• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

Farooq

Banned
The atheletic profiles of these edge defenders make me wary of selecting any of them 4th overall.

Rankins and Nkemdiche however would be amazing 3 techs imo. I would take Rankins over Bosa or any edge really. Nkemdiche too if he wasn't such an off field liability.

Dallas has been trying to draft a 3-tech and a weakside backer for 2 years now. Which makes me think if Ramsey is gone, Jack will be the pick (if his medicals clear). Remember when Jerry was talking about missing out on Shazier and Donald and how the scheme allows pass rush to be generated with the 3-tech/Will? I think we see them go down that road again.

Fantomex

I don't know about VR, but I was watching HER. I want the technology that allowed Joaquin Phoenix to play that exploration game.
Screenshot_2014-06-13_09.29.35.png

Cox was good in a 3-4. In a 4-3 he's going to be insane.

I remember before the Eagles hired Chip there was so much talked about how they had to switch to a 3-4. All the best defenses are 3-4's and it is a much more attacking defense, its gonna be great. Now everything is about how great the switch to a 4-3 will be. I hope everyone is right but I have my doubts.

I remember before the Eagles hired Chip there was so much talked about how they had to switch to a 3-4. All the best defenses are 3-4's and it is a much more attacking defense, its gonna be great. Now everything is about how great the switch to a 4-3 will be. I hope everyone is right but I have my doubts.

Time to bring back the Wide 9!

More teams are transitioning to a 4:3 now. Huge emphasis on getting home with just 4, letting the backers and safeties take the tight ends running free all over.

traditional 3-4 died in 2010. When Brady picked apart the mighty Steelers defense and they had zero speed to do anything about it.

The atheletic profiles of these edge defenders make me wary of selecting any of them 4th overall.

Rankins and Nkemdiche however would be amazing 3 techs imo. I would take Rankins over Bosa or any edge really. Nkemdiche too if he wasn't such an off field liability.

Dallas has been trying to draft a 3-tech and a weakside backer for 2 years now. Which makes me think if Ramsey is gone, Jack will be the pick (if his medicals clear). Remember when Jerry was talking about missing out on Shazier and Donald and how the scheme allows pass rush to be generated with the 3-tech/Will? I think we see them go down that road again.
Where would they use Jack though considering we have Lee and McClain as pretty solid starters. Sam is basically a glorified backup in this scheme.

MechDX

3-4, 4-3....what difference does it make? Everyone has to run a damn nickel defense because QBs coming out of college are too dumb to run a pro style offense

If Ramsey and Jack were gone would you trade down and take Zeke?

Doomsayer

The Niners with Fangio had a pretty basic 3-4 defense that always sent just one edge rusher. Really disciplined and really effective. It was essentially a 4-3 though, I suppose.

I agree with Mech though, the league is way more spread/pass orientated now. Nickel is the new base defense.

bionic77

I don't know about VR, but I was watching HER. I want the technology that allowed Joaquin Phoenix to play that exploration game.
Screenshot_2014-06-13_09.29.35.png
I don't know about it either but I am really excited just to try it.

The last time I felt like this was when we got the first 3D games.

Farooq

Banned
Where would they use Jack though considering we have Lee and McClain as pretty solid starters. Sam is basically a glorified backup in this scheme.

Personally, I wouldn't take Jack off the field . In a more traditional sense Lee and Jack would be my nickle backers. But you could incorporate all three of them in nickle packages already used by the Cowboys. 3-3-5 is one of them (I meant 3-2-6, but Jack would function as the 6th DB). Jack's coverage and athletic abilities make him such a versatile tool that I think Marinelli would only be limited by his imagination.

But thinking past this year, McClain is on a one year deal. Definitely cannot rely on him long term especially if the only way to keep him motivated is one year deals after another. Jack allows the Cowboys to move on from McClain painlessly.

I was already resigned to moving on from McClain this year. He needed to prove something after his suspension and underwhelmed.

There just wasn't anything else out there. Same for Carr.

Hindl

Personally, I wouldn't take Jack off the field . In a more traditional sense Lee and Jack would be my nickle backers. But you could incorporate all three of them in nickle packages already used by the Cowboys. 3-3-5 is one of them. Jack's coverage and athletic abilities make him such a versatile tool that I think Marinelli would only be limited by his imagination.

But thinking past this year, McClain is on a one year deal. Definitely cannot rely on him long term especially if the only way to keep him motivated is one year deals after another. Jack allows the Cowboys to move on from McClain painlessly.

Cowboys getting Jack is my nightmare scenario honestly. Sean Lee is great when healthy, and if he manages to stay on the field combined with Jack, that would really hard to attack.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

Looking forward to our games against the Vikings for than any other NFC North games next year. They are all equally important but we need to put Anthony Barr and that cheap shot defense on check next year after they threw multiple cheap shots at our QB last year.

Drop 40 on them and remind them who's King of the North while they drop back down to 7-9.

Looking forward to our games against the Vikings for than any other NFC North games next year. They are all equally important but we need to put Anthony Barr and that cheap shot defense on check next year after they threw multiple cheap shots at our QB last year.

Drop 40 on them and remind them who's King of the North while they drop back down to 7-9.
Did the Lions win the north last year?

Farooq

Banned
If Ramsey and Jack were gone would you trade down and take Zeke?

No, I would take Rankins with or without a trade down. I might be tempted to take Nkemdiche. If Cowboys snag Ramsey/Jack and get Nkemdiche in the second (who knows how far he falls), shit I think I would cry.

Cowboys getting Jack is my nightmare scenario honestly. Sean Lee is great when healthy, and if he manages to stay on the field combined with Jack, that would really hard to attack.

Jack and Hicks being paired together is my nightmare scenario.

You're going to hang banners reminding people of the packers?

*Plays in same division as the Green Bay Packers*

Hindl

No, I would take Rankins with or without a trade down. I might be tempted to take Nkemdiche. If Cowboys snag Ramsey/Jack and get Nkemdiche in the second (who knows how far he falls), shit I think I would cry.

Jack and Hicks being paired together is my nightmare scenario.

Oddly enough that's my dream. But yeah if Nkemdiche falls to you guys in the 2nd that would be ridiculous too. You'd basically have gotten two raw athletic freaks (him and Jones) in back to back years, as well as 5 potential first round talents in back to back years. Almost all on the defense too

The Niners with Fangio had a pretty basic 3-4 defense that always sent just one edge rusher. Really disciplined and really effective. It was essentially a 4-3 though, I suppose.

I agree with Mech though, the league is way more spread/pass orientated now. Nickel is the new base defense.

I mean yeah 3-4 was our base defense but I could've sworn we already spent most of our downs in nickel...

Syrinx

I love all the playoffs of the Major 4 sports but the format of 64 teams, one and done, and play every other day is just soooo good.

It is fun to watch, and there probably isn't anything that measures up in terms of sheer insanity. But playoff hockey is just so intense and entertaining,

Top Bottom