• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 12 |OT| Shanksgiving

cdyhybrid

Ok congrats on a week one win against two rookies making their career debut. Clearly Dallas is the same team they were week one and the giants have their number after one game, I stand corrected.
When is the cut off for when regular season games start counting? I just want to know so I can discuss things accurately going forward.

We should start Kershaw at QB.

:p

giphy.gif

Ok congrats on a week one win against two rookies making their career debut. Clearly Dallas is the same team they were week one and the giants have their number after one game, I stand corrected.
That's not what I stated but congrats on getting all butt hurt for someone interjecting the factual outcome of a game where the Cowboys running game was, in fact stopped. All while you make the claim that no team has done so. Which is factually incorrect. The second game between these two teams may end up being totally different. The Giants may come out flat and the Cowboys offensive line may take that game over. Anything is possible but I'll say again that I like the match-up for us given that we have a very good run stopping defense and we did actually do a pretty good number on your offensive line week 1.

Now, was that really worth getting all hyper sensitive about?

BigAT

It's a good thing the Giants had 0 rookies playing in that game and Dallas is the only team in the NFL that is allowed to improve as the season progresses.

Striker

Chill brah. No one's gloating, he's just correcting your post.

Neither team is the same. The Giants defense had like seven new starters then and were in their very first game together, too.

Farooq

Banned
Hawks run D is 14th tied with the vikes both are giving up 100 a game. Ravens, Steelers, packers are all ranked ahead of them.

I don't think Seattle's defense rush Y/PG is indicative of their rush defense. Measuring rush defenses by yards per game is a bit flawed because it provides little context. Efficiency metrics are better indicators.

Casey Heyward leaves the vaunted Dom Capers defense only to go on to lead the league in interceptions so far this year
I was really hoping the Giants would look at him for the slot corner position in the offseason, too. He's played really damn well. Wade is not the answer there for us and DRC is likely not to be on the team next season.

Zeke

That's not what I stated but congrats on getting all butt hurt for someone interjecting the factual outcome of a game where the Cowboys running game was, in fact stopped while you make the claim that no team has done so. Which is factually incorrect. The second game between these two teams may end up being totally different. The Giants may come out flat and the Cowboys offensive line may take that game over. Anything is possible but I'll say again that I like the match-up for us given that we have a very good run stopping defense and we did actually do a pretty good number on your offensive line week 1.

Now, was that really worth getting all hyper sensitive about?
Yea seemed to workout well for the other teams that had high ranked run D's. Not hyper just tired of hearing wait until they play whatever team next style arguments. We'll find out what happens week 14 and I'm sure everyone in their mamas will invoke the "they kept zeke under wraps week one!" Leading up to that game.

Striker

I was really hoping the Giants would look at him for the slot corner position in the offseason, too. He's played really damn well. Wade is not the answer there for us and DRC is likely not to be on the team next season.
It's going to bum me out if they cut DRC, though it is extremely possible. Personally, I'm hoping he restructures and gets his cap lowered so he stays. He's been a valuable piece to this defense. Apple has had his ups and downs, and he'll get better; but it's nice to have three corners like that. Wade is poo, Hall was a nice gamble but he's past his prime, and there's also Coty Sensabaugh who's behind Wade. He may be the future slot guy if he's given a proper chance. Still need to draft a few more young guys to develop.

Zeke

I don't think Seattle's defense rush Y/PG is indicative of their rush defense. Measuring rush defenses by yards per game is a bit flawed because it provides little context. Efficiency metrics are better indicators.
Only player that scares me is wussel, scrambling qbs give Dallas fits always have. Let him run wild and watch him rip this team apart. Outside of that I like the matchup I think it's a team Dallas can matchup well against. Hawks have the ability to score quick but I don't necessarily think that's they way to beat Dallas. I really think they way to beat them is by doing what Dallas does. Long efficient drives that result in scores and gas the defense.

He has the tools to be a good WR. Hopefully the drops are just in his head and he will come back strong. Philly is a pretty tough place to screw up though, fans let him know.

They'd lose 500k plus whatever it costs to replace him. Howie isn't going to screw the cap like that.

Limas Sweed couldn't catch either. Steelers hung on to him in the hopes he could get over it, but he just never did.

Bitanator

Only player that scares me is wussel, scrambling qbs give Dallas fits always have. Let him run wild and watch him rip this team apart. Outside of that I like the matchup I think it's a team Dallas can matchup well against. Hawks have the ability to score quick but I don't necessarily think that's they way to beat Dallas. I really think they way to beat them is by doing what Dallas does. Long efficient drives that result in scores and gas the defense.

Dallas has contained the Hawks offense both times they played last, I'm not too worried about their offense if Dallas plays them, it is that Defense who has been there before and will toss everything at Dak they can, will be a fantastic game, needing pace makers at the ready

effzee

No idea if that was true or not but I would do it now in a second. Cox hasnt looked close to the same as last year this year. I thought he was supposed to shine in Schwartz's D but he has been invisible for a lot of the year. MM seriously looks like he could be one of the best QBs in the NFL soon, I would gladly give up a DT if I could get a top QB back.

I would have done it just to see Chip and Marcus together, finally running the offense how he always envisioned it.

I'll always wonder how that would have turned out. From the minute the 140-15 season ended I was convinced they should do whatever it took. Then near the draft I thought it was going to happen....

:(

Yea seemed to workout well for the other teams that had high ranked run D's. Not hyper just tired of hearing wait until they play whatever team next style arguments. We'll find out what happens week 14 and I'm sure everyone in their mamas will invoke the "they kept zeke under wraps week one!" Leading up to that game.
"Not hyper just tired of people saying Dallas won't win every game."

Gotcha.:)
..and yes I'm fucking joking with you before you decide to kick over a table or something.

Hate to tell ya, but broadcasts are about narratives and yeah that's going to be a substantial narrative coming in. Especially if Dallas goes into the game with the Giants handing them their only defeat on the season. It's a pretty natural storyline and the networks would be god awful stupid to not exploit it. Two big market teams, Sunday Night Football, both teams with winning records still vying for the division and the Cowboys only loss being against their division rival? In a year where NFL ratings are down? Who would have thunk to make THAT the storyline!?

I would have done it just to see Chip and Marcus together, finally running the offense how he always envisioned it.

I'll always wonder how that would have turned out. From the minute the 140-15 season ended I was convinced they should do whatever it took. Then near the draft I thought it was going to happen....

:(

Me to buddy. Hell Chip actually has Kap playing well, I cant even imagine what he would have done with MM.

..and yes I'm fucking joking with you before you decide to kick over a table or something.

Hate to tell ya, but broadcasts are about narratives and yeah that's going to be a substantial narrative coming in. Especially if Dallas goes into the game with the Giants handing them their only defeat on the season. It's a pretty natural storyline and the networks would be god awful stupid to not exploit it. Two big market teams, Sunday Night Football, both teams with winning records still vying for the division and the Cowboys only loss being against their division rival? In a year where NFL ratings are down? Who would have thunk to make THAT the storyline!?

Hush up Future and hand the Cowboys the Lombardi already.

Zeke

I just hope we don't meet in the playoffs I hate playing division rivals in the post season its just not right.

If I recall in 2007 we beat you in both regular season match-ups before losing in the playoffs. It's all going according to plan...

So is this admission that they completely wiffed on both Petty and Hackenburg?

Or is there some coach/gm-trying-to-not-get-fired fuckery going on

Yeah I dont understand why they wont give Petty a shot. Even knows Hack is garbage but I remember in the preseason there were reports about teams being interested in Petty. Season is over at least see what you have. Jets are going to let Fitz play out the year and then they will go into the draft not knowing if they need a QB or not.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
How cool would it be for their fanbase if the Raiders made the SB? Like talk about eating shit for 15 years then coming back strong.

Also, lol @ some of the rhetoric for or against the Giants. Any Giants fan who has watched this season knows how awful and good the team has been, with literally no predictor as to which team will show up. I fully expected them to lose to the Browns and Bears but was happy they won. Maybe relieved is the right word. It's really crazy how one team can go from completely dominant to total pushovers from one drive to the next in the same game. I think Matt Millen said the same thing when they got the JPP pick 6 then scored on the next possession with ease. Looked great there but they were awful the entire game up to that.

Shit they were down 16-6 to the Bears before turning it on.

gutshot

So no Matthews and Sproles will be limited. Gonna be a lot of Smallwood and Barner tonight. Hopefully those guys can carry the load.

I think those two aren't much of a downgrade tbh. Glad we are getting to see what these two can do so we can go into the offseason with a better idea of where we stand at the RB position.

I think those two aren't much of a downgrade tbh. Glad we are getting to see what these two can do so we can go into the offseason with a better idea of where we stand at the RB position.

Agreed, I feel like they have used Matthews way to much this year, especially in games he was struggling in. I really want to see Turner do well tonight, the offense desperately needs some one who can catch the fucking ball.

Edit: Just heard on wip that Nelson will not dress tonight. smh

Packers begin their 10 game winning streak today, fellas. Buckle up!

Casey Heyward leaves the vaunted Dom Capers defense only to go on to lead the league in interceptions so far this year
He was good in gb, though. Just constantly hurt, and iffy when we asked him to play outside.

How cool would it be for their fanbase if the Raiders made the SB? Like talk about eating shit for 15 years then coming back strong.

Also, lol @ some of the rhetoric for or against the Giants. Any Giants fan who has watched this season knows how awful and good the team has been, with literally no predictor as to which team will show up. I fully expected them to lose to the Browns and Bears but was happy they won. Maybe relieved is the right word. It's really crazy how one team can go from completely dominant to total pushovers from one drive to the next in the same game. I think Matt Millen said the same thing when they got the JPP pick 6 then scored on the next possession with ease. Looked great there but they were awful the entire game up to that.

It's not a Coughlin team anymore but in some ways it very much is.:)

gutshot

Agreed, I feel like they have used Matthews way to much this year, especially in games he was struggling in. I really want to see Turner do well tonight, the offense desperately needs some one who can catch the fucking ball.

Mathews is just so painfully average in every way. He's not worth the roster spot, especially at what they are paying him. May as well sit him the rest of the games and play the younger guys. If Smallwood and Barner can play well down the stretch here, I would be comfortable going into next season with a RB by committee approach of those two plus Sproles.

We definitely need an upgrade at WR though. Turner was a nice summer story, but he's not going to be the answer now or in the future.

BigAT

Yeah, I don't think I've ever been this pessimistic about an 8-3 team before.

I'll say this about the Giants, the offseason spending spree was necessary. Both because of the massive holes that needed filled and the amount of cap money we had. In the end, I think Jerry chose the right players for the team for better or worse. Even if he overpaid the hell out of some of them (sorry, I think Snacks is worth every damned penny of the 10m/yr he's getting). They are producing and making a difference on the defensive side of the ball every damn game. Jenkins has been the biggest surprise to me. I expected Asante Samuel 2.0. We got a much better player than that.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever been this pessimistic about an 8-3 team before.
Its the charmin soft schedule they've played. Outside of the Cowboys and maybe the Eagles who have been a never ending thorn in our side for years now - they've beaten no one of consequence. They played Minnesota when they were still riding high and got beaten. They got beaten by Green Bay pre-Rodgers collapse and even then the offense struggled against a very poor secondary.

The next 5 games will tell us a whole lot about what these Giants are.

Top Bottom