• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to see consoles disappearing considering that they're selling more than ever right now. It might not be as big a hit as the 360 was, but a massive amount of people are still buying xbones.

I am pretty sure that in the last thread with life to date sales numbers, the Xbox One was still tracking ahead of the 360. The 360 was a huge success for MS and I have no doubt that the Xbox IOne will be as well. Especially now that Phil Spencer is the head of the Xbox division, I definitely expect another home console from MS.

I am pretty sure that in the last thread with life to date sales numbers, the Xbox One was still tracking ahead of the 360. The 360 was a huge success for MS and I have no doubt that the Xbox IOne will be as well. Especially now that Phil Spencer is the head of the Xbox division, I definitely expect another home console from MS.

I don't follow this stuff anymore...is it tracking ahead in all the regions it sells in or just the US?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Don't know why MS would stop making consoles. It's just a cheap pc with an overlay on the o/s and they get a bunch of suckers to pay for online gaming.

I don't follow this stuff anymore...is it tracking ahead in all the regions it sells in or just the US?

US only. The Xbox brand even at its height (360) was a two territory brand at best (UK and the US). Yes it sold worldwide but that's primarily where it made its muster if you will. With Sony now holding the UK, the One is primarily a US based device and its doing well here. The only reason it isn't perceived as doing better is because the PS4 is what it is.

Don't know why MS would stop making consoles. It's just a cheap pc with an overlay on the o/s and they get a bunch of suckers to pay for online gaming.
I don't believe they will either. With digital sales being what they are and how they've grown though, I do think we'll see a bigger shift into the vision Microsoft had for the Xbox One initially from all of these manufacturers (except for maybe Nintendo who just does whatever the hell they want). An online enabled, primarily digital box. Mind you with some very perceivable differences (physical isn't going anywhere) and a helluva lot better PR around it.

bionic77

Hard to see consoles disappearing considering that they're selling more than ever right now. It might not be as big a hit as the 360 was, but a massive amount of people are still buying xbones.
When the Blackberry was tearing shit up it was hard to see it dying 5 years later but that is how tech is.

You don't look to the past or the present to see where it is going.

ARM tech is substantially cheaper than the high end parts they are currently using for consoles. This is going to get disrupted on price and convenience.

NeoGAF is not the usual market for this shit. People here still buy 3DS and Vita and other stuff in a market that gots it lunch and dinner taken by tablets and phones. They are still around but not as relevant as they used to be. I still think the same thing is going to happen to consoles. Someone will make a high powered ARM box that is under $100 bucks with a Xbox controller ripoff and a decent marketplace of apps. All you really need is a Minecraft, Madden and COD rip offs and sell them for $20 with more money made on bullshit micro transactions.

I have seen the future boys and its s horrible!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
When the Blackberry was tearing shit up it was hard to see it dying 5 years later but that is how tech is.

ARM tech is substantially cheaper than the high end parts they are currently using for consoles. This is going to get disrupted on price and convenience.

NeoGAF is not the usual market for this shit. People here still buy 3DS and Vita and other stuff in a market that gots it lunch and dinner taken by tablets and phones. They are still around but not as relevant as they used to be. I still think the same thing is going to happen to consoles. Someone will make a high powered ARM box that is under $100 bucks with a Xbox controller ripoff and a decent marketplace of apps. All you really need is a Minecraft, Madden and COD rip offs and sell them for $20 with more money made on bullshit micro transactions.

Join us in PC land...we have VR headsets!

I don't think they'll stop.

I think the time of the big 3 (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo) as the sole kings of the console space are at an end. Portability and cheap hardware is common and PC prices are dropping daily - I feel you're going to see a lot of competitors try to enter the fray with hardware offerings while letting the software be serviced by Steam, GOG or Origin.

I think MS and Sony know this and are trying to consolidate and establish an ecosystem unlike the PC (in which the prices are games are very elastic and online play is free).

I didn't know the Xbone was doing better in numbers than the 360 was. That's pretty surprising.

The console cycle is a much longer process than the phone cycle. The phone market dramatically shifting in 5 years isn't really surprising, where as the console market shifting in that timespan would be pretty shocking. I'm not saying that we're never gonna move past consoles, but as things are going it's hard to envision MS not releasing a new console and just making all their 1st party games Xbone/PC exclusive.

Hindl

I see MS shifting Xbox to more of a Steam deal, but not just a storefront. I see the Xbox app on Win 10 being the storefront just like Steam, but then an actual Xbox device that is essentially a Steam Machine: a locked down version of their system with a single set of specs and easy to plug in and play. This way they get the best of both worlds

Is a whole TB worth an extra 20 bucks? Yes right?

Absolutely. File sizes are always getting bigger

bionic77

I didn't know the Xbone was doing better in numbers than the 360 was. That's pretty surprising.

The console cycle is a much longer process than the phone cycle. The phone market dramatically shifting in 5 years isn't really surprising, where as the console market shifting in that timespan would be pretty shocking. I'm not saying that we're never gonna move past consoles, but as things are going it's hard to envision MS not releasing a new console and just making all their 1st party games Xbone/PC exclusive.
Everyone was starved for a new console.

If you take away the DS over 3DS sales and the death of the Wii U versus Wii how down is the console market compared to what it was 10 years ago? I feel like software is still pretty stable but I don't really pay enough attention to this shit.

I could see MS sticking around btw. No reason they can't play the same game as the rest of the field, I just see the model we have had for the past 30 years changing. We already moved away from high end hardware this gen. It is going to accelerate (thats my prediction) and we are going to go to cheap throwaway ARM boxes before the next one.

I could be wrong but I usually am not!

bionic77

I am a man of my word Xia!

(Hopefully my post history backs this claim up).

What are the odds that the new Batman Superman movie is actually good? The trailers have been a fucking train wreck and have spoiled pretty much everything in the movie, including the villain and the fact that Bats and Supes team up (which makes one question the title and premise of the movie). The newest trailer is decent but I would be shocked if this movie actually turns out to be good.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m3 minutes ago

Giants announced the hiring of former Lions GM Martin Mayhew as their director of football operations/special projects.

#PrayForFV

Respect

What are the odds that the new Batman Superman movie is actually good? The trailers have been a fucking train wreck and have spoiled pretty much everything in the movie, including the villain and the fact that Bats and Supes team up (which makes one question the title and premise of the movie). The newest trailer is decent but I would be shocked if this movie actually turns out to be good.

Yeah, trailers plus "Dawn of Justice" screams DC wants its Avengers. That killed any interest for me...it will have to be great for me to see it in theaters.

Depends on what your definition of good is. It wont be suicide squad good, no chance of that, but it could still be an enjoyable movie. Ben Affleck tends to be good in movies, and I am interested to see his Bruce Wayne. I like the guy that plays Superman well enough, and I am curious to see how Lex turns out. I think it will be an okay movie with some good parts.

It's going to be terrible, there is nothing about that movie that sounds/looks good.

I got a 5TB HDD for my XBO and I am over 30% full already. I cant even imagine the people that get every new release. The more space you can get the better for sure.

Absolutely. File sizes are always getting bigger

True, I went with the 3 TB, thanks!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ben Affleck tends to be good in movies

giphy.gif

bionic77

Bionic have you seen the new Batman vs Superman trailer? It looks a million times better then the last one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cle_rKBpZ28
Yeah the new trailer is much better than the old ones but it still doesn't make me feel good about the movie.

They seemed to have spoiled literally everything about the movie.

Two cool action sequences from the Batman doesn't make me feel any better about it movie. Seems like it is trying and failing to be a more serious version of the Avengers, which is also what the new Captain America seems to be going for.

People are idiots and I am sure this movie will make more than a billion dollars and GAF will find it to be one of the best movies of all time.

Yeah the new trailer is much better than the old ones but it still doesn't make me feel good about the movie.

They seemed to have spoiled literally everything about the movie.

Two cool action sequences from the Batman doesn't make me feel any better about it movie. Seems like it is trying and failing to be a more serious version of the Avengers, which is also what the new Captain America seems to be going for.

People are idiots and I am sure this movie will make more than a billion dollars and GAF will find it to be one of the best movies of all time.

I feel like you dont go into many movie threads if you think this is true. There is a huge backlash against comic movies in general and also there is usually a lot of hate towards big budget type movies. Even if this movie does turn out to be enjoyable it will get hammered for not being as good as the Dark Knight.

MechDX

What will it take for #Texans to make next year's Super Bowl? "Reliable quarterback play," Bob McNair says. Says no need for a superstar.

McNair's comments on the QB today are EXACTLY the same thing he said to me 11 months ago. His philosophy hasn't changed. #Texans

Tania Ganguli via Twitter.

I don't know how to react to this. I'm just numb now as they are going for the same old same old.

bionic77

I feel like you dont go into many movie threads if you think this is true. There is a huge backlash against comic movies in general and also there is usually a lot of hate towards big budget type movies. Even if this movie does turn out to be enjoyable it will get hammered for not being as good as the Dark Knight.
This is true. Just what I see from afar. In my defense I have not really seen any discussion in those threads that has made me want to go back...

Bionic I Believe in BvS, that should cure your concerns.
Don't you also believe in the Cleveland Browns?

I am going to need a little more convincing...

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m3 minutes ago

Giants announced the hiring of former Lions GM Martin Mayhew as their director of football operations/special projects.

#PrayForFV

Ha. Nothing to pray for (at least not yet!). He's being brought in to replace Matt Harriss who was one of our salary cap experts (who ironically was hired by the Lions). I don't have an issue with Mayhew in that role as he'll be working under Kevin Abrams (assistant general manager) who's managed our cap alongside Reese for years.

From the announcement:

Mayhew served as the general manager for the Lions from 2008-20015. He was fired by the Lions in November 2015. In his new position with the Giants, Mayhew will work with Assistant General Manager Kevin Abrams on all aspects of the salary cap, Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) compliance, and player contract negotiations. He will also handle special projects as assigned by General Manager Jerry Reese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom