• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

effzee

The BGN Radio draft show they did the other day they went on and on about how the Eagles are going to take Jones in the 3rd as their developmental QB. I am so worried that that is what will happen.

Who? I don't follow college football and even I know it's a weak qb draft. Never heard of Jones.

As far as I understood top guys are Wentz, Goff, Lynch, Cook, Penn State clown, and then Prescott.

Who? I don't follow college football and even I know it's a weak qb draft. Never heard of Jones.

As far as I understood top guys are Wentz, Goff, Lynch, Cook, Penn State clown, and then Prescott.

The Ohio State guy. Supposedly dougie loves him. Supposedly he compared him to the rapist at one point. He is a huge reach since he sucked so much in college.

squicken

The BGN Radio draft show they did the other day they went on and on about how the Eagles are going to take Jones in the 3rd as their developmental QB. I am so worried that that is what will happen.

I think they need to use the 3rd to go after their developmental QB. Jones has the physical tools. I think Brandon Allen is the better player, but he's too limited to really think he could ever be a top QB

The team that would be perfect for Allen is Indy. They need a young, cheap backup that could play games this year if needed

I am against them moving up to take Wentz, but if he fell to 8 they should take him in a heartbeat. They have the next years draft to get other positions of need, since that would be the earliest Wentz would be ready to start.

Even if you fill one position of need in the first round this year, an average at best QB is very unlikely to take you deep into the post-season. Take a risk on getting an above average QB in this draft and fill out the rest of your squad next year.

It's amazing how these things flip flop so much though. A month ago Goff was mocked to go before Wentz without question.

Sanjuro

Idk I think you'd be surprised how many ppl know this movie. I saw it a ton of times growing up. I swear it was on tv all the time. I think my family might even have a copy on VHS ....along with my VHS copies of TMNT I plan to sell to sanjuro for $10,000.

That robot is a childhood hero

I had sealed copies of the first VHS up until a couple years ago.

I think they need to use the 3rd to go after their developmental QB. Jones has the physical tools. I think Brandon Allen is the better player, but he's too limited to really think he could ever be a top QB

The team that would be perfect for Allen is Indy. They need a young, cheap backup that could play games this year if needed

They have 2 3rds so I definitely expect one to be a QB, but I want nothing to do with Jones. Even in the national championship game so much of what he did was move around buy time and let their super fast WR outrun the Ducks D.

Fantomex

Gruden's QB camp is awesome. He doesn't softball the kids, and it's interesting to see which guys are naturals about football and which have a tenuous grasp. ESPN needs to focus on it more.

He does softball them though. He basically asks them about the offense they ran. So Gruden is always the one learning, not the other way around. When he does asks questions, they are specifically tailored to make the QB look adorable or knowledgeable.

He does softball them though. He basically asks them about the offense they ran. So Gruden is always the one learning, not the other way around. When he does asks questions, they are specifically tailored to make the QB look adorable or knowledgeable.

I think the stuff where he writes out some hugely complicated play and then erases it and makes them recreate it with the proper terminology is really interesting.

Godslay

Banned

Sure and we don't get to see the edits.

Fantomex

Sure and we don't get to see the edits.

I mean I understand he's in a tough position. He doesn't want to expose QB or ruin his big future. But at the same time, i would love to see how certain guys would become frustrated or stumped at simple questions regarding first reads, cover 2's and stuff like that.

The show is for the guys to look good. The show gets edited so the guys look good and the audience gets to know them. The show isn't meant for any of the guys to look bad, players probably wouldn't go on if there's a chance of them looking bad. I've heard if Teams ask Gruden behind doors he'll tell them what he really thinks. I just like the show cause it's a cool chance fans to see some more of the players personality

I actually saw a pretty cool clip with Wentz on steve mariuccis version of the Qb camp
Edit: here that clip is http://youtu.be/psUuk19ZFfg

Squickening out of the NFC South when the Panthers are about to get hit by the Super Bowl losers curse?

Weird

lol

Unless Cam Newton's arm falls off, they will win that division with ease. And they will for the foreseeable future.

We the new Pats. Except we don't cheat.

#LosingWithHonor>WinningInDisgrace
#NahImPlayingLetsGetSomeCamcorders

So Howie is doing something interesting with the Eagles roster, they have 37 players signed to 1 year contracts as of today. They only have 19 players signed past 2018. I have no idea how those numbers compare to the rest of the league but it would seem like a high amount of guys on 1 year deals. If things go bad this year it will be easy for them to wipe the slate clean and start over again the following year.

I mean I understand he's in a tough position. He doesn't want to expose QB or ruin his big future. But at the same time, i would love to see how certain guys would become frustrated or stumped at simple questions regarding first reads, cover 2's and stuff like that.

You answered it yourself, you don't want to ruin a guy's draft stock.

I'm not even talking about the content of the questions. Often you can tell a lot by how these guys answer them. Say for instance a long delay after a simple question - expect that long delay on gameday.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
lol

Unless Cam Newton's arm falls off, they will win that division with ease. And they will for the foreseeable future.

We the new Pats. Except we don't cheat.

#LosingWithHonor>WinningInDisgrace
#NahImPlayingLetsGetSomeCamcorders

Panthers haven't been that good for that long for anyone to say that they'll win that division with ease.

Did Drew Bree's retire? Haven't the Falcons had some really good teams? Are you sure Jameis won't take that next step next year?

Y'all aren't the NFC North or the AFC East...it'll be a battle.

So Howie is doing something interesting with the Eagles roster, they have 37 players signed to 1 year contracts as of today. They only have 19 players signed past 2018. I have no idea how those numbers compare to the rest of the league but it would seem like a high amount of guys on 1 year deals. If things go bad this year it will be easy for them to wipe the slate clean and start over again the following year.

What are the odds Dougie gets canned after one season if Eagles have a bad year?

What are the odds Dougie gets canned after one season if Eagles have a bad year?

Things would have to be so bad that Lurie cleans him and Howie out. I doubt that will happen. I think that a lot of Howies moves this offseason have been to bring in solid guys hoping to get the team to be a .500 team in a weak division. They are not going for good, just trying not to be bad. Howie is definitely in self preservation mode after getting demoted last year.

effzee

Doug was handpicked, above much better candidates, based primarily on the fact he wouldn't clash with Howie and try to get GM powers.

He is safe for 5 years at least and only maybe less if he has 2-3 disastrous 3-4 win seasons.

What's the general consensus on Vernon Adams? Would he be worth taking in the later rounds, like the 5th?

He might go undrafted but I wouldn't mind the Eagles bringing him in to develop.

Panthers haven't been that good for that long for anyone to say that they'll win that division with ease.

Did Drew Bree's retire? Haven't the Falcons had some really good teams? Are you sure Jameis won't take that next step next year?

Y'all aren't the NFC North or the AFC East...it'll be a battle.

They've already won the division 3 years in a row.

And they bring back the best team on paper by miles. The holes for all three of the other teams are too big to be filled up in the span of one offseason.

I mean, I fully expect the Panthers will take a step back record-wise because 17 wins just isn't sustainable (even though they'll probably be a better team getting KB back, hard to get that kind of luck going your way two years in a row) and their place in the NFC might be in question (I don't think they get back to the SB, certainly not this year) but not the division. No one is close

Gobias

Banned
The Ohio State guy. Supposedly dougie loves him. Supposedly he compared him to the rapist at one point. He is a huge reach since he sucked so much in college.

My boy won a National Championship god dammit! He's definitely got potential and a lot of physical talent but he couldn't really put it together after being taken out of Tom Herman's system.

effzee

I am against them moving up to take Wentz, but if he fell to 8 they should take him in a heartbeat. They have the next years draft to get other positions of need, since that would be the earliest Wentz would be ready to start.

Even if you fill one position of need in the first round this year, an average at best QB is very unlikely to take you deep into the post-season. Take a risk on getting an above average QB in this draft and fill out the rest of your squad next year.

It's amazing how these things flip flop so much though. A month ago Goff was mocked to go before Wentz without question.

My concern is over what the overall direction of the team is. Are we rebuilding? Doesn't seem like it. Brought back Bradford at the market rate, but still pretty pricey. Brought in Chase Daniels as one of the highest paid back ups.

And now a QB at 8? If the plan is to move up or take the best QB at 8, you aren't taking just the BPA at that pick. These QBs wouldn't be in the top 10 of overall players. So to take a QB at 8 means they think they don't have a franchise QB plus they think one of these guys can be "it". But then why bring back Bradford at that price? Why not let him walk, sign Daniels to start, and then draft Wentz, Lynch, or Goff?

It is my belief that they aren't rebuilding, that like Chip they too believe in Sam Bradford, and will look to take a developmental guy in the 3-5th rounds. And if they aren't rebuilding, they owe it to Sam and the rest of the team to draft a day 1 impact player at 8. Be that OT, CB, LB, or a RB who can make the whole offense 10x more dynamic.

Hindl

My concern is over what the overall direction of the team is. Are we rebuilding? Doesn't seem like it. Brought back Bradford at the market rate, but still pretty pricey. Brought in Chase Daniels as one of the highest paid back ups.

And now a QB at 8? If the plan is to move up or take the best QB at 8, you aren't take just the BPA at that pick. These QBs wouldn't be in the top 10 of overall players. So to take a QB at 8 means they think they don't have a franchise QB plus they think one of these guys can be "it". But then why bring back Bradford at that price? Why not let him walk, sign Daniels to start, and then draft Wentz, Lynch, or Goff?

It is my belief that they aren't rebuilding, that like Chip they too believe in Sam Bradford, and will look to take a developmental guy in the 3-5th rounds. And if they aren't rebuilding, they owe it to Sam and the rest of the team to draft a day 1 impact player at 8. Be that OT, CB, LB, or a RB who can make the whole offense 10x more dynamic.

Agreed, I just don't think a QB at 8 makes sense. With all the extensions, it seems like they are trying to build the young core of the team and give Bradford a chance to lead them. If he fails, they are in a position where the core is still intact and they can draft developmental QBs. Kinda like the Texans this offseason before Brock. Even if we draft Wentz/Goff, they won't start this year unless Bradford passes his glass knees to Daniel. And except for 2013, this is the 1st top 10 pick the Eagles have had since 2000. We need to take advantage of that and get the best player we can. So it would make more sense to grab an immediate impact player (yes, even Zeke), and grab a QB later since they'll be sitting anyway

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
They've already won the division 3 years in a row.

And they bring back the best team on paper by miles. The holes for all three of the other teams are too big to be filled up in the span of one offseason.

I mean, I fully expect the Panthers will take a step back record-wise because 17 wins just isn't sustainable (even though they'll probably be a better team getting KB back, hard to get that kind of luck going your way two years in a row) and their place in the NFC might be in question (I don't think they get back to the SB, certainly not this year) but not the division. No one is close

So they're probably due to not win the division!

I think the Panthers will go 10-6 next season. I also think that Cam will be more shook than people think and will significantly regress next season. I'm not thinking he'll meltdown like Kaep or RG3 but he'll come back down to reality and have an average season for him. Very few players have the mental fortitude of a Russell Wilson where he comes back and actually plays better the next season. Whether or not 10-6 wins the NFC South who knows?

Hey.. Our pick will be in... When it's in. It will be the wrong one anyway.

Well at least you accept it,

We still have a lot of slots open....Dutch what team are you taking?? BG are you picking with your new Steeler bros?

AFC

East

Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins - Chris, SkLa
New England Patriots - AHAHAHAHAHHA
New York Jets - Fox318

North

Baltimore Ravens - Nakazato, BaltimoreLarry
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns - FloydtheFathead
Pittsburgh Steelers - AngmarsKing701, chuckddd

South