• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Steelers signed Ramon Foster to 3 more years. That's a wrap. Pittsburgh got all the important pieces back on the cheap. What a crazy free agency period. When's the draft?

Broncos and Brock reopening negotiations.

He played the Texans to get the Broncos to up his deal :((

Also, if Trump wins the elections, I'll step away from my Patriots fandom for at least a year and join my brother Fantomex in supporting the LA Rams. I'm done with his shit

Fantomex

I like it, it's a classic.

I like the colors :)

"Steph Curry with pot"

Are they going back to those colors??
There is a big chance they will, because it will give fans a "new" look without having to rebrand until the new stadium opens in 2019. This will also go well because all the old school rams fans will be wearing these from years past.

I am going to cut Fantomex.

I bring peace, my peace I bring you.

Are you leaving the Dolphins

Family pull was too strong to resist.

635882306875682907-C01-LA-NFL-10-68974306-1-.JPG

No Jim Everett?

I was more of a Chris Chandler guy myself.

hqdefault.jpg

I would love Sanu, wanted him out of college before we become Rutgers crazy. Check mah post history.

You're really leaving our beloved AFC East, friend? Gonna miss you Bruh, I hope you find happiness in LA! And with regards to the jersey: Looks fantastic. Can't go wrong with those colors.

I'm gonna miss you friend. My family, location, and the longing to share my pain of a sucky team with locals proved too great to resist. I will always be here to hate on your team and give you advice on where to eat when you come back to So Cal. These colors are definitely sweet.

gutshot

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Former 49ers guard Alex Boone is signing with the Minnesota Vikings, per source.

Darn, thought he might be a good pickup for the Eagles.

So I am trying to figure out what the actual terms of these trades are.

Maxwell + Alonso + Pick 13 <----> Pick 8 from Lolphins (what about the rumored 4th round pick?)
Murray + 4th round pick (110) <----> 4th round pick from Titans (97)

I like both of those trades, but the Lolphins trade would be even better if that 4th round pick is real.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
McLendon still unsigned. Plus Steelers are reportedly talking to Beachum about a 1 year prove it deal.

I wouldn't mind either of them coming back, but neither is a necessity. I guess if McLendon leaves, it would force the Steelers hand, but I want a stud NT in the draft either way.

Are Eagles just moving up to 8 for the sake of it (as in, why the hell not?) or are they targeting someone?

They're not after a QB and my impression was there were less than half a dozen top tier talents this year, all of which would likely be gone by 8, even if Goff and Wentz are off the board.

Local radio seems to think they are going to target one of the QBs. If Bradford is good then you can always trade the QB to a team like the Browns at a later date, and if Bradford doesnt work out then you have his replacement already.

Pepiope

So I am trying to figure out what the actual terms of these trades are.

Maxwell + Alonso + Pick 13 <----> Pick 8 from Lolphins (what about the rumored 4th round pick?)
Murray + 4th round pick (110) <----> 4th round pick from Titans (97)

I like both of those trades, but the Lolphins trade would be even better if that 4th round pick is real.
The 4th isn't real. We're just swapping 1st.

gutshot

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Eagles and QB Chase Daniel agreed in principle on multi-year deal, per @caplannfl and me. Daniel reuniting with Doug Pederson.

Sanchez is a goner.

I wouldn't mind either of them coming back, but neither is a necessity. I guess if McLendon leaves, it would force the Steelers hand, but I want a stud NT in the draft either way.

Unless they pick one in the first two rounds I doubt that's happening. Nickel is the base defense now, and unless they think McCullers is the guy (which I doubt heavily) we Need Big Steve back.

I'd rather they sign him and focus on shoring up DE depth.

He played the Texans to get the Broncos to up his deal :((

Also, if Trump wins the elections, I'll step away from my Patriots fandom for at least a year and join my brother Fantomex in supporting the LA Rams. I'm done with his shit

If you honestly dont like Brady supporting the crazy racist why does it matter if the crazy racist wins the election or not? I really dont get the distinction.

Alright so quick thoughts on what Miami has been up to:

OV: Glad he's gone, overrated player that's about to get overpaid.
@TesslerSports
Look at it as the Miami Dolphins trading Olivier Vernon for Mario Williams, a 3rd round pick, & an additional $4 mill in cap space. Not bad.

Best thing Miami has done so far.

Wake: We better keep him, if he comes back healthy and he's already ahead of schedule in his recovery he should be back to his dominating self again. Obviously at his age we're going to reduce his snaps and he'll be more of a situational pass rusher and that's ok since that's what he excels at anyways.

Miller: This is where Miami really fucked up, I can't believe they are going to let our best offensive weapon walk, if Houston gets him for 6.5 Million that's a fucken steal and fuck our FO for not paying that.

Eagles Trade: Despite what some of you may think that we got 'fleeced' in context it's a smart move from Miami, let me break it down for you:

On dumping Maxwells contract on us...he's an 8.5 million dollar cap hit this year and we can dump him next year for nothing if he doesn't work out. He's replacing Grimes for a million cheaper and we don't have to deal with Miko anymore. Maxwell played very well in the cover 3/4s the Seahawks ran, that's where he excelled. He didn't fit in the Eagles scheme and should do well under Vance.

On Kiko...he's young and super cheap if he gets healthy and works out great if not we again drop him for nothing.

On swapping 1st round picks: It's not a big loss for Miami, especially if they are targeting the Oline or RB position in the first round. I'd rather pick up a RG or RB with the 13th pick than the 8th since it's about 3 Million less of a cap hit,

Some more thoughts on the swap:
@AdamHBeasley 31m31 minutes ago
Now, we can discuss the quality of those two starters. That's fair. But the Dolphins only gave up a second to move to 3rd from 12th in 2013.
@HimmelrichNFL 47m47 minutes ago
This #Dolphins trade is a success. Team is interested in DL, immensely deep position. Will still find top talent at 13 & fills two needs.
@SiClancy 1h1 hour ago
@AbramsonPBP Trust me, there aren't. Differences between players at 8 to 13 utterly negligible. There MIGHT be 3 elite players. All gone @8
@HimmelrichNFL 12h12 hours ago
#Dolphins are still looking to go DL in the 1st round. Incredibly deep class at the position. Makes a move from 8 to 13 very good for Miami.

And finally....my man crush on Jeff Darlington just hit new levels:

@JeffDarlington 34m34 minutes ago
@iHeartMiko ...I'm talking to teams about your husband, for one thing. Now would you quit being so damn crazy on Twitter?! You're a nut!!

The saddest thing about the trade is that Miami loses a 4th round pick. It's not a terrible trade though since we're not locked into any long term deal with either player, and going from 8 to 13 is so whatever.

Not sure how Maxwell will do and I still think we need another corner, but I'm hoping that Kiko is a great addition in a position that was arguably our worst on the defensive side.

The saddest thing about the trade is that Miami loses a 4th round pick. It's not a terrible trade though since we're not locked into any long term deal with either player, and going from 8 to 13 is so whatever.

Not sure how Maxwell will do and I still think we need another corner, but I'm hoping that Kiko is a great addition in a position that was arguably our worst on the defensive side.

The trade was only for swapping the 1st round picks, we are keeping our fourth, which I'm happy about because that was the part I hated the most.

Wes

venison crêpe
Wait are you just dropping the phins? Why not just pick up the 2nd team in the Rams. Lots of ppl have a favorite team but also follow the team in the team in their general location.

I support the Browns and follow the London Insert Franchise Here.

effzee

Bolded.

Your post was just a jumping off point.

Also, Squick you shit on Roseman but him managing to dump all this dead weight and actually get some return was a masterstroke. I see why the Eagles kept him.

No one ever doubted Roseman's ability to manage the cap or to trick other teams into trading for players Eagles no longer want.

But what good is loading up on picks if you can't draft for shit? He needs to make himself as a legit GM by what he adds, not necessarily what he cuts.

Chip also cut Trent Cole, Evan Mathis, Todd H, Bradley Fletcher, Carry Williams, and other veterans who either barely played or were cut by their new teams. Problem isn't who you get rid of, even if they can play and you dump cause of salary, it is who you bring in.

Chip failed in that regard with Demarco and Maxwell, though I'd argue 1 season is way to little to judge such sweeping change. Maxwell could have easily rebounded this season under a much better DC and offense not running uptemp all the time.

Howie so far has made some great trades, created cap space, and resigned the young talent on the team. Great that's what we know he can do.

Now what? Let's see if he can actually acquire talent.

effzee

Are Eagles just moving up to 8 for the sake of it (as in, why the hell not?) or are they targeting someone?

They're not after a QB and my impression was there were less than half a dozen top tier talents this year, all of which would likely be gone by 8, even if Goff and Wentz are off the board.

Well assuming the Eagles don't want one of the top QBs, and they still might, the top QBs don't rank in the top 10 as overall talent.

So if Cleveland, SF, and say a surprise team (Dallas?) take a QB in the top 10, at pick 8 Eagles can still grab one of the top 5-6 guys.

effzee

Wait really??

Then this is actually a pretty good trade. I'm not seeing how we actually got ripped off now.

You didn't.

Maxwell is overpaid but so is every FA. He can play he was just in a terrible situation where DC Billy Davis never adjusted or played to the strengths of the players. Single safety man no matter what.

I expect Dolphins will get much more out of both Maxwell and Alonso (due to injuries primarily with Kiko) then the Eagles did.

Wait are you just dropping the phins? Why not just pick up the 2nd team in the Rams. Lots of ppl have a favorite team but also follow the team in their general location.
That would mean I support the Ravens, Racists, or Panthers..

The first one.. no.

The second one.. I don't like that.

The third one.. I like their qb, but I don't know his name.

squicken

The Eagles dropped 3 players and didn't net any picks. Just dumped salary and moved up in the draft. Howie has done well, but that's what he has always done well. Now he has to do what he never does well; player acquisition

Eagles couldn't roll with Sanchez anymore. The team had a total letdown after he lost the Miami game, and the fans had turned on him as well. I've always liked Daniel. He will never look better than Bradford in a practice, though. Bradford always looks great in practices

Wes

venison crêpe
Well assuming the Eagles don't want one of the top QBs, and they still might, the top QBs don't rank in the top 10 as overall talent.

So if Cleveland, SF, and say a surprise team (Dallas?) take a QB in the top 10, at pick 8 Eagles can still grab one of the top 5-6 guys.

Fair point, I don't know the terms of the Bradford deal. Is it fairly short/have a get out clause after a handful of years?

effzee

Geoff Mosher
@GeoffMosherNFL
I'm hearing #Eagles deal that sent DeMarco Murray to TEN involves teams swapping 4th round picks. Would move Eagles to top of 4th round.

Howie does it again.

Don't like that we have to move our own 4th. Would have preferred an extra pick, not just swap to move up in the 4th.

First pick of day 3? That's huge.

LOL WHAT?

It is still a 4th round pick. Not like the top pick of day 3 is knows as make or break pick.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Former 49ers guard Alex Boone is signing with the Minnesota Vikings, per source.

Darn, thought he might be a good pickup for the Eagles.

I think Eagles pick up G Allen from KC or the guy from the Texans.

That or if after the Cox extension (tm), they don't have money left, they grab the best OT/G in the draft who falls to them.

They have enough picks in the 3-4th round to really restock the line.

effzee

Fair point, I don't know the terms of the Bradford deal. Is it fairly short/have a get out clause after a handful of years?

2 years and 2nd year has an out clause which carries a min cap hit.

It was basically a high 1 year deal but a prove it deal.

Allows flexibility to move on if he bombs but also doesn't force them to have to draft a QB at 13 or now 8. This year's QB draft isn't the greatest and guys are going to go higher than they would in a normal draft.

Now Eagles aren't forced to take a guy. They can take a developmental guy in the 3rd.

The Eagles dropped 3 players and didn't net any picks. Just dumped salary and moved up in the draft. Howie has done well, but that's what he has always done well. Now he has to do what he never does well; player acquisition

Eagles couldn't roll with Sanchez anymore. The team had a total letdown after he lost the Miami game, and the fans had turned on him as well. I've always liked Daniel. He will never look better than Bradford in a practice, though. Bradford always looks great in practices

Exactly.

Dolphins didn't get ripped out and if the shoulder issue was a real concern, then makes sense they wanted to be 100% sure.

We all new the minute Howie came back the cap would never be in question. But it never is really. Even Chip's crazy spending was after he dumped a bunch of salary and made more room. Eagles weren't in bad cap shape, this just created more.

Biggest question is the scouting and drafting moving forward. Their scouting department is undermanned and in shambles.

Basically instead of a full team, they have Howie who wasn't scouting at all last year, and Tom Donahoe who was brought in as a part time semi retired consultant who now is working full time but out of Pittsburgh not even in Philly. LOL

Top Bottom