• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

Intel is going with Process -> Architecture -> Optimization as the new normal.

What that means for these devices? Who knows I suppose.
10nm is proving to be a bear, and the gears have been grinding to a halt for a while anyway.

Instead of getting 50% performance gains every couple years due to performance-per-watt bonuses, we're going to get maybe 5% from architectural innovations. Two, maybe three more process shrinks (10nm, 7nm, 5? Maybe?) will give you your old boosts -- but the cost of those is going to be prohibitively high. To bridge the gap you'll see specialized CPUs really take off, IMO, with heterogeneous architectures back in style as well (this time with compilers to help figure it out rather than making programmers want to claw their eyes out).

But the upshot is this: videogame consoles have never existed in a world where Moore's Law wasn't the industry's self-fulfilling guideline. Never existed in a world where the computer you buy in 2 years is not guaranteed to be massively better than the one you own today. Never -- until this generation.

It's really interesting/cool that we made it to VR just in time, though.

gYcYJdK.jpg

bionic77

10nm is proving to be a bear, and the gears have been grinding to a halt for a while anyway.

Instead of getting 50% performance gains every couple years due to performance-per-watt bonuses, we're going to get maybe 5% from architectural innovations. Two, maybe three more process shrinks (10nm, 7nm, 5? Maybe?) will give you your old boosts -- but the cost of those is going to be prohibitively high. To bridge the gap you'll see specialized CPUs really take off, IMO, with heterogeneous architectures back in style as well (this time with compilers to help figure it out rather than making programmers want to claw their eyes out).

But the upshot is this: videogame consoles have never existed in a world where Moore's Law wasn't the industry's self-fulfilling guideline. Never existed in a world where the computer you buy in 2 years is not guaranteed to be massively better than the one you own today. Never -- until this generation.

It's really interesting/cool that we made it to VR just in time, though.
I don't get how the fuck AMD continues to fuck up and how they cannot compete with Intel seeing as how everything seems to have stopped. You would think they would eating Intel's lunch by making processors as good or 95% as good but for 30-50% less.

As to the future I think the future of computing is going to be fins and racing stripes. I have put them on my iMac and the gains I have received from these high end modifications are something to see.

I don't get how the fuck AMD continues to fuck up and how they cannot compete with Intel seeing as how everything seems to have stopped. You would think they would eating Intel's lunch by making processors as good or 95% as good but for 30-50% less.

As to the future I think the future of computing is going to be fins and racing stripes. I have put them on my iMac and the gains I have received from these high end modifications are something to see.
I'm not sure if this is a good analogy, but think of it like a swimming contest and Intel is Michael Phelps. The water turned to molasses, so now everybody is going slow as fuck. But he has a head start from when it was water (he got to the molasses part first), and he's still Michael Phelps.

I guess the other part of this analogy would be if the other swimmers (AMD) saw the molasses and slowed down before they hit it, saying "well, shit, no way I'm swimming in that". Because Intel is the only company that dove head first into 14nm and then 10nm. (the latter they still haven't solved)

bionic77

I'm not sure if this is a good analogy, but think of it like a swimming contest and Intel is Michael Phelps. The water turned to molasses, so now everybody is going slow as fuck. But he has a head start from when it was water (he got to the molasses part first), and he's still Michael Phelps.

I guess the other part of this analogy would be if the other swimmers (AMD) saw the molasses and slowed down before they hit it, saying "well, shit, no way I'm swimming in that". Because Intel is the only company that dove head first into 14nm and then 10nm. (the latter they still haven't solved)
I remember when my Athlon was faster than the P3!

What happened AMD? Get your shit together!

ShaneB

Jalen Mills Says NFL Team Asked How He Would Kill Someone in Interview

Un-fucking-real.

edit: I'll just add the article..

NFL teams have already faced scrutiny for questions asked during predraft interviews, but a new one posed to LSU safety Jalen Mills takes things to another level.

Speaking to Ryan Wilson of CBSSports.com on Wednesday, Mills said one NFL team asked him if he would use a gun or a knife to kill someone.

Mills did not specify which team asked him the question, though he said the team graded his answer based on the weapon he chose: "If you choose the knife, you know, now you're killing for fun...because you have to continuously stab somebody with it."

There's a difference between trying to glean information about a player's mental toughness and asking how the player would commit homicide.

This isn't even the first time a player has been asked if he would use a knife or gun to kill someone. Former defensive end Austen Lane, who Jacksonville drafted in 2010, tweeted in February that he was asked the same question:

RBH

I'm working with an HIV doctor this month, and on my first day with him in his office, one of the very first things I see is a picture of my attending with Magic Johnson at some HIV event.

Bionic would be proud of me :')

bionic77

I'm working with an HIV doctor this month, and on my first day with him in his office, one of the very first things I see is a picture of my attending with Magic Johnson at some HIV event.

Bionic would be proud of me :')
That's awesome.

Did he tell you how Magic came up with the cure for AIDS (not the AC Green cure, the REAL cure)?

Hey

At least Arkansas isn't Kentucky or Vandy!
The college football equivalent of being the world's tallest midget. Congrats for doing the bare minimum of not being a total fuck-up. And at least Vandy pulls it's weight academically for the rest of the damn conference and Kentucky is basically SEC Basketball 70-80% of the time.

And Vandy produced Bears great Jay Cutler,

You all produced Ryan Mallett..

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The college football equivalent of being the world's tallest midget. Congrats for doing the bare minimum of not being a total fuck-up. And at least Vandy pulls it's weight academically for the rest of the damn conference and Kentucky is basically SEC Basketball 70-80% of the time.

And Vandy produced Bears great Jay Cutler,

You all produced Ryan Mallett..

Just looked, Arkansas has more national championships than Mississippi State or South Carolina also!

Just looked, Arkansas has more national championships than Mississippi State or South Carolina also!
Yeah because you've been around a fuckton longer that the Cocks and picking on Miss State is like picking on the slow kid in class.. That's like me bragging about Ohio State not being Purdue.. It's the bare minimum that one one needs to do to not be a fuckup.

Miss State has been a fuckton more successful than Arkansas in recent history since RBH's hero Bobby Petrino decided to bang 20 year old coeds while pulling a Ben Rothlisberger and getting a motorcycle accident without a helmet I believe. You all had John Smith, the walking financial disaster and had now you have that fat fat fat asshole Bret Bielema in charge.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah because you've been around a fuckton longer that the Cocks and picking on Miss State is like picking on the slow kid in class.. That's like me bragging about Ohio State not being Purdue.. It's the bare minimum that one one needs to do to not be a fuckup.

Miss State has been a fuckton more successful than Arkansas in recent history since RBH's hero Bobby Petrino decided to bang 20 year old coeds while pulling a Ben Rothlisberger and getting a motorcycle accident without a helmet I believe. You all had John Smith, the walking financial disaster and had now you have that fat fat fat asshole Bret Bielema in charge.

South Carolina has been playing football since 1892 though?

What can I say? Arkansas isn't in the same league as the bigger and more popular teams. Hell, Petrino was the first coach in years that came to Arkansas and actually said he would try to win a national championship.

Unlike the rednecks that call in on homer radio who are convinced we're on the cusp of winning it all, I usually just hope for a major bowl appearance.

South Carolina has been playing football since 1892 though?

What can I say? Arkansas isn't in the same league as the bigger and more popular teams. Hell, Petrino was the first coach in years that came to Arkansas and actually said he would try to win a national championship.

Unlike the rednecks that call in on homer radio who are convinced we're on the cusp of winning it all, I usually just hope for a major bowl appearance.
They weren't sanctioned by the university till the 30s and received no support because of this thing called World War II happened. So you are punching one of the slow kids in the class. They weren't even in the SEC till the 90s (same time Arkansas entered I believe)

God damn floy

Did your ex cheat on some dude from Arkansas or what
I hate Bret Bielema Bread.. He's a loudmouth shittalking asshole. He makes Rex Ryan look humble.. Let that picture sink in your

Also my ex hated football.

Not even LSU fans hate Arkansas as much as Floyd!
Because why would they hate some new forced rival when the real rival is Bama.

Top Bottom