• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.
No he wouldn't. They would try to flip him for a pick or picks.

You don't give up as much as they did and then do what? Stash Wentz on the bench? His value drops by the minute because who will trade anything more than a 3rd or 4th for him in that scenario?

At that point it doesn't matter. If you have a top 5 QB in this league, you don't bench him or trade him and then start someone who has never taken a snap in the league. That's what Sam doesn't understand, the job is still his to lose but he has no faith in himself in being able to keep it, because well he sucks and let's face it, we all know he isn't gonna be a top 5 QB in this league ever, so this convo is moot, but for the sake of argument.

Do you think if the Broncos had invested a 1st in addition to the 2nd for Brock that they would have said, "OK, Peyton you're a top 5 QB but we got these picks invested in Brock so we're trading ya, peace out" If Buttfumble plays like a top 5 QB are they gonna trade him and start Lynch because they have a couple picks invested in him? No. Did the Cardinals trade Warner because they had the 10th overall pick invested in Leinart? Heck no. Would it have mattered if they had another 1st and 2nd tied to him? Hell no.

RBH

What did the Dalmatian puppy say after having a good meal?

That sure hit the spots!
NH9gE7v.gif

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So when president Trump gets elected I have decided I will send for 3 NFL-Gaffers to come to Canada to live.

Well technically only 1 as my good friends Rando and Mech get to move to the front of the line.

I am pretty sure once training camp rolls around and his teammates see the real possibility of wasting a year of their career to a rookie QB or career back up, they would be just fine with Bradford coming back to start.

Much of what you said is on point, the Eagles have royally fucked themselves, but let's be honest here. Those teammates would also be wasting a year of their career with Bradford.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So when president Trump gets elected I have decided I will send for 3 NFL-Gaffers to come to Canada to live.

Well technically only 1 as my good friends Rando and Mech get to move to the front of the line.

Pick me! I'll bring all my Steelers stuff and you can borrow my Polamalu jersey!

Pepiope

Much of what you said is on point, the Eagles have royally fucked themselves, but let's be honest here. Those teammates would also be wasting a year of their career with Bradford.
They're obviously focused on 2017 and beyond, but the Eagles are fielding a competitive team this season with or without Bradford. The defense will do well, the line is improved, another year of growth from Matthews, Aggy, Huff, Ertz, and Barner...No one's wasting a year of their career.

was watching America's Game: 2011 Giants the other day and I love Tuck's fire in the pregame speech https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahB0vwq25t8
He grew into that leadership role that year in a major way. It was a bit rocky on that front for awhile due to his injuries and his weariness to speak out when he wasn't on the field. Regardless, one of my favorite all time Giants. The guy just did things the right way on and off the field. Happy to see him go out in Giants blue.

Also, I love Eli but Justin Tuck was the MVP of Super Bowl 42. The man completely destroyed the Pats offensive line in that game.

Duxxy3

He grew into that leadership role that year in a major way. It was a bit rocky on that front for awhile due to his injuries and his weariness to speak out when he wasn't on the field. Regardless, one of my favorite all time Giants. The guy just did things the right way on and off the field.Happy to see him go out in Giants blue.

Also, I love Eli but Justin Tuck was the MVP of Super Bowl 42. The man completely destroyed the Pats offensive line in that game.

Stupid amazing defensive line.

#rigged

Godslay

Banned
I'm not afraid of Trump.

I was born here, and I was raised here, and dammit, I'm gonna die here, and no sidewinding bushwacking, hornswaggling cracker croaker is going to ruin my bishen cutter!

Whoever you pick, don't pick BG. He should sit and watch as Trump turns the country into a Mad Max style post-apocalyptic wasteland overrun by giant cockroaches, gun toting wackos and inbred mutants, just like Cleveland. He'll love it.

Draxal

He grew into that leadership role that year in a major way. It was a bit rocky on that front for awhile due to his injuries and his weariness to speak out when he wasn't on the field. Regardless, one of my favorite all time Giants. The guy just did things the right way on and off the field. Happy to see him go out in Giants blue.

Honestly, there was no real mvp for that game, because as much as Tuck had the numbers it was Strahan and Osi doing a lot of work for that team.

Then you had Jacobs on the fourth and 1, Boss in the third quarter.

It was such an amazing game.

Bread

Banned
I'm not afraid of Trump.

I was born here, and I was raised here, and dammit, I'm gonna die here, and no sidewinding bushwacking, hornswaggling cracker croaker is going to ruin my bishen cutter!
I'm thankful that gata was here to hear that

effzee

Those teammates really pushed the Eagles owner to bring him back.

There were accounts from almost all of the offensive players how Lurie spoke to them about how they felt "post-Chip" and they all pushed for him to bring back Sam.

Again my anger is at Lurie, Howie, and Doug. Their plan makes no sense. So much money and picks tied up in QBs who haven't proven shit and half those resources could have been used to build a better team overall.

At that point it doesn't matter. If you have a top 5 QB in this league, you don't bench him or trade him and then start someone who has never taken a snap in the league. That's what Sam doesn't understand, the job is still his to lose but he has no faith in himself in being able to keep it, because well he sucks and let's face it, we all know he isn't gonna be a top 5 QB in this league ever, so this convo is moot, but for the sake of argument.

Do you think if the Broncos had invested a 1st in addition to the 2nd for Brock that they would have said, "OK, Peyton you're a top 5 QB but we got these picks invested in Brock so we're trading ya, peace out" If Buttfumble plays like a top 5 QB are they gonna trade him and start Lynch because they have a couple picks invested in him? No. Did the Cardinals trade Warner because they had the 10th overall pick invested in Leinart? Heck no. Would it have mattered if they had another 1st and 2nd tied to him? Hell no.

Right cept Warner and Peyton have had amazing careers and it wouldn't be considered an aberration.

I think to Sam and his agent, the plan was to sign this deal. Play it out and if out performs expectations and stays healthy, he uses it to get a long term deal. The Eagles investing so much in the #2 overall pick basically throws that all out of the window. T

he Eagles thought will be "wow he had one really good year but we used Maxwell, Kiko, Murray, 2 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick in 18 all so we could get Wentz. Lets trade Sam while hot (cause again it would be only 1 good year) and get something in return to build around Wentz".

Say they didn't move up and draft Wentz. Say they took a QB in the later rounds. There would be no need to make a change after this coming season. Sam plays well? Ok cool lets continue to start him while developing whoever they might have taken in rounds 3-6.

"Over the last 10 NFL drafts (excluding this year's, of course), 25 quarterbacks were selected in the first round. Of those 25, 15 started for their teams in Week 1, and 21 started before their rookie seasons were half finished. Of the 14 who were top 10 picks, 11 started in Week 1, and 13 started by Week 5.
Of the 11 quarterbacks who were drafted first, second, or third overall - the category into which Wentz would fall - nine started in Week 1. Nine. The Eagles can pay lip service to letting Wentz learn by watching, but the conventional wisdom these days is that real live NFL action is the great winnower, the most reliable and rigorous training ground for young quarterbacks, and the earlier a player is exposed to it, the better."

This article on the Eagles QB mess was posted yesterday, but I found this part amazing. 13/14 QBs selected at the top of the draft started for their team by week 5 their first year. Teams dont let high picks sit on the bench anymore. The Eagles telling Sam that he is the starter this year isnt even true, let alone him having a shot to become the long term guy

MechDX

David Quessenberry feels strong as he continues comeback from cancer

Texans offensive lineman David Quessenberry was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma nearly two years ago, forcing a halt to his football career while he received treatment for the illness.

That treatment helped Quessenberry go into remission last year, although his attempt to get back on the field wasn’t as successful. He spent the year on the non-football illness list while continuing to work out and regain strength in hopes of returning to the team this season.

Quessenberry is a bit under the 306 pounds he used to carry, but says he feels great and believes it is the right weight for him as he works to resume his playing career.

“I feel excellent,” Quessenberry said, via the Houston Chronicle. “I can’t wait. I feel strong. I feel fast. I feel explosive. It’s the best I’ve felt in a long time. I can’t wait to get out there. It will be a good year.”

It’s hard to know how good a chance Quessenberry has to make the team until the Texans’ offseason is further along, but it’s hard to imagine that his effort and determination won’t help him if it is a close call in a few months time.

I really hope Quiz comes back from this and makes the team. I had an emotional moment during Hard Knocks last year when BOB told him he was being placed on IR again.

Those teammates really pushed the Eagles owner to bring him back.

There were accounts from almost all of the offensive players how Lurie spoke to them about how they felt "post-Chip" and they all pushed for him to bring back Sam.

Again my anger is at Lurie, Howie, and Doug. Their plan makes no sense. So much money and picks tied up in QBs who haven't proven shit and half those resources could have been used to build a better team overall.

Right cept Warner and Peyton have had amazing careers and it wouldn't be considered an aberration.

I think to Sam and his agent, the plan was to sign this deal. Play it out and if out performs expectations and stays healthy, he uses it to get a long term deal. The Eagles investing so much in the #2 overall pick basically throws that all out of the window. T

he Eagles thought will be "wow he had one really good year but we used Maxwell, Kiko, Murray, 2 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick in 18 all so we could get Wentz. Lets trade Sam while hot (cause again it would be only 1 good year) and get something in return to build around Wentz".

Say they didn't move up and draft Wentz. Say they took a QB in the later rounds. There would be no need to make a change after this coming season. Sam plays well? Ok cool lets continue to start him while developing whoever they might have taken in rounds 3-6.

And yet, it's been reported that only one single player on the team has reached out to Bradford since this happened.

And screw the general media. Look at what former players are saying about what they think about Bradford. Even they are pissed at him and say that most likely team mates are as well.

Roseman didn't "screw up". He hedged his bets. Turned out that hedging was unnecessary, but that's business. I don't get why people are bending over backwards to make Bradford out to be the good guy here. He was hired for a job that inherently has no guarantees. If Bradford stunk it up next season, do you think he'd be back the next one? Why do people ignore this when it's far and away the most likely outcome anyway!?

"Over the last 10 NFL drafts (excluding this year's, of course), 25 quarterbacks were selected in the first round. Of those 25, 15 started for their teams in Week 1, and 21 started before their rookie seasons were half finished. Of the 14 who were top 10 picks, 11 started in Week 1, and 13 started by Week 5.
Of the 11 quarterbacks who were drafted first, second, or third overall - the category into which Wentz would fall - nine started in Week 1. Nine. The Eagles can pay lip service to letting Wentz learn by watching, but the conventional wisdom these days is that real live NFL action is the great winnower, the most reliable and rigorous training ground for young quarterbacks, and the earlier a player is exposed to it, the better."

This article on the Eagles QB mess was posted yesterday, but I found this part amazing. 13/14 QBs selected at the top of the draft started for their team by week 5 their first year. Teams dont let high picks sit on the bench anymore. The Eagles telling Sam that he is the starter this year isnt even true, let alone him having a shot to become the long term guy

How many of those 15 that started actually had any success? Is it a higher ratio than the ones who didn't start their first year?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Build a 50 meter tall
Titan
wall covering alongside the Grand Parkway.

:p

Lord knows the Houston area needs more expensive, time consuming, and inefficient construction projects near highways.

Edit: I continue to be amazed how long this Bradford discussion has gone on. Might be because Eagles GAF appears to be our largest fanbase these days....

Packers GAF has fallen off a cliff outside the occasional Greg post and a few others.

Lord knows the Houston area needs more expensive, time consuming, and inefficient construction projects near highways.

Edit: I continue to be amazed how long this Bradford discussion has gone on. Might be because Eagles GAF appears to be our largest fanbase these days....

Packers GAF has fallen off a cliff outside the occasional Greg post and a few others.

I am just convinced that there is a massive number of active posters from the Philly area on GAF.

Greg

GO PACK GO

Well Greg is the only packers fan left...

I really just think there isn't much else to talk about and this is an issue that is very polarizing. Once camps start there will be way more football news. Honestly this is much better then the anime garbage that normally fills this thread in the offseason.

Top Bottom