see to add them up (if these numbers are wrong then fuck the numbers).

If you are a Jets fan or someone with shit taste or no money I can see how the Switch would be offensive. But JoyConBoyz are on board day one.

We taking this shit back.

You are either with or you are basically sucking the dick shaped thing on Brady's strap on.

Pretty much

We can and should all be disappointed, but it takes a lot more effort than you'd think to kill companies. This is nowhere near their last effort at a new system, and people who believe that it is are probably gullible enough to believe MS when they say the Xbone is the last, best, and only console you'll ever need and they'll learn from Scalebound's cancellation
I am not impressed with what Switch has for launch but people acting like the 3DS and PS4 are failures is just laughable. Do 5 minutes of research.

Hindl

It's def a big blow for packers, but they did more than fine in second half against the Giants, who have a better defense than Dallas.

GB really needed Jordy against a much better defense last game.

No they did fine without Jordy against the Giants, but the Giants offense was anemic. The Cowboys are going to be able to sustain drives the Giants weren't able to, and they'll put up points. With Cobb, Jordy, and Adams Rodgers would win in a shootout. With Jordy out though there's more pressure on the defense, and I don't have high expectations for them.

I am not impressed with what Switch has for launch but people acting like the 3DS and PS4 are failures is just laughable. Do 5 minutes of research.

Yep

My hopes on getting it this year are basically "good to great stuff at E3" or "price drop on Black Friday", but there's potential. Launch year's going to be rough, but I don't think I've seen a non-rough launch year ever in terms of either price or lineup

Probably won't be getting Switch at Launch, Zelda looks dope though.

I'm personally happy Nintendo didn't just scrap motion controls. I'd play Zelda with it, and the eventual Re4 rerelease you know theyll make.

bionic77

Got my Switch from Best Buy.

I will get all my games and Joy Cons and shit from Amazon.

Amazon up your game and let me buy the console from you too! Stores and shit are last gen!

Sephzilla

The Giants defense was better than Dallas's defense and the Packers clowned the Giants in, bad weather, and did most of it without Jordy. So the offense can absolutely hang points on Dallas. What Hindl said is on point though, the Cowboys can maintain solid drives way better than the Giants could which means the Packers offense will be on the field less. The Giants also beat the Cowboys twice this year, so Dallas can definitely be beat by a team with some flaws.

The two key things for the Packers to beat the Cowboys are

1) The offense can't have the slow start they had against the Giants.

2) The defense needs to put a couple of stops on Dallas.

Hindl

Switch will get Pokemon, as much I'm a Zelda whore, Pokemon is their biggest ip.

And if that and Splatoon 2 weren't enough for Japan, Monster Hunter on the TV will be. Though at that point I can't see them not bringing Monster Hunter to PS4 also

Sephzilla

For the Packers to win it really depends on which Devante Adams shows up.

And which Mike McCarthy shows up. And which Dom Capers shows up.

If we get the McCarthy that thinks we can beat Dallas by pounding them with the run game, we're fooked. If we get the Dom Capers who thinks man coverage against Dez Bryant is a solid strategy, we're fooked. If we get the Devante Adams that drops easy touchdowns, we're probably fooked.

MechDX

The Giants defense was better than Dallas's defense and the Packers clowned the Giants in, bad weather, and did most of it without Jordy. So the offense can absolutely hang points on Dallas. What Hindl said is on point though, the Cowboys can maintain solid drives way better than the Giants could which means the Packers offense will be on the field less. The Giants also beat the Cowboys twice this year, so Dallas can definitely be beat by a team with some flaws.

The two key things for the Packers to beat the Cowboys are

1) The offense can't have the slow start they had against the Giants.

2) The defense needs to put a couple of stops on Dallas.

I believe in legendary Texans coach Dom Capers

Top Bottom