• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.
how long do you think Ben has left in him? (serious question)

5 years. 3 of those at the level he's at now.

38-39 seems to be the time QBs start deteriorating. Brees is the next guy after Manning on his way out, followed shortly thereafter by Brady (who only really gets extra time as the offense he runs is easier on his body.)

MechDX

KVWrE.gif

Odd situation for them. Draft him at 22 in the first or wait until 2nd round? More than likely he wont be there that late in the 2nd. Hacks stock will rise enough after the combine enough that scenario has a legitimate chance of happening.

Howie Roseman will have final say on all of Eagles free agency and NFL draft decisions, per report:

The Philadelphia Eagles have suspended their search for a new player personnel chief, according to a report from Geoff Mosher. The team isn't expected to make a new hire until after the 2016 NFL Draft. More details:

The Eagles have tabled their search for a personnel chief and aren’t expected to hire until after the NFL draft, according to several league sources familiar with the situation.

The Eagles, who have no scouting chief after firing coach Chip Kelly and top personnel executive Ed Marynowitz, are looking for a high-ranking senior executive to lead the scouting department and determine the fate of current scouts, per sources, but they opened their search at a time when NFL teams are knee deep in the pre-draft process and would be reluctant to allow a top personnel executive to leave.

Teams don’t normally allow an experienced, senior executive to walk out their doors about one month from free agency and less than three months from the draft.

During Doug Pederson's introductory press conference, Eagles CEO and Chairman Jeffrey Lurie confirmed that the team was about to embark on a search for a new player personnel head. He refused to reveal the exact nature of the position, however, despite being grilled heavily on the topic.

The Eagles reportedly recently interviewed Brandon Hunt of the Steelers and former Browns executive Morocco Brown for the position. Based on Mosher's report, however, it would seem these won't be the guys who get the job (yet, at least). The Eagles are apparently looking for a more experienced executive.

So what does all of this mean? Some thoughts:

• As Mosher notes, the Eagles are having trouble luring an attractive candidate due to the timing of their search. He also reports that the continued presence of Howie Roseman could be a deterrent for potential candidates. We've wrote at length how Roseman being around is very troubling for the Eagles.

• Speaking of Roseman, it's clearly his show now. This was never in doubt since he had a major say in hiring the team's new head coach. It's also been clear he's been the driving force behind Philadelphia's recent contract extensions for home grown players such as Lane Johnson, Brent Celek, and Zach Ertz. Roseman's track record with personnel is mixed at best. He lost his job in player personnel when he lost a power struggle to Chip Kelly. And now the team is relying on Roseman to fix everything. What could go wrong?

• The Eagles' "collaborative" power structure is very uninspiring. Along with Roseman being in charge, the other two key figures include Pederson and senior director of player personnel Tom Donahoe. Pederson is a first time head coach. Donahoe is essentially semi-retired (he works remotely) and he's believed to only be a placeholder until the next executive is hired. This is the group that's going to lead the Eagles back to competing for championships?

• Roseman being in complete control isn't the only troubling aspect of this situation. The fact that the Eagles are seemingly undermanned after losing several personnel executives in past years is also concerning.

• All of this seems like far from an ideal situation. It seems like the Eagles are patching together a group of undermanned personnel staff in a key offseason for the team. It's hard to feel confident about the direction of this team with such a questionable front office setup.

I need to freeze myself like Cartman and wake up once Howie and Doug are gone. To bad Lurie wont sell the team any time soon.

Odd situation for them. Draft him at 22 in the first or wait until 2nd round? More than likely he wont be there that late in the 2nd. Hacks stock will rise enough after the combine enough that scenario has a legitimate chance of happening.

Trade one of your spare QBs for the Browns 32nd pick.

MechDX

Mech is getting his boy!

Congrats!

Sigh.....again? "My boy" is and always has been Wentz even though we are not getting him.

Then again you brain dead fucks think Johnny will wind up in Houston so....

That would be interesting.

I'd be surprised if they took a QB in the first round, although 30 or 31 is pretty late. So who knows?

He did say that would be dependent on Peyton retiring and Osweiler going elsewhere. Get him at 31/32 and have that 5th year option.

G Cobb just said on the radio that he thinks Doug will be heavily involved in player acquisitions. What in the world qualifies him for that? This has gone from bad to worse so quickly.

Godslay

Banned
He did say that would be dependent on Peyton retiring and Osweiler going elsewhere. Get him at 31/32 and have that 5th year option.

Even with Brock gone, it would just be dependent on who was available at that spot. I don't think they would reach to fill the QB spot. They usually use the 2nd and 3rd round to reach on guys. At least from what I've seen of Elway. Lots of mediocre picks in the 2nd and 3rd round thus far.

Let's not forget that there is no 32nd pick this year as well.

Greg

5 years. 3 of those at the level he's at now.

38-39 seems to be the time QBs start deteriorating. Brees is the next guy after Manning on his way out, followed shortly thereafter by Brady (who only really gets extra time as the offense he runs is easier on his body.)
you don't think the injuries will catch up with him sooner? Brees and especially Brady take nowhere near the amount of abuse

I can't see him ever changing the way he plays to avoid it either

You know every single DPI is going to be challenged right? And on top of that they are going to be people who disagree even with slow mo replay.

You have a point. Though I think the NFL rules on PI are just as ambiguous and subjective as their rules on what a catch is, and that shit needs to be fixed. QB's can't just keep Flaccoing it.

effzee

G Cobb just said on the radio that he thinks Doug will be heavily involved in player acquisitions. What in the world qualifies him for that? This has gone from bad to worse so quickly.

Couple of thoughts on this, if its true.

I say "if" cause again it seems like something they are putting out there as a PR move, similar to when they kept claiming Jaws and Polian helped them pick Pederson or that he was always their #1 choice.

Maybe in their minds, a former player and QB lends more credence to a FO then just Howie alone. Seems weak but could be.

But if Dougie Fresh is involved, it could also indicate their intention for the QB position. Between Doug and OC Reich they have tons of QB experience and know what they want in a QB. Could be a deciding factor on whether Bradford is brought back or they go with a rookie from the draft. Biggest question is, as always, the QB so if they have made up their mind on Bradford, Howie might think why hire someone to kick around right now when the biggest decision has already been made.

Even more problematic is how many good personnel guys they have let go or fired to satisfy Howie. It should be Tom Gamble and Ed Marynowitz running this FO. Football guys with proven track records.

Not this moron.

Couple of thoughts on this, if its true.

I say "if" cause again it seems like something they are putting out there as a PR move, similar to when they kept claiming Jaws and Polian helped them pick Pederson or that he was always their #1 choice.

Maybe in their minds, a former player and QB lends more credence to a FO then just Howie alone. Seems weak but could be.

But if Dougie Fresh is involved, it could also indicate their intention for the QB position. Between Doug and OC Reich they have tons of QB experience and know what they want in a QB. Could be a deciding factor on whether Bradford is brought back or they go with a rookie from the draft. Biggest question is, as always, the QB so if they have made up their mind on Bradford, Howie might think why hire someone to kick around right now when the biggest decision has already been made.

Even more problematic is how many good personnel guys they have let go or fired to satisfy Howie. It should be Tom Gamble and Ed Marynowitz running this FO. Football guys with proven track records.

Not this moron.

Man Tom, Ed, and Chip would be so good. If Howie had never fired Tom in the first place this team would be so much better off. Howie intentionally hurt the Eagles team because he only cares about himself, and he got rewarded for it. Man we live in such an unfair world.

squicken

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
I'm convinced Manziel is sabotaging his stay in Cleveland in order to get out. No one can be that dumb.

MechDX

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
I'm convinced Manziel is sabotaging his stay in Cleveland in order to get out. No one can be that dumb.

Johnny can be that dumb. He is killing his own career in the process. No one is going to touch him at this point

MechDX

Hey Mech, legit question, are you guys finally taking a QB in the first?

Got me. Everyone is saying they will but there hasnt been one leak from the Texans front office as usual. Im just to the point as long as they dont take defense in the first round again Ill be good.

eznark

Banned
Johnny Manziel clearly learned nothing from Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice. You beat toddlers, not women, if you want a successful NFL career.

JABEE

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt

I think he might succeed in Philadelphia if he could get his act together. He looked okay from what I saw of him last season, but it's hard to bet on someone that constantly finds new ways to torpedo his career.

squicken

I think he might succeed in Philadelphia if he could get his act together. He looked okay from what I saw of him last season, but it's hard to bet on someone that constantly finds new ways to torpedo his career.

The thing about Johnny is that his teammates get sick of answering questions about him every day. When Barnidge signed his extension like 60% of the questions at the press conference were about Manziel. Even with all the other stuff, the media horde and spectacle just make him not worth it

Rams are the one team I could see taking a flier, aside from Jerruh

JABEE

The thing about Johnny is that his teammates get sick of answering questions about him every day. When Barnidge signed his extension like 60% of the questions at the press conference were about Manziel. Even with all the other stuff, the media horde and spectacle just make him not worth it

Jefferey Lurie is an owner that doesn't seem to mind embracing distractions.

TO, Vick, Tebow. The Eagles were extremely close to signing Randy Moss and almost had him, but were beat out by the Pats.

As a lifelong Browns fan:

PLEASE GET RID OF JOHNNY

Holy shit he is literally the worst fucking player they're had off the field wise since the team came back.

eznark

Banned
I think Manziel and Pederson would be a nice fit. His offense allows for a lot of boots and rolling out of the pocket and he is willing to take more chances downfield than Smith. Could be nice.

Line_HTX

We better take a quarterback or RIOT!

I am getting sick and tired of taking defensive players only to have nothing happen because the offense never scores.

Take a QB in the 1st Round or else.

We better take a quarterback or RIOT!

I am getting sick and tired of taking defensive players only to have nothing happen because the offense never scores.
I swear to god they better not draft anything not QBs, RBs, WRs or TEs.

I'd be so much better with losing if they could JUST. FUCKING. SCORE.

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt

Silly. Apparently Gil didn't follow Manziel's college career. He was the same way at A&M and clearly told everyone he wasn't going to change. Well, he wasn't lying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom