• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

squicken

Jeff McLane ‏@Jeff_McLane
Jon Gruden questions how #Eagles will distribute repetitions during practice with three QBs that would seemingly need as many as possible.

I've always made this point with rookie QBs. How do you give them reps if they aren't starting and still develop them. This is one of the many reasons the Browns so often fail. They have no plan. What's the Eagles' plan? Bradford is the starter in a new system, Daniel the backup who was promised a chance to win the job, and a rookie that needs all the reps he can get at the NFL level

Fantomex

Not enough Old-E in the world man
pour-one-out.jpg

I've always made this point with rookie QBs. How do you give them reps if they aren't starting and still develop them. This is one of the many reasons the Browns so often fail. They have no plan. What's the Eagles' plan? Bradford is the starter in a new system, Daniel the backup who was promised a chance to win the job, and a rookie that needs all the reps he can get at the NFL level

Eagles will try to trade Bradford.

Hindl

Eagles will try to trade Bradford.

It's the only thing that makes sense, but that would destroy locker room morale. A lot of the players like Bradford. Also, what team would take him? They know that the Eagles are trying to get rid of him. You could lowball the shit out of Howie right now

I can't believe Prince is dead. I listen to him everyday. I'm listening to him right now in fact. (It's Gonna Be Lonely - underrated song)

I honestly thought he'd be one of those guys that lived until 97 or some such. He must have been dealing with something he didn't disclose.

Tom Penny

Death is total BS. One of my best friends mom died of cancer. His dad met a women after a few years moved in.. She goes to the doctor last week and she has cancer. There is no logic to this shit.

It's not as if Wentz needs first team reps as he'll never see the field this year. Once Bradford is gone next year Wentz will get them all. It's not like you need first team reps to develop a QB for a season he's not going to play in. I mean hell, Chip Kelly had 4 people throwing in his training camps. They could have Wentz throw for the scout team/practice squad for a good number of reps.

It's the only thing that makes sense, but that would destroy locker room morale. A lot of the players like Bradford. Also, what team would take him? They know that the Eagles are trying to get rid of him. You could lowball the shit out of Howie right now

Why would it kill morale? Bradford was a free agent who very well may not have been resigned. Would that also have killed morale? They've been on vacation, it's not like they were standing around getting pep talks from Bradford all offseason.

It's not as if Wentz needs first team reps as he'll never see the field this year. Once Bradford is gone next year Wentz will get them all. It's not like you need first team reps to develop a QB for a season he's not going to play in. I mean hell, Chip Kelly had 4 people throwing in his training camps. They could have Wentz throw for the scout team/practice squad for a good number of reps.

Just throwing means nothing. Your QB needs time with the starters in the main offense. If Bradford was the guy, and Daniel his backup, that leaves rookie QB with zero. Just ask Curtis Painter how effective you can be with zero reps in the main offense.

Just throwing means nothing. Your QB needs time with the starters in the main offense. If Bradford was the guy, and Daniel his backup, that leaves rookie QB with zero. Just ask Curtis Painter how effective you can be with zero reps in the main offense.

Why does Wentz need time with the starters this season when he'll never be playing with them? Wentz needs coaching, technique, and film study more than he needs to develop timing and comfort with the Eagles starting receivers. Again, he's not going to see the field this year, so things like building a rapport and getting used to the timing of receivers can wait. Practice reading defenses, calling plays at the line, studying pro style offense and defense, and working on throwing technique are more important if he's not actually going to play.

Once Wentz is actually going to be playing he'll be getting all of those reps, and have a year of watching NFL games up close, studying film, understanding opposing defenses, and perfecting his technique under his belt. Then he can develop the timing and chemistry with his fellow starters.

Line_HTX

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 13m13 minutes ago

FA QB Brian Hoyer, who took a physical in Denver & finished up his #Broncos visit, will see his fate play out over the next week. No rush.

Elway must've given Ho Ho Ho some fine steak.

Bowser

Just a TAD disingenuous to compare Wentz to Painter, no?

This would be more like how Rodgers or Palmer were treated.

If we pretended Wentz was getting drafted by the Eagles next season it might make this easier. What's better?

A) Wentz starting the season with only an offseason taking the first team reps under his belt.

B) Wentz starting the season with a full year with the team taking reps at various times, studying film, working on technique and being coached at the pro level--in addition to a full offseason taking the first team reps.

Fantomex

If we pretended Wentz was getting drafted by the Eagles next season it might make this easier. What's better?

A) Wentz starting the season with only an offseason taking the first team reps under his belt.

B) Wentz starting the season with a full year with the team taking reps at various times, studying film, working on technique and being coached at the pro level--in addition to a full offseason taking the first team reps.

I am legit interested in finding out if it's better to sit and learn or learn as you play. But I'm not sure if the answer actually exists.

I think the Packers plan (sitting Wentz behind Bradford to let him learn) was what the Eagles were figuring.

My concern isn't so much with the QBs as the rest of the team. How far are the Eagles away from contention? Commitment to Bradford insisted that the FO thought they were close, investment in a new QB refutes that.

squicken

The Eagles have too many QBs. Chase needs to start with Wentz taking the backup reps. I kinda think they have to be looking to trade Bradford. Hopefully to Denver, but NYJ I guess would be in play. His salary offsets, which would help Philly

cdyhybrid

I dunno, if he's the third string QB he's not gonna get any reps. Some teams don't even carry a third QB. It's not good.

I think you have to trade either Bradford or Daniel, and Bradford sounds like he'd be fine with it being him.

I am legit interested in finding out if it's better to sit and learn or learn as you play. But I'm not sure if the answer actually exists.

I think there's so much to learn about playing at the pro level that a combination of sitting and learning and learning as you play is a good thing. I don't think Wentz rides the bench for three years or anything, but I think one year of riding the bench at the pro level is probably as good as two years of experience playing at the college level.

I think the Packers plan (sitting Wentz behind Bradford to let him learn) was what the Eagles were figuring.

My concern isn't so much with the QBs as the rest of the team. How far are the Eagles away from contention? Commitment to Bradford insisted that the FO thought they were close, investment in a new QB refutes that.

They aren't close to contending, but the division is fairly weak. They weren't going to get a better position to go after a top QB than this season. They also needed someone who was capable of starting if they couldn't move up. Now they are free to start or trade Bradford and see how things go.

I mean, I really hate this trade, but I'm trying to be a realistic optimist here.

Pepiope

I dunno, if he's the third string QB he's not gonna get any reps. Some teams don't even carry a third QB. It's not good.

I think you have to trade either Bradford or Daniel, and Bradford sounds like he'd be fine with it being him.
Bradford nets us a 1st. So if he has to go then I'm okay with it. Let him win a ring with Denver.

Spinluck

Celeb deaths rarely hit me in any way, but Prince was immortal in my mind. Dude's body of work is just ridiculous. I'm glad I lived during a time where his music was available to me. He will be missed.

effzee

They can't trade him unless he pays back the 11M signing bonus.

That would be 11M in dead money.

Eagles plan is to start Bradford, with back up Chase. Trade or cut Bradford next off season and go into the season with Wentz getting full starter level reps.

Unless Bradford and Chase both get hurt this season, Wentz won't be seeing playing time.

squicken

TUnless Bradford and Chase both get hurt this season, Wentz won't be seeing playing time.

It's not about playing time, but practice reps. Just throwing isn't what matters. It's running a practice with the starting unit on the field. Bradford is in a new offense and needs every rep. But Daniel is the backup and can't just stand around while Wentz takes the usual backup reps.

They have 3 guys needing reps and most teams have trouble getting their backups enough work

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Marie from Everyone Loves Raymond.

I feel like if you live to be 90 years old, it doesn't count.

I still think that there's only a perception of more celebrities dying simply because there are more celebrities than in years past. The internet has blown pop culture up like nothing else so everyone knows more and more celebrities than they used to.

Think about the age of 70s and 80s music and how many big names there were and statistically due to drugs and alcohol, loads more of those guys aren't going to make it to a ripe old age sadly. The problem is just going to accelerate more and more.

It's not about playing time, but practice reps. Just throwing isn't what matters. It's running a practice with the starting unit on the field. Bradford is in a new offense and needs every rep. But Daniel is the backup and can't just stand around while Wentz takes the usual backup reps.

They have 3 guys needing reps and most teams have trouble getting their backups enough work

Who do you think gets the most reps in preseason games this year on the Eagles roster? Bradford, Daniel, or Wentz?

To give you an example:
Code:
Name            ATT      COMP
Matt Barkley	52	27
Mark Sanchez	46	29
Tim Tebow	36	21	
Sam Bradford	15	13

And that's not counting Tebow's ridiculous 14 rush attempts.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Eagles won't get a first simply because they have no real leverage to get rid of Bradford.

By drafting a quarterback with the #2 pick, they're basically advertising that Bradford is gone in a few years anyway. It gives the appearance of a buyer's market.

They'd be real damn lucky to get a 2nd.

Pepiope

Eagles won't get a first simply because they have no real leverage to get rid of Bradford.

By drafting a quarterback with the #2 pick, they're basically advertising that Bradford is gone in a few years anyway. It gives the appearance of a buyer's market.

Denver won't be in position to win a super bowl in two years. Coaches can get fired in a few years. We don't have to deal him. If the offer isn't right then we keep a good quarterback. No harm.

While I agree with you on what they'll be able to get, you're not quite on the money here. Bradford's value will be determined by how many teams have a need at QB, not whether or not he's going to be with the Eagles long. I mean, Jets, 49ers, Broncos and Browns are obvious teams that will need something, but Drew Brees is on the final year of his contract and seems basically done. Who knows what will happen to Big Ben, but he can't keep bouncing back from injury every year. It could still be a sellers market next year.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Pretty sure Elway would prefer Kaep. You know, someone with some NFL success. And he's only willing to offer a 4th for him and wants him to take a paycut.

Top Bottom