• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bread

Banned
I hope you had a California crunchwrap in honor of your move
those things are delicious!

Yeah but it's terrible for you
no it's not, you're terrible for you

Yo Bead, if that apartment is going to be the gaf house, it needs to have an ocean view and a jacuzzi!
i'll just need someone to front breadstream inc $5000 for first month and deposit!

Your metabolism will fail you soon enough, my young friend :-(

Over the past 10 years I gained 25 kilos (same height) while not eating more/worse.
it already has :(

i will become a pot bellied pig if i eat all the bean and cheese burritos i want.

squicken

The NFL announced a new partnership with the CFL where NFL refs will work CFL games and CFL refs will get training with the NFL. Recently, the CFL added a booth official that can override any call as well as make calls. This is the thing that the NFL desperately needs. It's just so much easier to call a game off a TV screen

e:
Gruden on the Eagles' QBs

“I think that’s the biggest challenge that they’re going to have. When you look at the amount of reps that you can have with your team, that number is substantially less than it was five years ago with this new Collective Bargaining Agreement. So you’ve got to get a new head coach who is running a new offensive system. You better get it in gear quickly because the games are about to start. So who is going to get the reps and who is going to get the leftovers? You don’t have time to give three guys reps; you just don’t. If you do, you’re not running a real sophisticated offense. It’s hard to get one guy ready to go today, let alone two. So there could be a trade. I don’t want to start any rumors in Philadelphia, but if they do draft a quarterback with all they have invested in him, I’m sure they want to give him as many reps as possible, and that’s going to make somebody, I think, unhappy and perhaps expendable.”

ej4md5i.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
What's your guys take on taking out student loans to pay off credit card debt? I would be saving money interest wise, but I guess the downside is I can't file bankruptcy against student loans.

If you can pay it off in a year, I'd highly suggest just doing a balance transfer to a 0% credit card that also doesn't have a balance transfer fee. I think Chase might have one that gives you 0% for 15 months.

It's not even bankruptcy so much as credit card debt can be negotiated down if you get into trouble.

squicken

Something to watch: Both Robert Klemko and Louis Riddick mocked a trade between Cleveland and Miami for Elliott. Might be something already done?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The Washington Post takes an analytical look at the last 20 years of drafting. It's sortable by team, so it's pretty cool.

Since 1996, here is how the league stacks up by the average draft value:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers (16.37)
2. Indianapolis Colts (15.27)
3. Green Bay Packers (14.86)
4. Baltimore Ravens (14.71)
5. New England Patriots (14.71)
6. Carolina Panthers (14.31)
7. Jacksonville Jaguars (13.75)
8. Philadelphia Eagles (13.39)
9. New York Jets (13.32)
10. San Diego Chargers (13.18)
11. Cincinnati Bengals (13.13)
12. New Orleans Saints (13.05)
13. Seattle Seahawks (12.92)
14. Minnesota Vikings (12.91)
15. Chicago Bears (12.73)
16. Miami Dolphins (12.69)
17. Dallas Cowboys (12.62)
18. New York Giants (12.53)
19. Atlanta Falcons (12.47)
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (12.44)
21. Arizona Cardinals (12.3)
22. Denver Broncos (12.1)
23. Houston Texans (11.96)
24. Kansas City Chiefs (11.71)
25. Washington Redskins (11.7)
26. Tennessee Titans (11.55)
27. San Francisco 49ers (11.29)
28. Detroit Lions (11.1)
29. St. Louis Rams (10.85)
30. Buffalo Bills (10.79)
31. Oakland Raiders (10.66)
32. Cleveland Browns (9.55)

Gobias

Banned
Something to watch: Both Robert Klemko and Louis Riddick mocked a trade between Cleveland and Miami for Elliott. Might be something already done?

Fine by me until I saw Klemko having us pick Lynch. I just don't understand why we would get out of the situation of taking a risk like Wentz only to overreach on Lynch.

MechDX

Fine by me until I saw Klemko having us pick Lynch. I just don't understand why we would get out of the situation of taking a risk like Wentz only to overreach on Lynch.

So Sashi can still get a developmental QB to sit and learn a couple years while he sits on his giant pile of draft picks.

Browns fans need to learn this is what real NFL front offices do when the team needs a complete rebuild

Gobias

Banned
So Sashi can still get a developmental QB to sit and learn a couple years while he sits on his giant pile of draft picks.

Browns fans need to learn this is what real NFL front offices do when the team needs a complete rebuild

Real front offices still don't overreach on a QB in the first just because they need one i.e. Ponder, Locker, Gabbert, etc. I would be fine with Lynch in the second though he probably won't be there. Maybe if they really believed in Lynch but I don't see it happening

MechDX

Real front offices still don't overreach on a QB in the first just because they need one i.e. Ponder, Locker, Gabbert, etc. I would be fine with Lynch in the second though he probably won't be there.

Answered your own question. Draft is deep for defensive linemen (crazy deep) and good, non #1, wide receivers. Grab the QB while you can and you are still going to get instant impact players in round 2 and 3. Trading back up is also in play with an abundance of picks.

The Browns are truly in a great spot! they have been here before but completely wasted those picks. I think they may actually get it right this time. Browns fans have a hard time believing in this idea but you have to have some faith.

BG is finally gone and the curse might actually be lifting

effzee

I mean who knows. Bradford said he told his agent to get it done after talking to Howie and Doug. That would explain his reaction to the trade. If they told him he was their guy, and he told his agent to get a deal done, only for the team to turn around and make him a lame duck, then he would obviously be pissed

By the second half of the year he was the leader of the offense. For whatever you guys think of him, his teammates universally respected him. It's one of the reasons they cratered in the Sanchez games

He's hosted Ertz and Matthews at his home in the offseason. These are guys playing a bloodsport. There's more to it than money.

As far as the trade, objectively. There's no position like QB in all of sports. Every rule goes out the window. Howie did what was best for the team, I think. Lots of teams are going to need QBs in the next few years. Eli, Romo, Rivers, Ben, Palmer and Brady are all old. Chicago will move on from Cutler. Cleveland will always be in the top 5 potentially taking QBs. SF needs a QB. So do the Jets. There's just not enough inventory in the coming years, and Howie did what he had to do

Agree 100% with the above. If a team was willing to offer a first for him last off season when he was coming of 2 back to back ACL injuries, why wouldn't a team NOW in a desparate bind offer a 2nd or a 3rd? Again not saying its happening. The Eagles won't just trade him and lose out on the 11M they already paid him, but if he was available and a team wanted him, I think he would go for a 2nd or 3rd.

You never know with comments about "wanting to stay here" but the conventional thinking after Chip was fired was

1. Sam won't want to be back. He was just getting comfortable and playing well in Chip's system and would be upset they fired him. Reports are he was close to Chip so he might have been upset but it doesn't seem like it.

2. Howie and whoever the new coach would be, didn't want Sam. He wouldn't be their choice and they would want to start fresh.

The above 2 didn't happen. Sam wanted to be back, his teammates lobbied for him, and the FO, despite it being a Chip move, kept him.

So whether he ever lives up to his potential (I don't think he will), he hold value in a league desperate to find quality QB play. If he stays healthy and plays as well as he did the 2nd half of last season or better, he will be a hot commodity next off season at age 29 (I think).

Gobias

Banned
Answered your own question. Draft is deep for defensive linemen (crazy deep) and good, non #1, wide receivers. Grab the QB while you can and you are still going to get instant impact players in round 2 and 3. Trading back up is also in play with an abundance of picks.

I just feel like with an empty roster they're going to get the best value for every single pick they acquire. Although I guess none of this means fuck all right now because you never know anything with the NFL draft. Whatever happens, I believe in Sashi, Hue, and Moneyball

How the fuck are the eagles so high?

The list focuses on longevity. Specifically how many snaps each player has taken for their team vs their draft position.

That's why the Patriots are so high - even though they've run the gamut from shit to mediocre the past 7 or so years and have a ton of 1st and second round busts they've gotten a lot of value out of lower picks.

squicken

How the fuck are the eagles so high?

Except for the no Super Bowls thing, the Eagles have been a very well run team. Success with Vermeil, then Buddy, Reid, and Chip still had a good 3 year run. Like if you look at point differential or W-L or anything like that over the past 20 years, the Eagles are a top 8 team. They just got robbed by the Pats when Donovan choked and the Pats cheated

MechDX

The Seattle Seahawks trade down trade their first round pick for Desean Jackson select Chris Jones - DT from Mississippi State (6'6", 310lbs).

While Pete Carroll and John Schneider head one of the more unpredictable front offices in the league, their selections nonetheless frequently share certain characteristics:

1) Athleticism. Chris Jones put out good times on both the 20-yard shuttle and the 3-cone-drill, showcasing an exceptional ability to change directions and explode off the blocks. He also improved his vertical by 5 inches between the Combine and his Pro Day.

2) Physical gifts. Jones has rare length with 35" arms and 11" hand size. We all know hand size is the most important measurement in the NFL, and Jones has that in spades. Jones is absolutely massive already and is still growing into his frame.

3) Versatility. Pete absolutely loves versatile defensive linemen, as we saw with how he used Red Bryant and uses Michael Bennett. Jones can play either inside spot in a 4-3 and can even move outside like a 3-4 DE if Pete wants to use him like Red.

All this combined with the loss of rock-solid Brandon Mebane to free agency make Jones the choice. Some teams reportedly question his personality, claiming he seems aloof or "not serious enough", but Jones will be stepping into a veteran defense that prides itself on outworking and intimidating their opponents every week - I can't see the LOB letting Jones get lazy or complacent.

Did seahawks gaf do their pick? They had plenty of time....I'll just have to do it for them if it's not in soon.

um...

So the Eagles have not won a playoff game since 2008, and they fired a really good coach because he didn't get along with the team accountant, I mean gm. Lol at them being a top 10 franchise.

MechDX

I didn't bother to look that's why I asked,

Of course you didnt because your disrespect for Russell and my Seahawk brothers is painfully obvious. I shall save this post for week 1 of the NFL season when Russell and the Seahawks run all over the small handed freak Tannehill and destroy the Dolphins.

Of course you didnt because your disrespect for Russell and my Seahawk brothers is painfully obvious. I shall save this post for week 1 of the NFL season when Russell and the Seahawks run all over the small handed freak Tannehill and destroy the Dolphins.

Tannehill is playing defense now?

Bread

Banned
When I worked at Sony, Execs would have coke runs. Go to a fancy place to have lunch, powder their nose in the bathroom and come back to work 2 hours later. Just like Entourage. It was crazy. Bunch of idiots.
isn't that what everyone in LA does?

Top Bottom