• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

Injuries are definitely a concern with the way Cam plays, but the Panthers aren't going to stop using him on designed power runs. That's the secret sauce for our entire offense, having a QB who can pull in a safety on run support and also complete deep balls. You can account for a mobile QB who scrambles with a spy, but with Cam you're talking about any play potentially being a designed run where the best athlete on the field gets the ball with 7-8 blockers in front of him.

I don't think his long term durability will be an issue though, as long as we keep him protected when he's looking to pass in the pocket. He's also become smarter about sliding and running out of bounds lately, doesn't do that weird head first forward fall as much. The only time you really see him give up his body on runs is at the goal line.

Yeah, I think it was against the Titans or Bucs where he dove completely headfirst. It's scary but not as risky at the GL since the players don't have much room to get a headstart on speed. I think long term, it'd be ideal to avoid such contact.

Luck still has the highest ceiling peak to peak of any QB under 28 years old. One bad season doesn't change that.

Being doomed to play in Indy behind that O-line might tho.

Bowser

As much as I like Cam, I don' think he would be above Luck in terms of building a team around. If the Panthers continue to use to him the way they have (i.e., running draws and shit) he won't last a long time.

Oh yeah, most definitely, he's gonna get fucked up if he keeps surrendering his body on some of these runs.

Vick used to get destroyed playing in a similar way.

Luck: 9 missed starts in 4 seasons
Newton: 2 missed starts in 5 seasons (1 due to a literal car crash)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
On the way to work and then suddenly, PUPPY BOWL:

IZMYqMf.png

pgrame1.png

Striker

Could just be the size of the market, but I have read like 8k articles linking him to the Giants
Reminds me of the Canty situation. But then Canty got injured in his first season (after never missing a game in Dallas).

Also saw The Cleve is talking with an extension for WR Benjamin. He was a long shot to hit free agency.

Come play with Eli and OBJ, Marvin Jones!

Godslay

Banned
I wonder if Denver can pay both Malik Jackson and Von Miller this offseason. They are losing so much talent. Helps to have Peyton and Ware off the books but Ware is still earning his money.

If they want both, they can get both.

It's just a matter of whether or not Elway wants to pay the $11M+. Which looks more and more likely he won't.

As far as losing talent, they'll be fine. Most of the defense will remain intact. Todd Davis will supplant Trevathan most likely, and I could see Antonio Smith signing another 1 year deal unless he retires. B. Marshall is a RFA, so he'll be back. Bruton will be resigned.

Aside from those guys, the defense remains the same as Von will be signed. Ware could retire or be cut, in that case S. Barrett takes over for him and we save the cash.

On offense, you have Mathis, VD, Caldwell, Hillman, Norwood, Harris and Oz as UFA. I think Oz gets signed, and the rest of the guys walk. Mathis might come back, but I'm not sure they resign him. Anderson is a RFA, so he's more than likely back. Heurerman should supplant VD. Clady will either restructure or be cut, saving a ton of cash. There are other options as well, and the OL will look similar but different next year.

There is some roster churn, but I don't think it's anything extraordinary. The main thing I am watching is how the OL will be rebuilt. There are alot of options there. Mainly at what happens at LT, RG, and RT.

Either way I think they figure it out, and it's we are in good shape money and talent wise. Might not be as good right away due to the QB inexperience, but that's okay.

eznark

Banned
Honestly I think Philbin has proven himself in the non big picture roll. He'll probably do fine.
They say people often get raised to one rank higher than they should be in their field of work. Coordinator is most likely his real peak.

Philbin didn't work out as a head coach for 3 years so his previous 28 excellent years as a coach are null and void.

Honestly I think Philbin has proven himself in the non big picture roll. He'll probably do fine.
They say people often get raised to one rank higher than they should be in their field of work. Coordinator is most likely his real peak.

He got demoted to oline coach though...which is hilarious considering the state of the Dolphins oline during his tenure there.

eznark

Banned
He got demoted to oline coach though...which is hilarious considering the state of the Dolphins oline during his tenure there.

It's weird that in three years you did literally zero research into the guy you incessantly criticized. He has coached oline for longer than you have been alive probably.

It's weird that in three years you did literally zero research into the guy you incessantly criticized. He has coached oline for longer than you have been alive probably.

Good for him and of course I did, just like I've done a ton of research on Gase since he was hired, doesn't change the fact that he made terrible decisions on our team in regards to the Oline. (among other things). I wish Philbin nothing but good luck going forward, dude is a really nice guy and I got nothing against him, he gave it his all and failed.

Bowser

On blitzing Cam:

DEN blitzes 37.8% (6th-highest; incl. playoffs) Cam vs blitz since Wk 10 (10 gms) 71/98 comp (72.4%) 889 yd (9.1 YPA) 16/1 TD/INT 135.6 QB rating

Duxxy3

Worcester Polytechnic (1986–1987)
Offensive line coach

Yikes.

Bowser

What's your source on the Den blitz %?

I'm not sure if this is true...

Pat Thorman of PFF. He did add afterward:

LT: Broncos blitz rate fluctuates a lot depending on opponent (22.5% vs Ben & 16.4% vs Brady in POs). Good bet they won’t blitz Cam often.

Is that his entire o line coaching experience?

No, it's extensive but hardly impressive, bunch of no name colleges.

Worcester Polytechnic (1986–1987)
Offensive line coach
U.S. Merchant Marine (1998–1999)
Offensive line coach
Allegheny (1990–1993)
Offensive coordinator & offensive line coach
Ohio (1994)
Offensive line coach
Northeastern (1995–1996)
Harvard (1997–1998)
Iowa (1999–2002)
Green Bay Packers (2003)
Assistant offensive line coach
Green Bay Packers (2004–2005)
Tight ends coach & assistant offensive line coach
Green Bay Packers (2006)
Offensive line coach

Wooo!! Tannehill out of the top 100, though Int haven't really been an issue with him.

Farooq

Banned
On blitzing Cam:

DEN blitzes 37.8% (6th-highest; incl. playoffs) Cam vs blitz since Wk 10 (10 gms) 71/98 comp (72.4%) 889 yd (9.1 YPA) 16/1 TD/INT 135.6 QB rating

I think Cam's numbers have more to do with how well he is protected rather than how well he does when facing pressure. To state the obvious, Panthers regularly employ 6-7 man protections in passing situations. Defenses aren't going to play man coverage behind their blitz concepts against a mobile QB (Or generally play man against Cam in passing situations). Receivers are bound to find voids in zones when given time.

When facing actual pressure, Cam's numbers get worse (like most QBs). Which is why Wade's pass rush and pressure concepts vs Panthers max protections is the match up I look forward to the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom