• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn glad we locked up Ertz. Good price too, he really started to come into his own this year. Once he had that hernia surgery and healed up, he played really well down the stretch. Also become a nice blocker this season. He's also still really young, so hopefully he develops even more next year.

Unfortunately, this probably means Celek is gone. Shame, he's a great guy and has always been dependable, but Ertz has basically been groomed to take his spot.

Sadly yeah. Though Celek is still far and away better than any of the other TEs on the roster other than Ertz, so I imagine somebody would pick him up. I'd be fine with restructuring him into a smaller contract too. Not really needed though, because Trey Burton is on his rookie contract and he's a passable backup to Ertz.

Edit: Didn't realize Ertz put up basically similar numbers to Travis Kelce.

MechDX

CZk7UQ1UAAIjItO.jpg:large

Yeah all he has to do is just throw it high above the guys around the goal line and Gronk will catch it. Gronk 1v1 on Shiloh Keo and Brady never looked

e: If you bring up the All 22 and watch it in motion it is a throw he can make. He just doesn't see it b/c he was pressured

Watching that game just makes me realize what a charmed life Brady has had. His offense is a read and fire quick tempo offense, but on the occasions that the first or second guy wasn't open Brady has had days to sit in the pocket and wait for something.

Watching the Panthers last night reinforced this idea. How important are dominant wide receivers really? They are a nice luxury, but if i'm a GM I spend my energy putting beef in front of my QB before anything.

Godslay

Banned
Yeah all he has to do is just throw it high above the guys around the goal line and Gronk will catch it. Gronk 1v1 on Shiloh Keo and Brady never looked

e: If you bring up the All 22 and watch it in motion it is a throw he can make. He just doesn't see it b/c he was pressured

Not a great angle, but the window to throw was pretty tight. Especially on the run with Marshall in his face.

https://streamable.com/4vdn

spyder_ur

Yeah, it happens. It's obviously no secret, but the pressure was the key to the game. Pats tackles were total turnstiles and the Ware and Miller were absolutely relentless and didn't wear down at all. You have to give them a ton of credit.

Honestly, the game didn't go too much different than I expected. I thought the Pats would limit Denver's offense. However, I thought the Pats would get to 25 or so (that's basically been the baseline when Gronk/Edelman are healthy) which would be enough, but they couldn't do it. Gronk was freaking thrilling at the end of that game.

It sucks to lose, but when you play as many big games as the Pats did, you aren't going to win them all, especially on the road against good teams.

I also thought the refs did a pretty good job and stayed out of the game enough - only slight issue would be the PI calls and lack thereof early. I had basically no problem with Bill going for those 4th downs. I think each decision was the right one for that time/score situation, though looking back at them together, it obviously cost them. But it mostly comes down to execution.

Also, this thread was pretty repulsive here at the end of that game, from both sides. I don't understand it.

eznark

Banned
Sadly yeah. Though Celek is still far and away better than any of the other TEs on the roster other than Ertz, so I imagine somebody would pick him up. I'd be fine with restructuring him into a smaller contract too. Not really needed though, because Trey Burton is on his rookie contract and he's a passable backup to Ertz.

He'd be an idiot to restructure, given the current TE market. If he is cut he immediately becomes far and way the best available at a position of need for like, 75% of the league.

BigAT

Giants can pick him up.

Hindl

Yeah, he has no dead money. It's an easy cut.

I still have my misgivings about Howie, but he's done pretty good with contracts generally. But aside from TDs, Ertz is right around 6-7 in rankings for TEs:

6th in Receptions. 7th in Yards. 7th in Receptions of 20+ Yards.

And that was with him having abdominal surgery at the beginning of the year and missing some games. So if he can get some more TDs and continue his production from the last half of this season, then he'll be a Top 5 TE easily. And Pederson really leaned on Travis Kelce in KC, so that bodes well for Ertz too. So this deal is really a bargain down the road if he develops correctly, especially with the cap rising. But if he never takes that next step, then he's an easy cut down the road. So it's a win win

eznark

Banned
NO QB outside of Rodgers, Ben, Cam, or Luck is muscling that throw in there retreating like that.

Yeah, it's a pretty bullshit still. So many of those floating around this year, specifically on "bad" reads as though the moment captured in the image was static for 5 seconds. Talib has a play on any ball that isn't lofted and the corner up top has time to adjust to anything to the corner.

I mean you could argue that he should throw it anyway because Gronk, but it's pretty disingenuous of squicken to pretend like he was wide open.

spyder_ur

Watching that game just makes me realize what a charmed life Brady has had. His offense is a read and fire quick tempo offense, but on the occasions that the first or second guy wasn't open Brady has had days to sit in the pocket and wait for something.

Watching the Panthers last night reinforced this idea. How important are dominant wide receivers really? They are a nice luxury, but if i'm a GM I spend my energy putting beef in front of my QB before anything.

The Oline during Brady's years have been good and consistent, but not often elite, nothing as strong as teams like the Broncos, Seahawks, Cowboys, etc. have had during various times of success. Brady has as much to do with why he doesn't get sacked often as the line does.

The Panthers line, however, is elite. They were freaking incredible last night.

Not a great angle, but the window to throw was pretty tight. Especially on the run with Marshall in his face.

https://streamable.com/4vdn

It's a tough throw, but Brady could make it pretty easily if he was in rhythm and comfortable, which he never got to in this game. I think he was just kind of set on Edelman and probably expected Juls to get a little more room than he did.

bionic77

My opinion on that is there's no "window". Gronk is in the back of the endzone running to grass. Just get the ball higher than those guys in the goal line can jump and Gronk catches it.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/162742324/patriots-failed-two-point-conversion-brady
Your opinion is wrong.

In the picture you posted he is already late on the throw. The Broncos already made him move to the right because of the pass rush. He doesn't have the arm strength to muscle that in the back of the end zone. If he throws up a flutter ball like he does on the pass that gets tipped the same thing would happen at the back of the end zone.

bionic77

Louis Riddick talked about the play on Sportscenter. Rosenthal talked about it on the ATL podcast. He was open.
He already had to move because of the pressure in the pocket by the time Gronk made his move.

Lets stop pretending that Tom Brady can make those throws on the run. As was pointed out before there are a very select few players in NFL history who can do that.

The Broncos won on that play because they made Brady move to this right. Then they covered it up on the back end. They won on that play.

eznark

Banned
It's ok to have your own opinions, squicken. Just because someone gets a microphone doesn't make them smart.

Three months ago I would have probably defaulted to agreeing with Fahey but man, he's had some bizarre takes this fall.

It is nice to see people not knee jerking to defending Brady though, that's new. Someday maybe Nantz will get there instead of blaming James White for bad overthrows.

squicken

He already had to move because of the pressure in the pocket by the time Gronk made his move.

Lets stop pretending that Tom Brady can make those throws on the run. As was pointed out before there are a very select few players in NFL history who can do that.

The Broncos won on that play because they made Brady move to this right. Then they covered it up on the back end. They won on that play.

I'm not arguing they didn't win. They created pressure which forces mistakes. The created pressure by winning a matchup between rusher and blocker. The Pats won on the Malcolm Butler play; Wilson didn't choke.

Gronk was still open

MRSA

Banned

That depends, look at Dallas with arguably the best o-line in the game and a top 5 WR, they couldn't do shit without a competent QB. Shit even McFadden's busted ass had 1000 yards behind that line.

Respect

I can't really be that mad about not getting the 2 point conversion after they got 2 miracle plays to even get to that point.

Belichick not kicking the FG when the defense was playing great and there were 6 minutes left in the game with all your timeouts was by far the stupidest decision yesterday.

bionic77

That depends, look at Dallas with arguably the best o-line in the game and a top 5 WR, they couldn't do shit without a competent QB. Shit even McFadden's busted ass had 1000 yards behind that line.
Pats offense works because of the system.

Dink and dunk only works if everyone does their job 99% of the time. Otherwise you look like the Broncos offense.

Also they cheat...

Line_HTX

It's ok to have your own opinions, squicken. Just because someone gets a microphone doesn't make them smart.

Three months ago I would have probably defaulted to agreeing with Fahey but man, he's had some bizarre takes this fall.

It is nice to see people not knee jerking to defending Brady though, that's new. Someday maybe Nantz will get there instead of blaming James White for bad overthrows.

Simms was sucking Tom more than Nantz yesterday, it seems.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Belichick not kicking the FG when the defense was playing great and there were 6 minutes left in the game with all your timeouts was by far the stupidest decision yesterday.

Nah it's hard to hate when coaches are playing to win the game. He was stepping on the gas and felt he had the initiative so it's hard to blame him for the call.

squicken

I guess my point about the media running with it was they had early access to the All 22. Once we get the All 22 then we can make our own decisions. I don't think a lob works b/c the corner could drop. Brady is 6'5" and could have lined it right over the goal line defenders heads. That's why you have giant TEs work the back line.

And Simms and Nantz are the worst. I'm not sure any WR has ever been open in Phil Simms land

Eh can't really blame him for going for it there. Even if you stop the offense there's no guarantee they can get back in the redzone.

Squalor

No it wasn't.

The defense was playing great. They had no clue they'd even get another chance that close to get a touchdown. They needed miracle Gronk "plays" to even get down there again.

Belichick is Belichick. I'm not saying he has made poor decisions before, but when his aggressiveness pays off, which, for a guy with four Super Bowls, happens more often than not, you guys don't say anything.

Yuck, I feel gross for even typing all of that out. I'm glad the Patriots lost.

bionic77

Simms was sucking Tom more than Nantz yesterday, it seems.
Neither one of them brought up the bullshit picked up flag on the offsides of the numerous times the refs ignored the intentional groundings.

CBS stands for Cowards Bitches and Scallywags!

Farooq

Banned
You just seemed very concerned that I wasn't posting for 45 minutes last night, I don't want you to get an ulcer on account of me.

I am stoked at this Super Bowl. I'll be happy with either team winning, my only concern is that it'll be a boring blow out.

But yes, Cam Newton becoming a fantastic quarterback is really killing me.

I was sad that Palmer fell apart in December, though. That part does make me sad. He was amazing for most of the year and then the thread last night was full of people who were watching their first game of the season pretending that Palmer has always been garbage.

I felt the same way. He WAS fucking amazing throughout the year, he played like a prototypical QB with his timing/footwork, moving defenders, accurate deep shots. This while coming off an ACL tear and a O-line that is not that great in pass pro. I was fucking sad that he went out like that. His season this year was more impressive than Romo's 2014 imo. I was Stan'ing hard for him.

Line_HTX

No it wasn't.

The defense was playing great. They had no clue they'd even get another chance that close to get a touchdown. They needed miracle Gronk "plays" to even get down there again.

Belichick is Belichick. I'm not saying he has made poor decisions before, but when his aggressiveness pays off, which, for a guy with four Super Bowls, happens more often than not, you guys don't say anything.

Yuck, I feel gross for even typing all of that out. I'm glad the Patriots lost.

lol, good for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom