• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

JABEE

Grossi knows nothing, he's speculating.

MOAR! THE BROWNS DEMAND MOAR!!

BROWNS SUPER BOWL!!!

qqzMU72.png

Banner says no!

He got banned for shitting on mods one too many times

He was apparently warned about it and he kept it up
The fool. That sucks :(
Man why do people have to worry about me getting banned?

I don't know what changed but I always thought my posts were harmless and occasionally humorous.

Shame about ez though. Wish he had been banned after the Packers won the SB. He was the worst for the whole year afterwards until they eventually lost in the playoffs.

You are humorous, that's why I care if you get banned. You've just been banned a number of times and your style could offend the thin skinned. Anyway, glad you're still around. So my friend, what defensive player on the Cards list will the Steelers snatch up in the first round this year? Make it three for three in the Keim era :| Or is this the fourth off season? Shit, I think it's the fourth already. Time flies.

The Eagles would be using one pick in the top 100 to improve their 2016 team. If they do the deal, it was stupid to sign Bradford. They could have used that money on Cox. If they are throwing in the towel this year, then do it properly
I like to believe that Lurie would step in and stop him from doing this. Also Bradford didn't sign the extension last year because he was afraid he would be traded to the browns. It would be so fucked to do that to him this year.

This isn't just a bad move this would be the worst move ever. Spend over $30m this year on QBs, then trade away all your picks for another QB. I can't imagine that any team has ever signed 2 free agent QBs and traded up for a qb all in the same offseason. This would be historically dumb.

JABEE

Speaking on 97.5 ESPN, Schefter said the Eagles are trying to close the deal.

"If it were up the Eagles, the deal would be done today," Schefter said, "but Cleveland is taking their time and being methodical."

The trade from No. 8 to No. 2 could look something like this, according to a report from Alex Marvez of FOX Sports:

Eagles get:

No. 2 overall pick

Browns get:

No. 8 overall pick

Both of Eagles' 3rd-round picks in 2016

Eagles' 2017 1st-round pick

Eagles' 2017 3rd-round pick

Schefter said, however, that he believes the price to move up would be less than that.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/04/2016_nfl_draft_rumors_eagles_want_trade_with_cleve.html

I would be okay with this if the Eagles aren't giving up a huge package.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Benjamin Allbright ‏@AllbrightNFL 33m33 minutes ago

What appears to be Manziel so wasted he can't walk, supported by two persons, still drinking shout/slurring to passerbys who he is.

Benjamin Allbright ‏@AllbrightNFL 35m35 minutes ago

Eyewitnesses sent over some pics/clips of what appears to be Manziel at Coachella. Someone close to him, I'm begging you, get him some help.

Pepiope

This isn't just a bad move this would be the worst move ever. Spend over $30m this year on QBs, then trade away all your picks for another QB. I can't imagine that any team has ever signed 2 free agent QBs and traded up for a qb all in the same offseason. This would be historically dumb.
We aren't trading up for a QB.

I'm not listening to any media reports. It makes no sense.

bionic77

The fool. That sucks :(

You are humorous, that's why I care if you get banned. You've just been banned a number of times and your style could offend the thin skinned. Anyway, glad you're still around. So my friend, what defensive player on the Cards list will the Steelers snatch up in the first round this year? Make it three for three in the Keim era :| Or is this the fourth off season? Shit, I think it's the fourth already. Time flies.
You had a top 5 defense.

Anyone you take from our team other than maybe Shazier (who is fragile) would be a downgrade for the Cards.

Allen is available if you are looking for bums who don't contribute though. I would rather the opposite occur and maybe we steal a decent pass rusher from your team.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
PST.....alright I'll make the pick.

Mock Update

With the 16th Pick of the NFL Draft the Lions Select...Andrew Billings, DT - Baylor

I'll let Kas do the write up

Atlanta Falcons are on the clock, RBH you got till 12 PST to get your pick in.

Sorry y'all, was busy but let Trejo and Futurevoid know last night who LionsGAF was drafting and it was a tough decision but I was settled on.....

With the 16th pick of the 2016 NFL draft the Detroit Lions select Andrew Billings, DT Baylor. With the top 3 offensive lineman off the board the Lions go defense and have the perfect rotational player at Defensive Tackle to learn under Haloti Ngata (and Tyrunn Walker).

Andrew Billings is young, even for NFL draft day purposes, but as a Sophmore won Big 12 Defensive Player of the year and last year was Co-Defensive player of the Big 12. He led the Baylor Bears not only in sacks (5.5 sacks) but also Tackles for Loss at 15 which is a staggering number to have during a college season. He showed consistency at Baylor dominating the competition he faced.

His speed, size, strength and footwork stood out to me more than either of the Alabama DTs and even though he's only 21 I see him being an immediate impact, Day 1, rotating the Defensive Tackle position with Haloti Ngata and Tyrunn Walker.

Other considerations from Lions fans based off the mock picks available had me looking at Shaq Lawson, LaQuon Treadwell, Emmanuel Ogbah, Reggie Ragland, the Alabama DTs and all were taken into consideration but some of those positions have already been filled by the Lions (WR), some don't really need to (LB) and some can and will be found in later rounds (Defensive End).

Andrew Billings fits a position of need, will contribute Day 1 even if it's 35% of the snaps and would join a defensive line led by Ziggy Ansah and veteran Haloti Ngata.

Benjamin Allbright ‏@AllbrightNFL 33m33 minutes ago

What appears to be Manziel so wasted he can't walk, supported by two persons, still drinking shout/slurring to passerbys who he is.

Benjamin Allbright ‏@AllbrightNFL 35m35 minutes ago

Eyewitnesses sent over some pics/clips of what appears to be Manziel at Coachella. Someone close to him, I'm begging you, get him some help.
Prosecutors will present the Manziel domestic abuse case to a grand jury Thursday, a decision could be reached as soon as Monday.

Squicken, damn the Browns right?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
You had a top 5 defense.

Anyone you take from our team other than maybe Shazier (who is fragile) would be a downgrade for the Cards.

Allen is available if you are looking for bums who don't contribute though. I would rather the opposite occur and maybe we steal a decent pass rusher from your team.

Do you even watch football? Landry Jones kicked the shit out of that defense.

RBH

With the 17th pick, the Atlanta Falcons select Reggie Ragland, LB - Alabama

Atlanta has numerous holes on the defensive side, probably none more so than at linebacker. Ragland should help out a rushing defense that gave up the most rushing touchdowns of any NFL team last year. His coverage skills have been called into question, but he will most likely be a serviceable two-down linebacker against the run who will step in as a starter almost immediately for a depleted Falcons' defense.

Mock Update

1. Los Angeles Rams - Carson Wentz - QB - Himynameischris - Wentz has the size and strengths that NFL teams look for in a QB, he's got a big arm and he's athletic too. However on the field he's got a lot of work to do, He's got very sloppy footwork and he'd succeed in an offense that would limit his throws to the short/Intermediate routes, at least until he works on his deep ball accuracy. Surrounded by a strong run game that features Gurly and a good defense might be enough to help Wentz learn on the job.

Fantomex - With the first pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, The Los Angeles Rams select Carston Wentz from the University of North Dakota State. A two year starter (Hi Tannehill!) who went 20-3. Raised in an under center offense, pro style reads and standard progressions. His lack of big name competition seems to be one of the big knocks. But he has good arm strength, great reads, pocket presence and decent footwork in the pocket. He also possesses great athleticism, doing better in the shuttle than even some Cornerbacks in this years draft combine. Carson Wentz seems to have all the tools to be an NFL starter and learn on the go in 2016. Wether it’s Jon Gruden, Mike Mayock, Ron Jaworski, or Trent Dilfer, they all seem to be head over heels for this guy the more they talk with him, draw up plays and go over film together. Jon Gruden called him “the most NFL ready QB to come out of the draft in years”. Most analysts compare him to Troy Aikman, based on arm strength, pocket presence and footwork. I vehemently disagree on the pocket presence, he seems to be sorely lacking this trait. The Los Angeles Rams now in their new market, hope to make a splash. They have decided to bet big on Wentz, by trading with the Tennesse Titans to move up from #15 to #1 in this years draft. The terms are as follows: Tennessee gets: Rams' first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016) third-round pick (2016), first-round pick (2017), third-round pick (2017).Rams get: Titans' first-overall pick (2016), fourth-round pick (2016), sixth-round pick (2016).

2. Cleveland Browns - Jared Goff - QB
- FloydtheFathead - With the 2nd pick in the Draft. The Cleveland Browns select Jared Goff, QB from the University of Cal. Now personally, I think the Browns will trade down because Wentz is not available and I don't know if they are that sold on Jared. But for now, they'll take Jared Goff who will lead Cleveland to the Promised Land.

He's got good size. But needs to bulk up and has decent arm strength and vision and works through progressions and not just quick to dump off to the hot read.

He isn't as accurate from deep as other QBs and has played in the Spread rather than a pro style offense. But he performed well and set dozens of school records and I think Hue will develop him on the bench while RG3 hopefully stays healthy and might surprise us with a new version of himself somehow.

3. San Diego Chargers - Jalen Ramsey, DB - Bread - My San Diego Chargers select the next Deion Sanders, the next Malcolm Hero Butler, DB Jalen Ramsey.

My Chargers need a playmaker to replace old friend Eric Waddle. Ramsey should provide ball hawking skills and leadership. Bolt up or something I don't know what do we say? Save our bolts!

4. Dallas Cowboys - Laremy Tunsil, OT - CrocMother - There was discussion amongst Cowboys-GAF about Bosa and Zeke, but in the end neither were deemed worthy of such a high pick. There are reports the FO aren't fans of Bosa, and it's pretty clear that they don't have a lot of confidence in Myles Jack's knee.

Tunsil is 6'5", extremely athletic and widely regarded as the all-around best player in the draft. While the Cowboys obviously have no pressing need at OLine right now, Tunsil could significantly lower their cap hit in the coming future when their current studs' contracts come up.

There's also the possibility that Tunsil could be packaged in some sort of trade deal.

Either way, worst case scenario the Cowboys have one of the most dominant OLines of all time secured for years to come.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars - DeForest Buckner, DE
- Dutch Patriot - The keyword voor the Jacksonville Jaguars this upcoming draft seems to be defence. The team is lacking some talent overall, but with Bortles at the helm, the offense could play well enough that with a good defense they can actually win games and hell, maybe even challenge for the AFC South title.

Looking at the stats, they ranked 31st in overall scoring defence, 29th in defending the pass and 15th in defending the run. They added some bodies on defence, including a rather big one in DT Malik Jackson, the lead actor from Coming to America at CB and Donte Fowler for the first time really joining the team after his injury last year.

Ramsey would probably be ideal, but just as in our draft, I assume he'll be gone before the Jags pick. Thus that leaves us with a few options: Joey Bosa, Myles Jack and DeForest Buckner. At first Jack seemed like no-brainer here, however, the injury news (smokescreens?) with regard to his knee has thrown me a bit of a curveball, so I think they might pass on him, since long-term talent will be crucial for the up-and-coming Jags. This also eliminates Bosa, who looks like a fuck-up waiting to happen.

6. Baltimore Ravens - Myles Jack, LB - Baltimore Larry - Simply put, he's the best player available, and that's what Ozzie Newsome does. If Jack does fall to six, the Ravens will happily grab him, where he looks to be an impact player from day one (if healthy). Pair him with CJ Mosely, Brandon Williams, and Jimmy Smith, giving the Ravens a nice nucleus. Adding Jack would immediately improve the defense, and despite the injury, there's too much talent to pass on here.

7. San Francisco 49'ers - Joey Bosa, DE - bigosc2k - 2015 the 49ers had an abysmal season on both sides of the ball. Figures 49ers would go defense in the first round towards the front 7 to get pressure towards the QB. Joey Bosa is the type of pass rusher this team needs to get back to their winning ways.

8. Philadephia Eagles - Vernon Hargreaves III, CB - Hindl - Despite the final tally, early in the season, the Eagles defense was playing very well. There's talent at all 3 levels of the defense that was being squandered by Billy Davis' terrible schemes and Chip Kelly's fast-paced offense going 3 and out all the time. The addition of Jim Schwartz should bring back the hard-hitting Philly Defense that's been missing since the passing of Jim Johnson. Between new players brought in to fit the scheme and as several of the Eagles' young stars already a better fit for the 4-3, this should be a formidable defense. One big weakness, however, is the CB position. Eric Rowe had a promising rookie season, and hopefully can build on that to become a top tier CB in the coming years. However, opposite him are a bunch of guys that are just ok. Pairing Rowe with another young star could push the defense over the edge. Enter Vernon Hargreaves.

Hargreaves has good instinct and is an aggressive defender. He can jam at the line and fight off defended balls. Occasionally Hargreaves will be too aggressive and will either be be baited by a smart QB or lose a step against great route runners. However, this should be balanced by his ball hawk nature causing plenty of turnovers and passes defended. Hargreaves reminds me of Asante Samuel, and him and Rowe should have the CB position locked down for years to come.

It was hard to decide between Hargreaves and Ezekiel Elliot, who could provide the lackluster Eagles offense with a weapon people would have to plan for. However, this is a team that needs a lot more talent than one guy on the offense. Meanwhile, adding another young piece to a young defense stocked with talent could push this team over the edge.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Ronnie Stanley, OT
- Syrinx - I really read without a magnifying glass so I'm not typing some long explanation.just say Donovan Smith sucks.

10. New York Giants - Leonard Floyd, LB - Georgia - Futurevoid - I'm on the Floyd train. Where there is smoke, there's fire and I've said it before. I don't think the Giants take Zeke even if he's on the board (despite my being a-ok with drafting him) . Floyd is a versatile pass rusher which is what the Giants covet right now as they continue to remake a historically bad defense. His body type is a concern but I would imagine the team will want him to play in the 245-248 range and move him around the front seven (yes even with his hand in the dirt). He did alot of things for Georgia and that versatility is exactly what Reese and the FO crave and why I think they go for him.

11. Chicago Bears - Ezekiel Elliot, RB - Ohio State - Minx - The Bears have obviously shown interest in adding another starting RB as they offered CJ Anderson the biggest contract. Bears have also has two pre draft visits with Elliott. I don't believe John Fox and Pace have confidence in Langford being a every down back. Elliott offers elite talent to replace Forte and takes pressure off Cutler who has to rely on a strong ground game. If Pace sticks with going best player avaliable then Elliott is the pick even with the NFL devaluing the position.

12. New Orleans Saints - Sheldon Rankins, DT - Louisville - Malalaw, Dionysus - I am no means an expert player evaluator so I am not going to waste your time with a write up. Basically the Saints have a need at almost every defensive position except for MLB. Sheldon Rankins is in the conversation for one of the best defensive players left on the board, and the Saints need a DT.

13. Miami Dolphins Select William Jackson III CB - Houston - SkLA, Himynameischris

The Dolphins are in desperate need of almost every position on the defense but CB is the most pressing, after letting go of Brent (and Miko) we were left without a starting CB. The trade for Maxwell gave us a good #2 but we still need another starter. Jackson is taller than the CBs we usually draft and Vance has been able to get the best of the CBs he had in Cincinnati. While Jackson will take a year or two to fully develop he can still come in on day one and play opposite Maxwell. Jackson has good ball skills, is able to track the ball well when it's throw his way and has great football instincts.

14. Oakland Raiders - Jack Conklin, OT - Michigan State - Beach, McKenzie, Officerrob, MRSA

Though the current mock draft is almost a worst case scenario for the Raiders, Jack Conklin should be the pick. Though he does not fill in a pressing need and will not have high expectations as a rookie, which is rare for the Raiders, he will be expected to compete for the right tackle position with Watson (who had a season long injury last year and has't lived up to his second round pick yet) and Howard (who has actually having a productive season before getting injured late in the season and eventually fill in for Penn either next year or the year following.

He is not the most athletic tackle out there and may struggle with faster pash rushers, Conklin held his own and more throughout the season (see game vs Buckner). Tice is a hell of an O-Line coach and he has a monster O-Line to learn from. The Raiders draft the best player available.

15. Tennessee Titans Taylor Decker, OT Ohio State - Eleuin – The Titans do not hope for a miraculous drop at the top of the 2nd round and grab the last of the OTs teams seem to be comfortable with plugging in day one. Decker’s average athleticism and arm length will limit him to RT but the Titans would be happy to have him. With his huge frame 6'7" Decker is a mauler in the run game and will open up huge holes for newly acquired Demarco Murray. His slow feet may open him up to be beat by speed rushers but good technique makes him adequate overall in passing sets.

16. Detroit Lions - Andrew Billings, DT - Baylor - Kas - With the top 3 offensive lineman off the board the Lions go defense and have the perfect rotational player at Defensive Tackle to learn under Haloti Ngata (and Tyrunn Walker).

Andrew Billings is young, even for NFL draft day purposes, but as a Sophmore won Big 12 Defensive Player of the year and last year was Co-Defensive player of the Big 12. He led the Baylor Bears not only in sacks (5.5 sacks) but also Tackles for Loss at 15 which is a staggering number to have during a college season. He showed consistency at Baylor dominating the competition he faced.

His speed, size, strength and footwork stood out to me more than either of the Alabama DTs and even though he's only 21 I see him being an immediate impact, Day 1, rotating the Defensive Tackle position with Haloti Ngata and Tyrunn Walker.

Other considerations from Lions fans based off the mock picks available had me looking at Shaq Lawson, LaQuon Treadwell, Emmanuel Ogbah, Reggie Ragland, the Alabama DTs and all were taken into consideration but some of those positions have already been filled by the Lions (WR), some don't really need to (LB) and some can and will be found in later rounds (Defensive End).

Andrew Billings fits a position of need, will contribute Day 1 even if it's 35% of the snaps and would join a defensive line led by Ziggy Ansah and veteran Haloti Ngata.

17. Atlanta Falcons – Reggie Ragland, LB – Alabama – RBH
Atlanta has numerous holes on the defensive side, probably none more so than at linebacker. Ragland should help out a rushing defense that gave up the most rushing touchdowns of any NFL team last year. His coverage skills have been called into question, but he will most likely be a serviceable two-down linebacker against the run who will step in as a starter almost immediately for a depleted Falcons' defense.

The Colts are now on the clock, they have until 2pm PST

Edit: Wait we don't have anyone on the Colts unless Spin is doing it? If he doesn't show up by 11:30am PST we can do a group pick.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Sheldon Rankins stock has driven up drastically since the Senior Bowl. He dominated #14 pick Jake Cocklin and a 2nd-3rd round center from Alabama. Stood out head and shoulders above the Alabama DTs even though he's smaller by DT standards. Really reminds me of Geno Atkins in how he uses his leverage and power.

Andrew Billings reminds me of BJ Raji when I've watched tape of him and I've heard some of the commentary on him. Tends to use his upper body strength and stands up quicker than Sheldon Rankins who uses both his lower body and upper body strength.

The use of the upper body technically in football a bad thing for defensive lineman, unless you've got the strength to push offensive lineman around and read plays like Billings did at Baylor.

This is Bob Quinn's first draft but I just don't see him going WR at all with the first round pick. I could see him trading down but I think it's going to come down to whoever the best player is on the board whether it's Offensive Line or Defensive Line.

JABEE

Eagles are giving up a 2017 1st, 2016 3rd and 4th, and a 2018 2nd.

Eagles are getting back a 2017 4th round pick.

So, it's a 2017 1st, 2016 3rd, and a 2018 2nd to move up in the draft.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Nice trade on paper for the Browns but if the Eagles get Goff then he's guaranteed to become a hall of famer because the Browns passed on him

Top Bottom