• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If liking Fire Emblem makes me an animu or whatever the hell you kids say these days, then damnit I'm one too!

5aXdIgh.gif

Godslay

Banned
Pat Thorman of PFF. He did add afterward:

LT: Broncos blitz rate fluctuates a lot depending on opponent (22.5% vs Ben & 16.4% vs Brady in POs). Good bet they won’t blitz Cam often.

I see the Tweet.

Phillips will always mix in blitzes, but his definition of a blitz is 6 men. He calls a 5 man rush a dog. Semantics basically.

I wouldn't be afraid to blitz Cam in spots. Just have to cover well in order to be effective. Just depends on how risky you want to get with the blitzes. Phillips isn't afraid to send a man blitz, but that's probably the most risky with Carolina's speed at WR. Could beat the hell out of the WRs on the line, but if Ginn gets out for instance it could be a big play. I wouldn't be surprised to see zone and pattern match blitzes in spots this game. A bit safer and you get to mix in man and zone coverage. Not to the clip of 30%+, but you'll see them. Really how effective they'll be will be based on the coverage imo.

squicken

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
In a few minutes on @nflnetwork, I'll shed some light on the murky future in Philly for #Eagles RB DeMarco Murray...

hmm not around a TV to watch this but wonder what the deal is

e: eh a lot of maybe. Maybe Demarco gets cuts. Maybe he takes a pay cuy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...gles-appear-headed-toward-staredown-on-future

I guess the notable thing is that Pederson doesn't really see him as a fit for his offense, which isn't surprising.

Bowser

I think Cam's numbers have more to do with how well he is protected rather than how well he does when facing pressure. To state the obvious, Panthers regularly employ 6-7 man protections in passing situations. Defenses aren't going to play man coverage behind their blitz concepts against a mobile QB (Or generally play man against Cam in passing situations). Receivers are bound to find voids in zones when given time.

When facing actual pressure, Cam's numbers get worse (like most QBs). Which is why Wade's pass rush and pressure concepts vs Panthers max protections is the match up I look forward to the most.

What's your source and what exactly do you mean by "actual pressure"?

Per Football Outsiders:

Code:
Cam Newton by No. of Pass Rushers, 2015
Pass Rushers	C%	Yd/At	NetY/P	TD	Int	QBR
3-4 rushers	61.1%	7.48	6.53	16	7	68.9
5 rushers	61.6%	8.49	7.53	12	3	78.4
6-7 rushers	53.4%	7.78	6.62	7	0	84.5

Farooq

Banned

Per Football Outsiders:

Code:

Moving Cam Newton from his spot.

Newton’s passer rating is a meager 71.1 (six TDs, six INTs) under pressure this season, and when he is forced to scramble, the former Auburn star has not been a dynamic threat this season.

Link.

Godslay

Banned

Per Football Outsiders:

Code:

NM beat me to it.

I'm assuming he's referring to this:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/02/01/pro-why-the-broncos-will-win-super-bowl-50/

Taking away the passing game will be the first step for the Broncos, and they certainly have the players to make Newton uncomfortable inside and outside the pocket. Newton’s passer rating is a meager 71.1 (six TDs, six INTs) under pressure this season, and when he is forced to scramble, the former Auburn star has not been a dynamic threat this season. Newton was forced to scramble 58 times this year, converting 29 of those into runs for 222 yards; but as a passer when scrambling, he has completed only nine passes for 126 with no touchdowns, one interception, and only two passes of 20 yards or more.

Dealing with pressure, is a bit different than picking up a blitz.

Hindl

Is Fire Emblem considered anime?

FE has always been anime. Anime has just gotten really pandering and creepy, and FE has followed

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
In a few minutes on @nflnetwork, I'll shed some light on the murky future in Philly for #Eagles RB DeMarco Murray...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...gles-appear-headed-toward-staredown-on-future

I guess the notable thing is that Pederson doesn't really see him as a fit for his offense, which isn't surprising.

Kind of a dumb article. He costs too much to cut, so the only options are keep as is, a restructure, or a trade. I doubt anyone is trading, so we try to restructure and otherwise just deal with it.

Pederson's comment makes sense though even just looking at our O Line. Aside from Peters, the line is smaller and athletic and designed for zone running. Murray isn't great at those stretch plays, so he doesn't really work well with our O Line anyway. Add in the WCO concepts and Murray isn't a great fit.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

I don't see how any of this is anything other than speculation on Rapoport's part. And when did Pederson say anything about not seeing Murray as a fit? I must have missed that.

I also can't see him getting cut or taking a pay cut. Worst case scenario they trade him back to Dallas for a low pick.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I'm going to need every high priced running back to get cut and/or take a pay cut before the Steelers sign Le'Veon Bell long term. kthxbye

I don't see how any of this is anything other than speculation on Rapoport's part. And when did Pederson say anything about not seeing Murray as a fit? I must have missed that.

I also can't see him getting cut or taking a pay cut. Worst case scenario they trade him back to Dallas for a low pick.

You can't see him taking a pay cut?

If the Eagles cut him, who's going to honor that massive contract with the output he had last year? He has no leverage.

That's why he'll take a pay cut. If the Eagles cut him his moneymaking days are over.

They may just cut him anyway. Didn't he end the season third on the depth chart?

Sort of yeah. I'd rather they cut him than Sproles. I'd rather trade him for like a 4th or 5th round pick to Dallas. I just would rather have a body than nothing and a $10m cap hit. Same reason Riley Cooper has been around so long.

Godslay

Banned

Having a little animu in you isn't bad, just don't wander too deep into the rabbit hole or else you will end up like Cajun. Bouncing and squeeing during all hours of the night.

Yeah, I'm mostly joking.

Fire Emblem is a good game. Have no clue what the hell is going on in terms of story, nor do I really care I suppose. That's about as deep as I'll go though.

Hindl

That's why he'll take a pay cut. If the Eagles cut him his moneymaking days are over.

They may just cut him anyway. Didn't he end the season third on the depth chart?

Yeah but it's still more economical to keep him. Someone correct me but it Looks like it's $8M to keep him vs $13M to cut. May as well keep him on and hope he gets better. No one is taking that contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom