• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

effzee

Pretty upset at Kiko being thrown in. I didn't even want Maxwell gone but ok I understand with his contract.

But Kiko? Young and would have been 2 years removed from the ACL. I doubt trust Howie's ability to draft at all and now we need another LB.

I was excited to see Maxwell and Kiko with Schwartz instead of the pure man Billy Davis insisted on.

:(

Spinluck

Four years as a Bronco is longer than most players get on a single NFL team. Your owner gave up on him. So we can share the man. Hell, even dirty Canucks like Tabris love Peyton Manning.

To be fair, that was handled poorly by both ends.

Peyton was being shady as fuck about his health and was due a pretty big payday. They also thought he'd need 3 neck surgeries not 4.

So it was there, in that moment, that they had to decide on Peyton or the one of the highest rated prospects in a while.

I'm glad he went to Denver, he sure as fuck wouldn't have won anything here. Lol.

MechDX

Adam Gase runs the Erhardt-Perkins Offense, the one the Patriots and Texans run? Someone form Mile High Report mentioned Brock liked running that offense and that would give credence to Ed Werders comments

So the Dolphins are switching to the Patriots offense?

Delicious.

Adam Gase runs the Erhardt-Perkins Offense, the one the Patriots and Texans run? Someone form Mile High Report mentioned Brock liked running that offense and that would give credence to Ed Werders comments

Delicious.

Uh they will run the Colts offense under Manning tailored to Tannehills strengths that's what the OC and HC have already said. Don't group me in with those degenerates.

Line_HTX

I am grateful to have shared the field in your LAST game but most importantly I am grateful to have mimicked a style you created to bring out the best in MË! And that style is/was mastering the art of: PREPARAT1ØN. You have changed this game in ways you will never no and I admire the man you are on and off the field. You set the bar H1GH....extremelyH1GH and knowing your family, I know that's just the norm. I came into this league gagging and still gagging my talents to this day off of the things that YOÜ have done and accomplished; because you are and you will FOREVER be the STANDARD! So long SHER1FF! #omahaOMAHA #1STpickGÄNG #iWmW -1OVE

:jnc

Spinluck

Delicious.

NFL offenses are a lot more homogenous than people think.

Air-coryell, West coast, and Erhardt-perkins.

I don't it's that big of a deal anymore in today's NFL pass happy NFL.

Fantomex

Soon to be a free agent

grimes11.gif

Crisco

Banned
I think the worst thing the Broncos could do right now is commit a bunch of money to a mediocre QB, especially if costs them pieces on defense. That is a championship caliber defense, they won the Super Bowl with literally the worst passing offense in the league. Do everything you can to keep that defense together for as long as possible, then draft some 2nd - 3rd rounder QB who you think can develop into a quality starter. Remember the bar is "worst passing offense in the league", it's not unrealistic to think even a rookie QB could improve on that. They could very well win it again next year or the following one, as long as they keep the defense together.

MechDX

Updated Cap Space according to NFLN

1. Jaguars - $82.2M
2. 49ers - $62.3M
3. Raiders - $60.0M
4. Bucs - $57.4M
5. Giants - $56.6M
6. Browns - $50.1M
7. Titans - $49.6M
8. Bears - $46.6M
9. Rams - $44.6M
10. Texans - $41.6M

Spinluck

I think the worst thing the Broncos could do right now is commit a bunch of money to a mediocre QB, especially if costs them pieces on defense. That is a championship caliber defense, they won the Super Bowl with literally the worst passing offense in the league. Do everything you can to keep that defense together for as long as possible, then draft some 2nd - 3rd rounder QB who you think can develop into a quality starter. Remember the bar is "worst passing offense in the league", it's not unrealistic to think even a rookie QB could improve on that. They could very well win it again next year or the following one, as long as they keep the defense together.

They could, but playing defense at that high of a level and intensity is incredibly difficult. Even if with their current depth, you'd have to hope the key guys remain healthy. I agree, try to keep that defense together, but you also have to plan for the future of that team as a whole.

1. Jaguars - $82.2M
2. 49ers - $62.3M
3. Raiders - $60.0M
4. Bucs - $57.4M
5. Giants - $56.6M
6. Browns - $50.1M
7. Titans - $49.6M
8. Bears - $46.6M
9. Rams - $44.6M
10. Texans - $41.6M

We'll be using all that money to turn every seat in the stadium into a swimming pool! I'm sure Goodell will be okay with us using our Cap space for something like that.

Crisco

Banned
They could, but playing defense at that high of a level and intensity is incredibly difficult. Even if with their current depth, you'd have to hope the key guys remain healthy. I agree, try to keep that defense together, but you also have to plan for the future of that team as a whole.

The Steelers did it in the 70s, it's not unprecedented. Terry Bradshaw was no better than average.

Crisco

Banned

1. Jaguars - $82.2M
2. 49ers - $62.3M
3. Raiders - $60.0M
4. Bucs - $57.4M
5. Giants - $56.6M
6. Browns - $50.1M
7. Titans - $49.6M
8. Bears - $46.6M
9. Rams - $44.6M
10. Texans - $41.6M

Raiders really stick out to me as a team that could/should be able to lay the groundwork for a consistent run of success. Carr is better than average, almost really good, and they have a superstar pass rusher on defense. With 60M in cap space, another high draft pick, and Al Davis still in the ground, they should have a bright future.

They are going to need to sign someone. Their third string QB is a rookie that has never played a snap of NFL football. He's from Northwestern.

I don't see a problem if they sign Brock to a highly compensated contract as long as it is three years or less and relatively front loaded with respect to the guaranteed money so that he could be dumped after year two with little impact on the cap.

Hunter S.

Im pieces on defense. That is a championship caliber defense, they won the Super Bowl with literally the worst passing offense in the league.

Your use of the word literally is annoying as hell here. I am making a dragon style post here.

Stop acting like you know more than John Elway and company.

Spinluck

Read Grantland much?

There are differences, but aren't all NFL offenses just modified versions of those 3?

The terminology in the route calling is different and all, but if they're switching to something that may potentially play into their QBs strengths, what's wrong with that?

Pepiope

Why the fuck did we trade Alonzo? Jesus Christ. I know it's a salary dump but there better be adequate draft compensation coming back.
Kiko is high risk/high reward. If we moved up to #8 and there's someone we want....I'm all for it.

There's still a lot of unknown though.

MechDX

There are differences, but aren't all NFL offenses just modified versions of those 3?

The terminology in the route calling is different and all, but if they're switching to something that may potentially play into their QBs strengths, what's wrong with that?

No. The Erhardt-Perkins Offense is a ridiculously complex offense from reports and interviews with players from what Ive seen. Receivers have to be able to run almost a full gambit of routes while reading the defense the same way as the QB

Weeden called it "learning to read Chinese backwards" when trying to get it down. A complete 180 from the easy in comparison ZBS based offense run by Kubiak

For real though, I hate this damn team. Every offseason Stephen Ross thinks he's going to fix 10 problems at once so he goes nuts in free agency, then the season falls apart and he acts like they aren't going to go crazy in free agency.

Same old shit.

1. Jaguars - $82.2M
2. 49ers - $62.3M
3. Raiders - $60.0M
4. Bucs - $57.4M
5. Giants - $56.6M
6. Browns - $50.1M
7. Titans - $49.6M
8. Bears - $46.6M
9. Rams - $44.6M
10. Texans - $41.6M

Who will the Giants GM over pay? he's got too much money to play with..

For real though, I hate this damn team. Every offseason Stephen Ross thinks he's going to fix 10 problems at once so he goes nuts in free agency, then the season falls apart and he acts like they aren't going to go crazy in free agency.

Same old shit.

The factory of sadness is always welcoming of new sacrif...followers, join now to get a Kave scented air freshener.

Euron

Step 1: Draft every defensive free agent

Step 2: Watch them all get injured in the preseason

Step 3: Win the division?

#NFCEAST

Rumor. Most likely not true, but if we could fleece you guys for Feeley, then there is hope we can do the same for Maxwell.

"most likely not true". i can guarantee you it's not true. the dolphins aren't stupid enough to give that up. the rumor was drummed up by a hopeful eagles fan

Rumor. Most likely not true, but if we could fleece you guys for Feeley, then there is hope we can do the same for Maxwell.

I hope we don't, I really want Vernon Hargreaves and he should still be there at 8.

Same old shit.

Noooooo I thought you had escaped the misery :(

Tom Penny

What I'm saying is what you said is straight out of a Grantland article I read years ago..I'm assuming they are correct.

To an almost shocking extent, NFL offenses are homogeneous. Given that every NFL team is in, roughly speaking, the same circumstances in terms of money, resources, practice time, and facilities, this homogeneity makes some sense. After all, “football’s always football,” as newly minted San Diego Chargers head coach Mike McCoy recently said. “Everyone’s running the same plays, and it’s a matter of some running one concept more than another team is. It all boils down to the same thing.”

There are essentially three main offensive “systems” in the NFL: West Coast, Coryell, and Erhardt-Perkins. Given that every NFL team runs basically the same plays, each of these NFL offensive families is differentiated mostly by how those plays are communicated.

Pepiope

"most likely not true". i can guarantee you it's not true. the dolphins aren't stupid enough to give that up. the rumor was drummed up by a hopeful eagles fan
If you're making guarantees, then you should join Eagles-GAF if I'm right. Bow down to Howie Da Gawd. It'd be doing you a solid.

I cried a bit during Peyton's retirement speech. Beautiful

Great trade for the Dolphins imo, addressing linebacker need and get a decent corner in return.

Line_HTX

No. The Erhardt-Perkins Offense is a ridiculously complex offense from reports and interviews with players from what Ive seen. Receivers have to be able to run almost a full gambit of routes while reading the defense the same way as the QB

Weeden called it "learning to read Chinese backwards" when trying to get it down. A complete 180 from the easy in comparison ZBS based offense run by Kubiak

Lol, what? When did Weeden say that?

Top Bottom