• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

The worst of all that is kave thinking Ray Farmer would be the GOAT as GM. Possibly the greatest swing and miss this forum has ever seen

He's been fucking incredible for the Packers. Looking forward to seeing what he does with a full off-season in the program and being able to fully participate in McCarthy's QB school.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a totally raw kid make so much progress from draft day to the pre-season as he did last year.
People forget he was a first round pick at one point. That UCLA team was dogshit and he did fairly well considering how fucked that Oline there was.

He was a solid steal in the draft for the Packers.

The worst of all that is kave thinking Ray Farmer would be the GOAT as GM. Possibly the greatest swing and miss this forum has ever seen
In his heart Ray is his hero.

eznark

Banned
People forget he was a first round pick at one point. That UCLA team was dogshit and he did fairly well considering how fucked that Oline there was.

He was a solid steal in the draft for the Packers.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...eparing-to-step-up-b99659908z1-367006111.html

This is a good article on him

When quarterback Brett Hundley walked through the door for his first day of work with the Green Bay Packers, he didn't need to refine any of the skills he developed at UCLA.

Rather he needed to forget them.

The amount of pro-style offense Hundley learned running the Bruins' spread offense was equal to the number of teams who selected him in the first four rounds of the 2015 NFL draft.

"When I got here it was a whole new thing," Hundley said. "Nothing translated. Really nothing."

There is even a funny Chip Kelly dig in there.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...eparing-to-step-up-b99659908z1-367006111.html

This is a good article on him

There is even a funny Chip Kelly dig in there.

disapproving-dog.jpg

ampere

Man. I wish we could have Greg Olson on the Pats. Really want that old double TE set back, but Chandler was such garbage this year. Dude can't run or catch it seems

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
It's kind of weird Bob Quinn hasn't reached out to Calvin Johnson yet. He said he would, but how much longer is he going to wait given the ESPN reports?

Lots of articles to starting to pop up about who we could get in Free Agency or the draft to replace Megatron. No one will ever replace Megatron but I'm intrigued by the prospect of Alshon Jefferey opposite of Golden Tate, Eric Ebron and Theo Riddick out of the backfield.

All depends on whether the Bears decide to put a franchise tag on him or not.

squicken

It's kind of weird Bob Quinn hasn't reached out to Calvin Johnson yet. He said he would, but how much longer is he going to wait given the ESPN reports?

Lots of articles to starting to pop up about who we could get in Free Agency or the draft to replace Megatron. No one will ever replace Megatron but I'm intrigued by the prospect of Alshon Jefferey opposite of Golden Tate, Eric Ebron and Theo Riddick out of the backfield.

All depends on whether the Bears decide to put a franchise tag on him or not.

I think a lot of this is face saving. His cap hit is way too high for his production and health risk. He gets to retire on his terms and the Lions don't have to cut a franchise icon

Also

However there should also be a concern for Detroit should Johnson demand to return to the club this year. It’s rare to see a player not only walk away from a $16 million salary let alone possibly having to pay $4.9million to do it. Sometimes retirements or threats of retirements can be used to help in contract decisions. Years ago we saw this with Brett Favre who retired (twice) only to unretire and then find his way to a different team. The Packers traded Favre in 2008 to the Jets following his return and the Jets released him after drafting a QB the following year and spending a good deal of money in free agency realizing a similar move would throw the team into chaos.

If Johnson were to return this summer the Lions would not only have his $12.9 million dead charge on the books but would then reinstate his $16M salary bringing his total cap number to nearly $29 million. Considering the Lions would have prepared all offseason for life without Johnson, this would put them in a position where they would be unable to keep him on the roster and comply with the cap. Johnson would gain a tremendous amount of leverage and they would have no choice but to release him or sign him to a new deal with very favorable terms. So if Johnson was really looking for a clean break from the Lions without having to ask for a trade this would be the way to do it. That would be a pretty impressive move by the player if it ever happened.
http://overthecap.com/what-happens-when-calvin-johnson-retires/

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I think a lot of this is face saving. His cap hit is way too high for his production and health risk. He gets to retire on his terms and the Lions don't have to cut a franchise icon

Also

http://overthecap.com/what-happens-when-calvin-johnson-retires/

It would be a horrificly stupid PR move by the Lions if Calvin wanted to come back and we cut him because we didn't want to pay him the $16 Million owed on his contract. I agree his production doesn't warrant the money, but he's done so much for the franchise it's really a drop in the bucket for one more season. I think we're making a run, with or without him but I want him to be apart of that run.

We still have money to operate in Free Agency even if Calvin does come back with that $16 Million hit.

I don't think the Lions ownership, starting with Martha Ford, would allow it.

Quinn made a great first move by retaining Caldwell and has revamped the whole front office from the scouting department to the strength coaches.

It's weird because I honestly have no idea how he's going to draft, what his draft philosophy is and what his overall philosophy is when it comes to the cap and free agency.

I always thought Martin Mayhew was a solid GM and made some really solid moves. Signing Golden Tate III for 3 years and $30 Million? Brilliant, same with his signing of Glover Quin over Dashon Goldston. He had his hit and misses in the draft but he still had an eye for talent.

Even though Jahvid Best and Titus Young could be characterized as "misses" they were both extremely talented players who had their careers ended in different ways.

Nate Burleson - "I'd be angry at the Lions if I were Calvin Johnson

TheFatOne

Haven't kept up with the thread so apologies if this was posted, but here is a good article about the Pats vs Broncos game Brayn Stork was tipping the snapBryan Stork was tipping the snap. [/url] I heard Matt Light go off about this a while ago, but wasn't sure what he meant. Crazy how such a small thing can have a huge impact, but it makes sense given the athletes on that dline. Not to say this was the only reason they were beating their guys, but having the snap count is obviously a huge advantage. Which brings me to my next point. Just an enormous coaching failure, and I can see why they fired the oline coach. Can't believe no one picked this up during the game. For a team that is generally well coached this was a big failure.

Man. I wish we could have Greg Olson on the Pats. Really want that old double TE set back, but Chandler was such garbage this year. Dude can't run or catch it seems

I'm still pretty embarassed I thought Chandler would be great for the Pats this year. Thought he would put up better numbers than he did in Buffalo. Was so so wrong about him. He's so damn soft.

From your article:

"I might walk away and retire if I heard all those rumors, and I knew deep down inside how much I had done for this organization, and how many stars I had made inside this organization. I mean, I benefitted off of Calvin's play, just like everyone in that locker room. Just like people in the front office. Just like ownership of the team. I'm not saying that's the reason he might retire. I'm just saying what Nate Burleson would do. I'd be mad."

9plIpoNq.jpg

ampere

Haven't kept up with the thread so apologies if this was posted, but here is a good article about the Pats vs Broncos game Bryan Stork was tipping the snap. I heard Matt Light go off about this a while ago, but wasn't sure what he meant. Crazy how such a small thing can have a huge impact, but it makes sense given the athletes on that dline. Not to say this was the only reason they were beating their guys, but having the snap count is obviously a huge advantage. Which brings me to my next point. Just an enormous coaching failure, and I can see why they fired the oline coach. Can't believe no one picked this up during the game. For a team that is generally well coached this was a big failure.

Hadn't seen this yet, but wow... Miller already doesn't need much time to get to Brady, to give him your snap count is absurd and explains how fast he could get to Brady

I don't get why David Andrews wasn't starting center as much in the second half of the year. He did great outside of a few mistakes (including a costly holding call against the Giants), but to see Stork contributing to Brady getting hit as much as he did is so frustrating.

I'm still pretty embarassed I thought Chandler would be great for the Pats this year. Thought he would put up better numbers than he did in Buffalo. Was so so wrong about him. He's so damn soft.

My dad and I thought he'd be great too. Sucks, but maybe he couldn't learn the offense well enough? We usually cut guys who can't learn the offense at all so it's weird.

Bread

Banned
Haven't kept up with the thread so apologies if this was posted, but here is a good article about the Pats vs Broncos game Bryan Stork was tipping the snap. I heard Matt Light go off about this a while ago, but wasn't sure what he meant. Crazy how such a small thing can have a huge impact, but it makes sense given the athletes on that dline. Not to say this was the only reason they were beating their guys, but having the snap count is obviously a huge advantage. Which brings me to my next point. Just an enormous coaching failure, and I can see why they fired the oline coach. Can't believe no one picked this up during the game. For a team that is generally well coached this was a big failure.
yup good riddance to that o-line coach, can't believe this went unchecked the entire game. no half time adjustments for something like that?! unbelievable.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
From your article:

As much as I love Megatron, Matthew Stafford is a baller with or without Megatron. The two were perfect for each other but as a QB Stafford has all the traits of a great QB whether it be arm strength, accuracy, footwork, leadership etc.

The dude completed 70 percent of his passes during that stretch, which constitutes the most accurate eight games in team history. His QB rating in that stretch was 110.1, which would have led the NFL if extrapolated for the full season. For the year, his completion percentage was 67.2, which ranked fifth in the league, and his QB rating was 97.0, which ranked ninth -- one spot behind Cam Newton. Stafford was all kinds of dreck in the first half, sure, but who wasn't? And his huge second half, under the direction of Jim Bob Cooter, was absolutely artful.

Matthew Stafford MLive 2015 Offensive Player of the Year

Five other key stats for Stafford in 2015:

1. Stafford had the highest red zone completion percentage in 2015 (the whole season, not just the final eight games) of any quarterback in the NFL. He completed 48 of 73 passes in the red zone for a 65.75 percentage. (Brady's was 61.70 and Manning's was 58.33.)

2. Also Stafford ranked third with red zone touchdown passes with 26 behind Brady with 29 and Carson Palmer with 27. Of the three Stafford was the only one without an interception in the red zone

Matthew Stafford's 5 most impressive stats from 2015

All those done with the 32nd run game in the NFL

But he sucks amirite

JABEE

I remember Thanksgiving. Billy Davis kept running single man against Johnson without safety help.

Our backup corner came in after Carrol was injured, and Billy Davis didn't adjust at all.

I remember Thanksgiving. Billy Davis kept running single man against Johnson without safety help.

Our backup corner came in after Carrol was injured, and Billy Davis didn't adjust at all.

Any time you can have a rookie play man to man against Megatron you gotta do it.

Hindl

Not only that, but our backup was Eric Rowe! I think that was his first time with extended playing time, although he played some snaps before against the Jets. Sending a rookie against Megatron with no help was so idiotic. Rowe bounced back in the following games but goddamn that was infuriating

TheFatOne

Thanks a lot man.
mouse-3.gif

The up one

Sorry about that. Was skimming the thread while doing work.
Hadn't seen this yet, but wow... Miller already doesn't need much time to get to Brady, to give him your snap count is absurd and explains how fast he could get to Brady

I don't get why David Andrews wasn't starting center as much in the second half of the year. He did great outside of a few mistakes (including a costly holding call against the Giants), but to see Stork contributing to Brady getting hit as much as he did is so frustrating.

My dad and I thought he'd be great too. Sucks, but maybe he couldn't learn the offense well enough? We usually cut guys who can't learn the offense at all so it's weird.

Yea just a colossal coaching failure. Matt Light was calling this out immediately after the game. Dude was going off about this, but I don't know the intricacies of the oline to get what he was saying. He just kept saying things in general terms without any specifics. He said that games like this they used to have 5 seperate silent counts, but in the AFC championship game they only had two. I'll see if I can find a link. I'm not sure if I'm remembering that correctly. Apparently Matt Chatham was tweeting about it during the game. Really big fuck up on the coaches. Not sure how no one picked this up.

yup good riddance to that o-line coach, can't believe this went unchecked the entire game. no half time adjustments for something like that?! unbelievable.
See what I don't get is that someone else could have seen this right? I mean Belichick, McDaniels, or heck even Brady could have caught this but didn't. Not sure how something like this goes unnoticed from a team that is so detail oriented. Goes to show you though how seemingly small things can have a huge impact on the game.

JABEE

Any time you can have a rookie play man to man against Megatron you gotta do it.

Not only that, but our backup was Eric Rowe! I think that was his first time with extended playing time, although he played some snaps before against the Jets. Sending a rookie against Megatron with no help was so idiotic. Rowe bounced back in the following games but goddamn that was infuriating

I think the Eagles defense may actually be pretty good this season. Billy Davis was the worst.

He should have been fired after his first season with the Eagles. I think Davis was Chip Kelly's biggest mistake. Now he's going to have difficulties hiring anyone to coordinate his defense. Davis made it look like Kelly will always have shitty defenses because of his philosophy. Maybe it's true, I don't know, but Davis made everything 10x worse. There is no question in my mind the Eagles will be at worst an average defense next season. There is too much talent on all levels.

I am also looking forward to getting Hicks back. Seeing Jacorey Shapherd actually get a chance to play will be interesting.

There is also no way that Kiko Alonso will stay as shitty as he was after the ACL injury last season.

Schwartz was prepared to use him last season in Detroit.

Barwin - Cox - Logan - Graham
Alonso - Hicks - Kendricks
Carroll - Thurmond - Jenkins - Maxwell

I think it will be interesting to see how the Eagles improve their secondary. I'm also not sure if Thurmond will be back. The Eagles really need to bring in a good nickel corner to take responsibilities off Malcolm Jenkins and allow him to do more in the run game. It will also be interesting to see if Ryans is gone. I think he's done.

I think the Eagles defense may actually be pretty good this season. Billy Davis was the worst.

He should have been fired after his first season with the Eagles. I think Davis was Chip Kelly's biggest mistake. Now he's going to have difficulties hiring anyone to coordinate his defense. Davis made it look like Kelly will always have shitty defenses because of his philosophy. Maybe it's true, I don't know, but Davis made everything 10x worse. There is no question in my mind the Eagles will be at worst an average defense next season. There is too much talent on all levels.

I am also looking forward to getting Hicks back. Seeing Jacorey Shapherd actually get a chance to play will be interesting.

There is also no way that Kiko Alonso will stay as shitty as he was after the ACL injury last season.

Schwartz was prepared to use him last season in Detroit.

Barwin - Cox - Logan - Graham
Alonso - Hicks - Kendricks
Carroll - Thurmond - Jenkins - Maxwell

I think it will be interesting to see how the Eagles improve their secondary. I'm also not sure if Thurmond will be back. The Eagles really need to bring in a good nickel corner to take responsibilities off Malcolm Jenkins and allow him to do more in the run game. It will also be interesting to see if Ryans is gone. I think he's done.

Losing Thurmond would be such a disaster. They have looked for a 2nd good safety since forever it feels like, and Chip finally found one. Hopefully Schwartz can do a good job with this group. The worst thing by far about next season is if the defense is better every idiot will say it is because of the slower pace, and not because they have a real DC. The anti-Chip brigade will be insufferable next year.

Pepiope

Losing Thurmond would be such a disaster. They have looked for a 2nd good safety since forever it feels like, and Chip finally found one. Hopefully Schwartz can do a good job with this group. The worst thing by far about next season is if the defense is better every idiot will say it is because of the slower pace, and not because they have a real DC. The anti-Chip brigade will be insufferable next year.
Chip's pace on offense was part of the problem, theres no denying that.

Davis being Davis was a bigger issue, but the ineffectiveness of the offense certainty took a toll on the defense throughout each game and throughout the season.

It's part of the reason why Chip had to settle on a DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom