• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rando14

I'm super baffled by this supposed "Carson Palmer chokes in the playoffs" narrative. Before this season he had only played in one playoff game essentially, against a legitimately excellent defense.

Is Teddy Bridgewater now considered a playoff choker for the rest of his career?

You've been posting here long enough to know that every QB is a choker :)

BigAT

Holly-with-AARP-card1.jpg

Couldn't even get Mr. Cooper to give Ninja his card?

bionic77

I'm super baffled by this supposed "Carson Palmer chokes in the playoffs" narrative. Before this season he had only played in one playoff game essentially, against a legitimately excellent defense.

Is Teddy Bridgewater now considered a playoff choker for the rest of his career?
You can't see it because you are too close to the Bungles!

That said I don't think anyone saw that 2nd half coming against the Packers.

Speaking of which, can you ever recover from a choke like that? I am sure it has happened but I can't think of someone off the top of my head who was able to recover from something like that.

I remember choking once to a scrub in a tennis match. A match I should have won 6-0 6-0. But something in my brain broke and it took some serious bullshit in the 3rd set for me to recover after being up 6-1 5-1 and then losing like 10 games in a row. The match still burns me today!

I'm not talking about in the playoffs. I'm talking period.

Carson was a Bungle after all, we saw him two games a year. There was always an excuse for the latest loss. His knee, his line, T.O. Ocho Cinco. You never heard Carson take any blame. That's why he left the Bengals!

eznark

Banned

Speaking of which, can you ever recover from a choke like that? I am sure it has happened but I can't think of someone off the top of my head who was able to recover from something like that.

I remember choking once to a scrub in a tennis match. A match I should have won 6-0 6-0. But something in my brain broke and it took some serious bullshit in the 3rd set for me to recover after being up 6-1 5-1 and then losing like 10 games in a row. The match still burns me today!

I guess I'm asking when else he "choked." The Bengals teams he played on were generally pretty garbage, and he only survived one playoff game prior to the Packer game.

bionic77

I'm not talking about in the playoffs. I'm talking period.

Carson was a Bungle after all, we saw him two games a year. There was always an excuse for the latest loss. His knee, his line, T.O. Ocho Cinco. You never heard Carson take any blame. That's why he left the Bengals!
Palmer never choked as a Bungle like he did in the playoffs this year. They found ways to lose, but that is what being a Bungle is all about and it was not always his fault.

These past two weeks was a whole other level he went to.

Dude hit the panic button and was never able to turn it off.

eznark

Banned
I just think his finger made him inaccurate and he tried to overcompensate...or didn't compensate at all, and it cost him.

Greg

don't worry, I'll take it easy on you when we play pong!

manfestival

Palmer never choked as a Bungle like he did in the playoffs this year. They found ways to lose, but that is what being a Bungle is all about and it was not always his fault.

That choke was like a buccaneers choke. It was just one thing after another and another

True, but as Ez said it's not like he has a ton of experience in the playoffs.

Point is, the anomaly wasn't Carson playing like shit, it was Carson playing lights out football. Carson has been no better than slightly above average his whole career.

bionic77

don't worry, I'll take it easy on you when we play pong!
While this post is probably 100% true I do not like it. Not one bit.

I can handle being an old man on the basketball court, but playing ping pong a few months ago and sucking balls was a little too much for my ego. I mistakenly thought that my talent was innate and Tebow given and not via practice and hard work.

Line_HTX

This is the ad I get in this thread :(

One, how come you're not using uBlock Origin on your phone?

Two, that lame ass fad of a franchise is so 10 years ago. Not even advertising some shit trading card game will being it back. No one cares about it anymore.

I still like Palmer, but he's 36. Dosent seem like Arizona has anyone developing in the background yet. They failed with Logan Thomas, already released him I believe (3rd round pick). They need to find a young dependable Qb to develop, a Johnny Manziel type.

Tony Romo redeemed himself last post season, at least in my eyes. Pretty notorious choker before that.

I still like Palmer, but he's 36. Dosent seem like Arizona has anyone developing in the background yet. They failed with Logan Thomas, already released him I believe (3rd round pick). They need to find a young dependable Qb to develop, a Johnny Manziel type.

Here's the million dollar question - at what point do you draft and develop a franchise QB when you have one?

Asterisks fans, spare me your Jimmy Garrapapapapa garbage. So far the only team to do it successfully while still possessing a Franchise guy are the Packers.

squicken

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/eagles-signed-zach-ertz-5-year-extension
Eagles extended Zach Ertz. Really played well towards the end of the year. A guy wrote a long blog postmortem on Philly's 2016, and part of it was Chip relying on his scheme vs being a matchup offense

http://chipwagon.typepad.com/eagles/2016/01/where-did-it-all-go-wrong.html

I want to finish this piece off with a couple of notes on Chip Kelly's philosophy on match-ups. Quite bluntly, he doesn't appreciate them as much as he should at the NFL level. There is the whole conversation of him effectively letting go of premier playmakers Desean Jackson, Lesean McCoy and Jeremy Maclin in his 3 year stint. Those developments occurred for a number of different personal, philosophical and financial reasons that I won't dive deep into. However, regardless of the reasoning behind the departures of these players, it would be difficult to argue that Chip Kelly values elite talent at the NFL level. Why else can one justify the ridiculous number of snaps and targets guys like Riley Cooper, Miles Austin and Nelson Agholor received despite terrible production in 2016. You see Chip values interchangeable skills sets and likes to rotate 4, 5 even 6 different receivers on a regular basis in his offense. Sounds great in theory, but those guys need to win those matchups and guys like Cooper, Austin and Agholor consistently did not.
The Eagles aren't the most talented team in the NFL at the skill positions and certainly do not have an elite Calvin Johnson but they do have a couple of players who presented difficult matchups. Take for example Jordan Matthews. Playing exclusively as a slot receiver in the offense, at 6'3 he will often present a mismatch over smaller slot DBs. In fact, leading into a game against the Dolphins this past year, Jimmy Kempski pointed out Jordan Matthews against the small Dolphins DBs as a key matchup to watch. Outside of one DB, all of the Dolphins DBs fell under 6 feet tall. Clearly a matchup to exploit? Instead Jordan Matthews was targeted only 5 times for a total of 3 catches and 21 yards. The other mismatch the Eagles have is Zach Ertz. Another guy who was vastly under utilized especially in the first half of 2015.

Perhaps to make one final point on this "matchup" argument was the way Pat Shurmur chose to attack the New York Giants in week 17. Certainly seemed like he made a conscious effort to get his best players the ball:

Zach Ertz, 9 receptions on 9 targets for 152 yards

Jordan Matthews, 7 receptions on 9 attempts for 54 yards and 2 TDs.

Ertz also became a really solid blocker over just a glorified slot WR.

bionic77

True, but as Ez said it's not like he has a ton of experience in the playoffs.

Point is, the anomaly wasn't Carson playing like shit, it was Carson playing lights out football. Carson has been no better than slightly above average his whole career.
Eh, I don't know if I buy that.

He had a few good seasons, which is a lot more than slightly above average qb's can say. I would say that it is more accurate to say that he was a promising qb who never reached his potential. He definitely had the ability to sling it.

Very interested in what he does next season. Is his career over and has he lost all confidence or does he somehow find the strength to come back stronger than ever? I would bet on the former but it would be cool if he was able to rise above it.

I just remembered someone who came back from a choke like Palmer had but it was a women's tennis player. I don't remember her name, but she choked against Graf in the finals of Wimbledon about as bad as Palmer did in the playoffs, but she came back and was able to win it all a few years later. It is possible Carson! Don't give up!

Greg

While this post is probably 100% true I do not like it. Not one bit.

I can handle being an old man on the basketball court, but playing ping pong a few months ago and sucking balls was a little too much for my ego. I mistakenly thought that my talent was innate and Tebow given and not via practice and hard work.
you can get one of those participation medals Slo posted last night

it's all about fun!

I don't know what to make of all these former head coaches being hired by Zimmer.

Shurmur is interesting because Norv legitimately was lacking. Not all his fault obviously, Oline was poor in pass blocking and Teddy often overthrew or held the ball too long. There was definitely room for growth that wasn't happening this year though, the offense looked way better for example when they had McKinnen in the game for long stretches.

Weird though that they haven't given him a title, probably some kind of weird passing game coordinator or assistant offensive coordinator?

bionic77

Tony Romo redeemed himself last post season, at least in my eyes. Pretty notorious choker before that.
Romo never choked like Palmer did the past two weeks.

Making a bad decision or a bad pass is part of the game. And not coming through at the end of the game is also not the same thing. Palmer could not see the field at all. That is what happens when you are in a full blown choke. You can't do something that is normally an incredibly easy task for you.

I really liked the Cardinals team this year and it was sad for me to see Palmer choke like that. I know from personal experience that it is the worst!

Mindlog

David and Mankins heading to the pro-bowl to replace the Carolina losers too 'busy' to make the trip. Panthers are the worst.
DM is senile as hell. DM needs to take his Geriatric ass gang back to Denny's.
Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch, this is the South. We rally at Cracker Barrel.

bionic77

you can get one of those participation medals Slo posted last night

it's all about fun!
Sucking balls at something is not fun.

Honestly I don't think it is even fun for the person you are playing against!

Every decent person (sorry Pats fans) wants to play someone at their best and straight up beat them.

No matter how low I fall I will always be the one on one champion of the block I grew up on, I will always be college intramural ping pong champ, and I will always have my division tennis title. No one can ever take that away from me!

eznark

Banned
Brady doesn't have the arm strength anymore to make that throw. Though I guess he could've tried lofting it into the corner but that gives the high side corner an opportunity to make a play.

The despair of the noodle arm.

bionic77

He is flushed out of the pocket and he would have to fit that ball into a hole without his feet set with two Bronco defenders about to crush him. I don't think he could make that throw.

Lets not be a Pats fan and act like he is Aaron Rodgers.

edit: fuck!!!! Ez beat me!

squicken

Brady already made his 1 read. No way he even saw Gronk.

Yeah all he has to do is just throw it high above the guys around the goal line and Gronk will catch it. Gronk 1v1 on Shiloh Keo and Brady never looked

e: If you bring up the All 22 and watch it in motion it is a throw he can make. He just doesn't see it b/c he was pressured

Hindl

Damn glad we locked up Ertz. Good price too, he really started to come into his own this year. Once he had that hernia surgery and healed up, he played really well down the stretch. Also become a nice blocker this season. He's also still really young, so hopefully he develops even more next year.

Unfortunately, this probably means Celek is gone. Shame, he's a great guy and has always been dependable, but Ertz has basically been groomed to take his spot.

eznark

Banned
Damn glad we locked up Ertz. Good price too, he really started to come into his own this year. Once he had that hernia surgery and healed up, he played really well down the stretch. Also become a nice blocker this season. He's also still really young, so hopefully he develops even more next year.

Unfortunately, this probably means Celek is gone. Shame, he's a great guy and has always been dependable, but Ertz has basically been groomed to take his spot.

Yeah, he has no dead money. It's an easy cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom