• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Will the Browns ever win one is the proper question Generate.

You can't blame Browns-GAF for this Ez.. We like to forget and block out the pain. Also.. No. There's incompetence and then there's the Browns.

I don't blame Browns fans. Most of the discussion surrounding Cleveland is outsiders shitting on our storied franchise, we can't stop that.

The Eagles shit though is idiotic Eagles fans acting as though they are close to someday being relevant, when in reality they are a moribund dog shit franchise blessed to be in a pathetically awful division which keeps them around .500.

Hindl

Posted?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-withheld-millions-from-players-1456189111

In its review of the NFL’s financial calculations, lawyers and accountants with the players association found the league had created another category of exempted money that isn’t in the collective bargaining agreement. In his ruling, Burbank noted that while the language and provisions of the agreement are complicated, interpreting the contract isn’t. The so-called “waived gate” revenues in dispute didn’t fit into any of the exempted categories. Burbank ordered the NFL to return the money to the shared revenue pool immediately, which, if the union’s calculations are correct, should increase the salary cap for the 2016 season by about $1.5 million per team.

Looks like there's even more cap space this year

giphy.gif

Wake up NFL-GAF

Did I wake up in the 90s?! Because that's ok...

Gipson moving on.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/02/tashaun_gipson_is_preparing_to.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Pro Bowl safety Tashaun Gipson would like to remain with the Browns, but no substantial talks have taken place and he's preparing to move on.

Set to become a free agent March 9th, others teams can enter into negotiations with Gipson (5-11, 205) on March 7th.

To this point, Gipson hasn't had much contact with the Browns, and it appears they're prepared to let him walk.

Browns related but only in so far as free agency is concerned. Gipson is someone that I really hope the Giants take a look at and sign if he's recovered from the knee. Young proven player who has played well in the past coming off of a tough injury season where he played poorly. We need a rangy safety to pair with Collins and Gipson fits the bill. It would fill a substantial hole for the secondary.

After whiffing on getting a FS last off-season, Reese needs to really make splash this year.

Also read they weren't interested in bringing in James Laurinaitis.

He's going to want to go to a contending team anyways which the Giants aren't at the moment. Eric Weddle will likely be doing the same (and I believe he's said as much). Also, I know he's been super durable but I struggle with bringing in a 30 year old linebacker with the amount of wear and tear he's had. I'm certainly not opposed to it though...

This team needs to focus on building a core of young players on the defensive side of the ball. This is a deep draft of defensive lineman - and wouldn't you know we need lots of those and its always been the priority for Reese over linebacker. I don't see that changing this year either but my hope is that we explore some good options in FA. Danny Trevathan specifically and resign Jasper Brinkley to a 3 year deal. He played well considering he came in very quickly and didn't know the playbook and he will offer good depth at ILB for us.

Gipson is an easy choice though. Addresses what is probably the second most pressing need for this team.

Draxal

He's going to want to go to a contending team anyways which the Giants aren't at the moment. Eric Weddle will likely be doing the same (and I believe he's said as much). Also, I know he's been super durable but I struggle with bringing in a 30 year old linebacker with the amount of wear and tear he's had. I'm certainly not opposed to it though...

30 year old mlb with no injury history but alot of burn is going to get on the first day of training camp with the giants. I'd much rather have a Jennings type who was rarely used.

gutshot

I support Roseman too. I have my misgivings about how the whole FO shakeup and coaching search went, but he's made a point of locking up our young homegrown talent. I'm still a little wary, but I'll trust Howie after the recent moves he's made

I'm also tentatively backing Roseman. Outside of the Dream Team debacle (which he has said he's learned from), he hasn't done anything as a GM to make me think he is wholly incompetent. He's great with the cap and with getting good value in trades, and he seems to be a decent judge of talent.

Howie's always been good with contracts and the cap. He is pretty shaky in the draft, though

I feel like his drafts have been pretty good. He seems to hit on at least one late round pick each year (Kurt Coleman in 2010, Dion Lewis and Kelce in 2011, Bryce Brown in 2012). In the earlier rounds, he had an okay 2010 draft, a terrible 2011 draft but then really, really good drafts in 2012 and 2013. Cox, Kendricks, Curry, Johnson, Ertz and Logan are not only all starters but will be huge pieces on this team for the next 4-5 years. Hitting on all of those guys in the first three rounds in successive drafts is pretty impressive.

Y'all talking about the 90s made me realize that I'm secretly a 90 year old man in a 22 year old black man's body.

Baseball is my favorite sport, I listen to the blues religiously, I go to sleep on weekdays before midnight, I drink my whiskey straight ALWAYS and I play golf. I'm basically from the 60s.

Y'all talking about the 90s made me realize that I'm secretly a 90 year old man in a 22 year old black man's body.

Baseball is my favorite sport, I listen to the blues religiously, I go to sleep on weekdays before midnight, I drink my whiskey straight ALWAYS and I play golf. I'm basically from the 60s.
You're basically eznark

Striker

30 year old mlb with no injury history but alot of burn is going to get on the first day of training camp with the giants. I'd much rather have a Jennings type who was rarely used.
The FA class isn't all that flashy but there's a few names that fit that bill (Zach Brown, Vinny Rey). Problem is they have a bunch of JAGs at OLB and Kennard who can't stay healthy.

Crisco

Banned
It honestly amazes me that anyone can be a Browns fan. I'm an NC State fan and that's pretty horrible most of the time. Browns are like 10x worse.

gutshot

I don't blame Browns fans. Most of the discussion surrounding Cleveland is outsiders shitting on our storied franchise, we can't stop that.

The Eagles shit though is idiotic Eagles fans acting as though they are close to someday being relevant, when in reality they are a moribund dog shit franchise blessed to be in a pathetically awful division which keeps them around .500.

You're turning on your boy Dougie so quickly?

The FA class isn't all that flashy but there's a few names that fit that bill (Zach Brown, Vinny Rey). Problem is they have a bunch of JAGs at OLB and Kennard who can't stay healthy.
I hear ya and I don't mean to minimize the need for a linebacker. Obviously I want more than one but I don't think Reese and company are wrong in focusing on rebuilding the defensive line first if that's the direction they go in (and this is the draft to do that!). We have nothing at the moment and its likely JPP is allowed to walk so less than nothing. Especially if they don't resign Ayers and even then he's past 30 and can't stay healthy either. All the linebackers, corners and safeties in the world aren't going to help if we can't generate pressure on the quarterback.

Like you said, its the year for the Giants to be splashy. I have been and will always be a build through the draft type of guy and hate seeing the Giants super active in FA but this is one of those seasons where that's exactly what we're going to get. I just hope that the guys they bring in will be long term players for us and not short term band-aids.

Striker

I just hope that the guys they bring in will be long term players for us and not short term band-aids.
The brilliant minds of PFF rated Gipson hot and cold

Tashaun Gipson
2015 team: Cleveland Browns

The big question here is which Gipson are you getting? The 2014 version that was one of the best free safeties in the NFL and had a top-10 coverage grade, or the 2015 version that was all too often out of position and had a bottom 10 coverage grade. The truth is, probably somewhere in between, as the entire Browns’ defense was in shambles last season. At only 25 years of age, Gipson’s asking price may not be worth that risk.

eznark

Banned
What's the consensus on Laurinitis? I find myself completely unable to evaluate him because 1. I feel like Fisher does a great job putting his linebackers in positions to succeed and 2. Wellington with Laurinitis was a fucking unstoppable God in Madden and haunts my dreams, so I think of him as godlike.

The brilliant minds of PFF rated Gipson hot and cold

I'm well aware of his play last season. First, its PFF so blech. Secondly, the Browns secondary in general was a mess and he was injured throughout the latter half of the season. I think the upside is there moreso than not with Gipson. It's a risk but then what FA signing isn't?

Maybe this will be a year the Panthers draft an offensive tackle. The line really had 3 bad games last year. The Giants (which they would have lost had Odell Beckham Jr. kept his head) and the Falcons II and Broncos (both of which they did lose).

One could look at them having 3 bad games out of 19 as the aberration, but based on the individual players past performances I choose to look at the 16 good games they did have as unsustainable going forward. The interior of the line is very solid but I'll never have full faith in a team with Blindside and Remmers as the starting tackles.

What's the consensus on Laurinitis? I find myself completely unable to evaluate him because 1. I feel like Fisher does a great job putting his linebackers in positions to succeed and 2. Wellington with Laurinitis was a fucking unstoppable God in Madden and haunts my dreams, so I think of him as godlike.

One of the worst LB last season

Striker

I'm well aware of his play last season. First, its PFF so blech. Secondly, the Browns secondary in general was a mess and he was injured throughout the latter half of the season. I think the upside is there moreso than not with Gipson. It's a risk but then what FA signing isn't?
Oh yeah, Haden out plus other issues. Bad pass-rush. He got injured late in 2014 too, so I'm not sure how his recovery went. Either way, players of his caliber don't hit FA often and they have an enormous amount of cap space. Huge hole at FS. Though I look back at Jairus Byrd who played great at Buffalo and hasn't been much of a playmaker since in New Orleans.

Oh yeah, Haden out plus other issues. Bad pass-rush. He got injured late in 2014 too, so I'm not sure how his recovery went. Either way, players of his caliber don't hit FA often and they have an enormous amount of cap space. Huge hole at FS. Though I look back at Jairus Byrd who played great at Buffalo and hasn't been much of a playmaker since in New Orleans.

1406490164000-rob-ryan.jpg

;) Byrd has been a mess with injuries, too I believe. Though that might have just been his first season? Can't remember.

MechDX

Everytime I think of him I go back to him fucking up that deep pass from Flacco in that playoff game.

It got worse last year. He has an aversion to any kind of physical contact and wasnt active for single game the second half of the season. Texans structured his contract so it is still a minimal cap hit when he is inevitably released in the next couple weeks.

gutshot

Yeah, remember when all the Eagles fans wanted Byrd real bad but the Eagles decided they didn't want to spend a premium on a FA with a checkered injury history so they decided to sign Malcolm Jenkins instead? I guess that Howie Roseman guy knows a little more than some fans would like to admit.

RBH

I like baseball and straight whiskey too :)

Hindl

I stay up late but all the other things are accurate, although he is from Carolina so he probably isn't drinking bourbon. So he is a bitch.

Agreed. A good bourbon beats a good whiskey any day.

1406490164000-rob-ryan.jpg

;) Byrd has been a mess with injuries, too I believe. Though that might have just been his first season? Can't remember.

Goddamn I feel bad for Buffalo. Wonder how much talent NO had on defense that was just being used wrong

Howie, like Chip, deserves a shot. He will sink or swim with this opportunity. I'm not gonna be pissed about having Howie run the show when he hasn't given us anything to be pissed about.

Howie has had his shot and failed already. Lurie was willing to strip him of power for a reason, putting him back in power is completely insane. Before this all happened I used to think that Jeffery was a good owner but now I think that he is garbage and I cant wait until he no longer owns the team. Howie has had several season of personal control and has failed to assemble a team that can even win a single playoff game. The fact that people want to give him credit for locking up young players before they become free agents is baffiling to me, every single fucking team in the league does that. Seriously how often do you see good young players switch teams in the NFL?

Hindl

I have a bottle of Knob Creek, it's pretty nice. Recently though I splurged and got some Angel's Envy. That shit is amazing, save that for special occasions

Pepiope

Howie has had his shot and failed already. Lurie was willing to strip him of power for a reason, putting him back in power is completely insane. Before this all happened I used to think that Jeffery was a good owner but now I think that he is garbage and I cant wait until he no longer owns the team. Howie has had several season of personal control and has failed to assemble a team that can even win a single playoff game. The fact that people want to give him credit for locking up young players before they become free agents is baffiling to me, every single fucking team in the league does that. Seriously how often do you see good young players switch teams in the NFL?
That was Reid's show. I don't put the blame of 09-13 on Howie.
Howie is calling the shots, and he deserves that chance. He has more power now than he's ever had before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom