• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro

One of these will be sent to Africa soon:

GJiZFx6.png

Efk1yQG.png

tumblr_lz3le2210S1qd6kw4o1_400.jpg

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Matthew Stafford was nation's top QB recruit over Tim Tebow 10 years ago

Colorado State coach Mike Bobo, Stafford's recruiter at Georgia, explained how. (Editor's note: The conversation was edited for space and clarity)

How did you find him at first? When did you think you might get him?

Mike Bobo: “Coach [Will] Friend tells this story all the time, he picked up the tape and it said: ‘Matthew.’ It’s not Matt, it’s gotta be Matthew Stafford on it. It had a picture of him and he’s got kind of that long hair and this baby face. I’m like, ‘Look at this guy, I bet he’s a player.’ I was kind of being sarcastic. Then I put on the tape and it was about two throws and I about fell out of my chair trying to find the phone and call his high school coach. That’s a true story. You see the cover and the baby-faced kid and he looked a little chubby and I was like, ‘This guy, I guarantee you he’s not going to be any good.’ It took about two throws and he’s throwing to two little guys, I think they were twins, and he’s throwing BBs. Coach Friend tells that story all the time, how Coach Bobo didn’t even want to put the tape in. It didn’t take long to see his natural arm strength and arm talent that he had. It was something I’ve never seen before. Sometimes it’s hard to tell from highlight tape a guy’s arm strength, but his just jumped off his hand.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lio...ns-top-qb-recruit-over-tim-tebow-10-years-ago

:jnc @ the baby face comment.

That'sOurQB.gif

Godslay

Banned
Lets throw out pey pey greatness at one and doning. On all 4 runs to the SB Manning currently has 16 td 12 INT currently 1-2. On 6 SB runs Brady had 35 TD and 14 INT 4-2. Brady threw more TDs in his last 2B runs and fewer picks than manning in 4 lol

Manning has put together a more complete career at QB. You can pull these slivers of the total out of your pocket, and that's fine.

Manning's total numbers are considerably better, more career 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives, played with worse defenses, special teams, and coaches and still won and was incredibly consistent performance wise YOY. Not to mention leading 2 separate teams to multiple SB berths. Changed the game in terms of how QB was played as well.

You can't hold this season against Manning, and ignore Brady's barn burning performances in the first three seasons of his career where he was the definition of a game manager. He's obviously evolved since then to achieve numbers slightly below Manning on average.

It's cool that Brady has these great team achievements with Belichick, and he's contributed to those achievements as well. As an individual QB he's slightly below Manning in terms of being the best at the position.

If we were going by your metrics it would probably be:

Montana
Bradshaw
Brady

Moore should have been executed at the 50 yard line after the game.

It would have saved Mech and I some heartbreak.
I'm not sure they should have waited until after the game.

We're all assuming that Kelly wanted Kaepernick, but maybe the plan all along was to draft his ideal franchise QB with the 7th pick (or trade up). That's a bad situation for any QB, he'll have the shortest possible leash. Kaep needs to go somewhere that will give him a chance to fuck up while he learns to take on more offensive responsibility.
I'm not sure Kaep can be more offensive than he already is.

Crisco

Banned
Man, the matchups in this game really favor the Panthers, especially on defense. All the Broncos horizontal stuff just isn't going to be effective against our speedy linebackers. Our defensive line should win all day against below average tackles and guards. They don't really have that speedy slot receiver or tight end to exploit our main weaknesses on defense, and Peyton may not be able to make the necessary throws to begin with.

Obviously their defense is not to be taken lightly, but the Cardinals and Seahawks were supposed to have great defenses too. I think Wade will come in with a solid plan but the problem is our offense will force the Broncos out of what they are most effective at, namely pinning their ears back and racing to the QB. Will their safeties be able to come up and make tackles on Cam and Stewart? Will Miller and Ware be able to remain disciplined against the read option while still getting to the QB? Who's guarding Olsen?

I think we ultimately have more questions than the Broncos (or any current team) has answers for on defense, and we'll eventually score some TDs in this game which Peyton will have to match. I don't think he can do it against our defense, not enough to outscore us for a full 60 minutes.

Eleuin

Can't believe Kurt Warner was the last MVP to win the super bowl, Manning is going to pull an elwaycopter and somehow win in his worst year.

Godslay

Banned
Man, the matchups in this game really favor the Panthers, especially on defense. All the Broncos horizontal stuff just isn't going to be effective against our speedy linebackers. Our defensive line should win all day against below average tackles and guards. They don't really have that speedy slot receiver or tight end to exploit our main weaknesses on defense, and Peyton may not be able to make the necessary throws to begin with.

Obviously their defense is not to be taken lightly, but the Cardinals and Seahawks were supposed to have great defenses too. I think Wade will come in with a solid plan but the problem is our offense will force the Broncos out of what they are most effective at, namely pinning their ears back and racing to the QB. Will their safeties be able to come up and make tackles on Cam and Stewart? Will Miller and Ware be able to remain disciplined against the read option while still getting to the QB? Who's guarding Olsen?

I think we ultimately have more questions than the Broncos (or any current team) has answers for on defense, and we'll eventually score some TDs in this game which Peyton will have to match. I don't think he can do it against our defense, not enough to outscore us for a full 60 minutes.

If it was only so easy.

squicken

Milana stuff can be overblown but golly she looks good there

Worst defense to win a Super Bowl would probably be either the Saints or most recent Giants team

Sanjuro

Manning has put together a more complete career at QB. You can pull these slivers of the total out of your pocket, and that's fine.

Manning's total numbers are considerably better, more career 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives, played with worse defenses, special teams, and coaches and still won and was incredibly consistent performance wise YOY. Not to mention leading 2 separate teams to multiple SB berths. Changed the game in terms of how QB was played as well.

You can't hold this season against Manning, and ignore Brady's barn burning performances in the first three seasons of his career where he was the definition of a game manager. He's obviously evolved since then to achieve numbers slightly below Manning on average.

It's cool that Brady has these great team achievements with Belichick, and he's contributed to those achievements as well. As an individual QB he's slightly below Manning in terms of being the best at the position.

If we were going by your metrics it would probably be:

Montana
Bradshaw
Brady

I don't see Brock here.

squicken

Manning vs Brady, for those that believe in EPA and such

http://www.footballperspective.com/guest-post-brady-vs-manning-and-playoff-support/

Fun comment

What blows my mind is that the 2008 game in San Diego -- which I will always remember as the Mike Scifres game -- was only the 5th worst playoff game for Manning w/r/t special teams support!

-- The Chicago Super Bowl featured a Hester KO return TD and a missed 36-yarder from Vinatieri to end the first half: .

-- The Seattle Super Bowl was obviously a blowout but it did feature a SEA KR TD and three of Denver's five kickoff returns giving the Broncos the ball inside the 16

-- The New Orleans Super Bowl featured the big onside kick and also a Stover missed 51-yard FG while Hartley hit from 44, 46, and 47

-- The Titans game doesn't have any standout plays, but a big EPA swing on ST of 10 points

Finally, we get to the Scifres game.

-- On the first drive, he punted 51 yards, no return, switching field position from the SDG 39 to the IND 10.

-- The next punt was 58 yards, 4 return, switching from SDG 27 to IND 19.

-- The third punt was a net of 50, going from the SDG 47 to the IND 3.

-- Then, the best one, a 67 yarder with a 2-yard return, switching from the SDG 28 to the IND 7.

-- In the 2nd half, he punted from the IND 47 with a 38-yarder and no return, pinning IND at the 9.

-- Oh, and with 2 minutes left, he punted from the SD 47 and pinned the Colts at the 1!!

That's punts that pinned the Colts at the 1, 3, 7, and 9, and three punts with nets of 65 yards (yes, this one deserves to be counted twice), 51, and 54 yards. I'm surprised this only gave SD +6 points of EP on punting.

Anyway, that's some bad ST help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom