• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

Milchjon

H5g0AAT.png

?

Look, Ciara's holding her cute little accessory

...oh, and a purse as well

MechDX

Are we days away from mad scramble to Houston for free-agent QBs?

Late last week at the NFL scouting combine, a personnel man was working his relationships for a specific piece of information. With his team laying a foundation for draft and free-agent maneuvering, he had a pressing question: What are the Houston Texans planning at quarterback?

This has been one of the steadiest leaguewide queries since the Super Bowl, posed by a string of team executives, coaches and agents, each jockeying to get a grasp on a market hungry for offseason quarterback options. In their pursuit, a pattern has emerged, placing the Texans as one of the most pivotal dominos in the quarterbacks market this offseason. Thanks to a variety of factors, Houston is officially a preferred destination, be it for purposes of leverage or a genuine interest in putting a quarterback in an ideal situation to succeed.

The multiple names and possibilities tied to Houston speaks to why so many are seeking a better grip on what the Texans are doing. The Broncos are trying to get Osweiler under a new deal and are weighing what the Texans would bid if Osweiler hits free agency. The Philadelphia Eagles, before signing Sam Bradford to a two-year deal, were wondering if Houston would make a play for him in the open market. Griffin is eyeing Houston as a potential long-term destination. And almost every agent with a quarterback who is draftable in the first three rounds is looking at the Texans as a possibility.

• Salary cap: With roster cuts this week, the Texans are more than $42 million under the salary cap for next season. That puts them into a conversation for any of the significant free agents this offseason, as well as any extensions that they deem necessary. Essentially, they have the money to shore up areas of weakness and provide their next quarterback with options.

Those are four very strong factors laying a nice foundation of potential for the next chosen signal-caller. They form a strong basis for why other teams view the Texans as a serious competitor for resources this offseason. They scream to agents and players seeking both money and a good situation.
That article I mentioned earlier.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Wait, Kas is saying Stafford was a better pocket passer than Wilson this year? Fucking what?

I've given Wilson his compliments and think he's one of the best QBs in the league. But Wilson runs a totally different offense and is not a traditional pocket passing QB like Matthew Stafford.

Russell Wilson has had the benefit of having a running game helping him throughout his career as well.

And WR/RBs who are actually decent are going to put up numbers with Matthew Stafford.

Titus Young, Nate Burleson, Tony Schefller in 2011.

Golden Tate, Eric Ebron, Theo Riddick last season.

The dark years were from late 2011-2013 when Titus Young was kicked off the team, Nate Burleson was hurt and Stafford's second WR option was Kris Durham. Durham made one great catch that was perfectly thrown in the Dallas comeback game but other than that he's a College WR.

Now if Stafford could get a running game that wasn't ranked 32nd in the league the Lions are Super Bowl contenders.

squicken

I love Watt, but that play was crushing. The Texans needed their star to win the game and he totally blew it. I still have no idea how Romo gets these pass rushers to fall for that spin he does. He's done it so many times you would think it would be a major point in the weekly meetings

<3

I've given Wilson his compliments and think he's one of the best QBs in the league. But Wilson runs a totally different offense and is not a traditional pocket passing QB like Matthew Stafford.

Russell Wilson has had the benefit of having a running game helping him throughout his career as well.

And WR/RBs who are actually decent are going to put up numbers with Matthew Stafford.

Titus Young, Nate Burleson, Tony Schefller in 2011.

Golden Tate, Eric Ebron, Theo Riddick last season.

Now if Stafford could get a running game that wasn't ranked 32nd in the league the Lions are Super Bowl contenders.

Please read:

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
<3

Please read:

I will when I have time but can I get a TL:DR?

Does it include the fact he had the 32nd ranked running game in the league, he switched coordinators mid season or that he was hit/sacked more than probably any QB last year?

Stafford's season last year was one of the best out of all NFL QBs in numerous statistical measurements.

Things finally got rolling when Jim Bob Cooter took over the offense.

I will when I have time but can I get a TL:DR?

Does it include the fact he had the 32nd ranked running game in the league, he switched coordinators mid season or that he was hit/sacked more than probably any QB last year?

Stafford's season last year was one of the best out of all NFL QBs in numerous statistical measurements.

Things finally got rolling when Jim Bob Cooter took over the offense.

It explains why, but TL:DR he's no good

Edit: lol no

MechDX

Man watching old videos of Arian and that awesome running style makes me depressed. More so then when the team released Andre. Maybe its because Arian didnt come off ass a whiny, quitting bitch. I hope he gets picked up by either the Seahawks, Pats or Packers and gets a shot.

As I have already said: if used correctly, he can still be very useful. 3rd down back, utilized in the slot and running in the red zone. Honestly New England makes too much sense. he knows the system already and belichik has always been pretty up front about the respect he has for Fosters game

I love Watt, but that play was crushing. The Texans needed their star to win the game and he totally blew it. I still have no idea how Romo gets these pass rushers to fall for that spin he does. He's done it so many times you would think it would be a major point in the weekly meetings

I've watched this gif so many times

1) Tyron Smith, holy shit. It was his rookie year against one of the greatest pass rushers ever, but if Romo doesn't spin to win I bet that play sticks with him a while. It might still anyway.

2) If Houston's CB (can't be bothered to look up who that is) doesn't just fall down, he would be in a great position to defend that pass or even pick it off as it's thrown decently behind Terrance Williams.

3) Speaking of Terrance Williams, when is he coming back? I haven't seen him around since about week 2...

Kas loves Stafford like crazy racist KKK people love Trump. He can kill a baby and he will somehow figure out a way to defend him. Guys leave Kas alone. Let him love who he loves in peace. There's no point in reasoning with him. He will never change his mind. No article, no statement, no stats, no testimonial will change his mind.

squicken

"I remember I went to Oklahoma to scout him before his junior year. You see this guy who has got size, he's got arm strength, he's got accuracy and he's a great athlete; he played basketball, scratch golfer. And I remember one of the coaches down there telling me that he could be the governor of Oklahoma -- he was that kind of smart guy. I think it's a situation where we've got to do what's right for the Philadelphia Eagles. There's no motive other than that -- trying to build the best team."
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2016/03/03/why-roseman-backed-bradford/#f8pAbIi621zLLCtM.99

It's nuts that people still talk about his college days. I've seen Arians do it since he took over at AZ, up to last year. NFL types always love potential. But his Heisman year was 2008! 8 years ago

Vikings offered Harris 3.5 million over two years.

He was legitimately our best lineman last year besides Berger. Not saying much but that seems low.

Wouldnt be surprised if he tests the waters.

Top Bottom